• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP49: Mastering Current Events!

Not only has the dub ruined single scenes, but whole episodes with their dumass music replacement. This is why one watches the Japanese version and don't bother with this crap.

I'm sorry, I watch both and don't care about music being replaced. You're watching for the story, not the background music.

It's "dumb ass" by the way.

-Dawn pulling out her Pokedex when seeing Scizor what? you saw one back in Gymbaliar! early in the series.

As people said before, using a Pokédex is simply a way to get some information about the Pokémon - it doesn't mean the character didn't see it before

-They actually used an Insert Song. I Will Always Remember You from The Rise Of Darkrai.

AWESOME!!! I hate how as time went on the dub used less and less songs other than the opening song and even the OP are shorter with the time
Seasons 1-3 had a full minute (or little longer, I think) OP and each of these seasons also had an ending songs before the credits (Pokérap, Pikachu's Jukebox, Pokémon Karaokémon)
Starting from Season 4 up to Season 8, every OP (other than OP 8) was 45 seconds and we didn't get any ending song
Since Season 9 all OP songs are 30 seconds... and other than season 9 that used a bad song as an ending and had one or two insert songs - we never got anything after that
Seasons 10-12 continued with ah 30 seconds OP, no ED song, no insert songs...

So I'm really happy about this... though it'd be nice if they'd make new songs but I'll take that over nothing
I hope they'll use the Movie 11 ED (This is a beautiful world) in an episode sometime... I really like this song

Pokemon does not have such memorable music

WHAT THE JOHTO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!
The background music (and songs for the anime) is one the best things about Pokémon both in games and the anime
This is like one of the main reasons I like Pokémon...

I am sure the dub music conveyed the same mood.

Watch the first episode of AG in English and then watch it in Japanese right after the English
You'll never dare compare the dub BGM to the original, never... trust me

Was a Pokemon BGM ever released on a soundtrack? Maybe, but not most of them.

Every main Pokémon game (and even some of the less important ones) get their whole BGM released on CDs in Japan
Japan also released a CD with a lot of the early anime BGM
Another CD had more of the old and newer BGM of the anime (Genki Ippai? I that's how its called)
The CD for AG's first OP also included some AG BGM (like Pokémon Contest, Magma/Aqua and more)
The CD for DP's first OP also included some DP BGM (Ash's new theme, Dawn's theme slow, at least one more)
Every movie gets a whole soundtrack CD released (and the show itself use this BGM too, not just the movies)

So yes, Pokémon BGM is obviously released on CDs in Japan... not all of it, but a good amount did get released

Am I the only one who noticed they said Daybreak Town instead of Daybreak City at the beginning of the episode?

It was Asatsuki Town in Japanese so I guess it's a town for the English too and the previous ep was just a mistake

You're watching for the story, not the background music

The background music helps to FEEL the story... and it can ruin or make the story...

We have another "Crossing Paths" music wise? At least they used an insert song.

What a nice episode that was. It's sad to see Gliscor go, but that can't be changed. BRING ON GIBLE!

If I'd have to complain about anything, it'd be that the flashback montage was played BEFORE Gliscor made a decision... which was strange, and made the Insert song (which is one of my favourite dub songs) sound really awkward - as "I'll Always Remember You' started playing before the release.

Mastering Current Events!
- Chimecho, in a battle and looking a tad evil? Yes boy.
- And it takes out Piplup, I like this Chimecho a lot.
- I'm glad that the Air Battle Master isn't similar to other older characters in the past.
- Lol gym battles comment.
- "Shouldn't you wrap this up soon?", so the old man isn't the only cocky/brattish one.
- Yeah this music doesn't convey the same mood as the original. It's too fast and over the place. The original was a lot more dramatic and felt as if it was leading up to something.
- "Gliscor do it!"..."What's that?". Er yeah, lines not so great there.
- Thank god they kept the music during the second half.
- Nice vocal song.
- "It's totally up to you." DP releases > Kanto releases.
- Oh dear, another "promise" said.

This episode maintains the high standard of release episodes and further shows Gliscor's enthusiasm as seen when he wanted to face Paul back when Chimchar had Blaze rage. The idea of "reading the wind" was interesting and a nice change from colliding Iron Tails and that ilk. We also get to see Dawn doing something really nice in helping out.
Some of the BGM that the dubbers used, awful. However the vocal song that they used was good and I'm glad that they used it over some of the other english vocal songs.
8 out of 10.

Last edited:
Aw, man...
Because of that vocal song, this episode would have been perfect to end the season...

Good episode, but is it weird that I liked it more in Japanese despite not understanding anything ?

Ash, "It's a huge help in my gym battles" How is getting its ass kicked by a Sneasel a huge help ?

The battles were great, it was emotionnal and Gliscor got closure. Good episode.

Like I said, you guys take it way too seriously over BGM. There is nothing this good. If there is, please link to it. That is what I mean by epic, not some kiddy music, which is what Pokemon is, no matter if it has anticipation or not.

Good episode, but is it weird that I liked it more in Japanese despite not understanding anything ?

I feel the same, considering that I gave the raw a 10 out of 10. I think it's that you can feel the emotion a bit more.

Like I said, you guys take it way too seriously over BGM. There is nothing this good. If there is, please link to it. That is what I mean by epic, not some kiddy music, which is what Pokemon is, no matter if it has anticipation or not.

I would link you to the original ep itself, the BGM with the scene to show you its impact, but you are not worth an infraction. The original music wasn't "kiddy" either, it actually sounded serious unlike the dub spew that you hear.

I would link you to the original ep itself, the BGM with the scene to show you its impact, but you are not worth an infraction. The original music wasn't "kiddy" either, it actually sounded serious unlike the dub spew that you hear.

Send it in a PM please. I doubt anything is even as epic as this one. I just do not get why you cannot link to the song itself. Does it even have a name? If it was a good song, it should have been at least released on some soundtrack.

Did someone really mention Yugioh up in here? That is a sadness.

I doubt anyone else agrees, but I feel like Gligar/Gliscor was dealt a bad hand—last one caught, first to be released—I mean, I guess he filled the same flier niche as Staraptor, but he could've been released, right? He's not all that much of a character (I count all of two actual "character" moments: being despondent at not being picked for a gym battle, and falling for that fake Staravia).

Did someone really mention Yugioh up in here? That is a sadness.

Well, if you look at my profile, i kinda watch Yugioh a ton more than Pokemon, and it is OK to compare things, as long as it keeps on track, and we are discussing BGM. It does keep in with the topic at hand.

Sure, the Japanese music is much better, but you guys are taking it way too seriously. It's a cartoon made for children about a video game. It's not that big of a deal.

And also, again with the releasing Pokémon at the drop of a hat. I seems like they're all released the same now. Go to train with a guy you just met 20 minutes ago, but not before a montage.

And here I thought the three pages would be complaining about Gliscor...

This episode makes me wonder what Chimecho would've been like had James not babied it.

Let the Piplup abuse begin! :devil:

As much as I love Gliscor, even I laughed at how it was a "big help" in gym battles.

Where did Dawn get tin foil?

You'd better be careful what you promise Ash, fans have a good memory.

TR's short screen time was handled well today. Funny beginning, and very sweet how they cried when Gliscor stayed.

Loved the vocal song. Now do that more often PCI!

BGM aside, this was a really nice episode. It sucks Gliscor is gone, but at least it went out well.

It sort of made me tear up when Gliscor started crying and he thought about all the memories he had with Ash... and the music made me cry too... I'm such a baby XD

This episode is when I started to hate the DP series. And yes, a single release can change my opinion of an entire saga.

This episode destroyed everything the show was about in 10 years. Ash hasn't had a true release since Lapras in Orange Islands, why the hell did they do this again? WTF was the point of releasing Gliscor? THIS DID NOT NEED TO HAPPEN.

It also makes me realize how Gliscor is the only one of Ash's Sinnoh team that still has personality. The rest of them have just become battle machines sans Monferno.

This proves how bad the writing of the show really is, and how the writers love to screw over their fanbase. I can only hope Gliscor returns for the league.

Its a shame how the writing of the show went to crap like this.

Having seen this episode only once in Japanese I forgot all the background music that played in it so whatever has been changed won't bother me. The only song I do remember is Kaze to Issho ni playing during Gliscor's memories scene and was hoping the dub would insert a vocal song too. And I was happy they did, although is was more like a melody of "I'll Always Remember You" with only a few vocals sung.

I was quite disappointed when they didn't do it for Crossing Paths, I tend to like it when the dub replaces a Japanese vocal song with on of their own in the episode (mainly when it's a goodbye scene). Hoping for the dub to use more of their movie theme songs in future episodes if they can.

This episode is when I started to hate the DP series. And yes, a single release can change my opinion of an entire saga.

This episode destroyed everything the show was about in 10 years. Ash hasn't had a true release since Lapras in Orange Islands, why the hell did they do this again? WTF was the point of releasing Gliscor? THIS DID NOT NEED TO HAPPEN.

It also makes me realize how Gliscor is the only one of Ash's Sinnoh team that still has personality. The rest of them have just become battle machines sans Monferno.

This proves how bad the writing of the show really is, and how the writers love to screw over their fanbase. I can only hope Gliscor returns for the league.

Its a shame how the writing of the show went to crap like this.
Yes because Gliscor made the Diamond and Pearl series, you never saw it, but it was always there since the begi-No. The writing in the DP series has been like it always was. This was just one episode, all if affects is what we thought was something that would never happen again and a change in Ash's rooster. And, as much as I love Gliscor, it didn't bring anything important to the show at all, it was just a Pokemon belonging to Ash. But of course none of that even matter to you Scott.

I never managed to say this when this episode aired in Japan. All the complaining or cheering put me off. But sometimes I wished Ash never caught Gligar even though it's one of my favorite of Ash's Pokemon. Because then Queen Cynthia's happiness about Ash getting you-know-who will be slightly more tolerable (seeing as you won't have to say anything bad about Gliscor QC) and you, Scott, you wouldn't... well you wouldn't be saying all of this nonsense.

Edit: I forgot to say and Ash catching you-know-who will probably be accepted by almost everybody. Espcially by its character and the fact its a type Ash never got before

Last edited:
Yes because Gliscor made the Diamond and Pearl series, you never saw it, but it was always there since the begi-No. The writing in the DP series has been like it always was.

And...that's false. The treatment of the Pokemon this saga was horrendous. The tail-end evo's, the rushing of Monferno, etc. Ambipom being released was also terrible writing, especially after all that character development Aipom went through with Ash that people have forgotten about. But Gliscor? Yeah, let's release one of the funniest and most memorable of Ash's Pokemon for no reason. Because apparently Oak's lab doesn't exist. Ash never released a Pokemon in Johto or Hoenn, why start again?

I never managed to say this when this episode aired in Japan. All the complaining or cheering put me off. but sometimes I wished Ash never caught Gligar even though it's one of my favorite of Ash's Pokemon. Because then Queen Cynthia's happiness about Ash getting you-know-who will be more tolerable (seeing as you won't have to say anything bad about Gliscor QC) and you, Scott, you wouldn't... well do I have to explain it?

It doesn't matter. It's bad writing no matter how you slice it. If the writers wanted Ash to capture Gible, there is always Oak's lab. Like how Ash Oak'd Heracross in early Johto.

But that's OK. Most of Ash's Sinnoh pokemon have lost their personality and are just battle machines now. I never thought I'd say this, but I even think the Johto team has more personality now. Holy shit. When things get that bad you know you're in trouble.

The treatment of Ash's Pokemon this saga was horrendous, as well as the lack of appearances from the oldies from Oak's lab. I can only hope Gliscor becomes the new Charizard/Squirtle and returns for the league.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom