• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP01: In the Shadow of Zekrom! ・ EP02: Enter Iris and Axew!

Yeah; Ash sure was annoying - it didn't help that during those scenes, he was drawn to look like a brat.

I've emailed ITV (the company that owns CITV; for those who don't know) to ask when they plan to air "Memories are Made of Bliss" and "Black & White".

Thanks for that. I was considering doing that myself but I didn't. I'd really like to watch DP191.

Anyway, saw these episodes this morning obviously. It looks much nicer on my TV I'll admit. Though not the best episodes for me, obviously again.

I can't be the only one who identified with Trip here, can I? While Gary and Paul were (at least initially) portrayed as arseholes, I find Trip's dislike of Ash to be perfectly justified. Good God, the kid wouldn't leave him alone.

"Ooooh boy I bet you're so excited I sure was I couldn't sleep at all hey what starter are you gonna pick they all look great I don't know which one I like best that's a fire type nice and fiery oh that one's so cute and that one sure looks confident hey where are you going we should battle I'm gonna be a Pokémon master you know Pikachu use Volt Tackle huh that didn't work oh well you beat me YOU'RE MY RIVAL NOW!"

No, you're not alone...
i like Ash, i really do, but he's an ashole sometimes...

So I finally got around to seeing the second episode in English, and I don't know why everyone's acting like the script is so much better all of a sudden. The rewrites are as plentiful as they've always been.

So I finally got around to seeing the second episode in English, and I don't know why everyone's acting like the script is so much better all of a sudden. The rewrites are as plentiful as they've always been.
When I watched the episode, I did notice some dialogue sounded like TPCi (Team Rocket's damn rhyming!). It's annoying; the one time TR should rhyme is the motto (after all, a motto is there to be memorable), yet in this episode, one of the only times they didn't rhyme - was during the motto.

Watched the first five minutes of In The Shadow of Zekrom, first new animé episode in many years. The changes were especially jarring. The animation is all wrong. There's unnecessary CGI effects, the voices sound like they were fan-dubbed...the fact that Ash is 10 again really made it sound like the writers (or the dubbers) forgot, but then they downplayed his maturity even more. The theme song is awful, and the fact that all of you thought it was better than DP is depressing.

The only thing that would've made me believe, even delusionally, that it was a total reboot, was hearing Jessie mention seeing "the twerp" on the plane.

It seemed the only thing that hasn't changed too much is Pikachu.

Really, it seems like it's gone long enough. Time to kill it.

the fact that Ash is 10 again really made it sound like the writers (or the dubbers) forgot
Forgot what? Ash has always been 10.

Also, as long as the games sell, the anime will never end. If they did a complete reboot (ala Yu-Gi-Oh!) it would kill the franchise...like it did with Yu-Gi-Oh!

Forgot what? Ash has always been 10.

Also, as long as the games sell, the anime will never end. If they did a complete reboot (ala Yu-Gi-Oh!) it would kill the franchise...like it did with Yu-Gi-Oh!

Didn't one of the episodes that Ash had been traveling for at least a year? Since his age was only mentioned a few times in Season 1, fans had assumed he had aged a year or two.

All of the things he learned in the previous seasons, such as being a better trainer and less of an idiot, have disappeared.

OK, it wasn't that bad. I mean, it sucked, but it didn't destroy my good childhood memories.

Another way they could've pulled it off less jarringly is some of Dr. Who-like re-generation. Same Ash, new personality, discarded canon isn't such a big deal.

Something else was bugging me. A bit of fridge logic, if you will.

The last time Pikachu got overloaded (Beginning of Hoenn, I think), he got really sick and was discharging excess electricity at random. He got better when he released it all on Team Rocket.
Well, more like they sucked it out of him, but the principle still applies. Electric-types seem to get sick when they have too much electricity, and bringing it down to normal cures it.

That's cool and all, but here Pikachu was super-overcharged, and this time, not only did he not fall ill, he couldn't even release any electricity until Zekrom came back.

So, what's the explanation?

Something else was bugging me. A bit of fridge logic, if you will.

The last time Pikachu got overloaded (Beginning of Hoenn, I think), he got really sick and was discharging excess electricity at random. He got better when he released it all on Team Rocket.
Well, more like they sucked it out of him, but the principle still applies. Electric-types seem to get sick when they have too much electricity, and bringing it down to normal cures it.

That's cool and all, but here Pikachu was super-overcharged, and this time, not only did he not fall ill, he couldn't even release any electricity until Zekrom came back.

So, what's the explanation?
Zekrom has magic electricity.

This is a series where a rat can generate electricity, and shoot lightning bolts...it doesn't have to make sense.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom