• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP23: Ash and N: A Clash of Ideals!

The part where N took the Light Stone (which is a lot bigger than I picture it being in-game) was awesome. Wow, he can really move! It was also touching how when Ash fell into the ruins, N ran back to help him, and later dropped the Light Stone to grab Ash with his other hand.
I find it hard to believe that they're truly stuck down there. I don't see why Iris couldn't have sent Dragonite down the hole to lift them out or why one of the Golurk or other Pokemon around couldn't have helped N and Ash get out.

Somehow I never noticed how tall N is (at least, compared to Ash) until this episode. :-|
376.jpg

I really like that it ended mid-plot on a cliffhanger. I feel like it's been forever since that last happened. Also, Professor Juniper was hilarious.
Overall, this was an excellent episode.

Last edited:
* Starts reading way too much into Meowth's reference to making noodles *

I don't get the feeling that the clash between Ash and N is as large as the title makes it out to be, N's point seemed to be almost that he was coming around to thinking that there are indeed a lot of good people out there - it isn't the totally different world view it started out as being. Sure Ash could have made the case for why he battles with his Pokemon. Pikachu could tell N he enjoys getting stronger - though ideally Pikachu would have a bunch of examples in BW where Ash trained with him to help that.

Ash and the others undoing all the hard work on stranger danger campaigns - yeah someone knows someone you know, hop in their car!

Dunno why Iris/Cilan didn't just aim for the machine, they just dealt with it a few episodes ago yet they still try to fight the Pokemon that have their minds controlled? Likewise if Ash was even slightly thinking he'd use the five seconds of dangling to call out Charizard to catch them. Still, I did like the chance for N/Ash to have a talk, there need to be more segments like that where you just get some insight into the characters and the Pokemon World. Also surprised Iris didn't know more about the Dragonspiral Tower.

And yes Ash, you're loved, don't be that shocked.

Last edited:
Yes! The episode with Cedric is finally here! I love Cedric so much! He's just so funny with not finishing his sentences before someone interrupts.

So right into the episode we have this assistant of Cedric Juniper find Ash and Co., and I'm thinking: This guide is Looker…isn’t he? I'm not letting him trick me this time!

I really liked when Ash said, "Listen till the end!" Maybe they'll catch on eventually.

I’m tired of this lack of movie "cannoness". Yeah, I get it, but once again, I've never really noticed it before and it seems SO OBVIOUS this time! It's just really annoying. But let's continue...

So this time, this idiot just wants to take the Light Stone and not try to hide it. Well, at least there were no booby traps.

So N's back! N got him a deer and has a little Snow White moment. Why does he insist on being so creepy and coming out of nowhere?

I just have to include that Golbat was the PoD, and I love Golbat...even though it had like, once scene.

So N's just gonna steal the Light Stone like a ninja. That is why Anime N is 10X cooler than game N.

Understandably, N took the Light Stone because he's a hippy and doesn't like people using Pokemon for science. Cedric denies his claims being true and then 3 seconds later was basically like, "Yes, this is all for science!" XD Gotta love that man.

N is cool for going back to save Ash and dropping the Light Stone. That was really awesome. Even though N keeps saying he isn't really doing anything when his risking his LIFE!

I'm beginning to wonder about Cedric. Ok: YOU'RE SURE THEY'RE FINE?!?! THEY JUST FELL INTO AND ABYSS!!... Oh look, Pikachu’s totally fine. And Ash, and N… Well...Cedric knows what he's talking about.

Team Plasma are really Gs in the anime. Like, they surround the whole place and just start attacking.

Oh look! There's that assistant again!

N has seen ALL KINDS of Pokémon relationships?! And then he says "Come here Pikachu" like that? Well, he still has some of those weird game traits.

Predicted! It was Looker. Everyone already knew, but I wasn't fooled this time. And this man has a pipe! And he doesn't discriminate: he will take down women with a pipe. Looker gets cool points.

So Colress comes out of nowhere and shoots a Golurk to control. Really Colress? Where have you been all day? But then again, this is why Colress is awesome.

Team Rocket is really starting to piss me off. Gotta get the Light stone, and of course Pikachu? REALLY?! Can, for once, something be more valuable than Pikachu?

Gotta love that art at the end to set up the mood. Pretty good episode, if not just for Looker, Cedric, N, Colress, and Team Plasma. Which...was most of the episode. I can't really complain about anything, but it wasn't fantastic or anything. I'll give it a 9/10.

I don't get the feeling that the clash between Ash and N is as large as the title makes it out to be

It sure isn't, but at the very least it's worded a lot better than the Japanese title, which literally had "Satoshi vs N!" in it. XD I bet this would've been a monstrous clash if this were Ash and N of the games, though. Or at least N of PokeSpecial.

Anyway yeah, I agree we could use more episodes from time to time about these deep, almost philosophical talks between major characters. Even though Episode N's been far and away better than any part of BW so far, for some reason it feels out-of-place just by virtue of being in this particular series. :\ I just can't help but wonder how N would've possibly changed if he heard like say, Infernape's story... which while it has a lot in common with Charizard's, also has a lot more gray areas in terms of people who abandon/abuse Pokemon and the willingness of emotionally scarred Pokemon to battle for people regardless of what happened to them.

Team Gaara said:
I really liked when Ash said, "Listen till the end!" Maybe they'll catch on eventually.

ha ha ha YES. That was probably the best line of the episode for me. XD BW's so notorious for running their gags into the ground and making them not funny anymore... and maybe it's because this was in an otherwise super-serious episode, but the gag didn't bug me here! But Ash's line definitely helped in that regard, haha.

Wow, I actually forgot that this episode existed. I found it pretty boring for the most part. I’m just not that interested when it comes to dialogue heavy episodes.

Cedric’s sentence issue was funny at the beginning, but then it got pretty annoying, especially with his word choice. “This isn’t the light stone…unless it is.” What? Seriously, it was white and fire came out of it. Why would there be any doubt?

N and Ash having their little underground talk wasn’t as cool as I’d hoped, but N does seem to be starting to acknowledge how some humans are good to their Pokemon as opposed to just saying that they’re selfish and just want to use Pokemon for their own purposes.

Now for the high points of this episode. Looker threating Adilth with that pipe was cool. Things started to get more interesting when Colress showed up and took control of the Golurk. Then when Team Plasma started battling against Iris and Cilan, it finally became interesting. I also did like the point where Ash referred to N as his friend and he seemed a bit surprised.

Overall, this episode was okay. 6/10.

Oh right, I forgot about the DEADLY PIPE that actually cut all my serious investment from the episode for a bit because... it was just TOO funny in a scene that really shouldn't have been. XD This show's certainly come a long way from angry old men pointing bonafide pistols at Ash's head (even if that was never dubbed :p).

So now I'll insert a headcanon to cope: some part of that pipe was rusted, so if Looker broke ANY skin on Aldith (gah, I had to use Bulbapedia to learn what that name was), then she would be doomed to tetanus, because Looker does not fuck around here. >:|

Best line....
Cedric:Its the light stone!
Ash: Really?
Cedric:Or its just a big rock xD something like that but i loved it

So N steals the Light Stone from Ash and friends jumping around like a ninja but Ash is somehow able to keep up with if not close on him. By the time Ash gets stuck and N turns around, Ash is a lot closer to him than he logically should be.

Looker was cool. As usual, the interesting elements from the games are mashed into something. The Reshiram legend, in this case. At least the episode tries. That's all we can ask of it.

At N talking about how he's meet lots of Pokémon and good people along the way: This brief allusion to N's much more interesting game self is probably the best part of the episode by default. Bulbapedia talked about how one of the trainers N remembers looks like Hilbert. I can kinda see it, but it just feels like the good 'ol editors at Bulbapedia are trying to find something worth mentioning about this arc. :rolleyes:

Just looking at Bulbapedia, it seems Brad's dub name is Barret. I guess these quality names are supposed to have some kind of relevant meaning besides it.

Last edited:
So... the only time Looker's Theme was used properly in the anime, the dub destroyed it.

I love how Ash & co spent most of their time on the ground with Juniper.

It's kind of strange seeing Team Rocket snooping about not doing much but still being very much welcome to the episode. Loved the noodle reference.

Colress and Looker were great as usual. Can't wait to see the conclusion.

So... the only time Looker's Theme was used properly in the anime, the dub destroyed it.
Did you really expect them to keep it? TPCi's dub always destroys the music. While the episode itself is fine the dub was awful just because of all the music changes. Only the title card music & the movie 14 title theme that ended the episode were kept. Hopefully it'll get better once
Decolora Adventure
starts.

If N had the Light stone, then does that mean Reshiram will be making another appearance in the anime?

Hopefully it'll get better once
Decolora Adventure
starts.
Since the TPCi dub tends to keep all Japanese music in two-parters, three-parters and/or overall important episodes like Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu, the Team Galactic finale three-parter or The Semi-Final Frontier!, and how they aren't even trying so far in this three-parter, I wonder if they are going to bother with a filler arc.

Guys, I'm back. I've been very busy recently (damn work...) but now I can finally write reviews again. Ok, let's go:

Although I have to admit that I'm not completely happy with the episode, all in all it was still a very good one. Let me start with two things that could have been better in my eyes.
One very important point is that the philosophical conversation between Ash and N underground couldn't quite live up to my expectations. Starting out in a very promising way when N was complaining about Pokemon being the subjects of mere scientific research, their conversation was soon falling back into the old scheme "I'm right" - "No, I'm right"- "No, no, I'm right"... I actually hoped and expected them to bring up the problem that has still been unresolved since N appeared, namely the question whether Pokemon battles are justified. I'm starting to get worried if this question will ever be answered.
So, don't get me wrong, Ash and N's thought sure were very deep but I kind of expected a little bit more if you know what I mean.

The other thing is just a minor complaint but I still would like to mention it:
Looker was just as awesome as always with his undercover investigation and so on, but please, at least give him a Pokemon that could assist him in arresting criminals. I mean, threatening somebody with a pipe...well, that might work against small-time criminals but I guess it doesn't really pose a threat for the likes of Aldith.
Here's my suggestion: I still remember "The Battle Finale of Legend" in which Cynthia's Garchomp was using her blade against Jupiter, threatening to cut her throat. THAT'S what I call effective!

But also, let's not forget the many good aspects of this episode:
We had the return of the funny Cedric Juniper, mysterious ruins (a motif that I've always loved), a nice trip into Pokemon mythology and last but not least, plenty of action-packed scenes. So, those two points of criticism apart, I have to say this week's episode was a great way to develop the Team Plasma arc. And whenever I say that I'm looking forward to next week, then the episode must have been good.

This was a good part to a 3 Part Episode Trilogy here I think.

Also Lucky 444 Post today.

N MADE OUT WITH A SAWSBUCK. THAT'S THE MOST ADORABLE THING EVER!

Also, I thought it was very profound for him to drop the Light Stone, which he clearly valued, in order to save Ash. That was definitely out of his comfort zone.

Obviously, the best part was that N dropped the Light Stone without any hesitation to save Ash. That was really impressive.

Ash And N were just superb in this Episode they were great and the Interactions with each other was really good.

OMG, this episode was awesome! :D

N's interactions with Ash, Cedric's comedy relief (this guy is just LOL XD), and best of all...

LOOKER!! :D He's so awesome! Looker's disguises fool me ALL the time! He's just TOO good. I hope he becomes a recurring character in every region now, he just rocks! He certainly has reason to as long as there's antagonistic teams around too. :3

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom