• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP05: Leading a Stray!

PokemonHero

Don't make Twilight angry
Reaction score
So, I guess since no one else has done so yet, I'll do it this time around. So far, it's been pretty interesting episode.

I was going to do it if you hadn't interfered. =P

Luxio are awesome, so therefore, this episode is, to some extent, awesome.

That's a lot of Wailord. This sewer reminds me of Ranger 1. Nice to see Luxio use that electrical communication. Ash always has to be a hero. :p "Why am I not sure?" Even Dawn knows her pokemon is an idiot. Wow, Piplup is actually halfway right for once. Ok, Piplup, you win this time, but no letting it get to your head. Why didn't Wailord realize it could Surf Swampert away sooner? *shrugs* Ok, where did that extra power come from? Did the electricity really sap the energy from those other pokemon? No form of energy works that way at all. Ok filler I guess.

Hey, I've always wanted to do it. This was just the perfect opportunity.

Luxio's cry wasn't what I expected (then again, neither was Luxray's), but I felt that it was pretty fitting. There was also an interesting selection of music here. It was a lot more jazzy at times here, and it fit quite well.

I really liked this episode. Ash came up with an interesting plan and it (pretty much) worked. Poor Wailmer was trying to fly after the ramp broke. I feel sorry for that Venonat though. Getting smacked into Wailmer where the sun don't shine.

There were a number of fun Piplup moments in this episode, whether it was getting fried by Luxio, or trying to lead everyone through the sewers. It was sort of a reminder of the times when I really liked that penguin.

Overall, I felt it was a good episode.

Ok, where did that extra power come from? Did the electricity really sap the energy from those other pokemon? No form of energy works that way at all. Ok filler I guess.

It's because Rattata and Nidoran are capable of performing electric attacks like thunderbolt and thunder.

This episode was a bit mixed for me.
I'm annoyed at how they keep using the Pokedex music every time they look up an entry. DP128 will be ruined because of this, they have 6 PokeDex entries.
I'm also mixed at how the dub keeps certain music tracks from the original BGM, yet replace other BGM with their own. For example, the scene where the pokemon work together to get Wailmer to the top of that giant waterfall. I have no idea why.
Also, I'm getting annoyed at Dawn's voice. It completely ruined the Mamoswine/Happiny scene for me.
Other than that, the episode was great. Love the CGI when Team Rocket used their machine. The dub's script stays consistent with the original episode. I'm not saying that it is a "good" episode; fillers are not really good episodes to begin with. But compared to the original, with the exception of those minor implications, this episode stayed consistent with it.

I actually liked this episode. But maybe I'm biased, as I love Luxio and Ash going on solo adventures.

Couldn't Ash have just explained to the Pokémon the concept of Poké Balls, caught the Wailmer, backtracked and gone to the Pokémon Center to withdraw it (or, if the "white button rule" from episode 13 still applies, just retrieve Wailmer right there), and go out to the ocean and release it? Seems much simpler. But the ice ramp thing was pretty fun. It's as if Ash was applying his talent for coming up with bizzare battle strategies to situations outside of battle. Loved seeing him able to do things and come up with solutions on his own. Although what in the world was he planning on doing to that Swampert at the end? XD

Nice to see Grotle making some progress, however little of it we're actually seeing.

Most stunning TR mecha ever. And then they took care of it within a few seconds and TR was gone for the rest of the episode, ha. I like TRio, but I had to be glad they were mainly absent for the duration of this episode: if we're going to have a filler, let's avoid the standard "battle the mecha climax" borefest we used to get in what seemed every episode.

...also, completely off-topic, but I was Googling while typing this post and just had to tell someone: go look at what Google's logo is today. It's epic.

Most stunning TR mecha ever. And then they took care of it within a few seconds and TR was gone for the rest of the episode, ha. I like TRio, but I had to be glad they were mainly absent for the duration of this episode: if we're going to have a filler, let's avoid the standard "battle the mecha climax" borefest we used to get in what seemed every episode.

I actually was expecting Team Rocket to come back at the end and try to steal the Wailmer.

I guess this episode was pretty good but the ending was pretty unneccasary I guess it was because they had a lot of extra time.

Also seems strange how team rockets only appearance is at the beginning were they have the transformer

Boron pretty much summed up my thoughts, but I have a few things to add on.

I thought it was really great we got an Ash episode where he had to figure things out on his own for once. He's my favorite character after the TRio, so I really liked seeing him shine by himself.

I also greatly enjoyed Piplip for once. It's nice the writers remembered it has its own personality.

Pretty solid for DP standards. I really like Luxio, so it's cool to see it in an episode.

However... immediately deciding the best course of action is breaking and entering, and then sabotaging expensive equipment? And trying to deal with an angry aquatic creature by jumping in water?

Also it seems like Pikachu is the only Electric type who uses yellow electricity and not blue. Whatever the music during that scene is, it's pretty cool. But I have no idea why the Rattata and Nidoran electrocuting themselves helped anything.

Why was Swampert nailed by the wake, but not Ash? They were both right there.

Couldn't Ash have just explained to the Pokémon the concept of Poké Balls, caught the Wailmer, backtracked and gone to the Pokémon Center to withdraw it (or, if the "white button rule" from episode 13 still applies, just retrieve Wailmer right there), and go out to the ocean and release it? Seems much simpler.

And risk the fanbase complaining about how Ash, "released another Pokemon?"

I don't think so. The reason why the writers don't do the simple method of having Ash capture something for filler purposes is because they know people would complain if Ash immediately released it afterwards.

Its probably the same reason Larvitar wasn't formally captured, the writers didn't want to make it seem like Ash captured a Larvitar just to give it away.

And risk the fanbase complaining about how Ash, "released another Pokemon?"

I don't think so. The reason why the writers don't do the simple method of having Ash capture something for filler purposes is because they know people would complain if Ash immediately released it afterwards.

Its probably the same reason Larvitar wasn't formally captured, the writers didn't want to make it seem like Ash captured a Larvitar just to give it away.
I'm not talking about from an outside perspective where we are aware that this is all fiction, but from Ash's. Obviously. It's weird for him to have not even thought of that, or at least from what we saw. Maybe have him say to Pikachu that he doesn't have any Poké Balls on him or something.

I was more than content with this awesome episode!

My only point of criticism (only one, hear hear!) is that there were maybe too many "cutie-Pokemon" in some scenes like Rattata, Nidoran and Venomoth which made them look a teensy bit childish, but well, it's acceptable and all right.

Other than that, I really liked this episode as it was amusing and great entertainment!
The undoubtedly best thing about it was the fact that Ash was the sole and impressive hero which, I guess, makes every Ash-Fan jump with joy. I was also overjoyed to see our hero mastering an adventure and coming up with smart plans on his own. If you ask me, Ash somewhat lacked of heroisms lately which is his characteristic feature normally. But today's episode fortunately made up for that. Great! I dare say: A feast for Ash fanboys and fangirls! Right, PokemonTrainerLisa?

But the ice ramp thing was pretty fun. It's as if Ash was applying his talent for coming up with bizzare battle strategies to situations outside of battle. Loved seeing him able to do things and come up with solutions on his own
Yeah, I coudn't have said it better myself.
That plan with the slide and the sledge sure was unique and clever. I love seeing how Ash advances more and more. He's definitely on his way to become a Cynthia-like champion and hero!:cool:

Usually, I don't busy myself with the BGM, but one piece of music sure aroused my interest:
How is that awesome and almost epic BGM called when the Pokemon as well as Brock and Dawn tried to get the bridge moving with a vengeance?
It's gotta have been replaced by PUSA . You see, to my ears it sounded so typically American because it created a dramatic and exciting atmosphere and easily reminded you of an action movie. If it's true that this amazing piece of music didn't belong to the Japanese version, I'll start to wonder why so many people complain about the allegedly "horrible" dub music. Said scene proved that PUSA is capable of composing even better and more fitting music than the Japanese version every once in a while. So, if someone happpens to know the title, please don't hesitate to tell me! Man, I'm still thrilled by the scene.

I guess, the writers successfully made up for last week's slip-up and presented a solid episode today with several highlights, including Ash being the glorious hero, a dramatic climax, and fantastic BGM.

7 out 0f 10 points.

Last edited:
The episode was okay, at least. I'm trés happy to see Nidoran again. Nidoran are my favorite poison-types, next to Toxicroak.

My personal favorite part was the Free Willy thing at the end. Then again, I guess a lot of whales do that. It's still impressive.

I really thought TR was going to attack Wailmer as it was swimming out to the bridge. The Swampert was kinda random, why was it still attacking them after they left the sewer? And how do these kids get into a drawbridge control room like that!?

Other than those WTF moments, it was a solid episode.

It was a cute episode. My favorite bits was seeing Ash working alone in the sewers with the random Pokemon, music was a bit odd though for me. I did like the animation, seeing Pipulp make a wrong turn was funny but his ego is just huge LOL. Over all a cute episode.

I really liked this episode. It was first off, totally cute. Whoever was the AD did a really good job.

And I liked that Ash got to be the big hero. This was a nice change of pace. This seemed like a very Orange Islands/Johto-esque episode. And Ash seemed almost smart to me. Maybe he really is maturing :)

Lets see... Swampert was random, but I liked it better than TR popping in, since thats just repetitive. Overall, a good episode, which kind of surprised me.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom