• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP23: Four Roads Diverged in a Pokémon Port!

How did you ever get that out of my post? Of course it can be translated several ways, but using "cool" like we did should carry across the implications of the line perfectly fine. Maybe "you looked really good" would've been better? *shrug*

I still say "handsome" sounds really stiff, though. Ten-year-olds don't call each other handsome.

(hell, where did this discussion about specific word choices come from, anyway?)

No, I was just kidding, lol.

LOL are we still analyzing the context of what Dawn said?

If anything she likes both Ash, and Kenny equally...as friends.

No, I was just kidding, lol.

Yep, saw that after I had first made the post. Sorry.

Sorry, I thought the guys who sub the newer episodes were the ones who did the so-bad-damn-near HK subs with the blurry font of early DP. Granted I haven't seen DP subs past episode 4 because of those non-sense subs.("Pikachu" = "Piccash???")

Not sure which group you're talking about, but these particular episodes were only subbed by us as far as I know.
There's at least 4 groups doing BW now, though - two of them absolutely horrible

-

Aand apparently the entire "handsome/cool/kakko" stuff started from this post, rather than some direct quote from any fansub.. so yeah.

What? Dawn called him "handsome"? If I remember correct, in Japanese she said "kakoi" which should've been translated as "cool", not "handsome" @_@

(but yeah, we did use "cool" in our translation of the line - which in turn led to my assumption that people were talking about that. My bad)

Last edited:
Speaking of translation stuff...this episode's script is pretty terrible, translation wise. There were a lot of rewrites in this episode, even more than usual.

Roronoa Zorua said:
It could be an oversight, but I'd like to think it's a more plausible retcon to how his childhood went.

Well, one man's retcon is another man's contradiction. I personally think it looks sloppy and unprofessional of them to go and change something that was established in an earlier episode. I don't care if they thought the change was one for the better; they've already committed to the idea of adult Ohba with a Hikozaru, and they should have stuck with it.

Adamant said:
The English dub's word choice, however, I found sounded much too stiff. 10-year-olds don't call each other "handsome"

Well, to be fair, this is the same dub that features a five year old whose first thought when seeing his friend with sparkly hair is "diamond dandruff."

TPCI doesn't know how to write for kids, which is kind of annoying since this show is filled with them.

Musashi said:
Is this the last boss fantasy, or is there one more I'm forgetting?

This is it. I really don't see them bringing them back in Best Wishes!, so this is probably going to be the last one forever and ever.

Last edited:
This is it.

Not really the best one to go out on. Yonemura can write some funny stuff, so it's too bad he probably didn't know that was it.

I really don't see them bringing them back in Best Wishes!, so this is probably going to be the last one forever and ever.

Yeah, I agree. :-( What's funny is that I don't really like them that much, but it's still sad to see them go.

TR can't be fantasizing about Giovanni waking up in the morning or brushing his teeth when BW portrays the character as an evil mob boss, which is what he should be.

Giovanni was made into a joke by those fantasies, its easy to forget that he's supposed to be a ruthless crime boss.

Mjolnir: What the hell are you talking about?

Was sorta replying to this post, by saying the two words (handsome and cool) are very different:

So "handsome" was a decent translation. It's like if a girl came up to a guy and said "I think you're really cute." Flirting.
------------------
There's at least 4 groups doing BW now, though - two of them absolutely horrible

Really? I just know of two. *scratches head*
(and if you can't answer me here, I'll take a PM/VM. =d)

EDIT: Nvm, I got an answer.

Last edited:
Musashi said:
Not really the best one to go out on. Yonemura can write some funny stuff, so it's too bad he probably didn't know that was it.

It's also strange to think that we, as viewers, didn't realize that this would be the last one, either. Rewatching these episodes with the knowledge of what happens later is weird, to say the least.

Yeah, I agree. :-( What's funny is that I don't really like them that much, but it's still sad to see them go.

I absolutely loved those fantasies and already miss them dearly. I would have loved to see what kind of ridiculous uses Nyasu would have come up with for some of the new Gen V pokemon.

Kenny's didn't even seem like a rival. Don't see why they waste their time on the love "drama" between 10 year olds.

Hard to believe this is Brock's last love speech though. Oh well, he was alight while he lasted. Dento is a good replacement.

I do kinda hope Cynthia makes an apperance in B/W at some point. Because I want to see her, and Ash battle even if it be a little one-sided.

Last edited:
To date I don't know why Ursula wasn't introduced as Dawn's second rival instead.

Ursula had so much potential but it was wasted with her late debut. Instead we got stuck with Kenny for all of early/mid DP. :/

Hold on, what do you mean by 'love speech'? He 'flirted' with Nurse Joys a few times after this. Unless you mean to Kenny...

Anyway, he may again if he cameos.

I just had to post this picture because it's so beautiful. (except for the fact that Cynthia's cleavage was poorly edited)
The perfection of strength, grace and epicness:

CynthiaGarchompgloriouspose.jpg

Besides, no matter how often I watch this episode, it always strikes me that Ash and Brock behaved kind of like traitors (yeah you read correctly):
On the conveyor belt when Flint told Ash that he was finally ready to challenge Her Majesty, the latter and Brock said enthusiastically that they would be rooting for him. How dare they say that? After all they went through together with Cynthia and considering the close friendship they have, how can they root for her opponent all of a sudden?
No, this has nothing to do with my admiration for the "Queen and Angel" (believe it or not!), but to me it's a question of fairness!
They had known Cynthia long long before they met Flint and if she had told them that she would take on an Elite Four member soon, I'm completely sure that Ash and co. would have wished her luck and would have said the same they said to Flint.
So, when Ash and Brock encouraged Flint, it seems to me that they just wanted to howl with the wolves. Did they really forget that at the end of "Double Team Turnover", Cynthia was so nice as to promise Ash to root for him during his upcoming gym battle? Think about it: It was just an "ordinary" gym battle but still, Cynthia was generous enough to care for Ash's matters (which can be considered rather insignificant compared to her own great tasks)
Obviously, both guys must have completely forgotten that they were privileged to meet the Queen of Pokemon and how nice she was, otherwise I have no reasonable explanation for this ungrateful, disloyal demeanor.
Ash and Brock, I'm disappointed and expected better from you!

How are they betraying either of them? They hold some amicable relationship with both of them so its not like they're literally hoping one completely squashes the other. It seems like they simply want both of them to do their best.

Ash and Brock, I'm disappointed and expected better from you!

You forget. Ash and Flint both have an Infernape. So Ash has something to identify with Flint unlike Cynthia.

*Semi spoiler, not that it really matters though if you know it beforehand*
Also remember the last DP episode where we get to see this battle Flint vs Cynthia. Remember how Ash imagined it was him battling Cynthia because they could since Ash and Flint both have an Infernape.

Besides Cynthia doesn't need luck. Flint on the other hand does need to be wished good luck since he's the one battling Cynthia.

Besides it's just in character for all of them to root for everyone.

I see nothing disloyal about it. If Flint was the champion and Cynthia was the challenger, I'm sure Ash and co would be rooting for Cynthia just the same. It's just a matter of what Ash and co find out first. Had Cynthia told them she was battling Flint from the beginning (prior to this) I'm almost positive they would be rooting for Cynthia. It's just a matter of who tells Ash and Co first.

Not only all that but it would be rude of Ash and Co to say plain and simple: "I hope Cynthia beats you." So if we ignore Ash pretending to battle Cynthia in that future episode, it could just be them being nice to Flint.

Queen Cynthia said:
(except for the fact that Cynthia's cleavage was poorly edited)

It looked like that in the Japanese version as well.

Like Don said, it's a simple coloring error. Not a dub edit.

You forget. Ash and Flint both have an Infernape. So Ash has something to identify with Flint unlike Cynthia.

*Semi spoiler, not that it really matters though if you know it beforehand*
Also remember the last DP episode where we get to see this battle Flint vs Cynthia. Remember how Ash imagined it was him battling Cynthia because they could since Ash and Flint both have an Infernape.

Besides Cynthia doesn't need luck. Flint on the other hand does need to be wished good luck since he's the one battling Cynthia.

Besides it's just in character for all of them to root for everyone.

I see nothing disloyal about it. If Flint was the champion and Cynthia was the challenger, I'm sure Ash and co would be rooting for Cynthia just the same. It's just a matter of what Ash and co find out first. Had Cynthia told them she was battling Flint from the beginning (prior to this) I'm almost positive they would be rooting for Cynthia. It's just a matter of who tells Ash and Co first.

Not only all that but it would be rude of Ash and Co to say plain and simple: "I hope Cynthia beats you." So if we ignore Ash pretending to battle Cynthia in that future episode, it could just be them being nice to Flint.

wow you actually managed to include Cynthia's wonderful name more often than I usually do. Respect!
As for my remarks on Ash's behavior: At least he could have said to Flint: "I hope you'll do your best" or something like that. That way he would still have been able to express his sympathy for Flint, but wouldn't have been disloyal to Cynthia.
Ash, I'd do everything (even die) to be with Cynthia and you act as if it meant nothing to you.

This episode was okay. I liked the Jasmine/Flint battle even though it was a bit short and the Ash/Kenny battle was alright too. I'm not much of a shipper for the younger characters though, so I wasn't really interested in that aspect.

This ep makes me sad.

Its like Flint told Ash to believe himself in the league no matter how strong his opponent was and he could win.

Little did we know at the time it would lead to the biggest anti-climax in Pokemon anime history.

I thought the same. It seemed like blatant foreshadowing to me, only for it not to amount to anything at all.

I also wonder what was the point to the whole trying Flints battling style, if Ash was never going to try it ever again.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom