• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP28: Cream of the Croagunk Crop!

Because changing a Character of the Day's hair is so much worse than changing Japanese food to Western food, right? -_-

Anyway, PUSA might not even be responsible for this. They could easily have been sent an already edited copy. Maybe the guys in charge of the other anime complained so the Japanese guys edited the episode to avoid further trouble.

If this episode ever gets a DVD release or a re-airing on a certain channel in Japan, then we'll know for sure...

so are you still going to commit that public suicide like you promised?

No, because they didn't call him "Hiracio".

I didn't say I'll commit suicide if they repaint his hair, I said I'll comit one if his dub name is "Hiracio". So sorry, I'm not commiting public suicide!

Because changing a Character of the Day's hair is so much worse than changing Japanese food to Western food, right? -_-

Yes. Because it's MAJOR change. Changing food is one thing but a CHARACTER is the other. Maybe you care about food more than characters. But I don't.

It's most likely the Japanese that edited him. It's much easier for them to change the colors than it is for PUSA. It looked way too clean for it to be anyone else.

After seeing the episode properly, I have to say that I enjoyed it. It's nice to see a glimspe of the culture of a small town and it's traditions.

I e-mailed the Pokemon.com mailbag for all the good that'll do. I even added a question about putting the Japanese episodes on DVD.

This wasn't even just a simple hair color change and removing the glasses. Hamilton's hair style is completely different. You'd think whoever owns the rights to that manga and anime would be flattered and appreciate the promotion.

And It was a major change to avoid a lawsuit, most likely. Is that not an acceptable reason?

But if the Japanese version had no problems with that, why would American version have?

They're probably just overreacting. Just like 4Kids with their edits in the past, they were afraid that the kids would be scared of Japanese food, so they repainted it to Western Food. Of course, NOTHING would happen if they actually retained that Onigiri. I think that was also the case here. PUSA was simply hell afraid of a lawsuit, though if they left Hamilton's fuckin' design alone, NOTHING would happen because the Japanese version had no problems with that (if they had a lawsuit, we would surely know about that).

Has the japanese version of the episode ever been aired aside from it's premeire?

I don't think the hair thing is all that serious, but I think the Japanese animators did do the edit. Ya see, yesterday when I was looking at Bulbapedia's episode guide for this episode, it had a picture the version of Hamilton we got today. Also on that Filb.com site, I noticed the Japanese preview clip had Hamilton with the changed hair.

PUSA was simply hell afraid of a lawsuit, though if they left Hamilton's fuckin' design alone, NOTHING would happen because the Japanese version had no problems with that (if they had a lawsuit, we would surely know about that).
We don't even know if it was PUSA.

The Japanese have edited the show themselves before. Remember after the Porygon incident, the lights in the first batch of episodes were made darker?

Like pianoplaynfool said, if it was the Japanese producers, they aren't going to send America the uncensored version and keep the censored version to themselves.

I've seen this episode and I probably wouldn't have noticed the hair edit. It was a pretty funny episode but did anyone else thing that the English title sounded a little wrong?

You don't understand though. If the animators got threats of a lawsuit, then every subsequent airing IN ANY COUNTRY would have to be redone to avoid suing.

That's right, if they did get threats of a lawsuit.

But they DID NOT.

I don't think that Japanese animators did that just to "be on the safe side". They would do this from the very beginning if it was so!

Hardly. They likely didn't ask for permission to render a character so closely to the original source. A threat of a lawsuit is different from being sued from the get-go, meaning it's quite acceptable to think that after its premiere airing, someone pulled someone else aside and asked for a change, because someone else outside the company was not happy and said so.

That's right, if they did get threats of a lawsuit.

But they DID NOT.

I don't think that Japanese animators did that just to "be on the safe side". They would do this from the very beginning if it was so!

Unfortunately, if that were true, then the Porygon episode wouldn't have been so conterversial.

The fact is, simply, you won't know until you try. Why would the Japanese have the ability of hindsight in this case? (Oh please tell me I used that correctly) They aren't going to just know if the creators of that one show were going to sue them until after the episode aired.

PUSA as far as I know has never done these types of edits, why start now?

Image27.jpg

That show must have been made like 20/30 years ago, judging by the art. wow.

They aren't going to just know if the creators of that one show were going to sue them until after the episode aired.

Well you know, they could always just ask the original creators beforehand if they'd mind Pocket Monsters paying an homage to their character/show in this way.

Is anybody else getting vibes of Eric Idle threatening to sue the creators of Shrek 3 over the coconut gag?

Actually he looks like a whole diffrent character then the japanese one. It's not only the hair. It's the hair, the eyes and the shape of his head is drawn diffrently.
Look at these 2 pics. It's from the same scene and they look really diffrent. So actually i think it's not just an edit but i think they drawn a whole diffrent character for the dub. I dunno but he looks kinda like Kellyn, the pokemon ranger from the previous episode but with a diffrent hair style.

pic1-6.jpg
pic2-3.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think PUSA is that good.

I did notice there was a difference when I first saw Hamilton, the main feature I did remember was the sunglasses, other than that I didn't seem to remember the other features that changed. Later I found out it was also the hair.

Now I'll admit I first blamed PUSA. But honestly it doesn't make sense. Why would PUSA edit the character.

But now reading the good arguments, and the actual differences between the two (though I did change my mind when I heard the arguments), I don't think PUSA is responsible.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom