• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP07: Giving Chase at the Rhyhorn Race!

Wow! I ended up liking this episode I lot more than I thought I would!

First off, let me just say that Ash as a child was adorable. Especially, using some sort of magic trick to remove Serena's pain. That was just too cute. I love how he just picked her up and she sort of fell into his arms and he just took her hand and walked away with her like it was nothing. Like it was no big deal. And all the while Serena was savoring the precious memory for years to come. And speaking of Serena, she really planned to give Ash that handkerchief at some point in her life? Wow, that's just...weird. What was she going to do if she hadn't seen him on the news, go to every region and try to track him down? Anyway...

Serena training Ash for the race was pretty interesting to watch as well. It was nice to see how experienced she was with the Ryhorn, even though she doesn't really care for the sport. Ryhorn races actually look pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing more in the future, especially since this one didn't have a real ending. Even if they don’t I’m still really eager to see what Serena has planned for her future goals. I liked how eager Fennekin was to save Pikachu, the Rhyhorn and Ash. I hope it gets to battle more in the future.

Now on to Clemont. And to think that I thought that I wouldn't have anything to say about him in this episode. He took the initiative to go save Ash, used Bunnelby to stop Team Rocket, and then jumped in the air and destroyed their remote thing with a rock. Just awesome. I love this guy. And lol at him destroying the remote “for the future of science”. It was also really cute how he shook Bunnelby's paw after they beat Team Rocket. Also, going back to that sleeping scene, I thought that his little nightcap was cute.

And then there's Bonnie. First and foremost, those Tyrantrum pajamas are adorable. Second, I love how she thought the Rhyhorn were so cute. In fact, it seems that Bonnie thinks lots of Pokémon are cute, that you normally wouldn’t call cute, like Garchomp. I like that about her. Lastly, it was great how she helped untie Ash after Team Rocket caught him. We've got some really great teamwork going on here.

Even Team Rocket had a good plan today and nearly pulled it off. But seriously, the Ryhorn were going to help them take over the world? What are they gonna do just ram through things? Well, actually…that would be pretty dangerous.

Oh yeah Ash, those cookies looked real amazing. Those plain brown circles with no designs or toppings whatsoever. Awesome. Overall, a really great episode. 9/10.

Oh chizz, some of that Amourshipping, doe. Nice way to start the episode.

So we get to learn a bit more about Serena. This chick is talking about all the fashions. I was hoping we weren’t gonna go back to this girly thing, but after that second episode there was really no doubt. Oh well.

Not to mention, her entire motive for going on a journey is to give back a handkerchief. After just reading Othello, it’s nice to see a handkerchief end up causing good things and not leading to an untimely demise.

Teh shipping!! Teh shipping!! I love it. That was completely adorable! Especially that accidental hug, doe! I would have liked them to keep the Lavarre City theme just because it’s my favorite city theme in the whole game, but the music they had was just as good.

But seriously, the stalking needs to stop, Serena. This girl is one of the most obsessed girls I’ve ever seen in Pokémon. And that’s after we already know Jessebelle.

Aww, why didn’t the Pokedex mention Rhyhorn’s Tackle taking out an entire building? ):

Y’know, I still don’t understand Rhyhorn racing. I mean, aren’t they slow? I mean, Rhyperior’s like, the slowest thing ever so how fast could a Rhyhorn be? Just curious as to why it was chosen over, like, Rapidash and the only reason I can come up with is that you ride a Rhyhorn in the game purely to traverse stony terrain.

Why doesn’t Serena like Rhyhorn Racing?! RHYHORN RACING IS THE SH*T! She needs to do that! Not fashion and crap. -3-

What’s with Team Rocket this season and the murderous faces? Especially since they aren’t acting particularly extra evil or anything…Also, where have these guys been?

The hat was backwards again!! That’s twice in 7 episodes! I have high hopes for the backwards hat even if it was only because of an accident.

Speaking of, this man struggling to get on the Rhyhorn was hilarious! And why are they waiting so long to do a visual of how to get on?! Was Ash falling that amusing? Yes. But damn, Serena, letting a guy bruise his entire body before HE makes YOU help isn’t the best way to show you like him, don’t you think?

So if you don’t succeed, try again? I guess that’s why Clemont keeps inventing. :p

The Tyrantrum pajamas!! X3 I love them! There’s nothing cuter or more likable than a little girl wanting pajamas that resemble an enormous monster.

So the Rhyhorn Race, still confused as to why Serena didn’t race. I mean, at the very least she could have impresses Ash or something. And don’t act like that’s not her grand scheme.

Team Rocket’s technology is getting really badass. But what would they want with a bunch of Rhyhorn anyway? Well, I guess they did want a flock of Mareep.

Bunnelby tho! Coming through! The team work between these guys continues to impress. I love how Bonnie’s the one untying Ash. And Fennekin is still a boss. Please, Serena, consider battles! ANYTHING BUT FASHION!

The phone call with Grace was hilarious. Why the hell were they all screaming, the woman’s not deaf. I cannot stress how funny these guys together.

I love how only ASH got cookies...well...first at least. See what I mean about that grand scheme?

Anyway, a very good and humorous episode. I really can’t think of any faults it had so I’ll give it a 9.5/10, because I would have liked the Lavarre City music. ):

Last edited:
I guess I can see why some people aren't fans of the BGM, considering how they replaced the original music from the flashback scene. Not a deal-breaker, but still mildly annoying. I hope they keep bringing back old pieces, like last ep.

Typical of Ash to jump headfirst into something new, but at least he asked for help from someone who knew what she was doing. And apparently Bonnie will squeeze over anything. Love to see her with a Garbodor.

Ash was pretty dense about Serena's feelings. Even Pikachu thought so.

At least this time when Clemont destroyed something, it was to help out. And at least Serena has potential as a battler.

Oh chizz, some of that Amourshipping, doe. Nice way to start the episode.

So we get to learn a bit more about Serena. This chick is talking about all the fashions. I was hoping we weren’t gonna go back to this girly thing, but after that second episode there was really no doubt. Oh well.

Not to mention, her entire motive for going on a journey is to give back a handkerchief. After just reading Othello, it’s nice to see a handkerchief end up causing good things and not leading to an untimely demise.

Teh shipping!! Teh shipping!! I love it. That was completely adorable! Especially that accidental hug, doe! I would have liked them to keep the Lavarre City theme just because it’s my favorite city theme in the whole game, but the music they had was just as good.

But seriously, the stalking needs to stop, Serena. This girl is one of the most obsessed girls I’ve ever seen in Pokémon. And that’s after we already know Jessebelle.

Aww, why didn’t the Pokedex mention Rhyhorn’s Tackle taking out an entire building? ):

Y’know, I still don’t understand Rhyhorn racing. I mean, aren’t they slow? I mean, Rhyperior’s like, the slowest thing ever so how fast could a Rhyhorn be? Just curious as to why it was chosen over, like, Rapidash and the only reason I can come up with is that you ride a Rhyhorn in the game purely to traverse stony terrain.

Why doesn’t Serena like Rhyhorn Racing?! RHYHORN RACING IS THE SH*T! She needs to do that! Not fashion and crap. -3-

What’s with Team Rocket this season and the murderous faces? Especially since they aren’t acting particularly extra evil or anything…Also, where have these guys been?

The hat was backwards again!! That’s twice in 7 episodes! I have high hopes for the backwards hat even if it was only because of an accident.

Speaking of, this man struggling to get on the Rhyhorn was hilarious! And why are they waiting so long to do a visual of how to get on?! Was Ash falling that amusing? Yes. But damn, Serena, letting a guy bruise his entire body before HE makes YOU help isn’t the best way to show you like him, don’t you think?

That little Rhyhorn Rape scene was pretty adorable and even cuter how Bonnie wanted in on it (no matter how weird that sounds).

So if you don’t succeed, try again? I guess that’s why Clemont keeps inventing. :p

The Tyrantrum pajamas!! X3 I love them! There’s nothing cuter or more likable than a little girl wanting pajamas that resemble an enormous monster.

So the Rhyhorn Race, still confused as to why Serena didn’t race. I mean, at the very least she could have impresses Ash or something. And don’t act like that’s not her grand scheme.

Team Rocket’s technology is getting really badass. But what would they want with a bunch of Rhyhorn anyway? Well, I guess they did want a flock of Mareep.

Bunnelby tho! Coming through! The team work between these guys continues to impress. I love how Bonnie’s the one untying Ash. And Fennekin is still a boss. Please, Serena, consider battles! ANYTHING BUT FASHION!

The phone call with Grace was hilarious. Why the hell were they all screaming, the woman’s not deaf. I cannot stress how funny these guys together.

I love how only ASH got cookies...well...first at least. See what I mean about that grand scheme?

Anyway, a very good and humorous episode. I really can’t think of any faults it had so I’ll give it a 9.5/10, because I would have liked the Lavarre City music. ):

You make her love of fashion seem like a bad thing. Even if she does do something like Rhyhorn racing, she can still like girly stuff, right?

If anyone noticed, in the JPN version of the episode, the title card featured Serena, but the ENG version changed it to Ash. This probably means TPCi will be changing all the title cards to Ash, which is really weird.

I'd prefer her to do something cool and unique like Rhyhorn Racing over something lame and girly like fashion.

You make it sound like being girly is a bad thing. Well, when the character boils down to only just that, it's a bit of an issue but still...

I'd complain about the BGM replacements in the dub yet I find that it actually has some sort of quality to it. Like they realized that background music is meant to be, well, good. It's got nothing on Miyazaki, trust me, yet I like it for what it's worth. I also like how the Rhyhorn race here is the backdrop for the story and fits in with all the other elements. This saga's doing story structure a lot better this time around.

I was rather annoyed that Laverre and Snowbelle City were replaced, hopefully they'll make their debut in the dub as I particularly like these covers though I'm not holding my breath. In fact I am already loving XY's RAW Soundtrack as a whole so far, its definitely the most natural score that Miyazaki has produced for the anime. All said and done though, the dubs music isn't terrible per say and some of BW's dub tracks became guilty pleasures of mine but if they can keep an entire score in the movies which are obviously produced on a bigger budget, why can't they do the same thing for the main series.

Regardless though the dub of the episode was very enjoyable none the less. The scripting and the voice acting were all well done.

Is it too much to ask for the writers to stop it with the TR rhyming every other sentence?? I mean I understand during the motto but damn, it's annoying when they do it anytime but the motto.

Anyways, I really liked this episode. It was nice to see that Serena began to understand her mother better after the Rhyhorn stuff.

I also liked that Serena figured out that she could battle.

I guess we can call that an OK episode.
I'm a bit disappointed that they obviously didn't finish the Rhyhorn race because I would have liked to see who wins. Also, I'm not happy with how beams of light suddenly turn into iron cages, but well, I guess that's Pokemon physics.
Apart from that, it was a nice episode with every main character contributing something important. I'm just a little bit surprised how easy it is for parents in the Pokemon world to let their children go with strangers they have never met in person before.

Alrighty, Late Review, I was at a Skiing Race Yesterday so I Missed to Reviewing this so here we go.

We start off wight he Cliff Hanger from Last Week and SURPRISE, NOT REALLY, Serena has Joined the Group. I'm Glad to have her with this Group. Yeah, I Agree with what other people have said, she is a Stalker who follows Ash. Felt like being Funny and NOT Mean.

So Serena is Talking with Ash about them at Professor Oak's Summer Camp with the Handkerchief, and we get a Flashback, also, Clemont, Bonnie, Dedenne, and Pikachu hear this Story now. I Don't Know what's up with the Yellowish, Orangeish Color in the Flashbacks now, it's Weird. So Serena Hurts her Leg when a Ploiwag Scares her, then another thing is Rustling in the Bushes but it is a Young Ash. OH MY LORD Sara Natochenny SUCKED AS Young Ash, it Sounded like Delia and Johanna IMO. But seeing lung Ash was VERY Cute to see, and that Make it feel Better was Good, then Ash Tells Serena NOT to Give Up till the End. Then Serena Lands in Ash's Arms by Accident and they go back to Camp.

Then FINALLY, Ash Remembers Serena and I LOVED that they kept the Straw Hat Reference. When Serena said she was Disappointed that Ash did not recognize her, Pikachu's Face WAS PRICELESS, He was like "REALLY Ash, U are Sad that U Don't Remember Serena!" Then, OH MY GOD IT'S A Rhino STAMPEDE, A Ryhorn Race is going on and we see Officer Jenny and this New Actress REALLY SUCKS.

Ash Finds out he can Participate in a Race and so then TRAINING Happens. Serena wants to Find something for herself, and that's fine just as Long as it's Good. We see Team Rocket who haven't Appeared since Bonnie got Dedenne and we get EVEN MORE Rhyming than Usual UGH, THOSE Faces were STUPID. Serena asks Ash how she looks in her OUTFIT BUT Oblivious Ash makes a Comment on his. Ash FAILING on the Ryhorn was Funny, and the Hat is Backwards and EPIC that it was Backwards. Serena is being Licked by all the Ryhorn and it is Cute and Funny until Bonnie comes in and Annoys the HECK Out of me when she does this. Later that Night, we see the Pajamas, and Ash's is Meh, Clemont with a NightCap is Cool, and Bonnie in a Tyrantrum PJ's was REALLY Cute. So Serena is in the Kitchen with Fennekin and it appears she is the Cook of the Group maybe.

The Next Morning, the Race happens and LAME Team Rocket RUINS it pretty much, and as if the Motto wasn't already Screwed up, it goes "Surrender Now, Or Prepare For A Fight!" the Motto will Never be right again Sigh. Bunnelby and Clemont come to Help and that was Cool. Fennekin Wants to Battle, and I WOULD Have Liked if Serena said who is Team Rocket. WHY Did Clemont say this when He Destroyed James's Controller "FOR THE FUTURE OF SCIENCE!" THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITHT HE Situation AT ALL. James's Face when the Cages are Destroyed is PRICELESS.

So the Race is Cancelled and Ash and Comp. meet Grace AKA Serena's Mother and it was Ok. Cookies for Ash and Bonnie his Jealous so Serena Gives more.

Ok so this Episode had a Tone of Good Moments but a lot of TERRIBLE Acting and Lines but I will still go High, Haveh Paschall HAS RULED IN THE AmourShipping Scenes. I Give this an 8.

I liked this episode for the most part, wasn't one of my favorites, but it wasn't "bad" either. One thing that bothered me though was the choppiness of the dialogue that I've been seeing lately. For some reason, they don't seem to flow as well as they have in previous episodes. Hopefully, the problem will be corrected in the upcoming ones.

Is it too much to ask for the writers to stop it with the TR rhyming every other sentence?? I mean I understand during the motto but damn, it's annoying when they do it anytime but the motto.

Anyways, I really liked this episode. It was nice to see that Serena began to understand her mother better after the Rhyhorn stuff.

I also liked that Serena figured out that she could battle.

I don't care TR would do that in other series also, I find it funny.

Ash, what a lad. Least the kiddie version.

How do you fail at getting on a Rhyorn so many times?

Wobbufet should've used counter when all the Rhyorn used tackle.

Why don't I get random cookies from women?

I think it's going to happen folks. The couple of the century.

I hope not. I'd find it a little incongruous with Ash trademark density, which I like. But I see why most people don't.

Speaking of Ash and changes, I feel like this is the series where Ash is the wisest one in the room. Every other series, there's been Brock or Misty or Cilan or Tracey Sketchit to seem like the "mature" one looking after the kids, but so far this season doesn't have one. So it's gotta fall to Ash. This may result in some dynamics we haven't really seen much of yet.

Pros: Young Ash's voice sounded great.

Cons: Snowbelle City's theme not heard in the dub. And I really can't hear the BGM at all.

Kaljinyu said:
Speaking of Ash and changes, I feel like this is the series where Ash is the wisest one in the room. Every other series, there's been Brock or Misty or Cilan or Tracey Sketchit to seem like the "mature" one looking after the kids, but so far this season doesn't have one. So it's gotta fall to Ash. This may result in some dynamics we haven't really seen much of yet.
I think that’s really more Clemont. While Ash certainly isn’t being treated as if he’s new to all of this like Serena is, it’s Clemont who’s explaining the mechanics of how the Pokemon world works, identifying the Kalos-exclusive Pokemon, etc. I would also argue that Clemont comes off a bit more maturely than Ash does.

Ash does have an advantage over everyone else insofar that he's the only one of the group that's been to several different regions and has seen (and caught) a variety of different Pokemon. But I'm sure the series won't showcase that element of him until either the Kalos League or after it, depending on where the League is placed.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom