• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP06: Curtain Up, Unova League!

garrison-san

someone in the dark
Reaction score
BW103 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

The Unova League has begun and Ash finds himself up against rival Trip. Does Pikachu have what it takes to take on Serperior?

Important: For the benefit of those who do not follow the series in its original Japanese form, please remember to put spoilers pertaining to future episodes in spoiler tags.

Last edited:
This was such a good episode it was just great episode. I cannot tell if Marc Thompson is Ferrothorn or Tom The Hermit Crab Wayland Is Ferrothorn.

So, apparenly everyone thought they've been pronouncing Stephan's name correctly from the start? Lol.

Well, I guess, looking back, I can see that this was a decent first start to the league at least,
especially with Trip going out so early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I didn't dislike this episode at all. I felt it was genuinely a good start to this League. It's what followed next that I really dislike myself. :sweatlol:

I'll give the dub 84/100.

The dub is actually above average in this episode. I have to say, props to Jason Griffith for his awesome voice as Cilan, and Sarah's much improved Ash Ketchum voice in BW (both her yelling and laughing are quite bad, though, and she needs to work on both aspects of her Ash voice). I also noticed Eileen Stevens has gotten far less annoying as Iris and is more subdued in her work, so she's improved as well.

I've always liked Jamie McGonnigal's Trip voice, so I have nothing to say other than he does excellent work and nails what he should sound like.

Last edited:
Okay, let's see...

Bianca still hasn't learned to open her damn eyes when running! Isn't that the sort of thing we all learn before kindergarten?

I've completely lost track of whether Stephan's name should be pronounced as STEPH-an or Ste-PHAN, and to be honest, I've stopped caring. At least that running "joke" has been laid to rest.

Trip's back on his Valium.

Cameron's still an idiot. When he said he'd arrived three days early so that he wouldn't be late, I was starting to think he was finally becoming semi-competent. Then it turned out he'd completely forgotten to register (and apparently never heard the word "register" before), so there went that bit of hope.
(And this is the guy who's gonna go on to beat Ash? Seriously?)

And no big 6v6 battle between Ash and his regional rival? Ash is facing Trip in 1v1 prelims? This pretty much cements Shutterbug's failure to live up to the standards of Paul or Gary Motherf**king Oak.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated in the opening post, we would like for people to put information about future events in spoiler tags so that people who don't follow the Japanese version won't be spoiled about future events. I've already added in a few spoiler tags, but please don't violate this warning again. Thank you.

This was 10/10 for me because I only like this one, the next episode and the Batle with Stephan in this League.

Okay, this ep is a League Setter, 10/10, blah blah, I have said these things in the Japanese version. No need to repeat myself.
Focusing on the dub changes, I get 2 pros and 1 con...

1) The Stephan thing was nice to see dubbed (everyone assuming they said it right so Stephan still stands alone...)
2) Bianca's voice after almost half a year was WAY TOO annoying, compared to the better Japanese one...
3) Have I heard right? They kept the Japanese Best Wishes Opening! YAY!

I just can't get over how stupid Cameron is shouldn't have even been able to join the league, plus would have liked it if Ash vs Trip wasn't right off the bat like this.

I admit that this wasn't a bad dub, but I have some problems with the content of the episode. Cameron's helplessness is starting to get old, especially when he started yelling at his own Pokemon. It really makes you wonder how he even got this far in his journey. Also, I'm a bit disappointed that Ash and Trip aren't getting a full 6 v 6 battle like Ash has with his past primary rivals. They've basically been building up to this battle since the first episode, and then they just make it a one on one battle? Why are they making these other, thrown in, less-interesting characters seem more important than the main rival?

I admit that this wasn't a bad dub, but I have some problems with the content of the episode. Cameron's helplessness is starting to get old, especially when he started yelling at his own Pokemon. It really makes you wonder how he even got this far in his journey. Also, I'm a bit disappointed that Ash and Trip aren't getting a full 6 v 6 battle like Ash has with his past primary rivals. They've basically been building up to this battle since the first episode, and then they just make it a one on one battle? Why are they making these other, thrown in, less-interesting characters seem more important than the main rival?

Yeah, the league...let's just say this episode was the tip of the iceberg with this one. I won't spoil it for you, but all I can say is this is nothing compared to what occurs next. lol. XD.

I didn't like how Trip or Ash were treated in this league, but I won't say anything else on this one.

Yeah same here, I will not give anything else away but Ash And Trip Really should have had a6VS.6 Battle and would probably would have been epic and really Good.

Once again, the episode title wasn't centered properly.

curtain01.jpg

They also did it with A Village Homecoming!, Unova's Survival Crisis!, Unrest at the Nursery!, The Road to Humilau!, Battling Authority, Once Again!, Jostling For The Junior Cup!, Iris and the Rogue Dragonite!, The Mystery of the Missing Cubchoo!, Expedition to Onix Island!, Piplup, Pansage, and a Meeting of the Times! and numerous others. I really wish they would stop making this mistake.

Good opening episode for the league, dub does its job enough well. As I skipped the last dubbed episodes of Rival Destinies, this is the first time I heard the English voice of Ferrothorn (and Cameron)...kinda surprised me to hear it.

i just have one question. is there a different voice actor for pikachu. cuz he deff. sounds different plus he sounds angry or is that just because hes fired up

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom