• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP20: Dancing With the Ducklett Trio!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW20 - "Dancing With the Ducklett Trio!"

Still on their way to Castelia City, Ash and Iris start another training battle between Scraggy and Kibago and after it finishes Ash falls down a crafted long hole! Just who is the source of this mischeif, and are they the only ones up to no good?

As good as TR are with their holes, I think Sandile just beat them. This ep still reminds me of the sketches. You know...I feel sorry for Sandile. Did Cilan just call that move sexy? Ducklet's blasting off agaaaaain. DEAL WITH IT. Krokorok bla...ah, you get it. Very interesting.

That episode was seriously messed up. o_o
Anyway, so that's what Electro Ball looks like. I suppose it'll be a good replacement for Volt Tackle, but I don't really think it's all that different from Thunderbolt.

Them Ducklett TROLLS.

I'm just glad TPCi kept Best Wishes theme during the Waruvile battle

Ducklett's and Krokorok's dub voices were......eh, okay I guess. Ducklett's voice was fine, but I think the Japanese voice made them sound much more goofy and troll like. Krokorok sounded kinda weird, kinda like Vector the Crocodile from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Waruvile sounded a lot better since he sounded more like a threat.

Besides that, not bad. I couldn't hear the music well because of my crappy TV in my dad's room.

Wonder if we'll see the Ducklett trio again. The scene where the trio seem to have gain a bit of empathy and give the glasses back still had me cracking up. The animation was liquid smooth, to be expected of Tamagawa. {There are times where I wonder if he is better than Iwane.} Electroball....nice.

sandile eloves and Pikachu Leans A New Move

The Ducklett Trio Looks Good As Pictures
I Haven't Seen The Episode Yet but it looks like a good episode

Let me sum up the Ducklett in one sentence. Okay, the Ducklett are annoying trolls that have high voices that made Pikachu learn Thunderbolt. Really, their voices sound like a five-year-old at a preschool.

It's good that Pikachu knows Electro Ball. I guess no more Volt Tackle. When was the last time Pikachu used Volt Tackle?

Ash was pretty dumb by not knowing that Pikachu can't use Electric moves on Sandile until he hits him. Really writers? You made Ash so dumb now.

By far this episode was decent. There were quite a lot of problems with this episode though.

I'm thinking it was a combination of ideas; mostly/loosely based on the Squirtle Squad and that Mankey that stole Ash's hat the first time. That was funny. I actually like the Best Wishes anime. It's not too bad. At least now the anime is finally using game ideas.

This episode was very comical from the get-go. It starts off with Ash and the others minding their own business until Ash and Pikachu fell down a hole again, and ended up being separated from the others. It turns out that the Sandile from the sand bath wanted to challenge Pikachu to a battle yet again. Well, it is all good until the trio encounters a Ducklett who manages to steal Sandile's glasses on accident. Sandile lost all of its bravado and esteem after losing something that was important to it, and was willing to work alongside Ash and co. to retrieve its sunglasses back. After a second encounter, Ash's hat also becomes stolen. Iris and Cilan, as well as the pokemon that were kept outside their balls in the episode, were not left in the dark, either. A third Ducklett comes by to steal Cilan's tableware, and burns both Iris and Oshawott.

This entire episode has many parallels to Ash's twisted relationship with TRio in the past. Ash's confrontations against the Ducklett Trio can be likened to Ash's repeated struggles against TRio to retrieve their stolen possession back, and in some of these cases, it took a few encounters for Ash to succeed in these endeavors. While the Ducklett trio has a comical routine all on its own, they still embody many of the comical traits of AG and DP TRio. The Ducklett were seen celebrating after they reunited with one another and collected what they have stolen. This can be a reference to how TRio usually celebrates their spoils after they work together to steal something from the main group, often leaving themselves exposed to a counterattack (as was the case in this episode with the Ducklett). The Ducklett are also very persistent, and even after they were blasted off by Pikachu's electric attacks, immediately returned to the scene of the incident brimming with confidence. The Ducklett's rhythmic singing at the end of this encounter is a reference to the odd and quirky conversations that TRio usually have with each other when they blast off (most of these encounters are episode-specific).

The Sunglasses Sandile represents the other side of this spectrum, in which TRio has been up and beaten by a more sinister or clever antagonist, and requires Ash (or other members of the group) to assist them for revenge. TRio usually plays the sympathy card in order for Ash and co. to grudgingly work together with them. Although its intentions were not as selfish or manipulative, the Sunglasses Sandile still managed to get Ash to help it out despite their rough encounter at the start of the episode. After the Ducklett trio was stopped permanently, and the Sandile retrieves its sunglasses back, Sandile goes back to its usual routine and attempts to battle Pikachu yet again. Sandile's type immunity to electric-type attacks can be a reference to how TRio formulates their mechas with rubber to prevent Pikachu from breaking out, requiring Pikachu to use another tactic to stop this otherwise invincible enemy. Sandile evolves into a Krokorok, but even so, the pokemon was blasted off by a relatively weak attack colliding with its own. This is a reference to how TRio's pokemon may appear to be on the level of the group's pokemon they are attempting to steal, but due to plot reasons, are very vulnerable to counterattacks and can be easily defeated.

To some, this episode simply reintroduces a recurring wild pokemon and has it evolve at the end of the episode just to prove that its presence was rewarded at the end of the episode. Pikachu also learned a new attack, thereby rewarding him and Ash for all of the time and energy spent into retrieving Sandile's glasses back. To me, I felt that this episode was intended to be a parody of TRio's usual pre-BW interactions with Ash, Pikachu, and members of the main group.

The Ducklett trio represents TRio at their highest; brimming with confidence, enjoying the spoils of their victory, and pretending to form a compromise with the main group, only to fool them at the end. The Duckletts were also very persistent and would keep returning until Pikachu permanently put an end to their tirade. On the other, the Sunglasses Sandile represents TRio at their lowest. Feeling defeated from battle but still seeking revenge, TRio has worked together with Ash and co. in the past. Together, they managed to defeat the stronger antagonist, but TRio still wanted to win at the end of the day. They go back to their usual business near the end of such an episode, only to fail quickly and completely when they battle against Ash and Pikachu again.

Those Duckletts really reminded me of the three ducklings Huey Dewie and Louie always causing trouble for their "Uncy Donald"

I enjoyed the scene of Scraggy on top of Iris' head. :p

Seriously though, I love this episode. The only downside is that, as mentioned, the Ducklett trio didn't sound troll like enough. And I thought Krokorok's voice was just plain awful. Hope we don't have to hear it again after the Plasma/Rocket eps.

This episode was okay. I was laughing at all of the comedic scenes that were in the episodes (The Ducklett stole an electric guitar? Seriously? xD).

As mentioned before, the Ducklett weren't threatening enough. I like the fact that they gave their voice a duck vibe, though, similar to how they gave Tepig's a pig vibe.

The Scraggy vs. Axew scene was hilarious. I loved how Axew tried to pull down Scraggy's pants... that was priceless.

Something that stuck me as odd was how Ash knew what Scald was, even though it was introduced in Unova. Unless I have a terrible memory, Scald debuted in this episode, right?

Heh, I wonder if Krokorok will appear after the Rocket episodes. I'm surprised that Ash didn't acknowledge his encounter with Sandile in the Trubbish episode. Huh.

Now just imagine their return as the Swanna trio... :p

An okay episode.

7.75 points out of 10

This is an perfect example of an episode which doesn't advance the plot much, but is still fun and worthwhile.

The Duckletts were funny, and thats pretty much all there is to this episode.

I just noticed this, but in this series it seems like the Pokémon actually "transform" when they evolve more so than in earlier seasons. You can especially see it in Krokorok's evolution.

I think this is actually one of the my favourite episodes of pokemon as a whole. The show has always been at it's best when it doesn't take itself too seriously and has fun with silly situations and characters imo, and this is a great example of it being done at it's best. It'd be a shame if the three Ducklett don't appear in a future episode, as they pretty much made this one what it was.
I thought the dub did quite well with the Ducklett's voices. 'Duuuuck lett, lett, lett, lett lett!' is no 'Aaaaaa hehehehehe!', but I still found it funny regardless.

Certainly one of the sillier episodes to be sure. I can't help but wonder what the Duckletts were doing with all that stuff anyway.

In addition, I noticed Krokorok sounds EXACTLY like Don George!

I'm usually critical about some Pokemon solely by how they are in the games. But I must admit, the Ducklett in this episode were cute~♪ My favorite part's gotta be when Pikachu learned Elecrtoball. And it was nice to see Sandile evolve into Krokorok as well.

I enjoyed this episode. You simply can't play the games without watching at least one episode of the anime~♪

First half of the episode didn't really seem to interesting to me but I did like Pikachu's new move and Sandile apperance plus his evolution. Ducklett continues with the trend of very bratty, mean, bully like pokemon that seem to be in Unova. I really could care less about voices so I won't say anything on that. Why when
Oshowatt gets attacked by scold it runs around then drops his Shell... goes back to normal then picks it up nice and happy? It just looked kinda weird, but cute.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom