• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP01: Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Well, this is the very first opening TPCI has produced that is actually good. The humor remains in the fact it's not their original song, but the remix itself sounds good. I think they finally got an opening right. The choice of animation, the scene transitions, etc. Finally, I won't have to cringe at one of their openings.

Just saw the opening on YT and while it is probably the best TPCi opening, it felt kind of awkward at points, like when they cut out Mega Lucario yet left the Mega Evolution symbol in, and then towards the end in the last few seconds just felt. . Meh.

I definitely agree that scene the weakest part of the opening. It is awkward, because it looks like they forgot about editing that scene, and the symbol is just staggering there for a few seconds. They should've kept Lucario in; but, overall, yes, it is their best opening. I think the first half of it, when they show the main cast, is really solid.

HOT OFF THE PRESS: TPIC Makes a Decent Opening. It's a miracle, you guys.

Just goes to show that they were in a hurry to do the sneak preview, and edit any of the BGM.

Did they replace the Music just as Ash and Clemont began their battle?

Two questions.

1) Did they add the transition SFX in the title screen this time? I've noticed that even the Japanese Version has stopped using it, which is very odd. Why only use it a few times?

2) In the opening scene of Grace and Fletchling, there was some microphone static when Grace said "usual". Was this fixed?

I really liked the opening. First opening I've liked in a while. I would've liked the full version of the original, though. I still don't understand why the older episodes aired fine with the full opening, yet we still only have 30 second openings. But whatever.

My guess is that, nowadays, more networks advise short opening credits for the sake of being able to squeeze in more commercials and ads during breaks. It is definitely a shame. I prefer longer openings on any series I watch.

There were also a few changes in music where music was changed from the original version and where music was added where there previously wasn't. Other than that I think everything else was the same.

I'm upset that TPCi replaced most of the original BGM when such replacement wasn't necessary. The sneak peek kept most of the original music, and everything else just fell in line. Meanwhile, the new version was almost devoid of original BGM; I could only note 3 instances in which the music wasn't replaced.

It's a shame because most of the replaced music was either orchestrated from the game soundtrack, or was BGM from M15 that the dub kept during the film.

As a viewer, the music choice really makes a difference when played during certain scenes. I guess this episode's music selection is a strong indicator of what the dub will plan/has planned for future episodes.

As for the episode itself, most of the lines from the sneak peek were kept; others, such as Ash's conversation with the voice in the Lumiose Gym, were rerecorded.
Seriously TPCi? They were doing so well with keeping the music in the preview version. Well this proves that they have the rights to use the original score and just choose not to use it much like 4Kids did. Well as of now I have officially jumped ship from the dub. I will be Japanese only until they get their asses in gear. I did however like the new version of the original OP.

Music Replaced/Added:
1. First scene with Grace asking Fletchling to wake up.

2. Ash's plane landing in Kalos.

3. Ash talking to Alexa and seeing Spritzee.

4. Team Rocket watching Ash from afar.

5. Ash talking about Gym Battles with Alexa.

6. Ash seeing Mega Blaziken for the first time.

7. Ash and Pikachu inside the airport.

8. Alexa directing Ash to the Lumiose Gym.

9. Ash saying goodbye to Alexa and running down the road.

10. Ash being thrown out of Lumiose Gym.

11. Ash meeting Clemont and Bonnie.

12. The entire segment of "Who's That Pokémon?" has new music.

13. Clemont and Bonnie introducing themselves.

14. Clemont calling out Bunnelby.

15. Ash telling Clemont and Bonnie about Team Rocket.

16. Ash telling Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on Team Rocket.

17. Ash catching Pikachu from falling.

18. Ash telling Pikachu to use Electroball on Team Rocket.

19. Froakie using "Frubbles" on Team Rocket.

20. Froakie collapsing onto the ground.

Edited/Changed Dialogue:
1. (Ash, after saying goodbye to Alexa and running down the road):
Version 1: Alright, ha ha ha ha ha!
Version 2: Alright, Pikachu let's go!

2. (Ash, after Alexa says "Go get 'em Ash!)
Version 1: (Nothing was said).
Version 2: Ha ha ha ha ha!

3. The robotic voice has been changed, having a lower tone and and robotic effects added to it.

4. (Bonnie, talking to Ash and Pikachu)
Version 1: If you weren't, Pikachu wouldn't be sitting on your shoulder like that.
Version 2: If you weren't, Pikachu wouldn't be sitting on your head like that.
(TPCi actually corrected themselves, as Pikachu was sitting on Ash's head and not his shoulder during this scene. Also, I don't think anyone caught this error when it was first aired.).

5. (Ash, talking to Bonnie and Clemont)
Version 1: And that's the reason why we came here on our journey, looking for Gym Battles.
Version 2: We're continuing out journey, and looking for more Gym Battles.

6. (Ash, talking to Clemont after he takes out Bunnelby's Poké Ball)
Version 1: Please let me see! and then, let's battle!
Version 2: Oh please, can I see it? then, let's battle!

7. (Ash, after Bunnelby catches Pikachu's Iron Tail)
Yeah, it was good that you caught it, but now, it's too bad you can't use your ears!
(The line keeps the exact same dialogue in both versions, but it was re-dubbed.)

8. (Ash, directing his attention to Team Rocket)
Version 1: Alright, why would you do such a thing?
Version 2: Alright, what do you think you're doing?

Final Notes:

With all the editing that took place, TPCi forgot the "To Be Continued..." on the final scene.

Concerning the dub music, it's awful, and in my opinion, worse than what we've seen in the past. The worst was for the final scene, when everyone is taking Froakie to Professor Sycamore's. It sounds like old Victorian music and totally unfitting.

As for the new dialogue, I can't see anything wrong with it. It definitely doesn't make the episode worse than it already was, but the new music sure accomplishes that.

The worst part is, we were introduced to the new XY music first, so now watching it with this garbage selection, it's pretty much un-watchable for me.

Music Replaced/Added:
1. First scene with Grace asking Fletchling to wake up.

2. Ash's plane landing in Kalos.

3. Ash talking to Alexa and seeing Spritzee.

4. Team Rocket watching Ash from afar.

5. Ash talking about Gym Battles with Alexa.

6. Ash seeing Mega Blaziken for the first time.

7. Ash and Pikachu inside the airport.

8. Alexa directing Ash to the Lumiose Gym.

9. Ash saying goodbye to Alexa and running down the road.

10. Ash being thrown out of Lumiose Gym.

11. Ash meeting Clemont and Bonnie.

12. The entire segment of "Who's That Pokémon?" has new music.

13. Clemont and Bonnie introducing themselves.

14. Clemont calling out Bunnelby.

15. Ash telling Clemont and Bonnie about Team Rocket.

16. Ash telling Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on Team Rocket.

17. Ash catching Pikachu from falling.

18. Ash telling Pikachu to use Electroball on Team Rocket.

19. Froakie using "Frubbles" on Team Rocket.

20. Froakie collapsing onto the ground.

Edited/Changed Dialogue:
1. (Ash, after saying goodbye to Alexa and running down the road):
Version 1: Alright, ha ha ha ha ha!
Version 2: Alright, Pikachu let's go!

2. (Ash, after Alexa says "Go get 'em Ash!)
Version 1: (Nothing was said).
Version 2: Ha ha ha ha ha!

3. The robotic voice has been changed, having a lower tone and and robotic effects added to it.

4. (Bonnie, talking to Ash and Pikachu)
Version 1: If you weren't, Pikachu wouldn't be sitting on your shoulder like that.
Version 2: If you weren't, Pikachu wouldn't be sitting on your head like that.
(TPCi actually corrected themselves, as Pikachu was sitting on Ash's head and not his shoulder during this scene. Also, I don't think anyone caught this error when it was first aired.).

5. (Ash, talking to Bonnie and Clemont)
Version 1: And that's the reason why we came here on our journey, looking for Gym Battles.
Version 2: We're continuing out journey, and looking for more Gym Battles.

6. (Ash, talking to Clemont after he takes out Bunnelby's Poké Ball)
Version 1: Please let me see! and then, let's battle!
Version 2: Oh please, can I see it? then, let's battle!

7. (Ash, after Bunnelby catches Pikachu's Iron Tail)
Yeah, it was good that you caught it, but now, it's too bad you can't use your ears!
(The line keeps the exact same dialogue in both versions, but it was re-dubbed.)

8. (Ash, directing his attention to Team Rocket)
Version 1: Alright, why would you do such a thing?
Version 2: Alright, what do you think you're doing?

Final Notes:

With all the editing that took place, TPCi forgot the "To Be Continued..." on the final scene.

Concerning the dub music, it's awful, and in my opinion, worse than what we've seen in the past. The worst was for the final scene, when everyone is taking Froakie to Professor Sycamore's. It sounds like old Victorian music and totally unfitting.

As for the new dialogue, I can't see anything wrong with it. It definitely doesn't make the episode worse than it already was, but the new music sure accomplishes that.

The worst part is, we were introduced to the new XY music first, so now watching it with this garbage selection, it's pretty much un-watchable for me.

Wow, they really want to destroy the Dub with the first episode? :O

Thanks for listing the BGM/Dialogue changes.

Is there anywhere that I can watch the episode from today and not the sneak preview one?

I was expecting them to go back to dub music after like five episodes, or even the third episode but this is just sad.

Like even if it was a rush job to get the sneak preview out, why didn't they just leave them alone and go on to the next episode? Surely it was a lot of work to edit the music after the dub was already completed?

Wait... Was that seriously dub music they used? it sounded incredible, and it sounds like real instruments were used! What the hell!!

If this is the quality of dub music we have, then i wouldn't mind them changing the ost at all.

EliteTrainerXeos said:
Just goes to show that they were in a hurry to do the sneak preview, and edit any of the BGM.

Then they need to be in a hurry more often.

Seriously, going to the trouble to go back to an already finished episode and deciding to fuck it up by replacing video game music that we're all familiar with...Yash is right, the Pokemon dub really is a lost cause.

Is *this* the reason there was that big gap between the final BW episode and this first XY one?

EliteTrainerXeos said:

Seriously, going to the trouble to go back to an already finished episode and deciding to fuck it up by replacing video game music that we're all familiar with...Yash is right, the Pokemon dub really is a lost cause.

Is *this* the reason there was that big gap between the final BW episode and this first XY one?
I'm thinking so, like I said I'm done with the dub. It's 2014 and I can't believe this is still an issue with the dub.

- The dubbers go back and replace almost all of an already aired episode's music score with their own, awfully sounding crap
- The few pieces of original BGM kept gets its volume lowered to the point where it's barely hearable

My god, the dubbers really must hate Shinji Miyazaki's work.

As for the episode itself, it's quite good for a region opener. I really liked the Ash vs Clemont battle. And it was nice that Wobbuffet gets to see some action right away instead of just being in the background.

My god, the dubbers really must hate Shinji Miyazaki's work.

Then why bother using any JPN music at all?

And feel free to lynch me but... the dub music here actually seem halfway good. Far from amazing believe me...

The dub music is okay; I liked a few of the pieces and it's not nearly as bad as what TPCi made during Diamond and Pearl.

But it's really just the fact that not only are they still replacing music, but they did it to an episode that already had an unaltered soundtrack.

On a side note, I genuinely enjoy Clemont's dub voice... I think it'll probably end up being the strongest for the new characters, although Serena obviously hasn't had enough dub airtime.

On a side note, I genuinely enjoy Clemont's dub voice... I think it'll probably end up being the strongest for the new characters, although Serena obviously hasn't had enough dub airtime.

I thought his acting was fine, but he sounds like a grown-ass man. It seems like it's a dub tradition for boys around Ash's age to sound way older than him, though.

I thought his acting was fine, but he sounds like a grown-ass man. It seems like it's a dub tradition for boys around Ash's age to sound way older than him, though.

To be fair, his Japanese voice is pretty deep, too.

Not near as much as his dub voice though. I don't dislike his dub voice, I just prefer the original.

EliteTrainerXeos said:

I'm not even necessarily opposed to mixing in dub music here and there, like replacing vocal songs or whatever.

But they only kept three tracks? Why do they even bother keeping any of the original music at all? What's the point? It's like the Zatch Bell dub where they'd keep one piece of music in one episode and everything in the next. There's no consistency or logic to it so why is there this weird mix? Who at TPCI is calling the shots and being like "Okay, we can keep some of the Japanese music in this episode. But not ALL of it! So help me god!"

I mean I'm guessing the MO of TPCI's Pokemon dub has always been to just keep rolling with whatever 4Kids was doing, and you can at least commend them for being consistent, except they seem to be more concerned with retaining their worst elements than their best.

Considering Citron is only a few years older than Satoshi, I think Yuuki Kaji's voice fits him perfectly. It's not as deep Takeshi and Dent's voices, who are both probably in their late teens.

On a side note, I really like Haven Paschall as Serena. Her voice acting is surprisingly believable.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom