• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP01: Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Is it just me, or did the Gym computer (Citroid, right?) sound a bit different this time than in the "sneak preview" back in October? The voice sounded a bit deeper. If so, wonder why the switch in VA/tone.

Anyway, glad to see this series is finally airing in the states. About time, too, as I've been looking forward to this for a while now.

It's possible they rushed the dub for the preview version and ended up redubbing at least some parts of the first two episodes for their final version
I think people also noticed differences between the "sneak peek" and final versions of the first two AG eps
So, what about the opening? did they manage to get all the lyrics in there? and did anyone notice any other changes from the preview version?

It's possible they rushed the dub for the preview version and ended up redubbing at least some parts of the first two episodes for their final version
I think people also noticed differences between the "sneak peek" and final versions of the first two AG eps
So, what about the opening? did they manage to get all the lyrics in there? and did anyone notice any other changes from the preview version?

The opening was cut short. Pretty much what we got in the first trailer along with some of the final verse.

I also noticed a few changes in dialogue in the scene where Clemont, and Bonnie were introducing themselves and Ash was explaining why he went to the Kalos reigon. There were also a few changes in music where music was changed from the original version and where music was added where there previously wasn't. Other than that I think everything else was the same.

The opening was cut short. Pretty much what we got in the first trailer along with some of the final verse.

I also noticed a few changes in dialogue in the scene where Clemont, and Bonnie were introducing themselves and Ash was explaining why he went to the Kalos reigon. There were also a few changes in music where music was changed from the original version and where music was added where there previously wasn't. Other than that I think everything else was the same.

I'm hoping they make a full version of the opening available, I really like the guitar in it.

The volume of the BGM was VERY low, even by dub standards. I wish they'd just leave the music well enough alone. :(

aww didn't the preview version keep all the music? too bad they couldn't at least leave it that way for the final version, even if only for these two eps and later go back to their usual ways... sigh

There were also a few changes in music where music was changed from the original version and where music was added where there previously wasn't. Other than that I think everything else was the same.
Ugggggh are you serious?

Pokemon dub is a lost cause.

There were also a few changes in music where music was changed from the original version and where music was added where there previously wasn't. Other than that I think everything else was the same.
Ugggggh are you serious?

Pokemon dub is a lost cause.

Well, on a positive note I thought the acting was better than TCPi's average. I'm still going to stick with the Japanese version for the most part though.

So, it's not even like in the BW series where they at least left the music intact during the first episodes. I can't believe it. Oh, who am I kidding, I believe it. Forget about Pokémon Theme being the intro, I'm still sick of this dub. The worst part is that their changes have negative effect in the worldwide dubbing of Pokémon, and that makes less people become interested in the anime (believe me, I've seen a lot of people who were mostly eager for XY because of game music being used (those people didn't watched the Japanese version before, so they didn't know better)).

About Citroid, perhaps it was changed to match the actual voice of Citroid instead of that of Clemont's. Nobody noticed how in the Japanese and preview English of XY001, Citroid is voiced with Clemont's voice tune, while in XY009 it has a different voice?

Well, this is the very first opening TPCI has produced that is actually good. The humor remains in the fact it's not their original song, but the remix itself sounds good. I think they finally got an opening right. The choice of animation, the scene transitions, etc. Finally, I won't have to cringe at one of their openings.

Well, this is the very first opening TPCI has produced that is actually good. The humor remains in the fact it's not their original song, but the remix itself sounds good. I think they finally got an opening right. The choice of animation, the scene transitions, etc. Finally, I won't have to cringe at one of their openings.

Just saw the opening on YT and while it is probably the best TPCi opening, it felt kind of awkward at points, like when they cut out Mega Lucario yet left the Mega Evolution symbol in, and then towards the end in the last few seconds just felt. . Meh.

I'm upset that TPCi replaced most of the original BGM when such replacement wasn't necessary. The sneak peek kept most of the original music, and everything else just fell in line. Meanwhile, the new version was almost devoid of original BGM; I could only note 5 instances in which the music wasn't replaced.

It's a shame because most of the replaced music was either orchestrated from the game soundtrack, or was BGM from M15 that the dub kept during the film.

As a viewer, the music choice really makes a difference when played during certain scenes. I guess this episode's music selection is a strong indicator of what the dub will plan/has planned for future episodes.

As for the episode itself, most of the lines from the sneak peek were kept; others, such as Ash's conversation with the voice in the Lumiose Gym, were rerecorded.

Last edited:

Just saw the opening on YT and while it is probably the best TPCi opening, it felt kind of awkward at points, like when they cut out Mega Lucario yet left the Mega Evolution symbol in, and then towards the end in the last few seconds just felt. . Meh.

I definitely agree that scene the weakest part of the opening. It is awkward, because it looks like they forgot about editing that scene, and the symbol is just staggering there for a few seconds. They should've kept Lucario in; but, overall, yes, it is their best opening. I think the first half of it, when they show the main cast, is really solid.

HOT OFF THE PRESS: TPIC Makes a Decent Opening. It's a miracle, you guys.

At long last we get a decent opening to the English dub :D Its pretty refreshing to hear a remixed version of the original Pokemon theme after the 3 terrible dub themes in Best Wishes. I do wish though that we got the full thing. On the subject of the dub, I think it sounds alright, though I can't say much about Serena's voice just yet. She's gotta have more screen time before I can really judge her dub voice. I did notice that a few lines were re-recorded also though and also, I could care less about the music being replaced.

I really liked the opening. First opening I've liked in a while. I would've liked the full version of the original, though. I still don't understand why the older episodes aired fine with the full opening, yet we still only have 30 second openings. But whatever.

As for the episode itself, I didn't notice the changes between the first version and this one. Guess I'm not very perceptive. At this point I really don't care if they change the music, since I don't watch the Japanese version of the show anyway.

hopefully next season they'll do a remix of Pokemon world which i found to be better than the Pokemon theme and this remake.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom