• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP18: Old Rivals, New Tricks!

There is no need for an episode synopsis since most of us know the events in this episode.
- Still cropped as ever and Kenny's voice is still horrendous.
- An episode filled with horrible dub pokemon voices? And this is for 20 minutes.
- Agh, the panel of judges. Is it really necessary to waste filler time with these contest introductions?
- Was it me or did they add a drum beat to the BGM where Mime Jr. was sent out?
- LET'S DANCE- no added BGM was needed.
- Here are these miscellaneous pokemon with dub voices better than the main pokemon.
- Buffing up your muscles is Focus Energy? And Strength is a white aura?
- Barry wants a Machoke.
- Barry thinks that he is the one who coached Ambipom.
- Flawless? She was #2 in the appeals.
- Miscellaneous pokemon battles.
- Yeah, Jessalina needs to improve her battle skills more so than her contest skills.
- Here comes the exchange of attacks via Pokemon Ping Pong.
- Dawn loses the battle and the contest.
- Some badass dub added BGM. You can still slightly hear the original BGM.
- Barry is telling somebody else to chill out.
- Go nuts with Pokemon Ping Pong?
- To Be Continued

Last edited:
Yay for the 'SLAP!SLAP!SLAP!' episode...

Kenny sounds like he has swine flu....

Takeda can't animate for shit....

Aww, how cute. Jessie wants Mime.Jr to try. And Meowth actually said she had a good idea.

However, James said something about the free world resting on Mimey's head or something...jerk.

Heh, Mamoswine wants to be in the contest too. How nice....

All of these flashbacks MUST signify something, doesn't it....?

I am soooooooo happy this is Takeda's last ep for a while.

....Mime.Jr looks a bit seductive lol..

Oh my god, the dancing animation is the worst thing I have ever seen....

An interesting appeal though, but I liked her last one better.

...if only I can do that lol...

Did Kenny reeeeealy have to do that.

Ambipom sounds annoying....

That was a quick decision.

Kenny....STOP talking.

lol, Seviper's teeth are glinting.

Once again, poor jessie was soooooo close to winning.

.....what the fuck is this ping-pong stuff....why are people impressed by this boring ass-battle....

The judges look exasperated...

At least James tries to encourage Jessie.

Meowth sounded like a murderer again....makes the reactions understandable. Can't wait for the battle

Barry seems addicted to the ping-pong...

I liked the last contst better though..

Last edited:
Is that a bad thing to say? I don't know enough English sayings...

Makes it seems as though Jessie is going to enslave the world or something if she loses....of course, I didn't understand everything he was saying lol.

*is crying in advance for Ambipom* Why does Dawn understand Mamo better than she did Piplup in the last ep? o.o Ready made props? ...Ping pong battle? o.o It didn't seem like Ambi would lose that. Interesting. I forget exactly what Meowth said there that was so shocking in the raw. It doesn't seem so shocking here. Interesting ep.

How does DAWN forget about a contest?

OMG I JUST REALIZED THEY SHOWED MAX IN THE OPENING. IF WE GET LUCKY MAYBE HE'LL COME BACK!!! ^-^

As usual, Ashy sounds cute announcing the title...

Sweet and precious? WTF? Suck-up.

Isn't the way James is sitting with Mime Jr. the way that Ash sits with Pikachu sometimes?

Two of a kind, my butt, Jessie.

WTF IS UP WITH THE PING PONG PRACTICE???

Whose Ice Shard was that anyway?

I don't think so, Dawn. He's just trying to hit you in the back of the head...

FLASHBACK!!!

Because your hat is comfy, Ash! Why else would Aipom take it?

Commercials....

See, the ideas for toys today SUCK.

Dude, the Secret Saturdays toy thing is a complete rip off of the Pokedex if you watch the full commercial.

GOD, so many stupid commercials....

Yay, we're back.

WTF how'd they get the little Pom-pom on Mamoswine's head?

I didn't know Barry's never been to a contest.

Marian? I thought it was Vivian or Lillian or something.

This is gonna be good.

Barry, shut up and watch.

Yeah, I knew it would work.

Lol at the audience.

WTF outfits are those?

Aww, Ash and Barry look so cute dancing! And Ashy doesn't even know what he's doing!!!! ^-^ <3

Bronzong looks like a can of soup.

Kenny!!! :)

That's creepy....

Kanto Gym Battle Music!

WTF, is this really a contest or a Gym?

DROP IT ON DAWN'S FOOT!!!! XD

KENNY HANDSTAND FTW!!!

Conversation...Kenny's bragging again :)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH DAWN GOT PWNED BY KENNY.

MORE COMMERCIALS???

And not only are they running out of ideas for toys, but for T.V. shows too.

What, no five-dollar footlong song?

Stupid selling commercials with over-enthusiastic people....a little too enthusiastic about washing machines...

GET BACK TO THE SHOW ALREADY!!!

No, YOUR computer is infested with Nanovor. WTF another Pokemon rip-off?

Yay, back again.

Dawn's turn now.

They don't show Brock when he talks anymore.

It's always Swift, isn't it?

Barry, don't get a swelled head XD

It's always Swift, isn't it? LEARN NEW MOVES!!!!

Why does Dawn get so bipolar at contests???

Why did I somehow know all three of them would be there?

KENNY'S VOICE WTF??? HOW'D THAT HAPPEN???

Flowers? A shipping alert is in order....

You know, Jessie really should win more contests. But no, Dawn's the contest star....T-T

Why am I not surprised Dawn won.....T-T

Will she ever use anyone else in contests??? It's always Ambipom.

RAID IS PLAYING IN THE BACKROUND YAY!!!!

WTF they're playing ping pong with bubbles.

Did they just combine D/P Wild Pokemon Battle with R/S/E Wild Pokemon Battle? The beginning of the song sounded like R/S/E.

At least we're done with the bubbles.

Ambipom was pwned.

FINALLY, DAWN LOSES!!!! ;) you go Kenny!

And now Dawn's gonna get all bipolar isn't she?

lol YEA JESSIE YOU TELL HER!!!

No way. WTF, Meowth's gonna compete?

Kenny's voice got really messed up.

And even though she talks to all of them, you can bet she's gonna use Ambipom next time.

Barry, look who's talking.

Barry sounds like an advertisement for Pokemon Ping-Pong.

And of course, the Pokemon Ping-Pong is gonna be a very strange filler...

Okay episode, I guess, but I knew Dawn wasn't gonna win from the start for some reason.

Aw, missed the first five minutes and Piplup's appeal. Well, I'll just wait for CN to put it up online.

Of course Piplup's in the freaking Contest arrrrrgh. I'm trying not to be a Piplup hater, but this is getting ridiculous.

Mamoswine's cute.

Neat, the Rocket guys in their cheerleader outfits. Um, why are the twerps off in their own special location instead of in the audience?

Oh, good Arceus, where does Kenny get all these badass Pokémon from? A Machoke now? Can't we have a manly man rival to have all these kind of Pokémon? Kenny's team does... not appear like you'd think it would. Or on the other hand, that's actually pretty clever, maybe they're portraying him as a ten-year-old boy who wants to fill up his team with "cool" Pokémon, like every ten-year-old boy would. Although I think Machoke deserves better. :p

Anyone else miss one-episode Contests?

Oh, yay, Meowth's in the next Contest. Win it for her, Meowth!

...Barry. I love you, man, but right now I hate you for making that suggestion. '_'

OMG I JUST REALIZED THEY SHOWED MAX IN THE OPENING. IF WE GET LUCKY MAYBE HE'LL COME BACK!!! ^-^

That is from High Touch and it shows other characters after Max. May, Misty, and Gary to be precise. It in no way means a character is coming back.

I'm pretty sure Tara Jayne has returned and has taken over Kenny...I'm sure of it.

It was pretty good for a contest episode. I liked Mamoswine in this one; it's good he's (she?) being differentiated from Charizard with some unique characterization. And the single pompom is always funny.

It was kind of predictable that Dawn would lose this one, unfortunately. What were the odds that she got her last ribbon before Ash got his seventh badge? I was, however, quite surprised and intrigued about Meowth at the end. That was unexpected. I'm actually anticipating Meowth's contest debut.

This was pretty cool. Next week should be nice, and it better be as much as they have been building up to pokemon ping-pong. Anyway, I'm looking forward to meowth in a contest. It'll be interesting to see what he can actually do when put into a competative situation.

Something along the lines of 'Don't worry, you can just try again for your third ribbon'.
Well. That's surprisingly friendly.
Did they keep the "I'm counting on you Manene" line, or was that what was changed to the free world one?

I'm pretty sure Tara Jayne has returned and has taken over Kenny...I'm sure of it.

I agree- Kenny's voice sounds somewhat similar to Ritchie's. Also that would explain why Kenny's voice suddenly changed.

I can't wait for the next contest, if only because of Meowth. I have a feeling Meowth will finally perfect Night Slash during the contest and use it to win Jessie her third ribbon.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom