• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP03: A Battle of Aerial Mobility!

Is it just me, or did Sycamore get a new voice at the end? The other guy sure didn't last long.

The thing that stood out to me most is Ash battling and catching Fletchling. It was exactly what I'd expect of him--he thought on his feet, used the environment to his advantage, and worked well with Froakie's strengths. (That frubble decoy was particularly clever.) And most of all, he didn't try catching the Fletchling without battling it. (Even though James succeeded with Inkay. Go figure.) Good thing this latest reset was much softer than the BW one. And he even did the hat thing. That and the theme song suggest that TPTB are once again trying to recapture past glories. Hope it works better than BW.

It's early, very early, but I'm feeling wary of Serena and her potential "I knew Ash before anyone so I'm his oldest friend retroactively" card.

I know we're supposed to be avoiding all the heat and controversy that came with the Unova series, and I know people might say "Ugggghhhh he's a genwunner", but I don't think I am. I just don't want Serena's presence to be undermining to the history that Ash has with all of his other traveling companions. From the way way back times.

EDIT:

Good thing this latest reset was much softer than the BW one. And he even did the hat thing. That and the theme song suggest that TPTB are once again trying to recapture past glories. Hope it works better than BW.

I'm noticing this too. But it's coming off as kind of a reboot, in my eyes. Like they're starting from the beginning.

It's early, very early, but I'm feeling wary of Serena and her potential "I knew Ash before anyone so I'm his oldest friend retroactively" card.

I know we're supposed to be avoiding all the heat and controversy that came with the Unova series, and I know people might say "Ugggghhhh he's a genwunner", but I don't think I am. I just don't want Serena's presence to be undermining to the history that Ash has with all of his other traveling companions. From the way way back times.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with this.

Finally, the long, agonizing wait is over! New episodes officially begin! Anyway, on to the review. I loved this episode! This series is really getting off to a great start!

Serena was funny in the beginning saying that the hat her mother didn't choose would be the cuter one. These two have an...interesting dynamic.

I loved the way Clemont and Bonnie joined Ash's group with Clemont's admiration of Ash and wanting to get stronger and more confidant. The group putting their hands together as they agreed to travel together was adorable; especially when they kneeled down for Bonnie and the Pokémon. Speaking of Bonnie, she was so cute when she was tugging at Clemont's sleeve asking to keep Dedenne and then hugging Froakie. And man, Dedenne is so puny. I mean, I knew it was small, but geez.

I love Clemont! First of all, I love the way he said, "You see the future is now thanks to science". So sexy. Second of all, he is hilarious! The way he kept looking down at his machine while winding it wondering why it wasn't working. Then he kept doing so when the Beedrill were going after them. I like how he was upset after his invention exploded and then had to be cheered up by Ash.

I'm really liking Froakie. It was so sweet the way he battled Fletchling after it made Bonnie sad. The Froakie vs. Fletchling battle was cool. Froakie seems super smart. I love how he made a "Frubble Froakie" as a decoy to get attacked so he could sneak up on Fletchling. Bonnie scolding Fletchling and then forgiving it was cute.

And finally it looks like Serena is about to pick her starter. I wonder which one it'll be? As if the intro didn't already tell us:)

Great episode. Loving the series so far. 9/10.

Last edited:

Serena met Ash way before any of the other people so far, I'm worried that she might be considered, like, one of Ash's oldest friends or something like that.

My First Review for the English DUB in a while. This Episode was pretty Good I Thought and I Liked it.

Ash using Strategy to Catvh Fletchling, THIS IS THE OLD Ash I USED TO KNOW BACK IN OS AND AG IMO.

Clemont and Bonnie, entertaining but Alyson Rosenfield as Bonnie I STILL Feel Like is a MisCast and Sounds Weird, Michael Liscio Jr. as Clemont Good.

Team Rocket was Ok, they are NOT Good but I Like seeing Wobbuffet Back. Inkay was Cool BUT I DID NOT HEAR IT'S VOICE Well because it BARELY SAID IT'S NAME.

Nurse Joy's XY Design NOT BAD, but who ever Voiced her Sounded like a 6 Year Old Girl, and I FOUND THAT VERY WEIRD,

The Plot was Decent, Ash trying to Catch Fletchling was Entertaining I Thought and Froiakie sort of NOT Listening to Ash, like they said Last Episode, it did NOT Obey it's Previous Trainers but after a while, it Started to Listen to Ash's Commands.

Dednne, Meh it was Ok but we know it Follows them because End of Episode it Shows it Hiding Behind a Rock Following Bonnie and Comp.

The Kalos PokeDex ACTUALLY HAD A GOOD VOICE WOW, I was really Surprised out hope Well Alyson Rosenfield was as the Kalos PokeDex, it Sounded like her BW Nurse Joy Voice.

Froakie was VERY GOOD, and Billy bob Thompson again as Froakie, MOST IMPRESSIVE

Professor Oak Cameo was alright, DID NOT LIKE Catchcart as usual as Oak but seeing Oak Again does make Me Happy, and Rotom OH MY GOD THIS THING IS SOOOOOOOOOO HILARIOUS. Giovanni Cameo was also NOT BAD and Ed Paul Sounded Weird today but still Good

Serena, VERY Good I thought, LOL the Scene with her and her Mother with the Hat was Entertsining showing that sometimes they Don't Get Along, Her Starting tom pick out her Starter was Good, and SHE WAS VERY HAPPY THAT IT IS Ash, LOL NOW SHE HAS TO CATCH UP TO HIM LOL. I REALLY Liked Haven Paschall as Serena now, I had Doubts because of her 2 Previous Performances but she was Good so I Liked That.

A Good Script, Good vices and I just had Fun so I will Give this Episode an 8.5 VERY SATISFYING FOR Me.

Is it just me or is tpci's dialog writing getting better? I mean some of Ash and Bonnie's lines were witty in the same vain as 4kids.

Serena met Ash way before any of the other people so far, I'm worried that she might be considered, like, one of Ash's oldest friends or something like that.

From what I've gathered, they only knew each other briefly, possibly not enough to be considered friends.

All I can really say about this episode that's negative is seeing Wigglytuff. X/Y series Wigglytuff is really creepy in design.

Professor Oak's new voice sounds weird, Rotom is funny. When I heard Clemont yell "Ash" off screen, I was like "Who is that?". Then I was like "oh it's Clemont". When Clemont yells his voice becomes deeper and scarier.

Finally! New episode review!! It’s been so long since I’ve done one of these~

First of all, that Wigglytuff was freakin’ scary! What the hell was with its huge derp face? That thing was terrifying.

Anyway, I liked the beginning and how Clemont and Bonnie decided to go with Ash. It reminded me of how Usopp joined Luffy’s crew.

It looks like Team Rocket is still somewhat like their original serious BW selves, which looks good so far. And honestly, their behavior in the rest of the episode was pretty good, too. I found it pretty funny for the most part. It was also a quick catch with Inkay, though; it is their job to obtain Pokémon, so I guess it makes sense. I wonder if it’ll evolve seeing as Malamar’s supposed to be a pretty evil Pokémon.

That Dedenne was adorable. I never thought it was so small. Well, I mean, of course I did, but seeing it just makes it seem all the more rodent-like.

Also, when Clemont said, “Fletchling ate the berry.” It sounded like game dialogue. Like “Fletchling restored HP” or something. It just sounded funny the way he said it.

Dedenne was so cute when it was about to cry! I was so mad at Fletchling. And then Bonnie was about to cry and it was just too cute how she was sad for it...even though it hit her in the face.

I can’t tell if the “Who’s That Pokémon?” music changed again. The first part sounded the same as last week’s, or at least similar. But this time the second part changed. I like it, personally. Adds some variety.

Awesome how Froakie wanted to fight for Bonnie because she was sad. Froakie is so cool like that. He didn’t even want the others to get involved.

Clemont is so weird. Why would he keep turning the handle if it wasn’t working (or at least, not in a good way)? Seriously, common sense says to stop! Though, I did like the chasing scene. Reminds me of the old OS days.

Bonnie is adorable in herself when she said she had no idea what any of what they were saying meant. I really like that about her. Max seemed like such a little smartass all the time, so I like the contrast with Bonnie and how she actually acts like a child.

How they mock me by having Ash turn his hat around for two seconds. Those bastards.

Well whatever, Fletchling was caught…and it’s tiny, too! These Kalos Pokémon are so small.

Did I mention I like how Froakie, though exhausted, still high-fived Pikachu? They’re already having interesting interactions.

And now Serena’s going to find her long lost lover after telling her mother she has no fashion sense. What a nice daughter. -3- But, how did her mom expect her to practice Rhyhorn racing when she didn’t take a Rhyhorn with her? Guess she expects her to go catch one?

Overall, this was a great episode. I can’t think of anything that I disliked about it. Though, I wouldn’t call it perfect, so how about an 8/10?

I really enjoyed this episode, it was really well written and enjoyable.

I only have a few specific points:
-I love the chemistry between each of the group members have already. I'm still getting used to how the show pronounces "Clemont", it's not pronounced the way I expected it to be.
-The way Wiggytuff is animated in XY really bothers me. It looks very...unsettling.
-The BGM was not a big deal for me at all. I thought everything fit nicely, and wasn't too over/underwhelming.
-Loving Team Rocket so far. They weren't too silly, but they weren't too serious either which I appreciate.

I like this new group already.

I also like that the battles are still nice and exciting without being quite as overblown as they felt in the first two eps. I'd like to see them keep this level of energy for a while.

What the hell is TCPi's problem? They completely took out all of the battle music for this episode, while adding dub music that can barely be heard in the background over the character's voices. This was a really great episode in the Japanese version, but wow the dub completely killed it. Not to mention, Fletchling sounds less fierce then it did originally. It's like as the years go on, the dub will only get worse and worse.

I like the voices of the cast though...

I loved this episode :), it was awesome!!! Fletchling was pretty sweet and I loved the way they changed the pokedex voice to something that doesn't make me want to stab my ears. So far so good dub <3!!!

I LOVED this episode! I enjoyed it just as much as I did when I watched it subbed, if not more. I really like Serena's dub voice and also the Pokedex voice. Although Nurse Joy's voice kind of bugged me.

I'm pretty sure Suzy Myers is the voice of the Pokédex. She was even credited in the credits.

And it seems TPCi is now removing the "To Be Continued..." logos.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Suzy Myers is the voice of the Pokédex. She was even credited in the credits.

And it seems TPCi is now removing the "To Be Continued..." logos.

Amazing how they can remove that, but they don't replace the jibberish text the animators have put in, and replaced them with english text.. i mean, what's the bother?

Not to mention that the final scene pauses are even more awkward now without the logo. It'll take so getting used to since this seems to be a continuous trend.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom