• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP05: A Blustery Santalune Gym Battle!

This episode was pretty good. It's a shame that Ash lost his first Kalos Gym battle, but he did his best. I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode, though. I just want to know who voices Serena's Fennekin. It sounds pretty cute.

Really liked this episode.

Why is it that with each episode I love Clemont and Bonnie more and more? Clemont is so adorable with his slow running and falling on the ground. And Bonnie asking Viola to marry Clemont. So cute! Though I do still find it odd that Bonnie wants to look for a bride for Clemont now when he’s still like 10 years old. And I wonder why she feels that someone needs to take care of him. Hm. Regardless, it’s adorable and hilarious. Hm, so Ash had no idea where to go for the battle. Well at least the fountain spraying water out at that moment looked cool and made for the lack of a plan.

Now for the battle. I thought it was good. I would have hoped to see Pikachu do more against Surskit before going down, but he put up an okay fight nonetheless. Though I wished Ash would have switched out to Fletchling after Surskit made the ice field with Pikachu slipping around so much. But still, it was also great to see Fletchling get a win nonetheless. And seriously, Ash must have been deeply enthralled in that battle if he didn’t notice Serena when he looked up to see Fletching in the Sticky Web, or when he ran out of the gym. He even left his entire backpack.

And ya know…during that gym battle…I almost could have sworn that the referee…sounded a bit like…Ir…no. It couldn’t be. Ahem, moving on.

Serena, finally she meets up with these guys! I didn't expect her to be so nervous around Ash, though. And OMG…Ash remembered the different Nurse Joys. He actually remembered something from previous journeys. I was so happy during that moment.

What the hell did Noivern say when it came out of that Pokeball? I mean seriously I was like WTF. It sounded like the freakin’ Tazmanian Devil. Geez. That was just so shocking to me. Anywhoo, last but not least, I'm SOOOOOO glad that Team Rocket didn't show up! Made the episode even better.

Can't wait for the rematch next week. Great episode overall 9/10.

Last edited:
Alright, Review Time, this Episode was Pretty Good, with a few Complaints but I STILL Liked the Episode.

Ash was Good in this Episode, he was thinking of how he Lost, His Strategy was Good IMO.

Clemont and Bonnie were alright I thought. Bonnie doing a Proposal, yeah some People might think it's Cute, well NOT to Me, IT LOOKED IT WAS A COMPLETE RIPOFF OF Brock Flirting with Girls.

Viola was Alright but the Voice, eh NOT too Great IMO, I think this was Suzy Myers who Voiced Viola who did Burgundy, but she was Meh but REALLY she said "FYI" that was uncalled for.

Alexa was COOL to see her Again and Jessica Paquet Sounded GREAT AS ALWAYS. Helioptile Jumping on Ash was HILARIOUS. Seeing Noivern again was a Blast too.

Is it just Me or did seem like they were Pronouncing Vivillon Wrong?

Nurse Joy was U know, just there, Jennifer who Voices her was WRONG.

Serena, probably the BEST Part to Me at least, maybe in almost all the Scenes it seemed like a lot of AmourShipping but it was NOT TOO BAD, Serena going to Ash without Realizing he was in a Battle would have been PRICELESS to see. Serena asking Ash if he Remembered her and the CliffHanger Ending was Good.

Overral I will Give it an 8.8 just a few Problems but NOT A LOT Problems I Saw at Least.

Alright, the first Gym Battle. Let's hope it's good.

First of all, Clemont really needs to get into athletics. Is he gonna be slowing us down all the time? Also Ash is hilarious again. This man had no idea where he was going and made it funny, rather than stupid like in BW. Also, background fountain is awesome.

Ash was shocked Viola was Alexis’ sister. So…the weird-ass hair curl didn’t give it away?

Wow, Bonnie said: “Please take care of my brother.” That…doesn’t sound right….somehow. It is adorable though, glad that’s gonna become a thing.

So Serena’s on her way during her grand stalker journey. I love how Serena thinks someone would remember her after 19,000 years. Especially since they met as kids. Kids don't have that good of a memory of people they meet for ONE DAY!

Again, I have to say, I love the animation, especially for gym battles. It’s just so shiny and awesome looking. And I adorble how they show the VS screen.

I don’t blame Ash for struggling. That Surskit is an asshole. It swept me the first time I fought it…with Fennekin (and Pikachu, ironically). But really, why didn’t he break the ice with Iron Tail?

Good battle, for the most part, but I won’t blame Ash for this loss with Pikachu for once. Like I said, the Surskit is from hell. I do think Fletchling did some work, though. Shows it’s already strong.

How do they just let strangers do whatever they want? Serena came out of nowhere and they don’t even question her! And then Clemont let this potential butcher knife wielder go over by them. Love how Bonnie befriended Serena so quick, though. She’s such a cutie, especially with her cheering.

Thank you, Viola! Hopefully people will start pronouncing Vivillion correctly now. I’m getting tired of people butchering the name. It also has some cool, mysterious theme music.

I do love a battle with strategy, regarding the Sticky Web - Gust tactic...and that was Iris announcing the battle wasn’t it? I liked how Ash handled everything, though. Nice and respectable loss. It's like he's maturing.

That could have actually been anyone’s bag, Serena. You damn thief.

Alright, why won’t Viola say “Fantastic” 9000 times like she does in the games? I was looking forward to it. ): But I otherwise really like her voice.

I would’ve commented on Dedenne’s cuteness, but I guess Bonnie did first. And Lol, Serena knows she was pissed Ash didn’t see her.

That Wigglytuff is staring dead at us and it’s scaring the s**t out of me!! That Wigglytuff, tho...

Yes, Clemont, Fennekin=New Trainer; you are a genius. Totally not being sarcastic, there~

Who would put Gust on a Noivern?

That whole thing at the end…was weird. Seriously, if I was Ash, I wouldn’t been freaked out. The way she asked was a bit awkward to me. Serena’s such a creepster!

Overall, really enjoyable episode. I'll give it a 9.3 for Serena's creepiness (I have no idea why I'm being so mean to Serena today) and for Viola not saying FANTASTIC! :(

So Vivillon is pronounced like vi-vi-YON and not vi-vi-LON... I didn't expect that... guess I never really thought of the name meaning

So Vivillon is pronounced like vi-vi-YON and not vi-vi-LON... I didn't expect that... guess I never really thought of the name meaning

Well, it is taken from papillon, the French word for butterfly, so the pronunciation makes sense.

I liked the part they justified the insta-solarbeam by showing the sunlight before vivillon launched the attack

A really nice episode, the battle was good although Ash lost. Poor Serena, I don't think Ash remembers her.
Also, Wigglytuff is getting scarier and scarier :O that cry and the eyes pierce into my soul.

PS: I always knew that Alexa was a type of trainer that would teach her tasmanial devil to use Gust. Noivern's cry was......I can't find any words to describe it.

9/10 from me :) the ending was unusual, but good

OMG, this episode was really bad!
I mean guys, let's face it: By now Pikachu should have become so strong that it can easily beat at least the first six or seven gym leaders without any help. (We witnessed what it was capable of in in the past, didn't we?) and now Ash's ace-Pokemon gets totally owned by a... Surskit! Seriously?? How ridiculous and illogical is that?
Once again, Ash and Pikachu seem to have gotten their famous power-reset at the beginning of a new journey but, honestly, I hate it when the writers do that just to make the first gym battle look more balanced and interesting. If Pikachu is too strong, you have to come up with another concept (Pikachu getting ill and thus not being able to battle or whatever) but repeating the same pattern again and again is getting less and less convincing for us older fans.

In short: I'm not happy with this episode!

Well, it is taken from papillon, the French word for butterfly, so the pronunciation makes sense.

In France, if you have a word with a double L after an I, it usually becomes a V when pronounced.

So Viv-ILL-on becomes Viv-V-yon

Hope that clears it up.
OMG, this episode was really bad!
I mean guys, let's face it: By now Pikachu should have become so strong that it can easily beat at least the first six or seven gym leaders without any help. (We witnessed what it was capable of in in the past, didn't we?) and now Ash's ace-Pokemon gets totally owned by a... Surskit! Seriously?? How ridiculous and illogical is that?
Once again, Ash and Pikachu seem to have gotten their famous power-reset at the beginning of a new journey but, honestly, I hate it when the writers do that just to make the first gym battle look more balanced and interesting. If Pikachu is too strong, you have to come up with another concept (Pikachu getting ill and thus not being able to battle or whatever) but repeating the same pattern again and again is getting less and less convincing for us older fans.

In short: I'm not happy with this episode!

It's not ridiculous at all. You have to remember that Pikachu had no traction once the Ice field was made. Pikachu's feet are flat with no claws so the surface area of Pikachu's feet and the surface of the ice just slide against each other. With that said, it's hard to retaliate to a Beam attack when you have no recovery time nor traction to move about to dodge it.

And another thing is that Pikachu did NOT get reset, in regards to what I mentioned above, he was more caught off guard if anything.

Last edited:
By now Pikachu should have become so strong that it can easily beat at least the first six or seven gym leaders without any help. (We witnessed what it was capable of in in the past, didn't we?) and now Ash's ace-Pokemon gets totally owned by a... Surskit! Seriously?? How ridiculous and illogical is that?

Have you played X or Y? That Surskit is a demon. O_O I don't call this illogical at all. I feel for Pikachu.

On a serious note, it's no more ridiculous than his loss at the Striaton Gym to a Water-type, or pretty much any other fairly easy battle that Pikachu has lost. Or getting smacked around by Bunnelby. At least he lost to a good strategy from his opponent this time rather than Ash just making bad decisions. The reset, as far as I can see as of now, hasn't hit Ash and Pikachu nearly as hard as it has in the past.

Psychic, Signal Beam, Ice Beam and Solar Beam in the first Gym. How OP!

Being a flying type, Fletchling's Air Balloon is vital.

Wow. Just wow. TCPi replaced 95% of the music used during the gym battle for the some weird, not-Pokemon-sounding noise.

I mean really? No gym battle music during the the gym battle?

Vivillon being pronounced like it's Japanese name, and sounding like its Japanese anime counterpart, is pretty cool. The music is a real let-down though.

Didn't the DP dub try to keep most of the game music or other symbolic pieces? Especially when it was sort of "theme music" of certain things? (like Movie 8 music in Riolu/Lucario eps, Movie 9 music in Pokémon Ranger eps, and other "iconic" music)
I can't remember if the BW dub did the same (and tbh not even completely sure about the DP dub following this "rule" but I think they sort of tried at least) but XY seems to completely throw that away, like there is some new rule now that they have to replace as much as possible, without even trying to keep "important" pieces like they sometimes did in the past... I don't know, it can get super confusing to try making sense of their "logic" (if there is any) about the bgm...

Wow. Just wow. TCPi replaced 95% of the music used during the gym battle for the some weird, not-Pokemon-sounding noise.

I mean really? No gym battle music during the the gym battle?

Vivillon being pronounced like it's Japanese name, and sounding like its Japanese anime counterpart, is pretty cool. The music is a real let-down though.

Wait, did they dub Vivillion's voice?

Didn't the DP dub try to keep most of the game music or other symbolic pieces? Especially when it was sort of "theme music" of certain things? (like Movie 8 music in Riolu/Lucario eps, Movie 9 music in Pokémon Ranger eps, and other "iconic" music)
I can't remember if the BW dub did the same (and tbh not even completely sure about the DP dub following this "rule" but I think they sort of tried at least) but XY seems to completely throw that away, like there is some new rule now that they have to replace as much as possible, without even trying to keep "important" pieces like they sometimes did in the past... I don't know, it can get super confusing to try making sense of their "logic" (if there is any) about the bgm...
Well season 1 of Black and White kept most of the original music, even after the first 5 episodes which just kept everything without any dub added cues.

After that, what the Muk happened?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom