• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP43: Battling Authority Once Again!

The yelling between Burgundy and Georgia ranged from being quite funny and well done, to making no sense. I'm sure this is due to the difficulty in translating some of these random bits of shouting, but they've really done a poor job of that in the last few episodes.

I'm worn out on complaining about Dragonite, but that was the bulk of this episode - they really put way too much time into that one battle, which made this episode feel really long. Otherwise, nice to see Stunfisk win and Crustle lose.

Is it just me who finds the cutaways to Trip's thoughts a really odd thing for the anime to do?

I never understood what the point of having Dawn compete in this tournament was if she was going to lose so fast. Most of her pokemon did nothing upon her return and they didn't have her accomplish anything at all.

Its funny how the writers glorified Dawn so much when DP was airing, but now that we're in a new saga she's just swept under a rug as if all that previous promotion/screentime never happened. And back when DP was airing people thought Dawn was being treated like the most important female ever. Oh well, so much for that. Out with the old, in with the new.

I never understood what the point of having Dawn compete in this tournament was if she was going to lose so fast. Most of her pokemon did nothing upon her return and they didn't have her accomplish anything at all.

Its funny how the writers glorified Dawn so much when DP was airing, but now that we're in a new saga she's just swept under a rug as if all that previous promotion/screentime never happened. And back when DP was airing people thought Dawn was being treated like the most important female ever. Oh well, so much for that. Out with the old, in with the new.

Iris got more glorification in the first 17 eps of BW2 than dawn did during all of DP so I don't know what you were walking about.

So for the first two battles in a row Trip uses the same strategy of having Serperior use Leer followed by Solarbeam, against Fire-types, no less, even though Solarbeam is a special attack while Leer reduces the opponent's physical defenses. O-kay...

I really love Georgia now for summarizing everything that's wrong with Iris advancing two whole battle tournament rounds with her disobedient Dragonite in one sentence.

The anime is perpetually ignorant of the differences between special and physical moves so I wouldn't dwell too much on it.

This is the first dub episode I've watched in a while. OHKOs everywhere, Haxonite breezes its way through a battle with Mamoswine, no wonder the WTJC was received as so lackluster. Hopefully watching Ash and Iris' battle next time will make me feel better.

So Dragonite screwed the rules again...I'm wondering why it chose to become Iris' Pokemon if it's not gonna listen to her. Especially since they mind-melded two eps ago, I'd expect them to already understand each other to a better degree. I almost wondered if Dragonite would be more tractable with Iris trying to match power for power, but apparently not.

I still think Georgia and Burgundy are annoying as hell, especially when they're in Whiny Mode. Though since some people find them amusing, I'm wondering if it's just me. Maybe it's because I'm sensitive to high-frequency noises, so the two grate on me more so than with others.

And now for Queen Cynthia's take on you-know-who...

You'd think that after seeing dragonite again not listening to Iris that Ash would remember. Back to when he went through this with charizard and could offer Iris some advice or something.

So Dragonite screwed the rules again...I'm wondering why it chose to become Iris' Pokemon if it's not gonna listen to her. Especially since they mind-melded two eps ago, I'd expect them to already understand each other to a better degree. I almost wondered if Dragonite would be more tractable with Iris trying to match power for power, but apparently not.

I still think Georgia and Burgundy are annoying as hell, especially when they're in Whiny Mode. Though since some people find them amusing, I'm wondering if it's just me. Maybe it's because I'm sensitive to high-frequency noises, so the two grate on me more so than with others.

And now for Queen Cynthia's take on you-know-who...

My personal theory is that dragonite is a tsudere who is in love in iris but is too proud to show it.

Burgundy and Georgia never cease to make me laugh! I would love to see Trip and cynthia battle soon.

I just wanted to remind everyone to please talk about this episode and this episode only. Talking about Dawn's overall role in the tournament - especially in reference to episodes that haven't even aired in the US yet - or about Iris' role in early BW should go to other threads.

When I see that shot of Dragonite and Krokorok facing each other, I can't help but think..."Kinda one-sided, ain't it?"

As for Burgundy, I feel like she would battle better after taking a much-needed chill pill.

All in all, a decent episode.

I like Cynthia helping out with Dragonite, I just wish it was longer and more meaningful. Standing there petting it on the head saying 'everything will be ok one day' felt like extremely lazy writing..like they wanted something more from that but sense it's a kids show they (the writers) just kind of threw their hands up and said 'screw it just have Cynthia pet it and say something cheesy.' It was cool for what it was I guess, just felt like a lot of wasted potential.

Pretty much the same thing for Dawn and Iris toward the end. Except this was a little better. Dawn and Iris' dialogue was better, especially with Dawn mentioning her struggles with Mamoswine. Yay for Dawn:)

Georgia and Burgundy were great lol

Dawn deserved to win that battle. That's a dead argument so i'll leave it at that. Felt like Dawn got robbed in this battle.

Burgundy: So, Iris managed to win after all.
Georgia: You've got it all wrong, Burgundy. Iris didn't win, Dragonite did.

And that's what I like about you the most, Georgia.

Regardless, poor Iris. It was kind of sad to see her stuck in this crappy situation.
More or less, Iris isn't the real problem here, that Dragonite is... And its really annoying attitude. :|

1) I really like how we only saw the final few seconds of Cilan's battle with Horatio, and the announcer says "Cilan's and Stunfisk's teamwork was something to see!"

2) When are Burgundy and Georgia just going to shut up and kiss?

3) Trip was so kind to Cynthia to her face, it was cute. And that inner monologue and sinister face he pulled at the end makes me think he would make a great serial killer one day. His battling style would work better in that profession than as a Pokemon Trainer.

4) I'm really starting to think that Dragonite is a masochist. Being confident in your abilities is one thing. Being strong is another thing. But this is obviously something Dragonite enjoys.

Last edited:
Trip: This battle is going to be a one-sided snoozefest.

Me: Dude, that describes ALL the battles in this arc :-|

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom