• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP44: Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!

VERY EMOTIONAL EPISODE, I Loved this Episode a lot.

Since when was Ash and Comp this Stupid NOT Realizing that James was Parker I Mean come on look at the Eyes and Hair for crying out loud.

Parker was at his Best here, VERY Brave and will Protect the Passengers on the Ship, and this was Francis Kelly's Best Performance as him since he has been Bleh as Parker but was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD HERE.

Team Rocket was Ok, and what was that Cube Meowth was Fiddling with? Was that a Rubix Cube because it Looked Like One.

Alexa was Oblivious to this, I Thought it was Funny. She understood Ash was going to be in the Dumps and I Think Cheered Him Up.

Iris and Cilan in there Last Episode were Good I Thought. They were Great.

We are Just 1 Episode away from the BW Finale which is Good I Think.

I Give this Episode a 9.9 VERY Good Episode one of the Better DA Episodes.

Nnnzzzzzzggg, Porter said Best Wishes, blah, blah, blah. Okay~

I just have to mention that I'm floored by Iris wondering if Gyarados was a Dragon-type, when she never made any sort of questioning towards Noivern. Why was that never brought up?

I have to admit, I was quickly getting worried that this episode would just be a bunch of failed Team Rocket plans. But I do have to commend them for actually thinking up a good plan here. I have to question why the balloons eventually stopped rising, though. It would have been much better to threaten the passengers by having the boat keep going up (with decreasing oxygen) in exchange for their Poke Balls. It looked that way to me, when I saw a man look over the side, that they'd have to consider jumping from that increasing altitude.

So I was really hoping Ash and them were not that stupid. I was REEEEEALLY waiting for one of them to question Jessie acting as James. But no. This has to be the most moronic moment of these three in the series to not notice that James wasn't even there. Not to mention believing that there were two Porters when James showed up rather than immediately realize they'd been set up. Are you kidding me? Have these guys really just reached the pinnacle of stupidity? This one scene honestly made me unable to enjoy any of the rest of the episode.

Team Rocket should have taken the Poke Balls they had when they had the chance. They finally had the game won, but just had to get greedy. Well, I suppose I shouldn't be too shocked, but still. Also, I'm generally getting tired of Alexa just missing everything. Like, really, even Helioptile didn't notice the boat was in the freaking sky?

Also, WHY WERE THOSE THREE ACTING SO DAMN SLOW WHEN THEY WERE STACKING THE BOXES!?!?! Team Rocket could have been gone with ALL of their Pokemon for all they knew, and they're down there taking their sweet time building a fort for funzies!

So they finally get to Kanto and it just gets worse. Iris and Cilan sit down and are already prepared to head off on their own (and could Cilan's reason be any more random?). No sadness to be spitting up whatsoever from ANYONE. Not even Pikachu and Axew! Hell, Scraggy didn't even get to say goodbye to his "brother". And the "farewell" scene, if you can even call it that, was just so rushed that it lacked any meaningfulness at all. This scene proved to me that these three have the worse friendship between them of all the traveling companions. It was just some flashbacks, nice words, and goodbyes. While I didn't necessarily like it, DP had an entire episode devoted to the sadness of the group breaking up, and don't even get me started on when Misty and Brock left. This episode was entirely centered around Team Rocket, and just shoved Iris and Cilan off at the end as they do with CoDs (which is honestly how I've seen the friendship between these three for a while now). And then Iris says she loved traveling with Ash, when not too long ago, she acted like it was the worst sh*t ever.

Why the hell was no one sad to be separating? Did it really mean that little to them? And yet they tried to make it seem so meaningful with those particular flashbacks when it really wasn't. During that scene, my right ear actually closed up and started ringing, because it was too outdone at what it was hearing. At this pitiful, rushed, anticlimactic goodbye scene lacking any symbolic relationship whatsoever. All I can say is that I'm actually glad this scene was so rushed because it being longer would have probably been more irritating and that I'm glad we can be rid of Iris these two for now.

With all the Kanto hype, I would have liked to see Oak or hear mention of Gary, Ash's mom, Misty, or SOMEBODY in the area. Not too big of a deal, though.

I am really done here. I am just patiently waiting for XY to start already. I'll give this episode a 1/10 because Team Rocket were at least somewhat competent and Porter was being badass (as badass as a Porter can be).

I was happy because...IRIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING! On the other hand, the goodbye was a good ending, but I disliked that they didn't dub the random JPN letter symbols at the train station that shows the schedule LOL they never do that (I call it lazy). The episode was great! 9/10

Well, there really isn't much to say here. This entire episode was pretty much just a Team Rocket plan. The only difference is that it seemed like everyone main character in this episode was a complete idiot.

Ash and co have to seriously be the biggest idiots in the world. They didn't notice Jessie switching spots pretending to be James, or "James" having a long ass red ponytail and a clearly different voice, or Porter with a different size, voice, and hairstyle? Are they really that stupid?

Team Rocket just had to go after more Pokémon didn't they? They could have actually escaped, done something smart, but no. And then they didn't send out Woobat or Yamask after their other Pokémon fainted. And just what they hell was the point of Meowth's little Rubix cube?

And why in the hell did Iris and Cilan even go to Kanto with Ash in the first place. They stayed there for not even a day, maybe not even a few hours, before just immediately deciding to go to Johto and Hoenn. It was so random and rushed. Cilan's little fishing thing came totally out of the blue and even Iris just decided to challenge Clair without much buildup. And then Iris said that she loved traveling with Ash. I can't even. Even the flashbacks were pretty pitiful. Just clips of Iris and Cilan separately, not much focusing on the group's "friendship" as a whole. Whatever.

And as for Alexa...once again, she missed EVERYTHING.

I'm just glad that Iris and Cilan are finally gone and that there's only one episode left. .5/10.

So they finally get to Kanto and it just gets worse. Iris and Cilan sit down and are already prepared to head off on their own (and could Cilan's reason be any more random?). No sadness to be spitting up whatsoever from ANYONE. Not even Pikachu and Axew! Hell, Scraggy didn't even get to say goodbye to his "brother". And the "farewell" scene, if you can even call it that, was just so rushed that it lacked any meaningfulness at all. This scene proved to me that these three have the worse friendship between them of all the traveling companions. It was just some flashbacks, nice words, and goodbyes. While I didn't necessarily like it, DP had an entire episode devoted to the sadness of the group breaking up, and don't even get me started on when Misty and Brock left. This episode was entirely centered around Team Rocket, and just shoved Iris and Cilan off at the end as they do with CoDs (which is honestly how I've seen the friendship between these three for a while now). And then Iris says she loved traveling with Ash, when not too long ago, she acted like it was the worst sh*t ever.

I feel the same way Team Gaara. Anyways onto the episode. This episode was another example of the ignorance Ash and friends have in regards to the Team Rocket disguises and how "James" sounded a little weird. And how can 4 helium balloons lift a 50,000+ ton cruise ship into the air? The ending scene was too much rushed. Overall, the episode left an empty spot where I was expecting so much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodbye Unova, this is a good TR episode but a bad departure episode if this is the same than in the raw (that I'¡m positive that this is true).

I will remind you that in December 14th Cartoon Network USA is going to air this episode:
"Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village"

As far as I'm aware this titltes sound familiar and not for being the 3rd episode of XY (or any of the XY episodea aired if that matter). However, this is the episode where Ash got a pokemon that appears next week in a episode where ALL the main characters will appear.

Goodbye Unova, this is a good TR episode but a bad departure episode if this is the same than in the raw (that I'¡m positive that this is true).

I will remind you that in December 14th Cartoon Network USA is going to air this episode:
"Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village"

As far as I'm aware this titltes sound familiar and not for being the 3rd episode of XY (or any of the XY episodea aired if that matter). However, this is the episode where Ash got a pokemon that appears next week in a episode where ALL the main characters will appear.

if there going to take a break then why air that episode why not air the cilan brock ep that makes no sense

I liked this episode. It has some serious issues but I do like that for once Team Rocket is portrayed in a somewhat competent fashion. I've only recently gotten back into the show but I'm going to miss Iris as I really liked her. Cilan on other hand I am very glad is leaving. I couldn't stand him. He was a weird mix of Tracey and Brock. Looking forward to XY as from what I've seen of Best Wishes, it hasn't been too great.

You guys are more familiar with the English dub actors than me; was James trying or not trying to sound like Porter when he was disguised?

This was the least emotional farewell for main characters I have ever watched, and I have seen them all. When Mysty left i cried and cried, when Brock left Ash was never the same, he was definitely changed, when Dawn left Ash lost a Interesting piece of himself, and when May and Max left Ash left behind a boy who admired him as much as Max father and his second female best friend May. Where was all of this in this episode? Where were the tears in my eyes and more importantly where were Ash's tears? I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY IRIRS LEFT SO SOON SHE IS CHASING HER DREAM BUT IS SELFISH? HOWEVER LEAVING FOR A FISHING COMPETITION IS RIDICULOUS! THIS episode does have its brigt sides though, first ash heads bqck to pallet, always nice, second Alexa was shown to be compassionate to children she knew for only a little while, third team rocket were decent kind of creepy when jessie pretended to be James. Over all eh good but not terrific could have been much better.

StaraptorZ said:
I disliked that they didn't dub the random JPN letter symbols at the train station that shows the schedule LOL they never do that (I call it lazy).

There weren't any Japanese letters in the episode.

OK let me be straight: Writers, what was that for?

Not only was the first part TOTALLY illogical and defied all the rules of physics I know, the second part was also bland and completely lacked that certain level of emotions you would expect when three good friends say goodbye to each other.

Really, I was so angry during the first part, I was thinking about switching off. Trying to spin around a damn huge CRUISE SHIP with only two steel ropes and a ridiculous submarine without an engine? Lifting said cruise ship with four balloons that were inflated as if by magic? SERIOUSLY???
I mean Unova had by far (!) the worst episodes of all, but this tops everything with regard to stupidity and lack of logic. No further comment on that. I'm simply outraged!

And finally the farewell scene: Three friend who've been traveling together for a long time have decided to say goodbye. You'd expect a few very emotional scenes with tears, sadness and all that, but no! Ash was like "Ok, Iris and Cilan are going to leave. So what? Let's move on".

As if the first part wasn't terrible enough already, but this emotionless, boring and unworthy farewell-scene only confirmed once again that Unova will go down in the history of Pokemon as probably the worst journey.

Anybody catch this line?

"I wanted a room with the perfect view but this is ridiculous."

the good-bye scene sure could have used some emotion, quite disappointed that Scraggy didn't get to say good-bye to Axew since they were so close to each other. Also would have been great if the whole Pokemon group could have been able to say good-bye to each other.

I did like Jessie's voice when she was trying to pretend she was James and switching back and forth, it was pretty amusing. It was pretty weird to hear a telephone ring as the warning for the train about to leave. Their disguises were probably the most obvious I've seen, a little bit of suspicion by Ash and his friends would have been nice to see, instead of assuming that it was just Jessie and not wondering where James was.

Quite a few disappointments, so I didn't like this episode very much. It did have a few interesting moments so I don't find it terrible, just so-so.

Well I was able to predict how team rockets plan would work out in the end. Here's how it went: 1. They came up with a plan to capture Ash, Iris, and Cilans pokemon. 2. They put the plan into action by lifting the ship up into the air. 3. When they thought their plan was a success Ash and his friends prevented them from leaving and ruined their plan. 4. Ash and his friends sent them blasting off for the millionth time. Anyway how is it that Alexa didn't feel the ship being lifted into the air? Is she really that oblivious? Also I think Iris may have been a little too enthusiastic about going to Johto I mean she didn't spend enough time in Kanto to really enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rush, rush, rush!!

I get that Cilan and Iris weren't exactly the most popular companions in the series or anything, but way to shove them under the rug in the last three minutes, there, writers! I hate to hate on BW, really, but... DP191 was so much better. At least Piplup was sad he was leaving.

I really wonder why they didn't shove Cilan out last episode if they were going to get rid of him this fast, anyway. It would at least make sense for him to go back to the gym with his brothers instead of a random fishing competition out in Hoenn with Mr. Briney (?!?!). Also, if he and Iris were going the same way, does that mean Hoenn is west of Kanto? Because I would think it'd be easier to just hop on a boat right at Vermillion to get there...

As for the Team Rocket plot, I liked the idea behind the sub thing more than the balloon one. I'm not really sure why the failed part of the plan was in the episode, though. Couldn't they have used those few extra minutes to, oh, I don't know, make the characters sad about leaving? I liked Jessie posing as both herself and James and Meowth's little vacuum thing, but they just took up way too much of the episode's valuable time.

Anyway, best wishes, Best Wishes! Can't say I've loved it, but there was enough good along the way to keep me watching. Only one more left.

This episode was perfect. It really did a great job of summing up everything about the Best Wishes saga. Ash and company where at their absolute peak of stupidity, falling for one of Team Rocket's worst plans ever and taking ages to stack the boxes. The departure scene not only was the most rushed thing I've ever seen, but lacked any sense of emotion as there would have been from the old companions leaving, proving once and for all this team wasn't as close as the old ones. Iris getting to Kanto and instantly wanting to leave for Johto? Genius. Cilan getting that scene last episode where he said he wanted to stay with Ash because he enjoyed traveling with him so much and then leaving for a fishing thing in Hoenn we've never heard about instantly? Brilliant. My only complaint is that Porter's voice had a bit too much effort in it, it almost sounded like they where actually trying to make him sound like a real person instead of just reading their script.

10/10, exactly the kind of episode this team deserved as their finale.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom