• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP11: A Unova League Evolution!

I agree this wasn't the greatest episode ever, but I liked it enough. Pikachu was funny in the sauna lol. And I have to agree with Ash when he said to Bianca "is this ever going to end?" after she knocked him over into water YET AGAIN. xP

That gag is starting to get a bit old. Can't blame ya there, Ash.

Anyway, I would've liked to see a full battle of Virgil's, but I have a feeling he'll play a bigger role later. I'll explain in another thread. Snivy not using Attract was odd, I agree. But Ash could've forgotten about it by accident. Things like that can happen. I also believe he used Quick Attack a few times in a row to match Lucario's speed and get in some quick damage. Makes enough sense to me.

Also, I liked the ending, I thought it was really neat. ^^

This episode was one I liked a lot. Ash's performance in the Unova League was simply awful, and no one anticipated him regressing in place, certainly an original and realistic outcome.
The laziness that Ash has shown in training his Unova party was made apparent.
This episode was not as good as any from the Sinnoh League, and it was very rushed.
However, it easily set up the Episode N arc, as well as the travel he will do around the islands.

Honestly, even if Ash did more training, I doubt the results would be any different. The writers were rushing like crazy, after all.

Though, I'm thinking they saved all the unevolved Pokemon (and Boldore and Unfezant) for this match since it would make the loss seem more believable than having Kotetsu steamroll over Krookodile and Leavanny.

I'm just amused how much people hate this league while I don't find it bad at all - no, I like it. The ending of this conference wasn't bad, just a regular. We know that they can't let Ash win without ending the series. And I'm not bothered that Ash actually caused his loss. There's no way to predict such a thing.
It's not the fact that Ash lost the league that everyone dislikes about it - we all saw that coming - it's HOW he lost the league that gets everyone.

Actually, for me it is the fact that once again Ash lost (and still can't even make it to the [EFF]ing finals)--but how he lost definitely isn't helping.

You might've noticed that I've been keeping quiet about this one. It's because I've been complaining so much about BW that I'm actually sick of doing it. I'm kinda thinking about what Thumper's mom told him: "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all." Well, I've had very few nice things to say lately.

It's not the fact that Ash lost the league that everyone dislikes about it - we all saw that coming - it's HOW he lost the league that gets everyone.

Losing to a trainer who apparently doesn't know what a full battle is and only brings five Pokemon into battle against Ash's six, uses his so-called secret weapon right away instead of saving it for later, and throws away two of his Pokemon two against two of Ash's with a humongous type disadvantage doesn't make Ash look like a skilled trainer, especially in comparison to previous series. Cameron's new Lucario was his only saving grace, but had he brought six Pokemon into battle and chose his match-ups more wisely, he very likely would have won regardless of Riolu's evolution. Not to mention Cameron losing to Virgil 6-3 in the next round, making Ash look even worse.

I would hardly call this a "regular ending" to a league.
...so? I have no problem with that at all. Maybe its because the only thing I care about battles is that they look and sound good (in other words: good animation and Shinji Miyazaki's bgm).

...so? I have no problem with that at all. Maybe its because the only thing I care about battles is that they look and sound good (in other words: good animation and Shinji Miyazaki's bgm).
...and your point is...? You wondered why everyone hated this league, and gave false speculation for why, and I merely corrected your reasonings and explained the real reason to you so you would know. Again, the simple fact of the matter is that most dislike the league not because Ash lost it, but because of how he lost it; your previous post assumed it was the former.

If you're not bothered that Ash performed terribly here compared to previous leagues, then good for you, more power to you. But if you can't even accept other's reasonings, then fine, don't. Just don't think I ever intended to change your opinion about anything and then reply with a "I don't care about any of that" argument - because that was not my intention at all.

Last edited:
While this league was pretty awful, I still thought the stuff leading up to it were good.

It's basically an inverse of Johto for me, bad league, decent-good follow-up.

My only hope is that we'll see Ash's competent levels reach Sinnoh levels again one day.

...and your point is...? You wondered why everyone hated this league, and gave false speculation for why, and I merely corrected your reasonings and explained the real reason to you so you would know. Again, the simple fact of the matter is that most dislike the league not because Ash lost it, but because of how he lost it; your previous post assumed it was the former.
I pretty much knew already (ever since the japanese episode aired) how much people here hate the WAY how Ash lost, and that's also something what I don't get. As I said, I have no problem with that.

I pretty much knew already (ever since the japanese episode aired) how much people here hate the WAY how Ash lost, and that's also something what I don't get. As I said, I have no problem with that.
If you still don't get why most were unhappy with Ash's performance in the league, even after I explained it all to you - that again being that he didn't fare as well as he did in previous leagues, making it look like his skils have been regressed this series - then I don't think you ever will. But I guess that's that, then.

I wouldn't say Ash performed COMPLETELY terribly. I thought that Aerial Ace from Krookodile was genius. But that's really about it. xP

I noticed how Cameron's Lucario has a different voice in the English dub. Which is pretty goddamn pointless. In the Japanese version, Lucario's voice is not too far off from Riolu's voice. Did the dubbing team think it was not masculine enough or something?

The Pikachu v. Lucario battle wasn't terrible (For example, Ash telling Pikachu to grab its tail to regain balance was a good move), it's a shame it has to be a part of this league. And of course the dub strips away all the cool movie 14 music.

While I do not appreciate the usual result of Ash being knocked out of the league (Again!!!), I actually liked the battling scenes of Ash and Cameron's battle. I found them to be pretty intense. I mean they uninterruptedly commanded moves head-on against each other. I do not remember seeing a Pokémon battle so intense (or I believe that it is just due to me being in the 'no-criticizing Pokémon much' mode these past few days because of Fairy Tail, the anime) :confused:.

As far as the league battles (or for that matter, any anime battle) go, I do not believe that it is just a matter of super-effective or not-very effective moves with regards to battles in this canon medium. (Ineffective moves are a complete different thing). I actually have realized after watching this episode that in anime battles, aside from these mechanics, an important factor which plays a role is the energy of the Pokémon battling (No, it is not HP I'm taking about). While battling, Pokémon tend to lose their energy due to taking hits, firing moves, dodging moves, being smashed in walls etc., after being hit by a move, the Sun (It is summer in the Pokémon world, according to the previous and the next Sawsbuck sighting in the anime; It's one use that can be benefited from Season Pokémon's appearances in the anime) and become energetic if they feel they might lose this one or becoming cheered or the likes of that. As a result, a Pokémon fires moves with variable power. Thus, a tired Flareon's Flamethrower can easily deal normal damage to a Tangela in the anime. None of this is supposed to happen in the games.)

But this is my own belief, I guess :D.

That does not take away the fact that Cameron was absolutely wrong in switching Ferrothorn and Swanna against Pignite and Pikachu. I mean, what did that head-band do to his brain:confused:. Glad those sitting in the sidelines, notably Iris and Cilan, took notice of the latter mistake :cautious:.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom