• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP29: Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu! (Part 1)

You know it's been well done dub episode when the only complaint is the name of a character.

I was thinking the same thing reading through this thread. *L*

Another great episode. I've become very impressed with the DP series overall, especially since I was getting bored with the whole cartoon during the Advanced years. I've especially enjoyed the way the series has many recurring characters and themes, including callbacks to the movies, nods to fans who have been paying attention. Unlike most other cartoon series, Pokemon just seems to get better with age. I just hope the Hunter J and Team Galactic storylines don't peter out like the Team Magma/Aqua storyline in the Advance series.

I was rather surprised to hear so much silence in the dub that only a few seasons ago was was wall-to-wall music. Granted, it probably won't last, but it is nice that PUSA hasn't been shoehorning music into every second (and not as schizophrenic with it as 4Kids was, with a different piece of music playing ever five seconds). In fact, as a whole, the PUSA dub has greatly improved since the first shaky season and in my opinion, has surpassed 4Kids' best efforts in every way (though I'm sure many will disagree with me).

I just finished watching the episode, (I recorded it, had to work) and I was impressed with it. I didn't expect for PUSA to keep all the BGM on there. Maybe since this is a special episode is the only reason.

Although, is it me, or did Riolu voice is the same or different. Sorry if it been asked, but I couldn't really tell apart.

And I don't see anything wrong with Kellen, its just a name. Maybe its made up or got it from out of the blue, but he had a nice voice.

I can't wait for part 2, although I wish I knew sooner about the change of its airdate.

Just you watch; they kept all the music this week and will get rid of it all next week or in later episodes to compensate for it.

*Shot*

Last edited:
And I don't see anything wrong with Kellen, its just a name.
It's Kellyn. I think the problem is that that spelling is generally considered feminine, and since that's so, they (apparently) might as well have named him Kiera or Kimberly. Personally, I don't care. It sounds enough like Kellen/Kellan to me.

Maybe its made up or got it from out of the blue
It's Gaelic and possibly Germanic.

Last edited:
I rather like it. The brief window provided into Ash's aura capacities and connection with Riolu has been great... as are the battles so far. I'm also very chuffed to hear all the Japanese BGM retained, as I feel all the BGM used is both foreboding on every account (what's not in the immediate moment), humoring, poignant, tense, and vivid at the same time (with very good dramatic beats). I also enjoyed hearing Movie 5's and 8's Japanese BGM. The BGM speaks bounds for itself. And "Creeping Shadow" track (used when Ash and co. first encounter Riolu in this part) is a track I haven't heard since the Johto, Orange Island, and Kanto days, so hearing that (despite that I feel it's application could have been a bit more spot-on, to be assiduous, given that I feel it's best used in moments without trappings - moments of dark, sparring suspense and uncertainty) was great.

I too find the Hunter J moments and episodes to be good. Overall, a great first part. I'm looking forward to the second part with much anticipation.

Last edited:
Loved it, but why couldn't they have shown the two eps together.

Hows this for a coincidence; the part with J's ship swooping down my brother was listening to the some star wars music (as in the 'Imperial march'), so cool!

It was titled "Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu Part One" so my DVR didn't catch it on record.

Needless to say, I'm terribly upset. :(

At least your programming guide works. Mine has steadily declined this week in terms of accuracy and completeness of listings.

I think the reason this episode kept its music is that the music had for the most part been licensed previously (mostly for movies). It also may have to do with the fact November is sweeps month and they could put more effort/money into keeping the original music. As I've said before, there is no "single answer" explanation as to why music does or does not get kept.

Well for the most part I thought this was well done. I still can't get over all the henchman dialogue before the opening, though. It sounded as if a different person wrote each line... just my thoughts though, the rest was great.

Loved it, but why couldn't they have shown the two eps together.

Hows this for a coincidence; the part with J's ship swooping down my brother was listening to the some star wars music (as in the 'Imperial march'), so cool!
If you didn't notice, next weekend is when Toys 'R' Us is promoting the game.

I think the reason this episode kept its music is that the music had for the most part been licensed previously (mostly for movies). It also may have to do with the fact November is sweeps month and they could put more effort/money into keeping the original music. As I've said before, there is no "single answer" explanation as to why music does or does not get kept.
If that were the case, PUSA should keep all of the music from movies 4-9 whenever they appear, and not use anything from movies 1-3. That isn't the case.

Can we watch an episode and not bitch about the music every single episode?

Seriously, you people just as bad as the people who complain about the VAs. Give it a rest already. >_>

Anyway, this is really something. J's attack really seems to show how mature the anime has gotten since Season 1.

To sum things up, J's awesome. Period.

Satisfying! Great ep, great plot and cast.

Kellyn's a little hottie. The name doesn't bother me too much.
Hunter J is a wicked character. Love her.
Ash is still stupid. lol (but that's old news)

My mom walked by when Ash was doing his aura thing- and she says, "Oh, he has ESP now?" Yup.

It was a really good ep, Pokehunter J is the best character to be introduced into the series in a long time, besides Paul of course. Using Salamence's flamethrower to burn down the forest to force Ash out of the woods was great.

It really is a shame Pokemon took so long to get good. Why couldn't we have stuff like this back in the Johto years?

Its a shame its taken so long, especially given Pokemon only has half the audience now than it used to. If Pokemon was like this back during the fad years, this show would have been loved a lot more back then.

If Pokemon was like this back during the fad years, this show would have been loved a lot more back then.

I actually disagree with that. I think the reason Pokemon became so popular was the crazy humor of it. Another huge factor, possibly the biggest, was the adventure of it. Season 1 really stressed the aim to be a Pokemon Master and as the dubbers said, Chatch em All! so the whole excitement of Ash's journey really helped it along. Plus it was a totally new show and idea back then...

regarding the episode, that Kellyns a little hottie. To bad they gave him a chick name, that bugs me. I really love how he says "Battonage" so quickly. It reminds me of one of those japanese cartoons-oh wait...

and its official. I cannot stand Dawn. Shes just gotten annoying in the last few months. After DP067, I just... havent seen anything interesting with her. So yeah.

After watching this episode, i got some points:
- the music in this episode was... weird. I know, original music and all, but... somehow it sticked out.
- i still don't know what the word "battonage" means, if it's the real word.
- where did you guys get the "Ash is Aura user" reference? There's NONE. It says that EVERYTHING has an Aura and just Ash's and Riolu's are "synced up". Nothing about Ash having some unique ability.

I think the reason Pokemon became so popular was the crazy humor of it.

Wait... WHAT?

Wait... WHAT?

Watched Kanto recently? It was very silly and lighthearted. Pikachu was almost always doing cute/funny things, even in the background of "boring" scenes.

Or do you simply disagree?

- where did you guys get the "Ash is Aura user" reference? There's NONE. It says that EVERYTHING has an Aura and just Ash's and Riolu's are "synced up". Nothing about Ash having some unique ability.

You're right. It was like they said everyone can do what Ash can if they just have the same aura :S I think that was totally wrong :O

About the rest of the episode: LOVED IT! they kept in all the BGM, love the action in this special and the storyline is just great.

Watched Kanto recently? It was very silly and lighthearted. Pikachu was almost always doing cute/funny things, even in the background of "boring" scenes.

Or do you simply disagree?

I'm trying to rewatch... and maybe you're right, but i doubt the franchise's popularity has anything to do with that.

Oh, random note - titlescreen looks godawful with that font. BF/DP had it a lot better.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom