• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP27: Evolving Strategies!

Re: Evolving Strategies! - Review Thread

I actually woke up early enough to watch it! Heart-warming episode and Paul smiles!

Putting aside my hate for Cartoon Network that now burns brighter than any star, Evolving Strategies was a very enjoyable episode.

+Great to see Chimchar evolve to beat Ursaring.
+Nice to see Paul and Reggie actually acting like brothers for a change.
+Magmortar

-Cropped
-Cartoon Network
-Cartoon Network
-I not sure if Monferno's dub voice is bad, or if it just needs to grow on you.
-Did I mention Cartoon Network?

I hate you, Cartoon Network!!! O_O
*coughs* Anyway, besides the fact that it's still cropped, the episode was good. Chimchar has finally evolved, and the ending was great.

Ash, what are you doing? You're not maneuvering. Counter Shield returns. Who cares? You should! You let your pokemon stay in again. Dag, that Ursaring is intense. Paul battles like a competitive person IRL. He uses all his pokes for certain things. Together, they form a near unstoppable strategy. And do I need to say Ash is too overconfident again? I didn't think so. Ash, you've got nothing left. That was a very Digimon-esque evolution. Daggit, never let your opponents know what moves you know! No, I'm pretty sure that is Blaze. I told you, he was low on health. You have a long way to go, Ash. "I haven't seen that look on your face in a long time" Could it be? I'm not sure, with the way Paul's strategy was so well calculated. Then again, if anything could bring out his battle spirit, it's the determination to crush Ash. This has been an interesting set of eps.

Sigh, still cropped. -_- This is especially weird because YGO wasn't when it came on next.

Anyway, I really loved how this battle ended. Not the Ash losing part, as that was evident pretty early on in this episode that he'd lose, but the way they showed it to us. We never see Ash's full face, just his mouth and back of his head. I really loved this because it really emphasized how much Ash was hurting. And Paul not even acknowledging Ash before he walked away was icing on the cake.

I was also great to finally see Chimchar evolve. With the way they dragged out its evolution, you could just tell the writers were making this some big important long awaited moment. It's just a shame we had dub music during that part.

Lastly, I really loved Team Rocket. Seeing them get frustrated at all the switching out was funny since I'm sure we were all feeling the same way. But my favorite thing they did was root for Ash so hard. The ending was great for them as well because of how sad they looked when he lost. It's a shame they can't root for him more often.

- Ground-type? His only ground-type, Gliscor, has no ground-type attacks other than the mundane Sand Attack.
- Reggie proves that type doesn't matter.
- Burn has a good aesthetic in the anime. Now I pray for poison actually being shown.
- James, I don't even want to know of your nightmares.
- And here begins Ash's long and continuous use of Counter Shield this episode.
- Ash finally decides to use Buizel.
- Those purple sparks of electricity... Could that possibly be poison?
- Buizel put up a fight, but still lost to Ursaring.
- Ursaring easily crushed Staraptor.
- Team Rocket really favors Chimchar over pokemon like Staraptor or Pikachu.
- Electabuzz plays defense and is then recalled.
- Type advantage doesn't matter, Ash.
- Ash recalls Chimchar for the more physically sweeping Gliscor.
- Torterra easily defeats Gliscor with Frenzy Plant.
- Ash calls out Pikachu but Paul recalls Torterra for Ursaring.
- Pikachu finally uses Static again.
- Ursaring's Guts rage. Pikachu is defeated.
- Ash can't defeat all five of Paul's pokemon with Chimchar.
- Chimchar defeats Ursaring.
- Playful music when Chimchar evolves into Monferno.
- Sick Mach Punch animation.
- Electabuzz protects, then attacks. Monferno paralyzed.
- Monferno is pissed off.
- Monferno and Electabuzz clash. Monferno is defeated. Paul wins.
- What does the future hold? To Be Continued

Cartoon Network sucks eggs! but awesome episode overall

Horrible, horrible dub.

The long awaited Chimchar evolution... OK, let's replace the epic movie 5 theme that plays there with some boring synthesizer music instead and that way ruin the scene, ok?

Who the hell wants to watch a battle accompanied by PUSA synthesizer music? Yet again they manage to completely ruin an originally epic episode with their pathethic music.

Horrible, horrible dub.

The long awaited Chimchar evolution... OK, let's replace the epic movie 5 theme that plays there with some boring synthesizer music instead and that way ruin the scene, ok?

Who the hell wants to watch a battle accompanied by PUSA synthesizer music? Yet again they manage to completely ruin an originally epic episode with their pathethic music.

You shouldn't be so surprised. TPCI always replaces the original BGM with their own to some degree each episode (not counting the Riolu special).

PUSA has been failing hard music wise this whole arc. Why can't the music be done like the way it was done in the Byron ep "Dealing with Defensive types."

[Admittedly, slowly but surely I can get why so many of you actually hate CN. First the terribly early time at which Pokemon is airing at the moment and then the shameful fact that it is once again cropped. What a shame! Do you think we should write some kind of petition, sign it all and submit it to CN? Maybe we could cause a change..who knows! I would also agree to write that petition]

Anyways, one of the most intense and breath-taking battles ever, though, with a disappointing and extremly painful outcome for Ash.

Two things proved decisive for Paul's win:

Firstly, his Pokemon are simply way too strong. Ash, you've gotta admit that recently you have obviously been too careless when it comes to training. How long has it been since we last saw you actually train your Pokemon properly? Way too long...
Ash, sorry, but it seems that you haven't done your homework.

Secondly, Ash didn't battle particularly cleverly. It may sound hard, but most of what he did was old hat and too predictable. I mean let's analyze it in detail:
Take the battles Ursaring vs. Buizel, Ursaring vs. Staraptor or Torterra vs. Gliscor: Ash's strategy, if he actually had one, consisted of ordering rash, direct attacks with could easily be blocked by Paul's Pokemon.
Consider this: What are Ursaring's strong points? Brute close range attacks (I'm not counting Focus Blast ,because this attack is a relatively small "ball" which could normally be dodged with ease)
So, Ash why IN THE WORLD do you think that you can defeat Pual with attacks which one the one hand can easily be repelled by Ursaring and which on the other hand require your own Pokemon to come dangerously near to Paul's Pokemon which also means that the former are within the range of the physical attacks of the latter.
So, in case a Pokemon does not know attacks which can be launched from a safe distance as it goes for Staraptor or Gliscor, you first have to confuse or trick your opponent or dodge his counter-attack before you attack him directly.

So, instead of just attacking blindly and overhastily from the front, develop a strategy in your mind, Ash, for God's sake.

Ok, but to do Ash justice a little bit, we also musn't forget that Paul was extremly lucky as well. Not only were two of Ash's Pokemon affected by Burn and Paralysis by chance, but also did Ursaring benefit from its ability which was a huge advantage that mustn't be underestimated. Otherwise, I'm sure that the battle wouldn't have resulted in a 6-2 but probably in a 6-4 or even better.

And finally the great and breath-taking Elecatbuzz vs. Chimchar/Monferno part. wow , just wow! It really knocked my socks off and it was one of the most intense and exciting battles I've ever seen. However, it was extremly unfair that after landing such powerful and impressive attacks, Monferno wasn't allowed to win...Shame on you, writers! :disgust:
Anyways, I guess I have found a new favorite Pokemon in Ash's team...at least until he hopefully gets his new *****

Despite the deeply distressing outcome for Ash, the episode was rousing and exciting and I took the greatest pleasure in watching it! Keep it up, writers! That's how battles should look like in the future

8 out of 10 points

-I don't think I remember Ash ever switching out Pikachu before it faints before.
-Aww, I was hoping Buizel would win. He doesn't get enough action. At least he fought well.
-How many times are they going to shoehorn that recycled Team Rocket animation in the episode? Maybe they wouldn't be tired if they didn't press buttons with their entire arms.
-Stuff like this happens all the time, but I noticed this one much better for some reason. Pikachu... reverses his momentum... in midair. Enough to pull off a powerful damaging attack. C'mon... If they want to do stuff like that they could have at least allowed him to hit the ground, or have him thrown straight up instead.
-World record for obligatory swirly eyes-to-able to "talk" reflex time?
-Most ceremonious evolution ever. I like it.
-OK, Reggie's line plus "you learned Mach Punch and that's a brand new move!" Cheesiest ten seconds ever.
-Electabuzz should not be surviving this.
-All that buildup and Monferno loses. It's realistic that stuff like that happens, but it's still pretty disappointing.
-Considering the motion of the sun, Ash and Paul stood there for almost a half an hour without moving an inch before recalling Pokémon.
-Dawn said "oh, Ash!" That clearly means they love each other! Conclusive evidence!

Annoyances aside, that was one of the best episodes we've had for a while now. It's a shame I knew who would faint, who wouldn't, and that Chimchar would evolve thanks to people so polite as to assume that everyone watches the Japanese version. This episode was also, in my eyes, more evidence that Paul is supposed to represent competitive battlers.

Amazing episode. Reading all the pissing and moaning here, I thought it was going to suck, but lo and behold, it was awesome instead. That was some pretty epic battling.

Ursaring was literally ripping through Ash's team huh?It just kept taking hits and dishing out KOs again and again. Now I know why they say Everything's Worse With Bears. :p

Anyway, it was a pretty intense battle and there never was a dull moment. Paul's Magmortar was pretty cool with the was it used different attacks. Gotta feel bad for Buizel, though; "Don't worry Ash, I can take it." The very next second it gets knocked out.:p Awesome evolution sequence and Monferno vs Electabuzz was easily one of the better matches in the full battle. Pretty emotional scenes at the end too after the battle.

Gotta feel bad for Buizel, though; "Don't worry Ash, I can take it." The very next second it gets knocked out.:p

Buizel put a decent fight though. Reversing Ursaring's focus blast back onto it with the counter shield was awesome.

Just watched the episode a while ago.

Ursaring + Guts = Brooklyn Rage!!! That part was epic.

Buizel just made the same mistake Grotle made (staying in the fight when it's at the brink of a KO).

The part where Chimchar evolved was awesome.

Plus, it's nice seeing the Burn status in the show for the first time.

Did you notice that for some strange reason Grotle's picture was not displayed on that portable monitor?

Here's the proof:

mistake.jpg

Anyways, man, what an E P I C WEEK !

First, "Arceus And The Jewel Of Life",the best movie ever last weekend, then the flawless and fantastic Galactic finale, the by far best episodes I've ever seen on Thursday and now one of the most intense, intelligent and exciting battles in the Anime ever.

What a great,overwhelming,unbelievable week.
As I've already said before in the movie preview thread, there should actually be a word which expresses even more than "epic" because "epic" is still insufficient to describe this terrific feeling and wonderful week

But look at Weavile, the only reason why Grotle isn't "shown" is because Grotle's silhouette is bigger than the circle.

Torterra would've faced the same problem if it was knocked out.

Does anyone know the title of the music played when chimchar evolved, the one in the original japanese dub.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom