• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP39: A Pokemon of a Different Color!

An Episode that Featured Clair, Ok let's see what Happens.

The Episode was Pretty Good I Guess, it was a Slow Episode I Felt like, but it was till Good in my eyes.

Clair's Return was Pretty Good, Nice that her Dragonair Evolved into the Dragon that Looks Like Barney. Iris's Dragonite and Clair's Dragonite were Funny Together I thought. Also, I REALLY DID NOT LIKE THIS Actress who did Clair but I have heard Worse.

Iris I Found VERY GOOD in this Episode and I Liked her Story of what Happened Years Earlier and I found it Cool. Was Anyone Else SHOCKED WHEN Iris said SHE DID NOT LIKE Dragon Types when she was younger, I HAD A VERY SHOCKED FACE WHEN I HEARD THAT, I was use like this WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! Her Interactions with Clair were Good.

Alexa at the End was Pretty Funny, I Laughed when she was Dissapointed in not see in the Rare Dragon.

I Like Druddigon, they are Cool, and they may Look Scary, but they probably do have a Kind Heart to People and Pokemon. The Shiny Druddigon looked really Cool and the Dragon Rage to Team Rocket was Fun to Watch.

Amoonguss Body Slamming Druddigon was Good, I Got a Good Laugh Out Of That Scene.

I Give this Episode an 8.6, it was Good, could have been just a Little Better but I Still Enjoyed the Episode.

Back to the N opening? What the hell, guys?

More continuity with past characters, which is always nice. One thing, though: Clair referred to the Dragonite that rampaged the Dragons' Holy Land as having been hers (and presumably the same one in this ep). As I recall though, that Dragonite belonged to someone from two centuries ago. Does that mean Clair inherited it, or was that a dub error? Especially considering that her Bulbapedia article says that the Dragonite she has now evolved from the Dragonair that Ash battled at her gym, and that definitely wasn't the pissed-off Dragonite. The whole thing about getting upset over a crushed flower is a nicely subtle connection, though, given that the aforementioned rampage was triggered when the TRio set fire to the DHL.

Back to the N opening? What the hell, guys?

I really think they must just flip a coin to decide the opening they use.

AS for the episode, the voice acting was okay for this one except for James. Seeing the original series flashback being reanimated was pretty cool I guess.

A decent episode overall with the references back to the original series.

An Episode that Featured Clair, Ok let's see what Happens.

The Episode was Pretty Good I Guess, it was a Slow Episode I Felt like, but it was till Good in my eyes.

Clair's Return was Pretty Good, Nice that her Dragonair Evolved into the Dragon that Looks Like Barney. Iris's Dragonite and Clair's Dragonite were Funny Together I thought. Also, I REALLY DID NOT LIKE THIS Actress who did Clair but I have heard Worse.

Iris I Found VERY GOOD in this Episode and I Liked her Story of what Happened Years Earlier and I found it Cool. Was Anyone Else SHOCKED WHEN Iris said SHE DID NOT LIKE Dragon Types when she was younger, I HAD A VERY SHOCKED FACE WHEN I HEARD THAT, I was use like this WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! Her Interactions with Clair were Good.

Alexa at the End was Pretty Funny, I Laughed when she was Dissapointed in not see in the Rare Dragon.

I Like Druddigon, they are Cool, and they may Look Scary, but they probably do have a Kind Heart to People and Pokemon. The Shiny Druddigon looked really Cool and the Dragon Rage to Team Rocket was Fun to Watch.

Amoonguss Body Slamming Druddigon was Good, I Got a Good Laugh Out Of That Scene.

I Give this Episode an 8.6, it was Good, could have been just a Little Better but I Still Enjoyed the Episode.

If i read correctly on another site is that Megan Hollingshed who did the original Clair voice back in Johto had did this one as well. This episode was great to me and it is good to see Clair after over a decade. Yay for Iris getting more backstory and more development.

Yeah, it's surprising that she mentioned that she didn't like Dragon Types when she was younger. Interesting how Druddigon was the reason she started liking them. It was funny when Cilan was talking about both Dragonite being opposite genders and then an image appears with them falling in love eventually lol.

Charizard sure got pushed around a lot in this episode. This was an ok episode, though I wish there was more Clair and Iris interactions going on.

It was great to see one of the best characters from Johto again. I guess, I have a particular liking for women like Clair that are tough and dress well at the same time, probably because they remind me of Cynthia.:embarass:

Nevertheless, not everything was fine today and so I have to be more discriminating when judging this episode:
Again,we were confronted with the old question that has been around for ages: When is somebody entitled to catch a Pokemon and when not?
Sure, TRio used a device to chase away the other Pokemon and eventually lure Druddigon.But honestly, what was it that Clair and the others considered bad about this way of catching Pokemon? Or to put it differently, if you follow that logic, shouldn't using a fishing rod be forbidden as well then? After all, it's an unfair device, too.
Also, who gave Ash and the others the right to interfere when TRio was battling Druddigon? They said it might get hurt, but honestly don't they do the very same whenever they try to catch a Pokemon? When TRio battles a Pokemon, it always seems that they're doing something bad, while it seems totally legit for Ash and co. to do the same. Frankly, I don't get it. If you ask me, the only unfair thing TRrio did today was using that big cannon-like weapon to try to catch the dragon but everything else before that scene was not really bad, so I doubt that Ash should have had the right to interfere.

And finally, I can't help feeling that Clair just asked our heroes not to attack Druddigon so that she herself could catch it. But well, maybe we all would have reacted in the same way if we had gotten the chance to catch a rare Pokemon.

Nevertheless, not everything was fine today and so I have to be more discriminating when judging this episode:
Again,we were confronted with the old question that has been around for ages: When is somebody entitled to catch a Pokemon and when not?
Sure, TRio used a device to chase away the other Pokemon and eventually lure Druddigon.But honestly, what was it that Clair and the others considered bad about this way of catching Pokemon? Or to put it differently, if you follow that logic, shouldn't using a fishing rod be forbidden as well then? After all, it's an unfair device, too.
A fishing rod doesn't cause harm/distress to the other Pokemon in the area. And I think that Team Rocket being likely to try and trap Druddigon while it was escaping rather than battling it fairly is another point of distinction.

More generally, being part of a 'criminal' organisation like Team Rocket makes something that would be normal for trainers into something wrong - they are catching Pokemon for the intention to use them in activities that would be against the law, which means stopping them from capturing should be justified on that basis, especially more powerful Pokemon that they could actually succeed with. It's the same blurry distinction between a 'group' and a 'gang' in the real world, doing the same activity while being deemed the latter becomes illegal in many cases.

That said there are certainly episodes where Team Rocket's captures are certainly no different than what any other trainer would do, which probably points to the writers needing to find something better to do with Team Rocket so that their evil plots aren't "catch a Pokemon using a slightly worse than normal method". I think this episode falls enough on the side of obviously not the right way to catch Pokemon that it didn't bother me, but other episodes have in the past.

Ash's hat stopping soundwaves bothered me more in this episode.

That said, Clemont's machine in XY003 seemed very similar to what Team Rocket used in this episode.

One thing, though: Clair referred to the Dragonite that rampaged the Dragons' Holy Land as having been hers (and presumably the same one in this ep). As I recall though, that Dragonite belonged to someone from two centuries ago. Does that mean Clair inherited it, or was that a dub error? Especially considering that her Bulbapedia article says that the Dragonite she has now evolved from the Dragonair that Ash battled at her gym, and that definitely wasn't the pissed-off Dragonite.

Bubapedia is wrong, the Dragonite in this episode was explicitly stated to be the one that went on that went on a rampage back then.

I'm amazed they showed Druddigon attacking Clair.

Also could they have come up with a more generic title?

The Scolipede from Iris's flashback sounded like Rachel Tice from The Most Popular Girls in School.

Druddigon is an interesting species. It's sad we've had so few episodes with them this saga.

An episode focusing on Iris. ALRIGHT! ;)

It was pretty fun to watch Iris's and Clair's Dragonite fighting and knocking Ash's Charizard away time and again.

Cilan uses his Film Connoisseur Skills to deduce that the two Dragonite will fall in love eventually. That's something I have not seen in a while. :)

We get some more backstory as to why Iris loves Dragon-type Pokémon (though she hated them at first). I feel it worked wonderfully that it was Iris and Druddigon in the past just like it was Clair and Druddigon in the present. (y) Any other Pokémon for either Iris or Clair would have lost the consequence of the episode for me.

All in all, I really loved this episode (though I love literally every episode of the Pokémon anime!).

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom