• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP38: Piplup, Pansage, and a Meeting of the Times!

So, was Elesa's scene unchanged? It happened so fast that I really didn't have the time to examine it.

Anyway, good episode with solid dubbing. Piplup's trollface was just as humorous in the dub as it was in the original.

Dawn and Cilan's battle, while short, was fairly enjoyable to watch, and while some of the dub music did grate, I appreciate how they seem to be trying to keep the battle music intact.

Dawn sounded just she did back in the DP finale, which I wonder if that's a challenge for the VA?

I missed everything up the Who's That Pokémon. Normally when I miss part of a Pokémon episode I sulk and skip the whole thing becased damned if I'm gonna watch part of an episode all confused, but this was a reunion episode and I wanted to be around for the discussion on time. But now I see I needed to see the whole thing. What's this about an Elesa scene?

And why would it be a challenge for the VA? It's only been, like, 2 or so years since the Diamond & Pearl stuff hit its finale, right? Is that something else I missed? Her voice did have kind of a raspy quality to it.

All in all, I love these kinds of episodes and this one was no different. What is it about Unova that makes Water types into horndogs? I don't remember Piplup being this attracted to anyone except Pikachu during that time that scientist fired that ray that turned every Pokémon in the area into slobbering hypersexual cases. Oh! And that one episode where Piplup got dumped by uhhhh... what was it? I forget, some Pokémon old flame came back to stomp out Piplup's torch. Maybe it is a Water-type thing. Or maybe Meloetta is just that hot. And Piplup wins her favor. I'd say it's not fair, but Piplup's felt his share of heartbreak, he's a living lesson that you gotta live out your Gen getting your heart kicked around before the girls are into you. But he didn't need to trollface Oshawott for that, coming from where Piplup comes from, Piplup should be understanding of the pain. No Buneary, no Meloetta, all the choice tail is just walkin' around and he's pickin' up nothin'!

The Dawn vs. Cilan battle was nice to see, if not considerably short. I like how continuity was retained with Piplup's Peck where his beak gets super long. It didn't really end, really, it was called off. I hope we get to see the results of the Dawn vs. Iris battle, I wanna know how Dawn stacks up with a respectable amount of testing.

I don't wanna have to wait 8 days to re-watch this episode. :( I wanna know what I missed and right NOW!!!

EDIT: Oh, and nice return to the Diamond/Pearl battle theme. I know they did the same thing when May came back in Gen 4, but I still like it.

Why did I oversleep??? Why??? Sometimes it's better to just skip sleeping altogether if you know you're up too late to wake up on time,

Last edited:
Is it just me, or did Meloetta sound just a little different...?

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode. I hate when battles are interrupted but I enjoyed watching Dawn vs. Cilan. She looks like she got a lot stronger and more confident, with that Counter Shield and all.

The Piplup and Oshawott fiasco was just as hilarious in the dub, I have to agree. The Rocket parts annoyed me a little, because I guess it just annoys me when they reappear in "reunion" episodes like these, but I believe this is the first time we got to see their recording of Meloetta (whose dub voice I'm still trying to figure out...).

There was just ONE thing that ticked me off to no end...

Ash...WHY did you pronounce the very first pokemon you pokedex'd as a "ra-TA-ta"?! o_O

Or was it always pronounced that way...? I always thought it was "RA-ta-ta". Oh boy, I might be rusty with this... xD

What's this about an Elesa scene?
3lTIl.jpg
This, I assume. I don't think it's worth censoring, since it was from a quick flashback.

Is it just me, or did Meloetta sound just a little different...?

The Rocket parts annoyed me a little, because I guess it just annoys me when they reappear in "reunion" episodes like these, but I believe this is the first time we got to see their recording of Meloetta (whose dub voice I'm still trying to figure out...).

From what I've heard, Meloetta's voice is totally unchanged.

EDIT:

What's this about an Elesa scene?
3lTIl.jpg
This, I assume. I don't think it's worth censoring, since it was from a quick flashback.

*jawdrop*

I am... NEVER... oversleeping again...

+1 on mispronouncing Ratata - 4kids managed to stuff it up on occasion as well. The Pokerap had it wrong compared to how it was said during most of the episodes (and how it says its own name), but this episode's way of saying it wrong was different to the Pokerap's mispronunciation as well.

Other than that, nothing stood out, it was a well dubbed episode and I think probably the most well balanced of the return episodes for old characters - Misty and May were fairly quickly thrown into actually doing stuff, so a slower pace here and a bit of Pokemon interaction is good. Mamoswine in the background sniffing about when Meloetta was flying around invisibly was great. Though shouldn't Iris have considered the sight of one of the largest Ice types to be terrifying?

If I had to complain about something, Ash recognised instantly Dawn using a countershield but hasn't bothered to teach any of his current Pokemon how to do one, or even have Pikachu use it again?

The episode was okay. the dub was pretty good. I don't carry if they call ratata

I enjoyed this episode. I was happy to see Dawn back around and I just love her Piplup!

+1 on mispronouncing Ratata - 4kids managed to stuff it up on occasion as well. The Pokerap had it wrong compared to how it was said during most of the episodes (and how it says its own name), but this episode's way of saying it wrong was different to the Pokerap's mispronunciation as well.

Other than that, nothing stood out, it was a well dubbed episode and I think probably the most well balanced of the return episodes for old characters - Misty and May were fairly quickly thrown into actually doing stuff, so a slower pace here and a bit of Pokemon interaction is good. Mamoswine in the background sniffing about when Meloetta was flying around invisibly was great. Though shouldn't Iris have considered the sight of one of the largest Ice types to be terrifying?

If I had to complain about something, Ash recognised instantly Dawn using a countershield but hasn't bothered to teach any of his current Pokemon how to do one, or even have Pikachu use it again?

Just because Dawn has her own technic doesn't mean Ash has to use it. I think countershield works best in contest battles. But people seem to keep on complaining about Ash not using it. It's not like it's something he has to do.

Just because Dawn has her own technic doesn't mean Ash has to use it. I think countershield works best in contest battles. But people seem to keep on complaining about Ash not using it. It's not like it's something he has to do.
I think it's something that would greatly enhance his 'surprise' factor and a good way of realisticly turning around bad battle situations. Sure, he doesn't have to, but I can think of a lot of battles where it would have helped him.

The Unova equivalents all involve his Pokemon having specific moves, like Snivy's Attract, Boldore's Sandstorm and Leavanny's String Shot - which both limit his choices and in Attract's case is very repetitive (the other Pokemon don't appear enough to get repetitive).

A future episode forms the next part of my argument so...
It's particularly relevant against Trip - the countershield is a great tactic against speed - because it's hard to evade everywhere. If Pignite could have used a form of countershield he would at least not have been unable to land anything on Serperior.

Sure it gives Ash the chance to play it as a new tactic in the league, to prevent the situation in Sinnoh where Paul copied it, but that shouldn't have played a part in regards to some of his Gym battles.

Using the countershield would be a good way of showing that Ash might actually learn something out of his travel in other regions. Though he equally hasn't used the dodging stuff that he did in Hoenn since, so it's not like it's unique for Ash to have a good tactic in battle he only used in one region and then forgot about.

DAWN!!:D

Im loving the Piplup/Oshawott rivalry so far. Cilan oddly enough didn't really bother me in this episode like I thought he would, as far as his interactions with Dawn go. I actually thought seeing a Coordinator/Connoisseur mash up was a unique element for the show.

Also, seeing Ash point out pre-5th gen. Pokemon left and right once they arrived to Eastern Unova was refreshing.

Anyway loved the episode. So happy to see Dawn and Piplup back. Can't wait to see how Dawn fits in with the Unova gang and looking forward to the Piplup/Oshawott squabbles.

I think the reason is that Ash was the one who developed the Counter Shield and used it several times in Sinnoh, but not once in Unova. It's part of why a lot of Pokefans (myself included) say that Ash got reset at the start of BW. Otherwise, it would've stayed in Ash's playbook, along with the spinning dodge he learned from Dawn back in Oreburgh. Instead, it went unmentioned for about 2 full seasons before suddenly being remembered.

So, was Elesa's scene unchanged? It happened so fast that I really didn't have the time to examine it.

Not really, I mean considering the fact that much worst things have made it in the dub, I really did'nt expect it to be cut.

Is it just me or did Buneary sound different than before?

Pretty usual dub episode, nothing really special.

First of all, I'd like to say that it's simply great to see Dawn again because she is and will probably always be Ash's best companion. I also like reunion episodes mainly because of that spirit of nostalgia that comes with them and this episode was no different.

But,of course, by far the best thing about this episode was her, the wonderful Cynthia!
I got totally carried away during the episode because it was demonstrated once again how great Cynthia is. After all, have we ever heard of any other champion who has his own well-educated butler, a luxurious limousine, an impressive villa right at a picturesque beach and, last but not least, a gorgeous, breath-taking view over the ocean from the terrace? No, we haven't! (Alder obviously can't even afford a car).
Oh, Cynthia you're simply out of this world!!

My thoughts in short: The Cynthia Show goes on, everything is perfect!

Mainly watched this episode to see how well they dubbed these scenes.
[VIDEO=youtube;7b4goHbf0lU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b4goHbf0lU[/VIDEO]

Gotta love Piplup's trollface and Oshawott being jealous is hilarious. Feel sorry for him being friendzoned all the time. The whole episode was dubbed pretty well I liked it as a whole story-wise. Glad dawn has made a return, she's my favorite of Ash's female travelling partners. The only real problem I had with the dub, is TPCI's fail pronunciation of Rattata. I always though it was răt-uh-tah not rat-tah-tah. I thought Dawn's reaction to Cilan's Evaluation Time was very funny. Elesa's outfit in the flashback did caught my eye, but I don't she appeared long enough for them to worry about editing it. Unless some parents complain, we may not hear anything about it after this. Also Counter Shield came back! This episode brought back alot of nostalgia with older Pokemon making appearances such as Staryu and Rattata. So that's one thing that makes this episode good for me.

Just a note, I haven't seen all of the DP episodes , so I didn't know all of Dawn's Team and was thrown off when Ash said Quilava evolved.(I saw the episode she got Cyndaquil before) Had to look that up on Bulbapedia and learned it Evolved in a special episode that didn't air in the US. Might have to find that episode.

What I liked most about this episode was every Pokemon meeting each other, and loved how Iris was cradling Pachirisu while Dawn was cuddling Emolga. I also found it really cute how Quilava nuzzled up to Ash like that. I'd never thought how cute he was since Quilava in general usually have serious faces, but those big curious eyes when he first meets the others is just heartwarming.
Poor Oshawott just can't catch a break, can he? He's such a flip-flop, though. First he falls for Emolga, then passes on to Meloetta, then to Buneary, and then back to Meloetta. He's as bad as Brock in that regard...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom