• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP50: Double-Time Battle Training!

Well, today marks an easily forgotten, overlooked and - to a few diehard fans of the 4Kids dub/VAs - a somewhat controversial milestone. This is PUSA/TPCi's 200th episode. It got off to a rocky start - and even though they maintain some questionable practices while dubbing the show to this day - I feel that at the very least, a kudo or two is due for the work they've done over the last three and a bit years. For all the bashing they get - they've still managed to do some good things. They've done a great job with the movies, they're taken the average wait for a dub episode down from about a year down to just 5 months, and they almost always pick up on references to the game series.

That being said, I'm intrigued about this episode. We get to see what Dawn's got in store for her final contest appeal, Zoey's got some new Pokemon, Candice is back, and this is really where the end begins, we see Zoey and Paul are ready to enter their respective competitions. Hopefully it's all done well.

Pretty good ep, not alot to say about it seeing as how it more or less just a training ep. Zoey cements herself as being more of Dawn's mentor than rival, kinda like Drew was to May, only with Zoey actually being.....likable.

I thought Piplup's face when Dawn told him to take a break was hilarious. {Shame he's having such a rough day, seeing as how he's gonna meet his version of Darth Vader soon.}

This episode gave us some pretty Contest moves, some plot development, some Les Yay (hooray for SnowpointShipping!), and...am I the only one here who could have sworn they heard Candice use the phrase "sleep around"? Although I'm pretty sure she meant "lounge around" or "sleep in"...

And I think I heard...whatever Hikari's theme is called (I looked it up on Bulbapedia but still isn't exactly sure what to call it), Winter Version. At least I'm guessing it was Winter Version; I just sort of remember it usually being more up-tempo than that, so...yeah.

It's more interesting seeing this ep now that we know exactly what Dawn does to this ice combination. Not only do we see Zoey win her last ribbon, we learn Paul wins his last badge, too. Nice touch. This is one of those eps I wouldn't completely call filler, as it tells where Dawn's idea came from. It is skippable, but the experience is made better with this information.

I loled at how Zoey asked for the mic to thank Candice, and how she was jumping around and hugging Dawn without knowing it. Oh Takegami, you and your love of shipping...

I don't know why Ash said Paul finally has 8 badges, it's not like he already has all of his.

Flame Ice is awesome. Nuff said.

I really loved how Jessie would rather study Contest moves rather than steal Pokemon. Hopefully James and Meowth are finally starting to understand how important they are to her.

It was very nice to see Candice once again, very unexpected.

Introducing the spicy Tamato Berry Ice Cream was interesting, I knew that Dawn was somehow going to think of a way to incorporate the hot and cold together somehow and when she did it was really amazing. Especially the part where she visualized the fire inside of the ice which was a pretty good animation.

I found the part funny where Jessie releases Wobbuffet and Yanmega while trying to practice a double contest move then ends up blasting Team Rocket off without the two. Also, did anyone else notice when the group was eating the desserts that Piplup was in sort of a Pokemon booster seat?

Overall, a nice episode with a few cameos but more of a filler episode then anything I think.

I forgot to set my alarm so I had to watch it on youtube... :(
But it was an awesome ep.

-It was nice seeing Candice.

-The ice shard thing/Flame Ice was awesome. 'Nuff said.

-Slight character developement for Dawn.

-Seeing Kirlia and Leafeon made my day.

I'm glad Paul didn't smile about winning his last badge, no dead puppies.

Of course I'm being sarcistic he should probably show at least a little compasion.

Wouldn't the Flame Ice melt?

I haven't been watching the anime in a while, what's "kiai"?

Paul showing compassion? I wouldn't ever thing of a such thing.

I agree that Leafeon and Kirlia were a nice addition to Zoey's team and they both just so happen to be green.

Wouldn't the Flame Ice melt?

I haven't been watching the anime in a while, what's "kiai"?
The Flame and Ice combination lasted for a little bit around Cyndaquil but ended up melting before Dawn could actually get off an appeal with it.

Candice keeps referring to "Kiai" and is kind of her saying. I think it means spunk or something like that.

"Kiai" is Japanese for "focus", I think. At least "Focus Punch" is "Kiai Punch".

Paul showing compassion? I wouldn't ever thing of a such thing.

I agree that Leafeon and Kirlia were a nice addition to Zoey's team and they both just so happen to be green.

The Flame and Ice combination lasted for a little bit around Cyndaquil but ended up melting before Dawn could actually get off an appeal with it.

Candice keeps referring to "Kiai" and is kind of her saying. I think it means spunk or something like that.

It's a huge block of ice. Flame wheel would melt it and it would drench cyndaquil even more than the last one.

Last edited:
-Gah, Candice annoys me. I like how she grabbed Dawn's head before she realized she wasn't a total stranger, though.
-Conspicuous CGI poppers!
-Spicy ice cream? Ridiculous.
-I like this piano version of (I think) Twinleaf Town. Isn't that from the original version?
-Please stop talking, Candice. Or breathing.
-I like how she said freezing your partner is a bad contest move when Buizel was frozen all the time, to no detriment of its own.
-A Leafeon! I want to hug it! <3
-I hate the Pokédex.
-Aww, poor Cyndaquil. That was adorable at least.
-Somewhere, a physics professor is crying. And, if there were such a thing, a move namer is too. "Flame ice?" Really?
-Yet another episode where Team Rocket suffers for not even doing anything wrong.

I have to say "flame ice" is the dumbest contest move I've yet to see. Even considering how over-the-top impossible it is, since that's pretty much the norm at this point, it looks silly and I can't even think how something that slow is expected to hit anything.

Another typical DP contest training episode. This is one of those eps that makes you realize why Sinnoh is almost 200 episodes alone. It isn't just Dawn's contests that take up time, its all these contest training episodes that they constantly make that takes up the rest of the time.

Sometimes it surprises me that the writers dedicate this many episodes to Contests and contest training, especially when Contests doesn't need such heavy advertising in the anime.

Granted Candice being here spiced things up a bit, but I feel if it wasn't for the Candice/Zoey/Dawn interaction, this ep was just there for the sake of stretching DP out like all the HGSS advert eps.

awesome episode, even though it was a training episode, certainly not a filler episode, seeing as a new contest move was discovered.

although i question the actual occurrence of flame ice cream bars, there are things like flammable ice cream. but really?

overall though a great episode, next week we finally get to see gible. (i think)

Well, today marks an easily forgotten, overlooked and - to a few diehard fans of the 4Kids dub/VAs - a somewhat controversial milestone. This is PUSA/TPCi's 200th episode. It got off to a rocky start - and even though they maintain some questionable practices while dubbing the show to this day - I feel that at the very least, a kudo or two is due for the work they've done over the last three and a bit years. For all the bashing they get - they've still managed to do some good things. They've done a great job with the movies, they're taken the average wait for a dub episode down from about a year down to just 5 months, and they almost always pick up on references to the game series.

TPCi's 200th episode already? That's pretty amazing... Well, in addition to what you said, I'd like to thank TPCi for bringing silence into the dub.
I mean, this episode itself had about 4 minutes of silence, and that's great. Thanks TPCi, and keep up the good work!

TPCi's 200th episode already? That's pretty amazing... Well, in addition to what you said, I'd like to thank TPCi for bringing silence into the dub.
I mean, this episode itself had about 4 minutes of silence, and that's great. Thanks TPCi, and keep up the good work!

Fun fact, the 200th ep of the original series was the ep Chikorita evolved into Bayleef in mid-Johto. Although I don't consider Johto the "original series," it technically is by the numbering system.

That means PUSA has dubbed almost equivilant to 4kids up to mid-Johto.

none are without flaw eh?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom