• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP05: Team Eevee and the Pokémon Rescue Squad!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
Team Eevee and the Pokémon Rescue Squad!

Official Pokémon Site said:
A dangerous situation turns into an opportunity for adventure when Ash and Iris are saved from a landslide by a rescuer named Virgil, along with his team of Eevee and several of its evolutions! But the problems are just beginning when a distress call comes in from a nearby dam. Now it’s our heroes’ turn to do a good deed for a group of troubled Cryogonal!

Please put spoilers of future episodes in spoiler tags: [noparse][/noparse]. Thank you!

Did anyone else pick up kind of a "Thunderbirds" vibe coming from this episode? Or was it just me? :spin:

Did anyone else pick up kind of a "Thunderbirds" vibe coming from this episode? Or was it just me?

Darn it, you beat me, I had the same thought months ago when the Japanese name was known but I forgot to post my thoughts on that. :embarass:

Anyway, I'm glad they did keep Virgil's original name, I bet they felt the same thing with the whole Team Eevee thing and with the naming of Virgil, it sometimes makes me think that the writers were paying homage to "Thunderbirds" since it became widely popular around the world, especially during the early 1990's when the show was given its second run.

EDIT: Now if only Davey had his name changed to Scott and the father was called Jeff and the call sign "Rodger" was changed to "F.A.B" in the dub, also nice choice of the green colour used for Virgil's craft "Rescue 2". :-D

Last edited:
Back in BW004, when Don George said he would have loved have his hands on the first Umbreon in the Unova Region? I guess we're just supposed to ignore that comment?

Virgil had the perfect voice, as did his family. The way he spoke to his Eevee was really neat, and now that I understand what Virgil is talking about, he's much more interesting than I originally thought. It was a really good episode, and one of the better dub episodes.

Last edited:
Now we know about Sylveon, the heavy emphasis on Eevee being a girl is quite interesting, considering a female only evolution is probably one of the strongest contenders for its typing. It's an extremely far reaching amount of foresight for the anime though to drop something like that into the episodes, because even if that ends up being true, how many people are going to remember that hint in the episode?

I love everything about that Eevee - keeping its Japanese voice and the abundant levels of cute that its scenes in this episode were - her use of Helping Hand especially. It was a little bit over the top scanning 6 Pokemon in a row, and those descriptions seemed like a really tight fit - I'm surprised also that the mention of Eevee's choice of evolution didn't result in more reflection from either Cilan or Ash - both with Pokemon who could choose to evolve at any point. I do wonder what advice Cilan would have given to Virgil on Eevee.

I was hoping the episode would clarify whether Umbreon was naturally glowing or using Flash - with the four move limit kept to so strongly now it would be nice to have a better guide of what is and isn't an actual move from a Pokemon.

To complain about something - how come the easily damageable equipment seemed to be fine after about half way through? The end scene with three fire types burning the building up at once surely wasn't good for all that easily damageable equipment.

The stand out anger point in this episode is probably his casual mention of collecting the badges just for a bit of training for his job - it does really undervalue Ash's achievements and that of all the trainers who focus on one side of Pokemon training to have a character like this. I can't begin to imagine what Zoey's response to Nando winning the Grand Festival would have been, because that's probably the nearest comparative point - but even Nando didn't dismiss one of his pursuits as just training.

Virgil seems a nice enough character, but knowing what his future holds makes me hate everything about him. Apart from his extremely cute Eevee of course.

This ep gave us Virgil's dub name (Virgil...), his dub voice actor (better than the Jap) and was quite the introduction for him. The plot was a bit out-of-Pokemon, but it does not matter. Another positive thing I noticed is that Virigl acted less snob than Jap (prolly the fact he's not Virgil-san helped it out).

The only bad thing (well, except for the 9 scans of Pokemon Ash has already encountered) was that there were some translating inconsistencies. For ex, Jap stated that Virgil's Eevee is the only female of the team, while dub only said that this particular one is female. There was another minor one, I don't remember exactly at this point.

TBH, being the third time I watch this episode, I was not impressed by it. If it weren't for that, though, it would be a great episode.

EDIT: It also bugged me that in both Jap and Dub no-one explicitly stated that the Unova League is gonna begin right after that...

Agree with the above. That girl eevee is most likely going to be the new evolution and adds to the "its a girl only evo" theory.

Episode was ok.

This was pretty good Episode with good voices. Kayzie Rogers was about half of the eevelutions as usual but that is fine because she is good. And Also "Tom The Hermit Crab Wayland" Was good as Virgil. This just was a good episode. I give it a 8.9/10.

When that Eevee in one scene happily swinged with her ears as it were wings I realized that I have seen too many Sylveon´s type discussions. (Because the first thought when I saw it was "OMG, they´ve just confirmed the flying type).

In overall, somehow I didn´t enjoy this episode so much. Even though Virgil seems to be an interresting character so far (I know spoilers and maybe this opinion will change)

I liked the concept of the episode, and certain things seemed movie-esque. (the helicopter-things and the rescue mission itself) The female Eevee was really cute. (I bet she will evolve into Sylveon or another new evolution if there will be one... Called it since the episode was announced in Japan.) Virgil was handled well.

Virgil said he was older than the main characters, but didn't seem that much older to me, probably about Cilan's age.

The Stoutland's (Odor Sleuth?) green beacon-snoot looked a little strange. (and then it sniffed normally later in the episode)

*insert comment about Ash Dexing tons of Pokemon from his home region and has seen before here*

Is it just me or did Eevee sound alot like pachirisu? Was it the same VA or just a coincidence?. Probably one of the better filler eps we have had for black and white in awhile. Eeveelutions (eevee and umbreon in particular) are some of my favourite pokemon so i enjoyed it :D

The only bad thing (well, except for the 9 scans of Pokemon Ash has already encountered)
*insert comment about Ash Dexing tons of Pokemon from his home region and has seen before here*
Which was most likely done more for the younger audience watching than anything, so it's not a big deal at all. Besides, Ash clearly knew who they were. He also probably wanted to see if the region's Pokedex had some new info.

Seriously, people need to not harp on Ash dexing older Pokemon.

Anyway, I'm thinking the whole 'female' aspect was a play more on the fact that Eevee's gender ratio is skewed more towards males. It COULD have some aspect involved with Sylveon, but I still hope it is both genders.

Anyway, I'm thinking the whole 'female' aspect was a play more on the fact that Eevee's gender ratio is skewed more towards males. It COULD have some aspect involved with Sylveon, but I still hope it is both genders.

In fact, back when I watched it in Jap, I pretty much liked this thing, because I thought it was a play on the gender ratio. 7/1 has the 7 Eeveelutions and the 1 Eevee, so thinking about it makes the writers quite smart on that.

HOWEVER, when Sylveon was introduced, and everyone thinks its a female evo, that pun immediately became connected to all this Sylveon Ruckus. I still doubt Sylveon will be female-only, but Im sure that as soon as Gen 6 hits, I will no longer love this pun, because of all that. Congratulations, fandom.... *inserts drama*....

Is it just me or did Eevee sound alot like pachirisu? Was it the same VA or just a coincidence?. Probably one of the better filler eps we have had for black and white in awhile. Eeveelutions (eevee and umbreon in particular) are some of my favourite pokemon so i enjoyed it :D
According to Bulbapedia, both Pachirisu and this Eevee were voiced by Chinami Nishimura. And the episode is not a filler, Virgil's going to compete in the League.

I was hoping the episode would clarify whether Umbreon was naturally glowing or using Flash - with the four move limit kept to so strongly now it would be nice to have a better guide of what is and isn't an actual move from a Pokemon.

It did clarify that it was Flash. Did the dub not include that?

Back in BW004, when Don George said he would have loved have his hands on the first Umbreon in the Unova Region? I guess we're just supposed to ignore that comment?

Virgil had the perfect voice, as did his family. The way he spoke to his Eevee was really neat, and now that I understand what Virgil is talking about, he's much more interesting than I originally thought. It was a really good episode, and one of the better dub episodes.
Maybe he meant Western Unova, where there are no older Pokemon at all.

A little thing for me in this episode was the Pokedex reading of all the different types, I was like really? This is going to take a bit...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom