• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP20: A Grand Fight for Winning!

Mijumaru

Demonic Scraggy
Reaction score
It’s the final round of the Grand Festival. Dawn and Zoey are ready to entertain their audience with their (hopefully) intense final battle.

Well, finally over heh? Perhaps now the league can finally start. I do have more things to say just from the minutes of watching, but that wouldn't pertain enough to the forum rules ... so I will just leave it at this: for something so big, it didn't feel so epic.

This episode was an episode that didn't disappoint at all. And best of all, they actually put in an insert song to make the battle more intense. This was one of the best final battles in a while. But Dawn, does it really take that much effort to wait 15 episodes to be all emotional on us?

What song did they use?

If I had to guess, it's called Ultimate Challenge. I would've accepted Kimi No Soba De in English but this was just as good.

On topic: I said that Dawn should've win and I still think so but, damn, was this a great battle! I was nervous to watch at first because Dawn would lose but it was a great battle and I rooted for her all the way!

Like everyone before me said, it was an episode that didn't disappoint. It gets a 5/5!

Wait, they actually made a brand new song? Cause I don't remember any song like that... I'd expect them to just use an old song (like how they used "I'll Always Remember You" from Movie 10 in the Gliscor ep) but if they bothered to make a new song just for this ep it's awesome! hope that happens more often from now on

No matter how you may feel about Dawn or contests, I think this episode is more or less required viewing, simply because of how gorgeous it looks. There's a lot of creative stuff going on in this one, and it really is a treat for the eyes.

That said, the battle itself was definately lackluster imo. It was pretty much 'Fire attack! Dodge/Intercept it!' throughout the entire match, and it was a factor that really began to wear thin the longer it went on. Vs. Plusle and Minun and Nando and Zoey's match top this in terms of entertainment value from where I stand.

Even though this was a quite nice episode, I personally think that the Daybreak Final Round was just a pinch better.

So if I understood correct, it seems like they actually bothered to make a brand new song for this ep! When was the last time that happened? Season 9 ?
10 11 12 - three seasons they never bothered to do that... and finally they do it again
I liked how 4Kids did it a lot (eps like Pika almost leaving, Misty leave, Max and Ralts, Pika lose memory, etc...) and I was disappointed that the new dub seemed to either not use songs in eps at all, or use existing ones instead of creating new ones for the specific ep
I really hope they'll continue to use new songs when needed

Sounds kinda corny.

That song makes me think that it was going to be the original opening to Sinnoh League Victors, but it was somewhat recalled, and used to make this final battle better.

Although, now that I remembered, the battle was a little rushed and could have been better if it were two episodes instead, of one, but that's the Pokémon Anime for you.

Something disappointing is that Dawn has never ever won against Zoey.

So if I understood correct, it seems like they actually bothered to make a brand new song for this ep! When was the last time that happened? Season 9 ?
10 11 12 - three seasons they never bothered to do that... and finally they do it again
I liked how 4Kids did it a lot (eps like Pika almost leaving, Misty leave, Max and Ralts, Pika lose memory, etc...) and I was disappointed that the new dub seemed to either not use songs in eps at all, or use existing ones instead of creating new ones for the specific ep
I really hope they'll continue to use new songs when needed

And I hope TPCi release the full version soon. That song was awesome!

Yeah, I thought this would be when she does. I'd like to think that if Dawn had won, it'd would've been a historical moment in the Anime: A main character winning a regional tournament.

Talk about wasted opportunities.

It was a nice battle at all, but there was still too much dub music. At least we got what seems to be a new vocal song. It was a bit hard to hear though.

It also would've been nice if there was a little less commentary and more fighting. It felt like just as we were getting into the flow of things someone would comment on the battle. I know that's nothing new, but do we really need a peanut gallery during the last Contest ever?

Something interesting is that scene of Jessie throwing away her Contest dress and how they talked about focusing on Team Rocket again. (Though I think Kojiro talking about a comeback to the path of evil was more telling.) Amazing how long ago the foreshadowing began.

I don't think she really had any reason to win this battle
It's much better character development wise to make her almost win (prove she's getting closer to Zoey's level) but still lose (prove she can handle losing now and be totally ok with it) and prove her maturity to her mom (giving her back the ribbon, saying she now has her Poké and friends) despite her lose
It's a perfect ending for Dawn's character... beating Zoey would just ruin it
Hopefully one day we'll see Dawn beat Zoey or at least hear about it somehow, but even if we don't, I'm happy with what they did

I don't think she really had any reason to win this battle
It's much better character development wise to make her almost win (prove she's getting closer to Zoey's level) but still lose (prove she can handle losing now and be totally ok with it) and prove her maturity to her mom (giving her back the ribbon, saying she now has her Poké and friends) despite her lose
It's a perfect ending for Dawn's character... beating Zoey would just ruin it
Hopefully one day we'll see Dawn beat Zoey or at least hear about it somehow, but even if we don't, I'm happy with what they did

yeah, I guess you're right, but in pretty much the same way, Ash won against Paul in the League officially for the first time. So this is pretty much the same thing (albeit not in the finals) except the other way around.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom