• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 E32: The Pirates of Decolore!

Nymphia

Reaction score
The Pirates of Decolore!

There’s a crisis on the high seas when a group of Pokémon attempt to board our heroes’ ship and sneak away with their food. The purloining Pokémon won’t get far with Officer Jenny (as well as Ash and friends) hot on their tails. Of course, the always hungry Team Rocket villains are keen to get their hands on a large store of tasty food, too...

Wrong opening again :nono:, I hope that next time they do this they air the XY opening to be more interesting.

And the episode has aired, believe it or not.

Last edited:
Re: S16 E32 "THe Pirates of Decolore

Okay, so the Pokemon are playing ball on the boat. Then, the pirate gang of Croconaw and friends shows up. And oh great, Team Rocket is here. And they’re stealing food. Ugh. Just why? Anyway, Croconaw’s gang steals the food Team Rocket was stealing and start to escpae.

So of course Oshawott wants to come out to try to do something, until he finds out that he’s outnumbered. Ok so Oshawott can pull himself back into his Pokeball? Wish he’d done that more often. So Charizard is sent to follow the pirates.

The gang finds Croconaw and friends. Cilan: “I don’t get it. Pokemon and people should get along.” Seriously Cilan. As if you have never seen wild Pokemon causing mischief against people before. So the pirates are acting out because they’ve been abandoned by their trainers. Normally I’d say that this is so clichéd, but the flashbacks explaining reasons those trainers had for getting rid of their pokemon were so ridiculous that I found them hilarious.

Pignite of course tells them that not all people are bad. Snivy on the other hand can’t be bothered with weak trainers. This is why I like Snivy. “Sounds like something happened in Snivy’s past too?” Really Iris? Did you forget? Haven’t we already been through this twice before. Then again, it is rarely ever brought up. Whatever, moving on.

Skipping the lame battle and Team Rocket blasting off, 3 Darumaka and on a raft in the middle of the ocean. What the hell? That’s it. I’m done.

Anyway, Officer Jenny offers to let the pirates join her coastal guard group, or something like that, and they accept. This episode was okay for the most part, mainly the beginning through the middle. The ending…not so much. 5/10.

Guess I'll start by doing my thing...

We've seen pirates in Pokémon back in the Orange Islands, but making the Pokémon themselves the pirates was a bit of a surprise. From the way they were stealing food, I thought it was like "Hour of the Houndour," where they were trying to help an injured friend. Instead, they were a redux of the Squirtle Squad. Of course, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtles were more mischievous than malicious.

It was nice at first to see Charizard get off the sidelines, but all he did was play Pidgeotto. Somehow I started thinking of Marvin the Paranoid Android: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge." I'd still like to see more situations that call for Charizard to kick some major butt. And just outta curiosity, how long has it been since anyone's been seen flying on their Pokémon?

At first I was confused by the pirates doing nothing when Oshawott cruised in, and I thought that they were gonna just stand there and let Oshy start attacking them. Then when Oshy realized he was outnumbered, I realized that the pirates' reaction was more along the lines of "Are you kidding me?"

Did Jenny sound flat to anyone else? And if the pirates were really causing so much trouble, everyone else should've been on their guard better.

Just outta curiosity--what was with the weird angles during the flashbacks?

loved the episode but what was with the episode n opening on this episode

I give this Episode a 7.2 It was Ok and and a Little Entertaining but Carter Cathcart again, just is Not doing a Great Job I think and I did not like him as the Croconaw, he just was Not Good I Think.
One Funny thing was in a FlashBack when the Pirates stole the Boat and the Fisherman Voiced by Marc Thompson and Bill Rogers was Funny I thought at Least.

So they’re starting out with a game…and Axew, wonder how it’s going to go wrong. Pleeeassse..don’t let Axew get lost….

Also shocked to see Snivy here. Like really, when was the last time we saw her?

So they’re pirates…Azumarill’s a pirate?

DAMN IT! TEAM ROCKET’S HERE! I was really hoping they wouldn't be. And, probably, for no good reason. This is really becoming a nuisance. If they're going to do stupid things again, at least give them the stupid personalities back. If they're going to put on the serious act and do stupid things, it makes them look that much more incompetent.

Iris is worried about Pirates? What a kid.

See, this is what I don’t like. Team Rocket’ll still talk like they’re being serious, and then do s**t like this; like get their asses handed to them by wild Pokémon without even putting up a fight. Back in early BW, they could have quickly and easily sent out Woobat or Yamask to defend themselves. But now they just stand and get smacked around. If they wanted to actually be serious, they could have.

And unlike Professor Oak, these pirates have the Vullaby Ducklett, a getaway; they’re prepared!

Its times like Oshawott going after the pirates that make me remember when Oshawott was a badass in the second episode. -_- It would have been cool if he’d like thrown his Scalchop at the pirates and made their little raft explode or something, but, as we all know, Oshawott’s bravery has been reduced to comic relief for a while now. It was pretty close to being kind of cool, so I’ll give them that.

So this is what my man Charizard has been reduced to? Unfezant duty?

Oh, and now Meowth’s lost for the 2nd (technically 3rd), time this DA! They’re already repeating themselves?

WOAH! Did Iris just defend a Pokémon’s bad behaviors that aren’t Dragons for once?! I never thought I’d see the day.

Aww, Pikachu Charades! It’s been so long!~ He’s such a cute Azumarill~

“Team Rocket already rules the world!” – Meowth. Oh really? That’s why they beat you guys up so easily, right?

Wow, the pirates’ trainers were real asses! Why didn’t that guy like Ducklett anyway? And the guy just gave up Octillery because he didn’t know what Remoraid evolved into? How stupid is that? Plus, am I the only one who found all those camera angles hilarious? I mean, those, and the jackass trainers, just made it a bit harder for me to take the scene seriously and feel sympathetic.

Okay, now it all makes sense. So this is why Snivy suddenly made a comeback. I was wondering why they were paying attention to her all out of the blue. Plus, what kind of officer is this Jenny? Basically, they battled to see if the pirates would stop stealing. So what if they’d have lost? The pirates would just keep stealing with no consequences? Jenny, an officer, really found that bet to be okay?

And Team Rocket was, again, useless. But we already kind of guessed that. Giving the motto with five minutes of episode left is pretty much a giveaway that the Trio won’t be of any significance. Actually, their lame food stealing in the beginning of the episode made that clear enough on its own.

….did anyone understand that random rescue at the end? I mean, yes, obviously we had to show that the pirates are gonna be good guys now…but…it just seemed way too forced to me.

The pirates just have to apologize for stealing, but not return anything. Excellent policing here.

Alright, well, it wasn't that original, which made the episode lose my interest. I’m getting really tired of Oshawott appearing so repetitively and Team Rocket appearing repetitively when they DON’T NEED TO BE HERE BECAUSE THEY’RE DOING NOTHING! All of this just brings the episode down. I was shocked to see Snivy and Pignite in the beginning, and thought they’d be getting some focus for once, but only served to put their two cents in about being abandoned at the end of the episode. Not to mention how this group just seems to have the worst memory regarding plot points (Iris, in this instance). Even Oshawott’s appearance served more use. So, I’ll give it a 1/10.

Carter Cathcart as James got Worse in just a Week I Think, and MY GOD HE WAS TERRIBLE.
Ducklett Sounds Weird these days but it was Funny in this Episode I Think.

Also MY GOD Lipicka Shaw is just terrible as Officer Jenny I Think.

This episode bored me to tears. I'm just waiting for Da to end honestly or at least get to the episodes with Generation VI references.

Dat Episode N opening. I didn't really see any problem with Jenny's voice. I kinda liked it. I dunno, seemed like a normal person speaking to me. Anyway, seeing Pignite and Snivy battling together reminds me how dumb it is that only Pignite learned its respective Pledge move. Also, the scene at the end with the Darumaka was random as hell. Couldn't there have been some better way to provide a resolution for the pirates? Speaking of the pirates, poor Ducklett, getting abandoned for smiling too much. I thought this episode was decent, but not all that interesting.

Re: S16 E32 "The Pirates of Decolore

So, here goes my opinionated (because it's just MY opinion, and NOT fact) review for today's dub episode (Key: + means good, - means bad):

Plot: Average. Could be worse, could be better. Ash and co. help out Pokemon abandoned by trainers with the help of Officer Jenny, and Team Rocket even pitches in, then double cross the twerps and end up losing anyway.

EDIT: Okay, you know what, I actually like the plot of this one: it was good. It's pretty sweet in a way. I change my opinion of it from average to good. (7/10 --> 8/10)

- Wrong opening. Thumbs down, TPCi, thumbs down. (-1)

- Okay, first off, Croconaw and Octillery's voices sounded much better in the 4Kids dub. I'm sorry, but they sounded a lot...what's the way to say it...cuter and more realistic to me? (-2)

- Next, Porter's voice actor is much better here than his last 4 or so episodes. I'm happy with his improvement. Still, his acting remains a bit raw/artificial, but at least he's finally getting better. I can hear actual effort from this actor towards trying to emote better this episode from him. It's working: he just needs to try a bit harder, but he's getting better. (+1)

- What's up with Jessie and her fetish for the word "Primo" as well? Carter Cathcart, please, she doesn't need to say that word ALL the time now. (-1)

- Good job Azumarill, knock Team Rocket off the boat the ONE time I haven't been annoyed with them in the Da! portion of BW. Just great. (N/A, because that's the writers' fault, not the dubbers)

- So getting knocked off the boat, Carter Cathcart is starting to get super nasally in his delivery as James, after he sounded really good at the beginning of the episode. Michele Knotz, on the other hand, is sounding better and less high-pitched as Jessie where I'm at right now in the episode, where they're on top of the Magikarp Submarine holding onto it than she did at the beginning of the episode. (N/A, because one actor sounds better here to me, and one actor sounds worse here to me)

- Okay, Officer Jenny's voice...what can I say? The voice itself is fine, and it sounds perfectly normal and fitting. Here's my problem: the performance itself is bad from the actor in the acting aspect. The voice actor is so monotone and bland...it's like she's practically speaking like this: umI'mjustreadingoffmylinesdon'tmindmeI'mtakingapolicereport. It's actually not a bad voice, really, it's quite fine...but the acting behind the voice is so bad. Please learn how to emote, whoever's voicing Jenny now. It doesn't sound like Emily Bauer still plays Unova Jenny...if it is Lipica Shah, you need to work on your delivery as Jenny.

Example 1: "Thankyou" ...emotion, current Officer Jenny voice actor, emotion. Cilan just thanked you. You think you could be just a bit more grateful for his polite gesture and return it without sounding like a prick? Jeez. Okay, she sounds kinda hot, but not the point I'm making here. xD.

Example 2: "Ohno!" Seriously, those Pokemon could get injured, and you don't sound the LEAST bit concerned. My god, does Jenny's current voice actor need to work on her ACTING. Reminds me of how Sarah Natochenny was back in "Sweet Baby James!" when she said "Excuseme. CanIhavesomewaterformy Pokemon?" Seriously, Officer Jenny just sounds like such a prick to me to now. (-1)

- Whoever voiced those fishermen saying, "Hey you, get back here!" your voice itself is just awful in this scene. My ears actually hurt listening to whoever that actor or set of actors that were speaking. I mean, that was just painful. (-1)

- Ducklett sounds better than before. Great! (+1)

- "Those leeching lugs won't get away with this"...really, Carter Cathcart, really? That kind of dialogue/script writing is just not appropriate for Meowth. You know that, I know that...seriously, man, why? I don't get it. "Dig it!" No, I won't dig it. (-1)

- "Po-kee-mon"...Carter Cathcart, please, 250+ episodes of the TPCi dub, and you still don't get it? I swear, between his Meowth and Sarah Natochenny's Ash still saying "Polka-mon" after all this time, I've frankly felt insulted at times. See, it was excusable in the first 20 or so episodes of the 4Kids dub because, you know, they were trying to come up with the pronounciation of the name for the franchise. It wasn't excusable in TPCi's case from the start because the pronounciation name of the franchise was already decided upon years before they took things in-house, and if some of the actors still can't pronounce it correctly, then it's just plain silly and lazy on their part. (-1)

- "No way. How could you evolve into Azumarill. I liked you as a cute Marill. I don't want you anymore. Bye bye!" Sounds like that stereotypical stuck up popular girl who thinks she's all that or the hottest stuff around in school or something. What a self-absorbed snobbish girl. I say, good riddance to bad rubbish, Azumarill. You deserve better than a bit*h (pardon my language) like her. (N/A, just my thoughts on something in the episode)

- Ash, Jessie, James, and Meowth were all pretty average today. Not bad, but not good, either. Sarah always seems to start off surprisingly good as Ash nowadays in BW, but loses it and reverts back to the deeper voice she used in early-mid DP later on. Jessie is the opposite: she starts off high-pitched and irritating, but then gets better and a bit deeper/more refined in her delivery. James started off very good today: I was shocked how close he sounded to Eric Stuart's version at first, but then he got super nasally again, and it seems the only real problem I have with Carter Cathcart as James is how nasally he is. You can here that nasally tone very well when he's been tossed off the boat onto the Magikarp Submarine with Jessie. Meowth started off good (O_O), but got worse as the episode progressed in that he started getting gruffer/more gristly again, and was a bit better/okay at the end of the episode. Seems like all four characters' current actors finally have the right voices for their characters, but they are too inconsistent with their performances. They're always off and on at times. Still, this is better than how they do usually, so I'm okay with them today. Cilan sounded good as always, and Iris was a lot less mellow and high pitched than usual, which was great! (+3 for average, but solid and passable, work from the VAs today-- much better than they've been in a while today)

Plot Score: 8/10
Dub Score: 7/10 (Average)

Last edited:

Can we talk more about the episode itself and not turn this in to a debate about the voices, please? There's MUCH more to episodes than that.

Can we talk more about the episode itself and not turn this in to a debate about the voices, please? There's MUCH more to episodes than that.

Oh, I know. I'm reviewing the dub of the episode, hence the voices, the dialogue, the intros, the characters, etc. The voices are just one aspect of my review of the dub...I mean, there's not much to talk about in the edits department these days.

Like I said, the plot of the episode itself was good, and it was nice to see how Ash and co. were helping out some Pokemon abandoned by trainers, and how Officer Jenny allowed the abandoned Pokemon to work with her at the end of the episode. I did also like how Snivy said something along the lines of it refusing to work with weak trainers, when Meowth translated what it was saying, and then Ash was a bit startled by that. XD.

The Plot was Not Bad I will Admit that and I did Like Snivy in this Episode, She was a BadAss I Think and Ducklett I Found Funny I Think.
It was a Good Episode.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Plot was Not Bad I will Admit that and I did Like Snivy in this Episode, She was a BadAss I Think and Ducklett I Found Funny I Think.
It was a Good Episode.

Yeah, I really liked what Snivy said when Meowth translated her speech by saying that "Snivy's got zero patience for loser trainers," and Ash was like "Easy now." ROFL.

This a Joke but if these Guys Were Real Pirates where is the Chatot who is a Parrot, Like I said Joke but they need a Parrot not a Duck just saying. LOL About Octillery Evolving from a Fish into an Octopus and I Agree but U Do not need to diss about it.

Again The Plot was Good and the Pirates were Ok.

This episode had my favorite ムサシ達-expression-when-blasting-off yet:

jaj4he.png

Don't ask... I enjoyed it.

The episode was great overall!

Team Gaara said:
I’m getting really tired of Oshawott appearing so repetitively and Team Rocket appearing repetitively when they DON’T NEED TO BE HERE BECAUSE THEY’RE DOING NOTHING!

Funny how Iris and Cilan almost never get called out for the very same thing.

Team Gaara said:
I’m getting really tired of Oshawott appearing so repetitively and Team Rocket appearing repetitively when they DON’T NEED TO BE HERE BECAUSE THEY’RE DOING NOTHING!

They are the traveling companions. I doubt the writers have any choice in including them until the series finale.

Team Gaara said:

But they actually do things. Musashi-tachi on the other hand... they are in every DA episode just to show their beautiful faces :(

Last edited:

The main reason why I enjoy is episode even dubbed is because of Croconaw. That thing's been my favorite ever since 2003.
I'm so damn glad that Croconaw didn't sound too rough (dubbers usually make these kind of Pokémon sound really rough). At first it sounded little silly to me, but then I simply loved that voice. Much better than earlier dub voices for Croconaw.
Other pirates got good voices as well. Specially Octillery.
Speaking of the pirates, their trainers were quite dicks. Abandoning their Pokémon for such a stupid reasons like "not as cute as before" or just losing a battle. Though, Ducklett's flashback made me smile. :D

Lolwut with using N opening during Decolore arc.

Charizard hiding in that tree: why didn't its flame put that tree on fire? XD

Is it just me or did they kept really decent amount of original BGM in this episode?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom