• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP24 "A Clubsplosion of Excitement!"

Stephan used Interrupt

It's super effective

Evaluation Time fainted.

Honestly, that was brilliant.

Stephan used Interrupt

It's super effective

Evaluation Time fainted.

Honestly, that was brilliant.

Agreed, I know this isn't the first time Cilan's lost, he's by no means a super impressive battler, but Sawk's performance was impressive regardless. He broke Evaluation Time. Sawk might just be the Legendary Super Saiyan.

But the biggest surprise, IMO, was the opening battle, where Bianca beat Trip. I was actually kinda dumbfounded. But after that I was able to do the matchup math to see who was likely to win the following battles. It's most likely ending in a showdown between Montgomery and Stiffler. This Clubsplosion thing is a development chapter for him. Which is one of the few things I like about Gen 5, it focuses a lot on the side characters, which I always thought deserved their time in the limelight, and not in a side series or anything, in the actual show. Makes the whole thing feel more organic, like I'm watching an actual world of Pokémon and trainers.

Agreed, I know this isn't the first time Cilan's lost, he's by no means a super impressive battler, but Sawk's performance was impressive regardless. He broke Evaluation Time. Sawk might just be the Legendary Super Saiyan.

Lol yeah. Burgundy's spiteful fangirling just made it all the more better really.

I can identify with Burgundy's ridiculous spite. She hopes they ALL lose? That's impossible, Burgundy. It's a tournament. But when someone really gets under your skin, you hope against hope for the impossible.

Personally, I found both Burgundy and Georgia really annoying with their screeching tantrums. Burgundy in particular, since she lectured Trip about what happens when pople with big egos lose. "Hey, Kettle? This is Pot. Just letting you know how black you are." At least Trip momentarily seemed to break out of the Valium haze, and didn't leave Ash with any more stupid "boonies" comments. And why does Georgia keep acting like a loss doesn't count if it's not against a Dragon? She's not doing herself any favors with regard to self-improvement if she won't say, "Yeah, I lost, but I'll do better next time." Gary Oak would be appalled.

At least Bianca's fangirling got toned down a notch.

And is "Ste-phan" really so hard to pronounce? The ref did the worst job of it so far. Maybe he should just go with "Steve."

I do have to agree that Cilan's loss was no surprise--Sawk is just in another league. (See, it'd be nice if TPTB kept Stephan's competence and ditched the name gag.) The ending, though--Stephan/Sawk and Montgomery/Throh in the semis but not facing each other--did pretty much telegraph what the final match of the tourney would be. No way they'd let Poke-counterparts in the tourney and not let them battle.

Last edited:
As always Georgia makes an important point - why bring up Iris as a Dragon Master if she's not using a dragon type - why not instead get a character to point out Steel's weaknesses - it wasn't mentioned with the fire of Emboar against Bisharp and not with fighting and Excadrill. By not mentioning the type weaknesses, it makes both of their early losses look far more easy than they should have been - if the context to why Bisharp was damaged so much was mentioned it would have made the quick loss less strange for the storyline.

It's a strange case of a loss for an otherwise strong Pokemon being logically justified by type-disadvantage but not brought up in the dialogue at any point, which makes the Pokemon look far more powerful than they actually are. I know that's kinda the point for Throh, but in Emboar's case it probably would have been better to mention fire's advantage over Steel.

Perhaps Cilan has a future in a baseball anime - that was a good catch. Nice to see him cut off - if only that could happen far more often. Georgia and Burgundy were both brilliant as ever and with no stupid muscle scenes with Bianca, there's no real major negatives in this episode.

As always Georgia makes an important point - why bring up Iris as a Dragon Master if she's not using a dragon type - why not instead get a character to point out Steel's weaknesses - it wasn't mentioned with the fire of Emboar against Bisharp and not with fighting and Excadrill. By not mentioning the type weaknesses, it makes both of their early losses look far more easy than they should have been - if the context to why Bisharp was damaged so much was mentioned it would have made the quick loss less strange for the storyline.

It's a strange case of a loss for an otherwise strong Pokemon being logically justified by type-disadvantage but not brought up in the dialogue at any point, which makes the Pokemon look far more powerful than they actually are. I know that's kinda the point for Throh, but in Emboar's case it probably would have been better to mention fire's advantage over Steel.

I'm actually glad they didn't mention it. I already knew about it, as I'm sure almost everyone watching did. Sometimes I think they beat us over the head by repeatedly saying that X-type of Pokemon is weak against Y-type attacks, or that such-a-move has whatever effect.

On that note, I would like to see a little less commentary from the Peanut Gallery during each battle. It often accomplishes little more than slowing down the action, and wastes time that could be used on out-of-battle character development.

Did Freddy mistake the name Stephan for "Stupid" at one point? At least it sounded like it, I haven't checked CCs. Anywho as much as it sucks when Cilan loses, at least it was Stephan and his "Sawk" that defeated him. And Throh taking down Excadrill was one of my favorite parts. Georgia pretty much summed up my feelings about Iris when she called out her introduction as a "Dragon Master". Makes me realize how she's the most realistic character in the show. As she's the only one who notices how crazy Burgundy can sound at times :p

But the most epic defeat of the day goes to Bianca murdering Trip. Yeah, that'll teach you to underestimate your opponent. Can't say that I'm impressed with Trip's voice acting when he realized he was in trouble then defeated. Too monotone. I know Trip's pretty emotionless and boring anyway but his Japanese voice still knows how to add the surprise to his voice.

Still, great episode regardless.

This was another good and action-packed episode. Though I have to admit that I was a bit sceptical at first, because whenever an episode focuses so heavily on battles, I usually get worried if they'll give us far-fetched explanations, illogical strategies and cheap victories as they often did in the past. But I'm happy to say that none of these could be found in the episode, a fact that actually allowed you to enjoy the battles.

Some of you mentioned Georgia getting upset about Iris' introduction as a Dragon Master and I also think that she had a point here. But if you ask me, there was even a better and more fitting line by a different character, one that's not really famous for making appropriate statements, Burgundy. When Cilan started lecturing about Ash and Scraggy, she said "Who cares about advice from a loser?" and I do think she has a point here, too. Cilan often tends to be overconfident and too convinced of himself when in fact I think he's not that good a trainer. That's why I also liked it when he was cut off right in the middle of his "evaluation time"

And as for the battle, believe it or not, but I liked Bianca's battles most because they were exciting, well-planned and you could see that the writers really tried hard to come up with a decent, elaborated strategy, especially Emboar's last move to finish off Conkeldurr.

As I already said, a really good and entertaining continuation of the Don Tournament.

Iris is a little miguilded, thinking Emboar is at a major disadvantage to Bisharp

The dub has been really good through the Donamite/Clubsplosion, I esspecually liked the introductions Ash and everyone got when they walked onto the battle feild.

Georgia: "You act like he ruined your life" Lol

Ok- after Stephan won, I'm pretty sure I heard him say "f*ck yea" ...can someone check this? I listened a couple times, and that seems to be what he said.

Does anybody happen to know who voiced Betty, Ash's opponent in the second round?
Unless my ears are really bad, I think she sounded suspiciously like a very angry Cynthia. So could it be Emily Jenness?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom