• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP50: Shield with a Twist!

That thread is for the rest of the season. It's probably best to keep doing American threads every week for those that don't want to be spoiled.

Also, hooray for Jessie! :-D

Odd thought about the background: I was not expecting to see those stained glass windows from the game. It's not exact, but it's nice to see them. "The needs of one outweighing the needs of many." The writers have been watching Star Trek? That's a neat way to use Hypnosis. What? Hax! Only in the anime... Naming non-existent moves? Ugh... Meanwhile, Jessie is getting another ribbon... It's got a circle mouth on its x mark. Whismur eyes again. Again, there is no way a boat can get from Hearthome to Canalave. Whatever. Interesting ep, even as battles go.

"The needs of one outweighing the needs of many." The writers have been watching Star Trek?

Hee! I caught that...it was a nice shout out, nothing like the classics...

Naming non-existent moves? Ugh...

Well, they've always given "nicknames" to combinations...Ice Aqua Jet, etc. This one just didn't have the names of the moves in it, but since it can use multiple moves, that wouldn't work for this one.

there is no way a boat can get from Hearthome to Canalave. Whatever.

...I thought they were going to walk to Canalave, then take a boat from there to the island....

They go to canavale on a zeplen

My favorite part of this episode was Fantina's scream when her pokemon died it never got old

That was awful. really cheesy. Counter Shield? And they seemed to be just adding things in once for a single show, then never speak of it again

They go to canavale on a zeplen

Woohoo! All hail the mighty blimp! Bliiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmp!

My favorite part of this episode was Fantina's scream when her pokemon died it never got old

LOL, forgot about that. It reminded me of Jessie...

That was awful. really cheesy. Counter Shield? And they seemed to be just adding things in once for a single show, then never speak of it again

*facepalm*

...this is gonna be another one of those "why can't the anime be more like the games?" issues, isn't it...?

I don't see why they'd "never speak of" this useful move again, when they've been using the "spin" technique consistently since its introduction.

Last edited:
At least the title makes sense now.

I do have to ask: the judge, was he done by Billy Beach/Jimmy Zoppi/whatever he's calling himself these days? or was it someone else?

^I'm not sure. He sounded very familiar to the judge at the Seven Stars Restaurant though. Did Zoppi do the judge there?

At least the title makes sense now.

I do have to ask: the judge, was he done by Billy Beach/Jimmy Zoppi/whatever he's calling himself these days? or was it someone else?

It was by whoever voices James (I don't keep track of who voices what). Their voices were extremely similar.

Unfortunately, similar =/= definite without hard vocal markers. *spent a while making herself crazy trying to peg the IT marker that would/could prove Mewtwo was voiced by Dan Green under a pseudonym; never found it*

It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I would like the name on record.

Yeah, I was wondering about that title. Anyway, that Counter Shield strategy was actually pretty cool; I'm looking forward to seeing more of it like we have with Ice Aqua Jet and that spinning techmique (has that been named?).

And honestly, seeing Pokémon battles in real-time with actual strategies and movements that could only be applied in real life (well, kinda) is one of this show's high points, guys. Why does everything have to be exactly like the limited battle system in the game? It's only like that because, you know, it's a game. Actual battling would be much more intricate.

Having the Team Rocket interludes be dedicated to Jessie winning a ribbon was a stroke of genius.

Neat, they played (using my prefered English translations) Flying Poké Ball Chaos from the Japanese Movie 1 score and Going to Latios from Movie 5, two of my favorite Pokémon tracks. :p

Probably one of the better Sinnoh Gym battles all in all.

Let's take a break from battle complaining and have some Team Rocket complaining.

First of all, I didn't like all that "Mine mine mine!" stuff when she got her ribbon. I know PUSA would have a problem with that "Ro GET to Dan" thing when she won her ribbon, but that was a bit much.

James: Number one! Our Jess!

Kojiro: I'm so happy for you, Musashi!

And heaven forbid James says he's happy for her. :rolleyes:

However, this is just a minor nitpick compared to my main problem, which was at the beginning of the episode:

James: Ooo, breaking news. I see the Magelica Contest is to be held today.
Meowth: Heh. If I could get my paws on a piece of that action, we'd be wallowing in dough.
Wobbuffet: Woba!
Jessie: You will. Well, at least, one of us will.
Yanmega: Yan yan!
Jessie: This contest exists for one reason only, to find the world's Top Coordinator. Me!
Meowth: But Jessie, what about we!
Jessie: Number 1!
James: The needs of one outweighing the needs of many.

Kojiro: "Starting today: The Pokemon Contest Kawarake Tournament", huh?
Meowth: It says that it's a special event as part of a town revitalization project.
Sonansu: Sonansu!
Musashi: What good timing we have!
Megayanma: Yan yan!
Musashi: If that isn't a tournament being held just for us! Aim to be a Top Coordinator! Let's go!
Nyasu: Hey wait, Musashi!
Musashi: Go, go! This feels good!
Kojiro: She operates on her own pace as always.

Aside from yet another case of "Jessie must be a bitch and James and Meowth must be mad at her" PUSA omitted some important information about the Contest.

I'm also really lost on how they'd be "wallowing in dough". Since when do you get money, let alone a lot of money, for winning a contest? It just doesn't make sense. Especially since this is never mentioned again and they seem happy she won her second ribbon.

I'm glad that "Number 1" stuff wasn't in the original. Now that I know that, I can easily re-interpret it: instead of Jessie being a bitka, I can say it was Jessie teasing/giving James and Meowth a hard time, as well as indulging in a very mild form of self-mockery.

Before you say "yeah, right!", keep in mind that Jessie has shown an awareness of, and even a tiny hint of a sense of humor about, her own selfish tendencies on a few occasions, rare though they may be.

(Of course I can't call any to mind right NOW, but I do have a similar thing from another series: there was this one time I remember on Angel when Cordelia said something just a tinge more shallow, selfish and rude than usual (just slightly exaggerated, nothing huge) and when no one in the office responded/reacted at all, she sighed and said "No one gets my humor.")

Jessie's so melodramatic, sometimes to ridiculous levels of over-the-topness, it's foolish to think she never uses it for silliness or to tease her partners.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

;-)

Counter-shield, eh? What are the odds that'll be an actual move in the 5th gen games? Kinda like Nature Power or Hidden Power?

Wow. Simply wow. Jessie needs to keep her hair like that more often. But, of course we know Jessie can't sing. I think I heard my screen crack.

She can too sing, she practically sings half of what she says as it is. ;-) I guess she just didn't warm up properly before she went for that high note.

Jessie (and Musashi. She can be a bit screechy as well) being able to sing well all the time would be a bit too on the nose, so I find it extreamly amusing even though she took it a bit too far today.

I'm surprised people are complaining about the gym battle since I thought it was really good. I found all the counter shields to be a clever idea (though it's too bad Ash didn't say how his final one was a counter-counter-counter shield).

Barry getting frustrated was just too amusing for words. I wish he could be a permanent cast member.

And even though I don't like what the dub did with Team Rocket, I love how they actually had valuable screentime this week. You kinda began to wonder if her one ribbon was all she was gonna get, but it looks like the writers have more in store for her.

This episode is definitely one of my favorite of the season since this was a rare case where there wasn't any wasted screentime at all, and both plots were (originally anyway) thoroughly enjoyable.

Barry getting frustrated was just too amusing for words. I wish he could be a permanent cast member.

Yes I also thought Barry was very funny. Also, I like the idea of the counter shield it shows that Ash is still thinking up new ways of strategy.

What I realy liked was Jessi getting another ribbon. I would have liked it alot more if we could of saw some of the challangers but this was realy Ash's episode.

I am looking foward to seeing more of Barry and what may happen in the next following episodes of Pokemon. This to me is very exciting!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom