• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 E19: The Fires of a Red-Hot Reunion!

My favorite episode so far.

So there’s a Kanto Festival in Unova? Nice. Seeing Tracey again was awesome; too bad he didn’t have any lines though. The little Charmander’s performance was sooooo cute.

The reanimated flashbacks of the Kanto episodes were great. Seeing Misty and Brock and them actually have lines was great. Hearing Ash and Brock with their new voices in the flashbacks felt kind of out of place, but I wasn’t that bothered by it. I expected it anyway. But Misty’s voice sounded way off. I know she didn’t sound like that in the Mirage Master special. Damian and Koga sounded better.

A few of the differences between the new scenes and the originals kind of bugged me though. Like Charmander jumping up to Ash’s Poké Ball or finishing off the Koga battle with Flamethrower instead of Fire Spin. But it really wasn’t that big a deal.

Charizard’s return was epic. Though I wonder why Cilan didn’t call out his Pokemon to meet Charizard. Anyway the battle between Charizard and Dragonite was awesome. And FINALLY Charizard uses a flying-type move. I was initially disappointed with Charizard not having his signature Seismic Toss, but I guess we saw it enough in the flashbacks. Too bad N had to interrupt the battle through.

Iris thinking Charizard was a dragon-type was hilarious. However, her reasons for it were pretty lame imo. (For the dub at least, I don’t know what she said in Japan.) It knew a dragon-type move? Lots of non-dragon-types can learn dragon-type moves. Like Ash’s Krookodile and Trip’s Serperior. It was flying around? Seriously? That sounds like a FLYING-type to me. But whatever. After all it was nice to see Ash correct her for once.

Anyway, a Kanto festival + Flashbacks of orginal series + Charizard coming back and battling Dragonite like a boss = 10/10

YAYYY CHARIZARD!!!!!

Normally I hate clip shows, but this ep was different for two reasons:

1. It was only half-clip show.
2. The clips were all about my favorite of Ash's Pokémon.

Admittedly, I'm of mixed feelings about the reanimation/redubbing of the old scenes. I can understand why they did it, but it seemed weird somehow.

Iris is still calling Ash a kid, but at least other characters are pointing out her own immaturity. Otherwise I'd have to put an axe through my TV when she uses that stupid line.

Charizard vs. Dragonite! We haven't seen anything like that since the Orange Islands! That was wayyyy cool (though I do miss Seismic Toss. Damn the four-move limit!), and a good way to show how strong Charizard has become. (And then N stepped in and ended it. Damn you!)

Iris does bring up a good point: why the [EFF!] isn't Charizard a Dragon-type? He's about as dragonish as they come.

And he's sticking around! We've needed this badly. His last appearance was wayyyy back at the end of Battle Frontier, and he lost that battle because Ash had a bout of tactical stupidity. I can't wait to see more of him in action.

I loved how Iris was Ash's bi**h this episode!

At the start of the episode I did not find her calling Ash a little kid about him running off to enjoy the festival that annoying because she said it in a kind way along with Cilan also commenting on her behaving in a similar manner and well I did find that tolerable because he's been away from Kanto for awhile now and its a festival celebrating his home region, I haven't been to a fair in about 7 years and I'm 21 if I went to one now I'd probably feel that kid inside of me come out again myself.

Almost pissed myself when I heard Oak mention Swellow and Staraptor xD

Misty's voice...eh, but it was great to see her and Brock again even if it was a flashback! Primeape!!

Loved Koga's new design!

Let me just say during ALL of the flashbacks I was almost in tears because THIS was the Pokemon show I grew up on!

Just kind of cringed on some of the changed dialogue and little things like Flamethrower being used to beat Golbat when it was actually Fire Spin :p but otherwise it was a fun ride from start to finish on the flashbacks :D

I LOVED the Charmeleon design I just found it very sleek and cool! Interesting to see a Unova Pokemon being sent to Oak's lab for a change.

Wonder how long it took Charizard to get from Johto to Oak's lab and it seemed to be in less than a day right?

Not to fond of Charizard's moveset if you ask me it is "de-powered" in a sense kind of like Cynthia's Garchomp BUT Charizard had a way of making "weaker" moves like Wing Attack and Slash look badass not to mention that Dragon Tail!! I loved how its flame changed blue/green as well nice touch!

*Too bad it didn't have Wing Attack against Harrison's Blaziken...just saying*

That battle was great!

Seeing Ash actually knowing stuff Iris didn't was refreshing. Loved Dragonite's face when she said she thought Charizard was a Dragon-type! Then Ash showing her the Pokedex entry was golden!!!!

Also enjoyed Cilan pointing out Excadrill and Dragonite gave her trouble just like Charizard did!

I am a little bummed that this was the first time Ash told these 2 about any of his past adventures. Its like he doesn't even bring up this stuff after being with Iris and Cilan for this long...

Too bad no one said that he should have used Charizard in the Unova League, just saying it would have wrecked Cameron's dumbass!

Iris saying let's show them that this is Unova was a dumb line considering she was using a KANTO Pokemon...

Then her saying Dragonite was special after using Dragon Rush haha Charizard emerging like a boss and that ROAR was amazing!!! It was refreshing seeing Ash act like his OLD self being confident and skilled in battle I don't know about you but I loved it!

I will say that animation of Dragon Rush "eating" Charizard was pretty well done and the collision of attacks creating such big clouds of smoke is a reflection of just how powerful those two are.

Ok, after Cynthia stopped Dawn and Ash's battle; Quilava vs. Pikachu
And N stopping Iris and Ash; Dragonite vs. Charizard all for some heart to heart bullshit I've officially had it with them! We want to see the battle FINISHED to see who is better. Pikachu vs. Quilava we really see that Pikachu's moveset suffered after losing Volt Tackle and both of them seemed winded before we could see a victor. In this battle, Dragon Tail seemed to take its toll which is interesting how Wing Attack cancelled out a super effective Thunderpunch no problem while one super effective move from Charizard (non-STAB on his part) did considerable damage to Dragonite, just to show a level and skill difference.

Overall, a great episode! To be honest this was my first time watching an episode from this "N Saga" and I gotta say I like his voice. I am a bit tired of Cilan throwing in some over the top flavor or relationship Pokemon/trainer speech, just takes up time and with N doing the same...well at least he isn't alone I guess :/

I do wish Richie and Gary were shown in the flashbacks :p

That little Charmander was so cute using Ember like that!

Another cute scene was Pikachu dipping its hand/paw in Ash's orange soda glass and licking it xD

Epic bro fist between Ash and Charizard :D makes me tear up just thinking about it....

And seeing Ash in his old outfits was just AMAZING!

Last edited:
This episode is probably my favorite Best Wishes one, and I feel like the dub did a pretty good job here! I noticed that some music that played in the Japanese version of the episode was missing, and some of the lines were changed up as well. (For example, in the dub, Iris and Ash asked Dragonite and Charizard what they thought about N's speech, while in the raw, they were just asking if they were "satisfied".) I also understand why the flashbacks used the newer voices, but I don't think it would've been that hard to re-sample voice clips from the original episodes instead. Still, I think the newer actors managed to get the same tone of the original voices across, and in the end, I think that's all that matters. It's not like "new voices = ruined childhood" or anything.

Also, Misty's voice didn't really sound like Rachael Lillis at all, and I couldn't tell if Michele Knotz got her role from The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon back or not. Does anyone know who voiced Misty in this episode?

The first half of this episode felt more like an ad for the Original Series but I did like the Charizard vs Dragonite battle even if Charizard should have been given better moves.

This episode is probably my favorite Best Wishes one, and I feel like the dub did a pretty good job here! I noticed that some music that played in the Japanese version of the episode was missing, and some of the lines were changed up as well. (For example, in the dub, Iris and Ash asked Dragonite and Charizard what they thought about N's speech, while in the raw, they were just asking if they were "satisfied".) I also understand why the flashbacks used the newer voices, but I don't think it would've been that hard to re-sample voice clips from the original episodes instead. Still, I think the newer actors managed to get the same tone of the original voices across, and in the end, I think that's all that matters. It's not like "new voices = ruined childhood" or anything.

Also, Misty's voice didn't really sound like Rachael Lillis at all, and I couldn't tell if Michele Knotz got her role from The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon back or not. Does anyone know who voiced Misty in this episode?

I wouldn't doubt a few staff members from the English dub wanted to re-sample the old voices, but there also lies the possible legality issues that comes from doing that.

For those of you dub watchers who want to know (be spoiled) what Charizard will do of significance over the next couple of months...
Absolutely nothing

A pretty ok episode. The flashbacks were great despite all the animation errors. :ksmile: The correction of some of those errors was nice to see.

As someone pointed out in the original review thread, there was no follow-up to the Magikarp Salesman at all. You'd think N would go livid seeing someone sell Pokémon.

I also found it pretty odd that just seeing a pre-evolution of one of his Pokémon would make Ash get so nostalgic, especially when there are so many times that this could have happened before [e.g. the Johto Festival in DP] but I guess you can handwave it with how close Ash and Charizard are. I also didn't see the need for N and Cilan to extrapolate on how close Ash and Charizard are when that's pretty obvious to anybody watching just from the flashbacks and seeing them interact, but whatever.

Charizard losing Seismic Toss really blows. Did the writers think Slash was worth losing it? 2 new attacks aren't enough? The only old move Charizard has left is the ultra-generic Flamethrower. What really would've been nice would be if Dragon Tail had its game effect and Dragonite was suddenly replaced with Emolga or something, and then Charizard just crushes it.

On the topic of the flashback to the Indigo League, Bulbapedia notes that this is the first time that a league flashback isn't of the most recent one. LOL, who would want to remember the Unova League?

Last edited:
I loved this episode! An episode of massive fanservice in an arc all about fanservice. The writers did a good job reintroducing Charizard and showing Ash's relationship with him. The flashbacks were a big heap of buttercream icing on the cake. It was nice to see Oak for a good period of time too.

OMG Tracey Sketchit.

The Kanto Festival didn't last as long as expected. It kind of got rushed after the Charmander got hurt.

Poor Koga didn't get to show up in BW2, but he got into an anime flashback! I was happy to see the battles against Blaine's and Gary's Pokémon too.

Then I legitimately cheered when they showed the Articuno battle!!!

Iris was awesome in this episode. Her enthusiasm for the events going on was great. I LOLed massively when she found out that Charizard wasn't Dragon (I loved N's reaction to that). Her reaction to one of Cilan's speeches was priceless (when the background color changed)

Cilan was meh here, didn't do much outside of his typical puns.

N was great most of the time. I did think he was a buzzkill at the end of the battle; The battle felt too short too. He could really tell how close Ash and Charizard were when he had never seen them together before.

Charizard looks like he has retractable Wolverine claws when he uses Slash. And I still can't get over how Wing Attack looks like Steel Wing. He's pretty strong if he took a Thunderpunch and Dragon Rush and still knocked Dragonite out of the sky.

Of course, I loved seeing Misty and Brock again! Actually, this weekend, I'm at AnimeNEXT in NJ and saw Bill Rogers and Michele Knotz today. Michele said she did reprise Misty, and both of them said they enjoyed playing those two characters again! (Bill: "Did any of you watch Pokémon this morning? Brock was on TV again!")

Overall, this episode lived up to much of its hype, and was handled well, even though the festival and battle felt a bit short. It pulled many of my heartstrings as a Pokémon fan, with great characters and scenes from the classics as well as the newer gens!

I wouldn't doubt a few staff members from the English dub wanted to re-sample the old voices, but there also lies the possible legality issues that comes from doing that.

There is actually, and when they did that (battle frontier episode). They got into some controversy,

Although I was not Happy with this, I would rather they re-record lines than just use the old VA's voice without permission (especially when the voice samples have prob not been up to par with modern audio standards or something).

Last edited:
I have nothing to say, ATM. Truthfully, I'm avoiding this dub episode, solely because I don't like the recast voices being in scenes where the original voice actors were. I'd really like to keep my fond memories of these scenes, so that's all I have to say for now. Maybe it's good, but to me, it just won't feel right. The current voices won't ruin the scenes for me, but they will put a huge damper on things, so I'm going to have to pass on this dub episode. I just can't imagine Kanto-Hoenn Ash or Brock without Veronica Taylor or Eric Stuart. Similarly, I can't imagine Kanto-Hoenn Misty without Rachael Lillis voicing her. They left a huge impression on me, so I just can't imagine the older episodes without them.

All I can say is that, for me, I think it's best I avoid this one. It just won't feel right at all. XD. :sweatlol:

Overall Score: N/A (Skipped)

I have nothing to say, ATM. Truthfully, I'm avoiding this dub episode, solely because I don't like the recast voices being in scenes where the original voice actors were. I'd really like to keep my fond memories of these scenes, so that's all I have to say for now. Maybe it's good, but to me, it just won't feel right. The current voices won't ruin the scenes for me, but they will put a huge damper on things, so I'm going to have to pass on this dub episode. I just can't imagine Kanto-Hoenn Ash or Brock without Veronica Taylor or Eric Stuart. Similarly, I can't imagine Kanto-Hoenn Misty without Rachael Lillis voicing her. They left a huge impression on me, so I just can't imagine the older episodes without them.

All I can say is that, for me, I think it's best I avoid this one. It just won't feel right at all. XD. :sweatlol:

I'll have to agree, Although I'm still watching the episode I'll just mute the parts where brock and misty talk tho.

I'll have to agree, Although I'm still watching the episode I'll just mute the parts where brock and misty talk tho.

Nice! I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure it's a good dub episode, but it'll just feel so foreign for me, so I'll be out-of-place on this one. rofl. :)

I thought it was funny and weird that Tom The Hermit Crab Wayland Voiced the Magikarp Salesman ant this was just a good Episode because this the one that aired on My Birthday and this definitely Nominated for Best picture Episode Of The Season.

Why are the color corrections listed under Dub Edits? For all we know, these were corrected in Japan and will be sued in future airings. TPCi doesn't really do paint edits so I can't see them doing this.

I thought it was funny and weird that Tom The Hermit Crab Wayland Voiced the Magikarp Salesman ant this was just a good Episode because this the one that aired on My Birthday and this definitely Nominated for Best picture Episode Of The Season.

Does Tom sound better than Bill Rogers did as the Magikarp Salesman in DP, or Eric Stuart did in Chronicles? Just curious.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom