• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP14: Dawn of a Royal Day!

In any case, the writers conveniently are going to ignore that Jessie can't enter the Grand Festival with "Dawn's" ribbon, so really Jessie should've won here. :/

They just wanted to be creative for once.

I think that's what it was in the original Japanese. I was wondering how the editors were going to handle it.

No, that line was accurately translated.

It's even sillier when it happens the other way around, like with super hero identities. Noone knows that Peter Parker is Spiderman, not even his closest friends, even though he has exactly the same voice.

The Spider-man mask muffles the voice, actually. That's why you always see him pull it up when he's talking to someone on the phone as "Peter" while wearing the Spidey suit.

Dub line, I know. They wouldn't mention Minnesota in the Japanese version.

I think the English dub is the only dub with that line, actually. Most other foreign dubs, though basing their script on 4Kids', changed that line to something random, likely due to not getting the joke. :)

I just watched this episode this morning (yes I know I'm behind, stfu) and I really liked it. I'm not normally a fan of Dawn, but she was really cute in this episode. And so was Salvia. They were so adorable pretending to be each other. <3 My favorite part is when Dawn, dressed as Salvia, is told she has to go to that luncheon and she just freaks out.

"I'm not HUNGRY!!!"

I give this 9/10. Great episode.

"You can do it, Princess!...I mean, me!...I mean, what do I mean?" XD

So late to the party that it's remembered as photos on the wall and hushed tones of legends in the booths, I know.

So May must have entered the Hoenn and Kanto contests late into the season (both regions she won the fifth ribbon at the last one before the Grand Festival), or Sinnoh had more contests than Hoenn and Kanto, since Dawn lost a number of contests and a bunch of her rivals have been seen winning contest ribbons, and they all progressed to the Grand Festival. Dawn won her fifth ribbon with seven contests, including this one, to go (there was also the one where Dawn's mother subbed in for the busy Nurse Joy).

Anyway, in Battle Frontier, during the Mulberry Contest in the first episode (it was a two episode contest) May pipes up that she's one ribbon away from the Grand Festival, which gets the crowd in the building stirring, many other people also one ribbon short. In this episode that kind of feeling must be going around, since opportunities are dwindling. So why is "Dawn" allowed to participate, since she's already qualified for the Grand Festival? Granted, previous season have shown that shenanigans in contests don't get heavily punished (Harley hijacked the speakers in his first episodes and wasn't disqualified), but still "Dawn" never receives any negative repercussions or feeling when she wins a sixth ribbon at this stage in the game! That ribbon is registered to Dawn, not Jessalina, so unless her receiving it is in the official record it would be marked as stolen when Jess goes through the admin at the Grand Festival.

Another point, Salvia was some kind of ambassador, right? So her performing, even as a half time show, would have been an excellent form of diplomacy. She was scheduled to be there anyway. Maybe James and Meowth kidnap her and Dawn is asked to fulfill the royal duties at the contest, with Salvia rescued shortly before her performance with Togekiss is due. We still get the Prince and the Pauper switch, Salvia gets to perform with Togekiss and the continuity (Jessie winning her fifth ribbon and Dawn receiving Togekiss) is maintained.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom