• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP01: Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

The Keldeo movie soundtrack is amazing, I have no idea what you're going on about.

VideoGamer54321 said:
I just wish that some people would stop complaining about the music change and just enjoy the episode.

Most of the people in this thread have already talked about the episode, in-depth, back when it first aired. Both with the Japanese version *and* the special sneak peek English version. Ash's personality, Clemont and Bonnie, the battle between Clemont and Ash, Team Rocket, Froakie...it's all been discussed, over and over and over.

So when a new version of an episode comes along and changes something that a lot of fans feel passionate about then yes, we will complain about it. Maybe the music isn't important to *you*, and maybe it doesn't matter to *you* if it gets replaced or not, but for a lot of us it actually is a huge part of the show.

The Keldeo movie soundtrack is amazing, I have no idea what you're going on about.

VideoGamer54321 said:
I just wish that some people would stop complaining about the music change and just enjoy the episode.

Most of the people in this thread have already talked about the episode, in-depth, back when it first aired. Both with the Japanese version *and* the special sneak peek English version. Ash's personality, Clemont and Bonnie, the battle between Clemont and Ash, Team Rocket, Froakie...it's all been discussed, over and over and over.

So when a new version of an episode comes along and changes something that a lot of fans feel passionate about then yes, we will complain about it. Maybe the music isn't important to *you*, and maybe it doesn't matter to *you* if it gets replaced or not, but for a lot of us it actually is a huge part of the show.

I show the episode and even though I detet at least 4 pieces of original BGM (they could be more) the volume was so low that it's barely audible. You notice that there's music, but in many parts of the episode I only notice a small tune that sometimes I aren't able to identificate. And my biggest surprise is that this low volume music happens all the episode, even with the dub music. And when I said low, I said low, low.

This is really a disappointment. TPCi continues to amaze with their faithfulness to the Japanese version. Unfortunately, this isn't the 1st time TPCi has gone back and added dub music to an episode that's already aired. And lowering the volume of the background music so that it's barely audible is still a thing, I see.

I just wish that some people would stop complaining about the music change and just enjoy the episode. I just watched it yesterday and it was very good. I could care less about the music change because I don't even watch the Japanese version.

Good for you that you don't care about it, but on a forum like this people are free to discuss whatever they want. I just wish that some people would recognize that. You are aware that this episode aired 3 months ago as a Sneak Peek right? Like Dogasu said, a lot of people have already seen the episode and discussed it in and out, so you're not going to see too much praising of the episode here, since it's already been done. The music replacement is something brand new in this edition of the episode, so people would naturally discuss it.

Not sure why I watched it again D:. Maybe I just wanted to see Serena again for the whole 5 seconds she's on screen.

Wait... Was that seriously dub music they used? it sounded incredible, and it sounds like real instruments were used! What the hell!!

If this is the quality of dub music we have, then i wouldn't mind them changing the ost at all.

I agree that the dub has better sounding instruments for their dub music, but it totally changed the mood of this episode. I'm not sure I like the change but I will have to see this series played through to make a good decision.

As a watcher of both the Japanese and dub versions, I have no problem with either version of this episode. However, as I do watch the dub, I can see why some people would be, ahem, concerned about the questionable music and dialogue changes, as was the case with this particular episode.

I just saw the "official" (blegh) version and it sounded like TPCI kept 6 tracks.

- The music during the intro
- The episode title card theme
- The music when Ash first arrives at Prism Tower
- Two tracks during Ash and Clemont's battle
- Team Rocket's motto theme

A little better than the average Black & White episode, but you know, when you start with 100%... sigh.

Plus the music (both Japanese and dub-added) is so quiet you can hardly tell anyway!

Am I the only one here who doesn't consider the dub music to be borderline make-or-break? True, it's not as good as it was back in the early seasons, but that's a side issue for me.
Well for one they've already aired these first two episodes with all of the music intact, so that they went back and changed it is kind of a dickpunch.

I also think the make-or-breakness between some people is partially because this is the 6th generation of Pokemon when it comes to Pokemon episodes, and the 9th season for TPCI (17th in total), so for dubbers not to keep the score by this point has just made them give up on Pokemon as an English dub, or at least be very frustrated, BGM-wise. Basically the frustration has been built up for them.

Also the music in the Japanese version is special because for the most part, it's lifted straight out of the video games. The music in the dub is humdrum crap that has no connection to Pokemon.

Meh... for me, there's way too much non-game based Japanese background music in Pokemon, that I like, for me to mainly point to the game-based music as to why I think the Japanese music is special.

PropellorYoshi1808 said:
But it's really just the fact that not only are they still replacing music, but they did it to an episode that already had an unaltered soundtrack.

That's how it is for me. I know the Pokemon anime isn't treated the same, English dub-wise, as many anime dub-wise, but if I thought Pokemon's score could be changed as long as its dub music was good to me, then I might as well say that for many other anime as well.

I haven't seen the the most recently-debuted version of this dub episode, and at least based on what I've heard, Japanese music-wise, I still generally prefer the background music from up through Advanced Generation (so not as much 4th gen on, anime-wise). That said, I still wish they'd kept the episode's score in tact and just have all the Japanese score since that's the original score. Then again, I am not in the target audience, so...

Although... who were they mainly aiming at, making a redone version of the original English Pokemon theme song?

PropellorYoshi1808 said:
It was one thing when they did it back during season 9 when they wanted to make the dub transition as smooth and unnoticeable as possible,

Even with this, though, I think the large set of voice-changes between Seasons 8 and 9 were more rough of a transition for people than a hypothetical music change where they would have used all of, and only, Japanese BGM.

Last edited:
I get that what they keep doing with the music is a problem, but I wish I had someone to discuss the actual episode with. *sigh*

I know I'm probably the only one, but back when the first 2 episodes first aired as a sneak peek I didn't watch them because I didn't wanna get too excited and then have to wait over 3 months for more new dub episodes. :/

Even with this, though, I think the large set of voice-changes between Seasons 8 and 9 were more rough of a transition for people than a hypothetical music change where they would have used all of, and only, Japanese BGM.
This is a really good point considering Japanese bgm has always been in the dub. And up through Johto 4Kids would actually keep most of it.

I wonder if 4Kids would have ever gotten to the point where they'd phase out Japanese bgm from the show entirely. The tracks kept count gets really low near the end of Hoenn, while TPCI is usually slightly better and will (randomly) keep all of the music in an episode every now and then.

A nice start of Ash's new adventure! Let's just hope Kalos will turn out to be much better than B/W was.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom