• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP27: Chim - Charred!

Lil Brother

is watching you
Reaction score
No thread yet? o.o Okay, I'll do it.

This week, Chimchar goes FREAKING INSANE.

Last edited:
Ugh. When will Ash learn? Paul sure knows how to use that Ursaring well. Fire tentacles of death. This is actually pretty scary. I wonder if Blaze was properly unleashed, because all of this tells me it wasn't. Paul wasn't kidding about untold potential, though. Good ep.

Gligar's so cute! :3

Seeing Paul battle a Drapion makes me wonder what kind of role he would play in a Hunter J episode...

So many good character moments when the twerps meet up with Paul. Chimchar running behind Ash (aw!), Pikachu waving to Electabuzz to show their newfound friendliness to one another, Paul getting on Ash for entering the Wallace Cup. Good point by Paul about the Tag Battle Tournament, hmm. Love the continuity.

"I'll take tails."
"Okay, then I'll be heads!"
Oh, Ash. XD

So much drama! Chimchar goading Paul to battle and Paul agreeing only because of Chimchsr, Paul choosing Gliscor and Gligar having to face its former leader. You gotta love all the ongoing subplots about Paul.

It's so weird to hear the word "Guillotine" being used as a command in a children's show, heh.

Ooh, Chimchar vs. Ursaring. Wonder if Chimchar's gonna get flashbacks to that abusive training. For a second there it looked like Chimchar was going to evolve. XP ...oh my Arceus, scary-as-hell Ursaring!

That's Blaze? It looks nothing like what Blaziken's Blaze did. ...which Ash comments on.

Ooooooh, so Paul was trying to activate Blaze all that time! That makes sense.

What's all this about encouragement and friendship causing Blaze? Is Brock forgetting that Blaze is caused by low health?

Mmm, Movie 5 music. Which is a bit too quiet. :/

Sucks to be Team Rocket. That was one hell of an explosion Chimchar unleashed on them. o.o

What's with all the Gligar focus as Chimchar loses it? Is this the beginning of a sub-plot of Gligar being terrified of Chimchar? That would be cool...

Why is it Ash screaming always snaps Pokémon out of whatever condition they're in?

Good episode, lots of character moments. The Chimchar and Paul storyline is probably the best of all of Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
Man this was an awesome episode. That argument between Ash and Paul was pretty intense. Who knew Ash was such a deep thinker? :p

"Are you sure it's the Secret Power that's got you scared?" Best line of the whole episode. :) Paul is such an ass...and I love him.

This episode proves that Pokemon is a LOT more story-driven than it used to be, and that Iwane has teh best animation EVAR.

To quote Tristan from Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series:

HOLY **** ON A ****ING SANDWICH!

Okay, I know that my Chimchar doesn't do that when Blaze is activated. That was pretty scary and I know I certainly wouldn't have wanted to get in his way. Chimchar looked ready to kill if Ash hadn't stepped in. I think Paul almost regrets giving up on Chimchar now. But it also seems like he's counting on Chimchar to be Ash's downfall. Unfortunately for Paul, I doubt that's going to be the case.

A very good episode, IMO.

Why didn't Paul just send out another pokemon to fight beserk Chimchar?
The twerps have 2 water types and 1 rock type!

Speaking of which, this is probably the most focus Sudowoodo will get for 20 episodes.

Lets just say all the focus on Gligar is a little thing called foreshadowing.

I couldn't watch today's episode. :-(

First off, I was very sleepy and couldn't bother to get the remote! lol

The second one, please PM me for this one. I can't exactly say it here.

Yeah, its eps like this that make you realize how much better Paul as a rival is being handled than Gary was.

Paul is actually involved in Ash's story and with one of Ash's Pokemon, and Gary in comparison was pretty detached for most of his run. Remember how he went MIA in Johto? But then again Johto screwed up all the main characters, so perhaps that is not being fair.

I love Chimchar and I can't wait till it evolves. Thank god we're not in for a Cyndaquil redux.

One of the rare times we see a one-hit KO move used in the anime (not very interesting from a plot standpoint,since they signifantly shorten the battle). It also deals with the fact that having Pokemon that spit fire may have some nasty consequences (notice that the number of fire-type pokemomn is vastly out of proportion with their existance in real life).

Ooh, this was a pretty good episode!

I liked the Ash VS Paul battle.

I felt sorry for Chimchar though, when it went crazy like that. =(

Anyway, that was an interesting argument between Paul and Ash. However, I was in full agreement with Ash though, as far as the proper way to train Pokemon goes.

Aww, that was a really cute sene when Ash comforted Chimchar, after it snapped out of its uncontrolled-Blaze. ^^

Also, I really liked the music which was kept in today's episode. They actually played two of my favorite Johto tracks! Including my most favorite piece of all, the Lance/Champion battle theme! YES!! :-D

Ooh, this was a pretty good episode!

I liked the Ash VS Paul battle.

I felt sorry for Chimchar though, when it went crazy like that. =(

Anyway, that was an interesting argument between Paul and Ash. However, I was in full agreement with Ash though, as far as the proper way to train Pokemon goes.

Aww, that was a really cute sene when Ash comforted Chimchar, after it snapped out of its uncontrolled-Blaze. ^^

Also, I really liked the music which was kept in today's episode. They actually played two of my favorite Johto tracks! Including my most favorite piece of all, the Lance/Champion battle theme! YES!! :-D

What was the second Johto track? I can't quite remember...

Well, I think the second Johto track was the rival battle theme.... O.O

Or maybe, it was a different version of the trainer battle theme?

Actually, I have no idea what the second Johto track from this episode is called, but I really like it. XD It's one of my favorite Johto tracks! ^^

I personally think "Chimchar goes Ape****" would've been a better title, but this is a kid show.

I really feel bad for Gligar. Personally, as much as I like Chimchar, I think it's the coolest Pokémon on Ash's team (after it evolves, of course).

Is it just me, or did Ursaring look freakishly scary?! Guess that's what Secret Power will do for ya.

And really, poor Chimchar. I can just say I'm glad Ash yelled for Paul to "Look out!" instead of letting him burn alive on the spot.

This episode made me love Paul. Oh my gosh, the coin toss was great. Yes, return of the coin toss!
"Kay, Paul, heads or-"
"Its tails"

And I actually laughed at team rockets knuckle sandwich joke. I havent actually laughed at anything TR said since "Berry Berry Interesting"

And of course, no VA comments, since theyre banned. But can I make a positive comment? I really liked Sarah's "Its Over!" to Chimchar. dunno why.

After one of the commercial breaks, it showed Paul from behind, and he looked like an older teenager. Like 16-17. It was kinda weird. Anyone else see that?

It's episodes like these that show just how far the show has come in 11 years. Most shows go downhill after such a long run, but Pokemon seems to do the exact opposite.

It's rare I praise the dialog in this show, but I really liked that whole conversation Ash and Paul had. It was a pretty deep conversation for this show, and it shows that Ash has definitely matured a lot from his Kanto days.

Chimchar going crazy was a great scene. You actually felt like he could seriously hurt someone and I loved how Ash put himself at risk to bring him back.

I also like how well Team Rocket was utilized. It's hard to figure out what to do with them in episodes like this, but they managed to get some nice screen time and not interfere with the plot. It's also nice how they're kept up to date on what's going on with Chimchar.

But Gligar really stole the first half of this episode. It looked so scared when it ran into Paul, then it went crying to Ash. I love how it just jumps on him all the time and gets so excited to battle but then gets freaked out when it comes time to actually battle. This is by far my favorite pokemon Ash has ever owned. I can't wait until we get to see it grow up a little and be in a gym battle.

Damn, this was an insane episode, I thought I was going to hear complaints but no. I just finished watching it, and I loved this episode better than the Japanese again.

And Ash and Paul conversation was awesome, I loved every minute of it. I seriously think one of these days those two are going to get physical. I'm a retard and yelling for them to fight XD.

And when Chimchar went insane, I was so impressed the performance there. Some real hard core screaming and emotion flying out. I really felt it, and most cases I feel netural or something else triggers my emotion.

Last edited:
Hot damn, I'm in the minority. I hated this episode. *no fan of Chimchar is I* The only thing worth watching it for was Gligar. 8D Ohhhh, such a cutie-pie~ ^_^ I want it~!

Random wind is random. Obvious plot device is obvious. Blow wind, blow. Was STUPID, but leads to quivering mass of Gligar in the face of Paul, so...not forgiven, but begrudingly accepted.

At least Electabuzz acknowledged Pikachu in that neutral way (likely so Paul doesn't hammer down on it for making a...comrad). And is it just me, or is Paul's Ursaring so overly violent than normal Ursaring (who are violent to begin with) that it's probably a perfect representation of him? Bastard.

I forgot how brutal this episode was. Paul's Pokemon have no qualms about head hunting and a winced at some of those hits. This episode really gave you the idea of what kind of power Pokemon wield.

I know I'm going to get some hate but I find the masochist Ash thing irritating. We know he loves his Pokemon but there's got to be better ways to calm down you Pokemon that don't involve great bodily harm.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom