• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP29: Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu! (Part 1)

If that were the case, PUSA should keep all of the music from movies 4-9 whenever they appear, and not use anything from movies 1-3. That isn't the case.

As I said, there is no "single answer" to why some music is kept and other music isn't-only possible explanations for each case. I know that's not a very satisfying answer, but that's probably all you'll get.

What an amazing and breath-taking episode!
After "Chim-Charred", this was the second episode in a row which was full of action, excitement, and maturity. And it even surpassed the first one! Great!

Poor Riolu! Having been kidnapped by two different villainous groups and being still chased by Hunter J, this awesome Pokemon is indeed going through awful times. Like Ash, I really feel sorry for it as well (perhaps, Ash AND I are able to sense Riolu's aura. This would be awesome!)
And that brings me to the next aspect: This whole aura-concept sure was excellent. I love it! Moreover, the fact that it is actually Ash who is blessed with the ability to sense Riolu's and Lucario's aura is just incredible for me as an Ash-Fan. All I can say is that I'm entirely delighted by it.

But I also liked this Kellyn. He proved himself a worthy "co-hero" and I liked his performance while he was fighting against J's men!

I'm moving on to the main antagonist of today, J: wow, this woman was scarier than ever before. I don't say she frightened me, but she definitely appeared even more threatening than in her pervious two episodes.

Odd...Serebii had this airing on the 11th.

"The J is for Jerk." Never have I laughed so loud at a dub joke.
--> WORD!!

All I know is now I want to train a Lucario.
--> I had already known that even before this episode! ^^

And now, let's talk about the second outstanding element besides Riolu and heroic Ash: the action!
There were Sharpedo breaking through the bottom of our hero's boat which could as well have been taken from the four-part movie "Jaws" featuring a great white shark. Anyway,those Pokemon really gave me a fright! :scared:
Then we had rocks threatening to fall on Ash, Dawn ,Brock and Kellyn and a huge wildfire, caused by J's wanton and almost cruel behavior.

Well, this episode sure bowled me over and I enjoyed every second of it! Great work and great entertainment!
I'm very keen to see how Ash will cope with J and that dangerous situation he was in at the end. Show this "hussy" (direct quote from Jessie) who's the boss, Ash! ;-)

8 out of 10 points!

I've been meaning to ask you how come you never rate an episode you fully enjoyed 10/10 or even 9/10? From reading all that I'd expected higher.

hehe, that's a good question, but my ratings are not as illogical as they may seem. Let me explain:

9/10 is reserved for just overwhelming and unique episodes, when you jump for joy and when you are completely delighted by the plot, certain charakters and their stunning acts as well as extraordinary Pokémon

10/10 is basically the "comparative" of 9/10 and the "superlative" of all other ratings. A Pokemon episode awarded with 10/10 would be an ultimate episode of a kind. Something that exceeds all expectations, something without precedent

You see, rating this week's episode with only 8/10 doesn't mean that it wasn't good enough to be considered fantastic. On the contrary! In my rating system I just need a "supply" for overwhelming episodes as mentioned above.
So, 8/10 is already the best a great episode can be awarded with! Clear as mud,isn't it

Well, that was a short explanation of the rating system drafted by ash_forever
All rigts reserved :D

hehe, that's a good question, but my ratings are not as illogical as they may seem. Let me explain:

9/10 is reserved for just overwhelming and unique episodes, when you jump for joy and when you are completely delighted by the plot, certain charakters and their stunning acts as well as extraordinary Pokémon

10/10 is basically the "comparative" of 9/10 and the "superlative" of all other ratings. A Pokemon episode awarded with 10/10 would be an ultimate episode of a kind. Something that exceeds all expectations, something without precedent

You see, rating this week's episode with only 8/10 doesn't mean that it wasn't good enough to be considered fantastic. On the contrary! In my rating system I just need a "supply" for overwhelming episodes as mentioned above.
So, 8/10 is already the best a great episode can be awarded with! Clear as mud,isn't it

Well, that was a short explanation of the rating system drafted by ash_forever
All rigts reserved :D

Well, what episode deserved a 9 out of 10 to you until now? Has there ever been a 10 out of 10?

Hilarious when J set the forest on fire using her Salamence and Team Rocket took cover in their own hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol lol :D

This was a great episode. There were some good lines. I liked the incorporation of Hunter J as well. I really liked the very first BGM that played...we hadn't heard it in a while.

By the way, in response to an earlier post, I think everyone is happy that PUSA kept the BGM, so I'm not sure why anyone would think that people were complaining...

Also, there were no credits for "original score" in the US production section. So it was definitely Japanese. The composer for the US dub is John Loeffler, he is assisted by Manny Corallo.

The Japanese BGM is really great and it was nice for a change.

Grade: 8/10

I'm pretty sure people are complaining because we're sure it's not gonna last , and that perhaps because of this stunt, we might lose even more of the original score in upcoming eps. It could be that, being in the special/movie-esque catagory, it might fall under some special deal or something, but in any case, it's not gonna be fun to go back...

- where did you guys get the "Ash is Aura user" reference? There's NONE. It says that EVERYTHING has an Aura and just Ash's and Riolu's are "synced up". Nothing about Ash having some unique ability.
Well, right after Kellyn mentioned something about Ash's Aura - everyone gasped! It seemed like Kellyn's comment really caught everyone by surprise (except for Ash, of course).

And as for Ash's Aura being unique/Ash being a user of Aura, I predict we'll find out about that during next Saturday's episode. Or, at least, I'm hoping they'll say something about that anyway.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't care about the spelling, but Kellyn (the pronunciation of it) sounds male.

If it was a female name, why wouldn't they just use Kelly, that makes more sense (to me)then Kellyn. The first time I heard Kellyn or saw Kellyn (Nintendo Power) I immediately thought it was a male name.

As for the episode, I liked it.

This was a pretty cool episode. The animation and music was great, kinda felt like a mini movie. It was good to see J back and I can't wait to see what happens next week.

After watching the dub, who was the first set of people who stole Riolu working in the lab? I figure the people who took it away in the truck and broke into that place in the beginning were Pokehunter J's men, but who were those other guys experimenting on it at the beginning?

They weren't J's men. They hired her to get Riolu for them, but they weren't *her* men. The first set was just another group that kidnapped Riolu first.

Well, what episode deserved a 9 out of 10 to you until now? Has there ever been a 10 out of 10?

- "Top- Down Training" (Cynthia!!:crush:)
- Lance episodes
- both Anabel episodes
- Episode in which Ash acted especially heroic :yahoo:
- The battles, and above all the finals, in the respective leagues (including the Battle Frontier finals)
- And all the episodes that are yet to come, for example "The Charge of Team Galactic", "Darkrai vs. Cresselia", "Riley and Lucario" ... They're just bound to be fantastic!
- movies 8 and 10

Well, after having watched this episode again, I've got to admit that even this one deserves 9/10! Just awesome!

- Lance episodes
Hehe, I loved "Gaining Groudon" and "The Scuffle of Legends".

Although, we are getting a bit off-topic now. XD

We have to stick to talking about the first Riolu episode. =)

- Episode in which Ash acted especially heroic :yahoo:
Yeah! I love it when Ash acts heroic!

That's what he does best, save Pokemon from being harmed. ^_^

Last edited:
So they're doing the Riolu episodes first, then onwards to Pastoria's Great Marsh? Smart idea. That's the way it should be done.

Okay, he didn't need to say "Part 1". And I can already see all the Aura-Ash juices flowing, first with Ash sensing Riolu's presence, then seeing it attack Ash with Aura Sphere. So that's how they're giving away a Riolu with Aura Sphere in Ranger...

Wow, I thought that Ranger was a young kid, but sounds like he's older than Ash. I don't mind his name, even if it's not Kellen. Funny how we see a Yanma flying by...with no certain Yanmega...

Haha, "those thugs". Don't they know who Ash is yet? It sounds so weird when they say "Battonage". That small statue of Riolu looks like a voodoo doll. The animation looks different on Jessie. And I do like the silent scenes. This Ranger, known as Kellyn, still sounds old even though he looks young.

Alright!! This is why I say Ash and aura = fucking awesomeness. I don't get why you guys are so against this. Okay, so Ash doesn't care at all about it, but he's not abandoning his use of Aura. Riolu sent it to him, and Ash took it, he didn't ignore it. This is how I see that there's more in store for Ash and aura. But nothing on him getting a Riolu, I could care less.

Heh, the same beeping sound as a Pokedex IDs a wild Pokemon. Love it how Brock knocks Ash out of the way just to see Solana. Dawn annoyed me with that "wow, it's a girl Ranger!". Feel sorry for Kellyn in the middle. Although it was nice seeing Solana, it wouldn't be bad if we saw the female counterpart, "Hitomi". That grunt addresses J as "sir"? What kind of grunt is he??

Yay for Floatzel! And what timing when we see it again under Crasher Wake three episodes later. But I don't like its voice. Perhaps it's a female. Haha...Riolu practicing Aura Sphere...sure it's not the Kamehameha Wave? XP I'm pretty sure that music theme is from Movie 8? Very nice. So J loves making massive forest fires just to smoke (pun coincidental) out Riolu? Ain't that sad...

Anyway, this episode was alright too. The plot's kinda interesting. At the beginning I thought the scientist was part of the good group, and the other ones taking it away were bad. But now, they're all bad, and Riolu just wants to go back. Demand must be pretty high for a Riolu. An Aura Sphere Riolu, that is.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom