• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP16: The Light of Floccesy Ranch!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW113 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Official Pokémon Site said:
Our heroes encounter Ellie, a farmer who’s facing a dilemma. Her Ampharos keeps watch over the Mareep on the farm, but Ampharos is having trouble finding the confidence to continue its job. Maybe Iris can convince her Dragonite to teach Ampharos a bold new move to bolster its authority!

Please remember our spoiler rules when posting!

Is my memory failing me, or is that the first time we've seen the interior of a Pokéball?

I'm sure I can look it up on Bulbapedia.

Nothing special, but it was nice to see Dragonite's soft side. At one point I kind of thought Pikachu would learn Thunder Punch when Axew and him were throwing the punches. Overall it was okay.

^^^ Misty's Psyduck was the first too be shown inside it's PokeBall.

Wow. We finally get to see some older Pokemon in a main role again after like…a lot of episodes. The good thing about this episode was that we got to see some personality from Dragonite that didn’t involve him beating the crap out of something else. The bad thing is that it was in an otherwise boring filler.

So Pikachu and Axew run into Mareep, which Ash apparently doesn’t remember that he’s seen several times before. Then Ampharos comes up and tries to pull it to get it to move, but fails and gets shocked because apparently this Pokemon lacks the ability to pick up its first stage form. So then the CoD comes up and talks about how her Ampharos can’t move the Mareep because it can’t use ThunderPunch and for some reason ThunderPunch is necessary to move Mareep. But it’s having trouble learning the move. So of course Iris has Dragonite comes out and try to teach Ampharos how to use Thunder Punch.

So meanwhile Team Rocket totally ignores the Dragonite in favor of catching Pikachu and the Mareep. Going back to training, Ampharos continues to struggle. Soon Team Rocket begins stealing the Mareep one by one for another stupid plan destined to fail. The group then notices that some Mareep are missing and they go to look (same old same old).

Eventually,( after a boring sequence of events) they find Team Rocket and attack with Mareep’s electricity. When they get back to battling Ash makes the genius decision to use Snivy against a Woobat and Amoongus. But they do okay. Dragonite protects Ampharos and Mareep from Gust and Ampharos learns ThunderPunch through the encouragement of the others. WooHoo! Mareep are saved, final words to CoDs, and the end.

So overall this episode was okay. There were some weird moments like Iris yelling at Dragonite and calling it cutie pie. Jessie telling Meowth to be serious and stop singing was nice, but it was annoying to see him fall asleep while counting the Mareep not to mention the blasting off. Pikachu and Axew were kind of annoying throughout the whole episode, especially Pikachu taking part in Axew’s childish activities (not that he hasn't done this before, but still. Annoying). I’ll give this episode a 5/10.

Oh sh*t the episode starts with Axew and Pikachu running. I hope this isn’t what I THINK it is. “I hope they didn’t run off and get lost.” You took the words right out of my mouth, Ash.

So Ash forgot what Mareep is, but knows Ampharos? I’m gonna have to deduct some points.

This doesn’t have much to do with the episode, but I find it unfair, that this ranch is full of Mareep, yet they only appear 5% of the time in game…not cool.

They drink their soup in a cup? Is this a thing? And why are they just allowing Pikachu and Axew to abuse Mareep? Pikachu doesn’t even liked to get pulled in the face but he’ll just hop all over Mareep.

The Mareep don’t listen to Ampharos, so we’re gonna start punching the Mareep for respect? I love this show!!

Dragonite is the cutest little teacher. Nice to see another side of him.

Okay Team Rocket, THERE IS A BIG ASS DRAGONITE AND AN AMPHAROS RIGHT THERE, YET YOU ZOOM IN ON PIKACHU?!?! What happened to pilfering powerful primo Pokémon to pack a punch for the boss? (I tried).

Y’know, if Thunderpunch is that easy to learn, why can’t Pikachu use Thunderpunch?

What’s up with Iris yelling at Dragonite? I mean, damn Iris, Dragonite is exhausted.

“This is too serious for a song.” I DON’T EVEN KNOW HOW TO RESPOND TO THAT! Really, are they serious or not?

(Panicking Ampharos is so cute!)

Now wait just a minute, Ash. You said: “You can’t make someone have confidence.” Hmm, you say that, though, I feel like this has happened in the show before. Maybe….. *cough* NANETTE *cough*.

“Counting Mareep made me sleepy!” OMZ, Meowth! Cool points for that one!

“Look how Ampharos is shielding the Mareep?” Is that all you can say? How ‘bout some assistance?

Now Iris, this Dragonite can take Ice attacks all day and not get a scratch, why the hell are we worrying about him?

“Let it rip!!” Uhhh…you’re about 30 minutes too late.

So the Mareep finally learned Ampharos’ trust. Yep, all you have to do is shield someone from an attack to earn their trust! :D

Dragonite is pretty cramped in that Poke ball. Poor guy~ Points for seeing the inside of a Pokeball. Haven’t seen that in a while.

Also, why is Cilan just now thanking that man for the lunch?

Well…I mean, it was good. I don’t really have anything bad to say about it. It was just a filler episode so, I can’t really complain or anything. I guess I’ll give it a 13/10 just for Meowth’s counting Mareep line.

This episode was like a bad Johto filler, from the bland character of the day to the relatively stupid problem.

This episode was like a bad Johto filler, from the bland character of the day to the relatively stupid problem.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I watched this episode. It reminded me a bit of "Octillery the Outcast", though like that episode, it also managed to be quite cute.
To think I only got five hours of sleep (I was really busy last night and went to sleep around 3 AM) just to wake up at 8 to watch this episode. :-( That's two episodes in a row that N isn't in, and I'm really hoping he or Team Plasma are in the next episode (don't spoil it for me if that's true).

Still, Ampharos is ultra cute and it's one of my favorite Electric types, so it was nice to see one in a major role, which I think hasn't happened since Johto. I still can't get over the pronounciation; I always thought it was pronounced "am-PHAR-os" (as in, "phare" is French for lighthouse) not "AM-pher-OSS".

That's exactly what I was thinking as I watched this episode. It reminded me a bit of "Octillery the Outcast", though like that episode, it also managed to be quite cute.
To think I only got five hours of sleep (I was really busy last night and went to sleep around 3 AM) just to wake up at 8 to watch this episode. :-( That's two episodes in a row that N isn't in, and I'm really hoping he or Team Plasma are in the next episode (don't spoil it for me if that's true).

Still, Ampharos is ultra cute and it's one of my favorite Electric types, so it was nice to see one in a major role, which I think hasn't happened since Johto. I still can't get over the pronounciation; I always thought it was pronounced "am-PHAR-os" (as in, "phare" is French for lighthouse) not "AM-pher-OSS".
TPCi mispronounces Pokemon names a lot. I did love that Ampharos kept its cute Japanese voice. Music wise we only got 5 pieces out of 20, so 25%.

The episode was average.

Now for the dub?

The Good

- Ampharos kept its Japanese voice.
- Carter Cathcart's Meowth was less annoying than usual today. Less gruffy and higher-pitched.

The Bad

- Team Rocket's alliterations (e.g. Jessie "We're pooling our power pile!" ; James "To catch Pikachu with a smile.")
- Music wise, this episode was poor and there was a lot of replacement BGM.
- Carter Cathcart's James sounded fat today.
- James: "To unite the people within our nation!" You know what, forget it, that's not really a valid complaint anymore.

Other than that, this was a fairly standard episode for the dub. 7/10.

Last edited:
I liked how they're still keeping different rhymes in Jessie and James' first motto lines, it's comparable to the Japanese "[Insert asked question] to kikaretara".
They have say "Prepare for trouble, you know the drill! And make it double, you'll get your fill!" for the third time in a row. Owww.

I'm not annoyed like everyone else at the line "To unite the people within our nation". I'm not a native English speaker but I thought that "people" was already a plural (of "person"), so "peoples" seemed like a double plural to me, unless there is an exception with that word (and probably there is one).

I thought it was an ok episode as fillers go.

Nice to see dragonite helping out another pokemon. Character development for anyone bar axew, oshawott or pikachu is always welcome. Too much of BW fillers have been Axew gets lost or Oshawotts in love.

Team rockets generic video during the motto is getting dull. They need to flesh out the rocket pokemon too rather than just use them as move drones. Amongus doesnt even try to hug/eat James or anything like his previous mons. like every week I think I'll also add that without wobbuffet TR just arent the same especially with the more serious dull nature of the BW main trio.

I liked how they're still keeping different rhymes in Jessie and James' first motto lines, it's comparable to the Japanese "[Insert asked question] to kikaretara".
They have say "Prepare for trouble, you know the drill! And make it double, you'll get your fill!" for the third time in a row. Owww.

I'm not annoyed like everyone else at the line "To unite the people within our nation". I'm not a native English speaker but I thought that "people" was already a plural (of "person"), so "peoples" seemed like a double plural to me, unless there is an exception with that word (and probably there is one).

In general, I hate how Team Rocket has to rhyme everything sometimes. Occasionally, it's funny, but in excess it loses its charm and isn't funny.

Am I the only one who spent the first couple of minutes convinced that the first Mareep was a doll or something? It doesn't move at all until it shocks Ampharos. Like, did the animators just forget to make it do something until that moment? There were also a bunch of scary, vacant stares in this episode, from humans and Pokémon alike. :p

Kind of funny that Ampharos keeps its Japanese voice, too. (Has it always?) Not that I'm complaining, but "Denryu" sounds nothing like "Ampharos", so I wasn't really expecting that.

Also, was Dragonite really showing off his "soft side"? Iris told him to help out. Maybe if Dragonite had seen Ampharos struggling and then decided to help, I'd agree, but he was just following his trainer's orders.

I laughed out loud at the way Team Rocket caught the Mareep. I mean... firing a laser at their heads? That made the Mareep decide to follow the laser to the source? Then kind of just walk right into the cage once it was turned off? What was that about? I guess you could say the electricity in the laser attracted the Mareep or whatever, but it just seemed so... SILLY.

I feel like I should dislike this episode, but I think it went into So Bad It's Good territory. I liked seeing the inside of Dragonite's Pokéball (despite the fact that it shattered my theories on what it looks like in there), and I can't say I wasn't entertained. :p

"People" can be either a plural noun (the plural of "person") or a singular noun that means "persons forming or belonging to a particular group (like a nationality or race)."

Am I the only one who spent the first couple of minutes convinced that the first Mareep was a doll or something? It doesn't move at all until it shocks Ampharos. Like, did the animators just forget to make it do something until that moment? There were also a bunch of scary, vacant stares in this episode, from humans and Pokémon alike. :p
I wondered if it was fake as well.

I laughed out loud at the way Team Rocket caught the Mareep. I mean... firing a laser at their heads? That made the Mareep decide to follow the laser to the source? Then kind of just walk right into the cage once it was turned off? What was that about? I guess you could say the electricity in the laser attracted the Mareep or whatever, but it just seemed so... SILLY.

I was wondering that, too. I mean, it's so inconvenient. Thieves are supposed to steal quickly, not use the slowest possible means of capturing an entire farm!

And then Jessie wants to say it's too serious for a song. How the hell was I supposed to take that seriously?

I was wondering that, too. I mean, it's so inconvenient. Thieves are supposed to steal quickly, not use the slowest possible means of capturing an entire farm!

And then Jessie wants to say it's too serious for a song. How the hell was I supposed to take that seriously?

Remember we are talking about Jessie, James, and Meowth here. XD. lol.

Oddly enough, I've always found them the most relatable characters on the show, and the most well developed. I didn't like them when they were serious that much. While I think it's great they were finally getting closer to Giovanni and their dreams, the way it was executed was in such a dull fashion that it was rather boring to watch.

Oddly enough, I've always found them the most relatable characters on the show, and the most well developed. I didn't like them when they were serious that much. While I think it's great they were finally getting closer to Giovanni and their dreams, the way it was executed was in such a dull fashion that it was rather boring to watch.

Well, since the whole "serious upgrade", they've had a whole bunch of fancy gadgets and to just see them use that ridiculous invention was just laughable.

The only thing that bothered me about the change was that it just seemed really random. Nothing really made them decide to act totally serious.

Well, since the whole "serious upgrade", they've had a whole bunch of fancy gadgets and to just see them use that ridiculous invention was just laughable.

The only thing that bothered me about the change was that it just seemed really random. Nothing really made them decide to act totally serious.

Same here. There was no real reason why they changed personalities like that to me, either.

Also, was Dragonite really showing off his "soft side"? Iris told him to help out. Maybe if Dragonite had seen Ampharos struggling and then decided to help, I'd agree, but he was just following his trainer's orders.
To me it's because Dragonite was trying initially to put up a tough image, but by the end was showing that he cared about whether Ampharos would succeed instead of reluctantly helping all along like it could have done.

I liked this episode because Mareep.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom