• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP28: Cream of the Croagunk Crop!

Does the first person to post a picture from the dub get a cookie?

Yes. Under one condition.

That the picture is actually NOT the same one that Pokemon.com has (I just noticed that Pokemon.com has an edited picture of him).

WTF @__@"
Why would they bother to edit him for no reason at all?! Not to mention it probably took a lot of time/money/effort to edit him in a whole episode! X_X
Interesting though that some speculate the Japanese made two versions... but why would they do that?
I think it also lower from how he and the judge were supposed to look "strange"

Chances are this was an edit by the japanese animators due to legal reasons. Hiroki looked far too similar to the character he was supposed to be referencing, so if that were the case, it's completely understandable. I seriously doubt PUSA would go out of their way to change a character's hairstyle of all things, let alone making it look as (apparently) seemless as it was.

It's a shame really, since he was a unique looking character.
...well...sort of unique, I suppose.

I swear I've seen that hair on another character.[/QUOTE]
When in doubt, don a Masato wig.

I agree, it was most certainly a legal issue...
other then that it was an acceptable effort on the dubbers part...
I like the pieces of music they kept and the charcter's lines were fairly faithfully translated.

When in doubt, don a Masato wig.

Darn you for being quicker than me!

Or.. darn me for being slower than you?

Hm, either way it puts me in a bad light so I may as well use the accusation where you get a little blame too.

Hamilton looks hideous ;;
Then again, that image doesn't help when it looks like he's arrogantly picking his nose while having a frog plastered onto his shirt.

darn it! I hate CN. They changed their schedule again, and now I've missed the episode ><. *kills them*.

Image27.jpg

This character from an anime called Dokonjo Gaeru. His name is Hiroshi.

I figured since that anime isn't licensed in the US Hiroki wouldn't matter, but I guess it does to the legal department. It's too bad America (and probably every other country besides Japan) missed out on such a unique looking character.

This was such a cool episode. Croagunk have to be one of the coolest pokemon in the anime. The whole thing was just so crazy and bizarre that you can't not like it.

Crasher Wake is hilarious. He actually left his pokemon at his gym? lol And what's with all the gym leaders having other things to do before they can battle Ash?

It was also great hearing the origin of Carnivine, though I doubt Musashi's boots were desiner...

But the best part was Meowth being dressed up as a Croagunk. It's a bit hard to believe no one noticed considering how much they love Croagunk there, but whatever. Too bad the poor kitty hurt his paw.

Nurse Joy winning was a bit strange, but it was nice seeing a Joy do something different for a change. And I guess her Croagunk was the only female there? It would explain why Hamilton wanted to pair his Croagunk up with it.

PUSA did a pretty good job coming up with a song similar to Pokémon Ondo, but they could've used a better instrument than a cheesy organ.

Wow, this is the first major PUSA edit.

Reminds me of when 4kids would repaint the rice balls into sandwiches. :p

Aww, poor Kyle. =( *comforts*

As for CN, this is what happens when you change your schedule all of a sudden. You confuse everyone and end up losing your ratings!

I have to admit, that is an unusual edit.

It isn't too bad though, considering that the hair colour was like that in the Japanese version to avoid a lawsuit from the people involved in the original manga/anime that the character is based on.

What we may be looking at here is the very first instance of a Japanese paint edit.

Yeah, if PUSA did the edit then it was EXPERTLY done and we should be applauding their painting skills. I didn't even know that it was edited until I came on here.

That's why I think it was the Japanese who did it ;p

Paint edits really shouldn't be a bad thing. Though it is best to have as few as possible.

Under 4kids, the paint edits were mostly done for the most pointless of reasons:

Completely editing out Japanese things.

However, paint edits that would allow the anime to be airable in the US, and to avoid a lawsuit would be fine.

It was a smidge Mark Twain-y for me, and I think the dubbers may have been thinking the same thing the way the natives sounded. But, I got a kick out of it. Their reaction to Meowth was a surprise, considering they could tell the differences between the real ones who all looked alike. I guess that was the gag, though. Was kinda hoping Brock's won, though I guess it's too much to ask for a non-native to win a competition (like Aipom's intro, IIRC).

The time when everyone was complaining about Onigiri-paintovers are OVER!

Now that's time for CHARACTER REPAINTINGS!

so are you still going to commit that public suicide like you promised?

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom