• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP23: Four Roads Diverged in a Pokémon Port!

NeoKING said:
Blame fansubs from amateurs to make one think every instance of the word "kakkoi" means "cool."

But the fansubs would be translating what's actually being said, not the subtext of what was being said. It's up to us, as viewers, to determine whether or not her saying "cool" was said in a romantic way or not.

On the Johto starters thing, tbh if the series ever ends I expect to see all of Ash's Pokemon fully evolved...excpet for the ones that made it clear they don't want to evolve. That might upset some people due to lack of development in their evolution but oh well.

what the friggin heck was with brocks love speach? "and then again.. and again.. and again" is he going crazy? Worst part ever. iwa like.. WTF??
overall.... it was good.

Anyone else realize this is one of Brock's last love speeches in the show ever?

That's not what I was talking about, actually. I was referring to this:

Flashback from "Flint Sparks the Fire!"

flint_chimchar.png

Flashback from "Four Roads Diverged in a Pokemon Port!"

flint_monferno.png
That's actually exactly what I was referring to. Having Chimchar as an adult seems way too unlikely if it's now fully evolved probably not too long after that image was taken of Chimchar vs Bidoof. Because I doubt he became an E4 with it as anything /but/ an Infernape, given its level of training. It could be possible Chimchar and Monferno were strong enough to bat away attacks so easily, but given their size, it's incredibly unlikely.

It could be an oversight, but I'd like to think it's a more plausible retcon to how his childhood went.

Also, the note on why Steelix didn't use Dig? What's the first thing Ash tried once he heard about Flint's battle strategy? He tried it out himself at the first opportunity. Jasmine's out in the world trying to find battle styles to incorporate into her own; who's to say she wasn't doing the same thing?

Besides, if she used Dig, the battle would have gone on longer, and there'd be less of anything developmental.

Well, yes, but DP was the end of a lot of things so it's not really relevant.
Though epsiodes like this make me sad he's not in the show anymore. (along with a lot of other things, lol)

But the fansubs would be translating what's actually being said, not the subtext of what was being said. It's up to us, as viewers, to determine whether or not her saying "cool" was said in a romantic way or not.

That's one school of translating. Personally, I go for the more dynamic approach. But that's just me.

Who cares what w/e hidden meaning there was. It's not like we are going to see them married with children anyway.

I'm more interested in how the champion league actually works. I don't recall if it's been stated, but can you challenge the E4 anytime you want as long as you've beaten that regions particular league? He was really young when he appparently won, so I'm guessing you can.

Tyson won the Hoenn league, and didn't mention anything about the E4 if I recall correctly. W/e I guess. Makes me wonder what the first league Ash will win will be. *crosses fingers for the Isshu League*

Who cares what w/e hidden meaning there was. It's not like we are going to see them married with children anyway.

I'm more interested in how the champion league actually works. I don't recall if it's been stated, but can you challenge the E4 anytime you want as long as you've beaten that regions particular league? He was really young when he appparently won, so I'm guessing you can.

Tyson won the Hoenn league, and didn't mention anything about the E4 if I recall correctly. W/e I guess. Makes me wonder what the first league Ash will win will be. *crosses fingers for the Isshu League*

We get it, you don't like the dub's choice of words/implications. Don't get so worked up.

We get it, you don't like the dub's choice of words/implications. Don't get so worked up.

Worked up? I don't care about Kenny/Dawn's implied "romance", or w/e you want to call it. I was just stating a point. These characters aren't going to get together and shag anyway.

Last edited:
Bah, wever. Blame fansubs from amateurs to make one think every instance of the word "kakkoi" means "cool." Meh, I'm not a shippo or w/e, just pointing it out.

My immense apologies. In the future, we will make sure to keep a note on the top of the screen throughout the entire episode reading "this translation may or may not be the only possible implications of the most recently spoken word".

Shouldn't you rather be blaming people who take fansub dialogue as the one and only truth, anyway?

(I'm all for dynamic translations, but the implications of "cool" as used here should be pretty obvious. How could you read anything else into it? The English dub's word choice, however, I found sounded much too stiff. 10-year-olds don't call each other "handsome")

Last edited:
Handsome? Kenny...handsome!?

Okay, okay, joking aside, this was a really great send-off for Kenny. He doesn't exactly deserve it (if it wasn't for his rushed knockout from the GF) but whatever.

Really liked how the episode focused on a lot of things rather than just a single plot to the point of dragging it out/possibly making the episode boring. Oh, and the lighthouse scene at the end was just adorable. The Flint/Ash moments weren't too shabby either.
Brock was just in the episode to be annoying and give everyone tips about love out of nowhere. I don't know why, but he just did it for some reason.
On the contrary, I thought it was hilarious how Brock specifically tried to talk to Kenny about it. Takes a loser in love to know another fellow loser in love after all. Seriously, his knowing smiles throughout the episode shows he has a lot of experience in the field. XD

Though, the advice he gave Kenny was just terrible. What're you trying to do Brock, make him as desperate and unsuccessful as you are?? :lol:

Wow, good catch. And it was with Jasmine of all girls. Who knew. It certainly is better than just being with some CotD, but it does seem almost a bit weird that it happened to be with a past Gym Leader.

My immense apologies. In the future, we will make sure to keep a note on the top of the screen throughout the entire episode reading "this translation may or may not be the only possible implications of the most recently spoken word".

Shouldn't you rather be blaming people who take fansub dialogue as the one and only truth, anyway?

(I'm all for dynamic translations, but the implications of "cool" as used here should be pretty obvious. How could you read anything else into it? The English dub's word choice, however, I found sounded much too stiff. 10-year-olds don't call each other "handsome")

I REALLY wasn't talking about any fansub group in particular, but if you want to take offense to my comment be my guest.

Also, you and I both know how heart-broken those people would be if I told them "Temee" didn't mean "bastard."

dictionary.com said:
hand·some
–adjective, -som·er, -som·est.
1. having an attractive, well-proportioned, and imposing appearance suggestive of health and strength; good-looking: a handsome man; a handsome woman.
2. having pleasing proportions, relationships, or arrangements, as of shapes, forms, or colors; attractive: a handsome house; a handsome interior.
3. exhibiting skill, taste, and refinement; well-made: a handsome story; handsome furniture.
4. considerable, ample, or liberal in amount: a handsome fortune.
5. gracious; generous; flattering: a handsome compliment; a handsome recommendation.
6. adroit and appealing; graceful: a handsome speech.
dictionary.com said:
cool
adjective, -er, -est, adverb, noun, verb
–adjective
1. moderately cold; neither warm nor cold: a rather cool evening.
2. feeling comfortably or moderately cold: I'm perfectly cool, but open the window if you feel hot.
3. imparting a sensation of moderate coldness or comfortable freedom from heat: a cool breeze.
4. permitting such a sensation: a cool dress.
5. not excited; calm; composed; under control: to remain cool in the face of disaster.
6. not hasty; deliberate: a cool and calculated action.
7. lacking in interest or enthusiasm: a cool reply to an invitation.
8. lacking in warmth or cordiality: a cool reception.
9. calmly audacious or impudent: a cool lie.
10. aloof or unresponsive; indifferent: He was cool to her passionate advances.
11. unaffected by emotions; disinterested; dispassionate: She made a cool appraisal of all the issues in the dispute.
12. Informal . (of a number or sum) without exaggeration or qualification: a cool million dollars.
13. (of colors) with green, blue, or violet predominating.
14. Slang . a. great; fine; excellent: a real cool comic.

b. characterized by great facility; highly skilled or clever: cool maneuvers on the parallel bars.

c. socially adept: It's not cool to arrive at a party too early.

There; not the fansub's fault NeoKING, as they appear to mean very different things.

I REALLY wasn't talking about any fansub group in particular, but if you want to take offense to my comment be my guest.

No real "offense" taken, but this particular episode has only ever been subbed by one group.

Also, you and I both know how heart-broken those people would be if I told them "Temee" didn't mean "bastard."

True, true.

Mjolnir: What the hell are you talking about?

Okay, I apologize. "Kakkoi" must always be translated as "Cool" and fansubs must always be trusted. I feel like such a jerk, disagreeing with Japanese dennotation and connotation like that. Forgives?(Just messin' around XD)

But anyway, I heard they took out foreshadows?

No real "offense" taken, but this particular episode has only ever been subbed by one group.

Wait, seriously? Um.... yikes. Excuse me while I take my foot out of my mouth. Sorry, I thought the guys who sub the newer episodes were the ones who did the so-bad-damn-near HK subs with the blurry font of early DP. Granted I haven't seen DP subs past episode 4 because of those non-sense subs.("Pikachu" = "Piccash???")

Last edited:
How did you ever get that out of my post? Of course it can be translated several ways, but using "cool" like we did should carry across the implications of the line perfectly fine. Maybe "you looked really good" would've been better? *shrug*

I still say "handsome" sounds really stiff, though. Ten-year-olds don't call each other handsome.

(hell, where did this discussion about specific word choices come from, anyway?)

(dammit don't edit your post while I'm replying :disgust:. Now I look like the jerk here)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom