• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP02: Lumiose City Pursuit!

In the US a new episode has airing. Can you answer this questions.
1) How loud is the volume of the BGM?
-Very Low
-Low
-Middle
-High
-Very High

2) How Japanese BGM is kept in the episode?
-All the Japanese BGM is kept and no dub music added (XY 1-2).
-All most or all Japanese BGM is kept but dub music is added to fill silence.
-The dub replaces a lot of the BGM in the episode.
And if the dub is replaced, the dub music is in par with the original?

In the US a new episode has airing. Can you answer this questions.
1) How loud is the volume of the BGM?
-Very Low
-Low
-Middle
-High
-Very High

2) How Japanese BGM is kept in the episode?
-All the Japanese BGM is kept and no dub music added (XY 1-2).
-All most or all Japanese BGM is kept but dub music is added to fill silence.
-The dub replaces a lot of the BGM in the episode.
And if the dub is replaced, the dub music is in par with the original?

1) The music didn't seem too loud to me, but I think there were about two scenes where it was rather quiet.
2) They changed a lot of the music from the original airing here as well. I think there may have been 2-3 instances where the music was left the same, but I'm not 100% sure. As for being on par with the original, it depends on who you ask. I know a lot of people were unhappy with the changes made to the last episode, but I personally didn't have any problems with the new music in either instance.

In before the pro Japanese BGM brigade.

Anyways, i wish this had have aired back to back, as this episode was obviously made to be a 2 parter. It was much better then the first episode, and i found the music choices appropriate, TPCI has really lifted their game when it comes to the musical score. And i'm impressed.

9.5/10

Again, I'm not sure how much music was changed or kept, but it didn't affect my view of the episode. But it does seem that "Who's That Pokemon?" may have a different theme each time as I'm sure Spritzee's before the break music was not the same music Froakie had. After the break reveal of the Pokemon music was the same.

This was still fun to watch the second time around. Can't wait until we really start next week

I agree with the dub music compliments. It sounds more natural and flows better than before. I love the Japanese soundtrack (even have a nice collection imported CDs) and think it should be kept, but I wasn't bothered by the changes. A problem I, and I'm sure others, had with the dub music in the past was how obviously out of place/corny it could be, and very often was, especially when used in conjunction with the original soundtrack. Here, I didn't think it was distracting or anything... it blended in. It's like the level of quality as a whole was raised.
One piece that I liked in particular was the music used in the recap. There were a couple of other nice ones as well.

The only issue I have is the same one that has persisted since Diamond & Pearl: both the dub and original music volume is just way too low. The music is barely audible at times.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or did the dub music that played while the narrator was recapping last episode's event sound like something from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon?

And what the hell is going on with the "Whos's That Pokémon?" music? The first half featured new dub music that wasn't the same as last episode's segment and the second half retained the original Japanese music.

Last edited:
And what the hell is going on with the "Whos's That Pokémon?" music? The first half featured new dub music that wasn't the same as last episode's segment and the second half retained the original Japanese music.
Don't worry John Loeffler and his team of monkeys hammering on keyboards will fix that for the DVD release.

This was a terrific episode but Professor Sycamore looked kinda hungover and sounded way different then I thought he would. I didn't picture Sycamore to have such a deep voice.

A good, action-packed episode!
I liked Professor Sycamore. Not only did he get some good design, he also seems to have an interesting character and a pleasant voice .
But, of course, what I liked most was that they started off a new adventure with the appearance of a Pokemon (Garchomp) that once again reminded me of the greatest character in Pokemon ever, Cynthia!
I just hope we'll soon get to see Mega Garchomp

Anyone else (pleasantly) surprised that the "machine gun" sound effect from Garchomp's Hyper Beams inside the lab was kept? I thought for sure they'd edit that out.

Don't worry John Loeffler and his team of monkeys hammering on keyboards will fix that for the DVD release.

Ed Goldfarb is the new dub composer, actually. He has some catching up to do before I'd say he's as great as John Loeffler and Ralph Shuckett were. Still, he's been doing great so far.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom