• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP20: A Grand Fight for Winning!

Contests are over for good. Oh well, it was a good run but I am glad it stopped as soon as it did. Contest episodes were getting kind of repetitive (even more so than gym battles).

In terms of the battle itself, well I can't say that I enjoyed it more than previous Grand Festival battles (i.e. May VS Drew, Nando VS Zoey). For the greater part of the match, it is Zoey that has the complete upper hand. Dawn insists on charging in like an amateur while Zoey predicts each and every move her opponent makes.

That's not to say Dawn hasn't surprised Zoey quite a few times, but in terms of battle experience and contest strategies, she comes in a little too short. Also let's not forget that Togekiss hasn't been in many battles.

I am glad that Dawn ended up losing in the end, that she is still inexperienced. Zoey has told Dawn before that in order to improve, she must not be satisfied with where she is now. I don't know what Dawn would have done if she won here.

As Johanna puts it, "It doesn't mean this is the end, it's just the beginning."

Jessie also gives up on contests for good, seeing that the person she lost against ended up losing in the final match.

As far as the music goes, some of my favorite pieces were kept throughout the episode. It was a relief seeing that PSM 2 was used during the end of the match, for example.

Nice episode. The battle was nice and I loved watching Glameow use its tail to make all of those combinations.

Goodbye contests!Isn't this the last time we see Mammoswine and Cyndaquil?

Piplup, Buneary, Togekiss, and Mamoswine are used in future episodes.

Cyndaquil and Pachirisu are the only two pokemon Dawn owns that are never seen again after this episode.

Last edited:
Iris better be a coordinator or else the writers will be on the receiving end of my fist

I don't really understand why people think Dawn's loss makes her ending uneven. Dawn's rivalry with Zoey isn't like the one Ash has with Paul. She didn't have to win to prove her worth. It was almost more of supportive sibling rivalry really.

In the end Zoey won because she was better than Dawn. Not by a huge milestone, but probably just in this battle.

It's one of those ep I need to see again before I really examine it though. That's not to say I didn't like it on my first go though. I loved it.

I loved this ending, Dawn's story has been my favorite so far. Even though I knew the outcome from the start, I felt extremely sad when Dawn lost.

It was the best way to wrap up Dawn's story in my opinion as well. Losing builds character and makes you stronger in the end.

Iris better be a coordinator or else the writers will be on the receiving end of my fist

Well, thats not gonna happen because

1. They are no contests in Isshu
2. Shes the 8th gym leader in Isshu (which is even better)
3. SHe don't look like the contest-type kinda girl

How much JP music did they keep? I heard Symphonic Medley 2 for sure.

Awesome battle! It was just... cool. The great animation really helped.

Only seven pieces, and they added an insert song.

8 if you count Nando's harp. TPCi actually didn't replace a lot of music... Not including the title theme and Dawn's theme, TPCi only replaced two pieces. One of them was "Last Battle!" from Movie 6, but hey.

I'm just glad they kept Pokemon Symphonic Medley 2 and As Long as I Can Hold My Breath. I really didn't think TPCi would keep PSM2.

Oh man, Iwane could take a dump and it'd still be the most beautifully animated thing I'd ever seen. O_O

In terms of everything overall, this battle was superior to Nando vs Zoey (which didn't make me feel as nervous and as exciting as this battle did. Although I'd credit to the song that was playing near the end; which surprised me actually. Since most time PCI doesn't bother with vocal songs and only use them in rare cases. There should be 2-3 more times I'd like this. Ash's Final Badge Battle, And Ash vs Paul in the Sinnoh League, also while it is optional (since it isn't as important) I'd still like to see another vocal song with the match prior to Ash vs Paul (since that had one in the original).

As for the battle itself, maybe Zoey and Nando might have been slightly superior (overall). But that last colliding of attacks (red aura peck and boosted psycho cut) did was far better than anything that happened in Nando vs Zoey, not to mention we got artistic still shots which were really nice.

I really enjoyed this episode, normally Dawn's contests don't impress me but this one and the Nando V.S Zoey one are my favorites. I loved a few of Dawn's moves, Zoey keeps impressing me though so I'm glad she won. Animation and music was really great and I kept intrest in the battle the entire time. So, yah over all a good episode, I'll miss contests a bit but they weren't my favorite parts of the series so..

So, I'm back from Las Vegas (man, I had a blast) and ready to comment on this week's episode.

I'd like to call it a worthy finale and appropriate conclusion of the contests in general.
The battle itself was very exciting and I couldn't detect any logical flaws (my speciality after all ^^) We also got a good amount of farewell-scenes that were long enough to end the Grand Festival on a positive note. I've never been a big fan of contests because many combinations or appeals ended up being logically flawed and often made me complain, but well, everything's well that ends well, right?

Just a few remarks about things that struck me as interesting:
- What was the big deal about Zoey's diversionary tactic.:goof: To be honest, if I were Dawn, she wouldn't have fooled me, because I saw no profound strategy in this move at all. Besides, it didn't yield any decisive results either. I would have kept aiming at my opponents regardless of what they were pretending to do and so, I couldn't see how any of the things Zoey came up with could have distracted Dawn

- Also, during their final move when Galade jumped on Glameow's tail, Zoey told the latter to use Shadow Ball, however, the move that the Pokemon used clearly resembled an electric move. Considering that the only two electric move Glameow can learn are Thunderbolt and Thunder, this must be a pretty bad translation mistake. Didn't you realize it?

All in all, a decent and entertaining episode which I definitely enjoyed watching!

7.5/ 8 out of 10 points

You know, while I don't mind Dawn losing, I do mind that fact that the main characters that have a goal lose the regional tournament over and over and over and over and over again. Have the main character lose the final battle once every other league or GF would be fine but every time?

The writers are really keen on telling us that our heroes don't always win again and again.

You know, while I don't mind Dawn losing, I do mind that fact that the main characters that have a goal lose the regional tournament over and over and over and over and over again. Have the main character lose the final battle once every other league or GF would be fine but every time? :saiyan:

The writers are really keen on telling us that our heroes don't always win again and again.

Yeah, you're right. She did lose, but she acted real mature about it. She didn't cry and pout, and it shows that she won't always win. Although it sucks that no main girl will ever win the GF just like ASH NEVER WINS HIS LEAGUES LOL...

A great sendoff for contests, I'll be sad to see contests go.......:bawl:

Yeah, but there are times when they do win eventually, like Ash vs. Paul when he didn't win until the last battle.

Yeah, but there are times when they do win eventually, like Ash vs. Paul when he didn't win until the last battle.

I was actually talking about the main characters competing in a League or a GF. The writers never let them win. It's become pretty depressing and too damn predictable.

I don't mind that Dawn lost but having her win would've been unpredictable. And before you say that she couldn't have, let me remind you that this was decided by writers not fate itself.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom