• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP16: Dealing With a Fierce Double Ditto Drama!

V Faction said:
Why would I answer a rhetorical question?

It actually wasn't a rhetorical question. I seriously don't understand how Ash and Rissa saying "newb" (or "n00b," or "newbie," or whatever) is, in any way, "hilarious."

Then again, I don't find a good 90% of "Internet humor" funny, so that could be the answer to my question right there.

PDL said:
Watching someone who's isn't a part of a culture use the slang associated with it poorly is funny to people.

So it's basically "haha, he said a word that we like to say LOL" thing?

Besides that...Rissa and Ash used the word "poorly?" How should they have used it, then?

It actually wasn't a rhetorical question. I seriously don't understand how Ash and Rissa saying "newb" (or "n00b," or "newbie," or whatever) is, in any way, "hilarious."

Then again, I don't find a good 90% of "Internet humor" funny, so that could be the answer to my question right there.
That's why it was rhetorical. You were implying that it wasn't funny to you from the start. Why seek an answer for a question you've already answered yourself? It matters little what we say.

So it's basically "haha, he said a word that we like to say LOL" thing?
Maybe that's not it entirely. I think what PDL is saying is that it comes off as completely unexpected, and that surprise is the funny part. It's not full-on belly-aching humor, just a small off-the-wall reaction.

The connotations the word once held to describe a novice with a lack of understanding for his/her field of contact aren't really all that funny.

Besides that...Rissa and Ash used the word "poorly?" How should they have used it, then?
Probably refering to the whole stigma of using slang in an ill-conceived manner (mostly by folks using it as a means to fit in), which really isn't present here. The words themselves are from a time before even the Internet, so familiarity with them or not isn't really cause for quibbling.

So there's the lesson for today: the gag is not funny simply because it's Internet humor but because of the upbruptness of it; it's not going to appeal to everyone; the word holds little sway in the first place in the context of the anime; and next time it gets used, it would be best to just ignore it and move on.

V Faction said:
That's why it was rhetorical.

Nope. It wasn't funny to me and didn't stick out to me in any way, yet so many other people thought it was awesome enough to bring it up in this thread post after post after post. I didn't understand why. So, I asked.

"Could you explain the joke to me?" is not a rhetorical question.

But, you and PDL have tried to explain it, so thank you. I still don't really get it, but whatever. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or anything.

Probably refering to the whole stigma of using slang in an ill-conceived manner (mostly by folks using it as a means to fit in), which really isn't present here.

...what? Makina was talking like she did because she wanted to come across as tougher than she really was. How was it not present here?

Late.

I think the thing I liked the most was the two Dittos' mischief, especially Pikachu and its Ditto likeness trying to outmime each other. That brought a smile to my face, LOL.

I think the thing I liked the most was the two Dittos' mischief, especially Pikachu and its Ditto likeness trying to outmime each other. That brought a smile to my face, LOL.

I really liked this too.

And her voice seemed so familiar. Does anyone have any idea why?

This episode was kinda drab at first, but it picked up.

Ash: I can tell which Pikachu is mine. I'm not like Dawn.
Dawn: What's that supposed to mean!?
Ash: Hm, there's the real Pikachu!
[is shocked]
Ash: Oh, well that's the real Pikachu!
[is shocked]

Ash couldn't admit that he didn't know the two Pikachu from each other.

I also liked the part where Ash asked Rissa for a battle, and Rissa was like, "I'll knock your block off!"

xD I'm surprised that made it into the anime.

Overall, this episode was okay, even though the beginning was kinda boring.

I liked how TPCi replaced the Yankee/Mankey joke with that Rumbler gag. It was well scripted.

It's wrong then. Nyasu says that the fake ones can't speak.

In the Lucario movie when Mew Transforms into a Meowth it doesn't talk like the Team Rocket Meowth (the confused Team Rocket Meowth talking is what blows Mew's plan to confuse Kid's Weavile).

- Gible using Draco Meteor to find out which Piplup was Dawn's was not only funny but also highly smart and showed once again that Gible lost his initial playfulness (and is far from being clumsy!!), is extremely clever and has developed into a tough battler, just as I've always said it would ;)

Gible also did this in Piplup, Up and Away! to locate the missing and neglected Piplup.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom