• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP19: A Conspiracy to Conquer!

Another great episode.

Malamar was so terrifying. Its voice was so creepy and malicious. But the hypnotized voices of all of the other characters? THOSE were some of the creepiest voices I've ever heard. Though ironically in the original TR had the creppiest voices, but in the dub they have the least creepy voices. Or at least the way I see it. Moving on.

I liked how Bonnie, Serena, and Pikachu were a bit suspicious of Meowth when he started explaining what happened to him. Also, I liked how Meowth found some way to prevent himself from being hypnotized. Lol at Meowth justifying Jessie and James’s odd behavior by pointing out their, “dopey eyes”. And lol at Malamar just lifting Pikachu off Ash's shoulder and flying away with him. Didn’t even try to put up a fight.

Clemont's invention was amazing. Isn’t it great how he always just knows that strange situations will come up that call for the need of his redonculous inventions. I loved how enthusiastic he and Ash were about it, especially Ash affectionately saying, “it’s a Pikabot”, while Bonnie and Serena were rather unimpressed. Geez Bonnie, why are the names of the inventions so important. It was so funny to see Clemont take off behind Ash with Serena and Bonnie behind him, only to end up in the back as usual.

My gosh did Pikachu really just stand there and let himself get hypontized. Geez...even Meowth was able to avoid that. He could have at least tried fighting back. Okay, so James can apparently remember what Pokémon the group have, but Jessie forgot that Bonnie existed a while ago. Well, I guess they do care more about the Pokémon than the people. And Jessie has been proven to be not so bright. But still…

Now infiltration time. Can I just say how hilarious it was that Dedenne pointed out Malamar to Clemont and Bonnie when that thing was right in front of their faces. Did they not see it? I like how when Clemont and Bonnie were hypnotized they tried to pretend that they were still normal. As if no one noticed their creepy voices or, in the words of Meowth, dopey eyes. I liked how Clemont answered Serena’s question with “negative”, as if he were some mindless robot. Hm, well he does like robots. I also found it funny that Serena didn’t want to get scratched by Meowth and ended up hypnotized. Oh, gosh what was she trying to do to Ash.

So what was the best thing about this episode? Clemont's invention freakin' smashing into Malamar and breaking everyone of their confusion! Never expected that. Score 1 for one of Clemont’s inventions! And OMG Jenny was Madame X, as if it wasn't totally obvious. Ok, so apparently Malamar was building some sort of weapon. But since it’s been discovered it must be destroyed. Well that was a waste. Anyway, Malamar blows up the room with the weapon and flies into space. Now I'm really interested to see if this leads to something in the future.

So wait, TR are afraid of Inkay evolving now? You'd think they'd what him to evolve into this super powerful Pokémon capable of controlling and stealing Pikachu and taking over the the world. Especially since they've been failing to do so all this time. Meowth even brought this up. Please don't let this ruin Inkay's chance of evolving and giving TR a Pokémon that's actually a threat.

Overall, a really great episode. Can't say there was much I disliked other than how easily the group was hypnotized. I think it could have been a bit more interesting if they tried to battle Malamar first. But other than that, it was really great. 9/10.

Last edited:
Let Me just say this, I LOVE LOVE LOVED this Episode. I think it's VERY GOOD, I saw this in Japanese and I Fell in Love with the Episode and this is probably one of my Favorite Pokemon Episodes ever I think. They did take some Aspects from Pikachu Re-Volts but I Ignored that a bit but I Liked the Story and Mystery.

Madame X, Creepy Villain but I Knew who it was from the Beginning when they First Showed Pictures a few Months. But still Good Villain even though was really just a Fiction mdd up by the Malamar. Boy this Episode had a lot of GREAT Moments for Me.

I Like how Clemont's Invention did Help Out later on in the Episode, I Liked that a lot. And I Must say, this is the BEST I have seen Team Rocket IN A LONG TIME, ESPECIALLY Meowth. I'm NOT Trying to Brag, I'm NOT that kind of person but this Episode to Me was REALLY GOOD.

Is the Plot Cliché? A bit yes, they take Aspects of Pikachu Re-Volts but still a Good Episode to Me. But Pikachi ONCE AGAIN is Possessed. Gee it hasn't been completely too long since we saw this LOL.

Funny Parts, Bonnie, Dedenne, and Pikachu Didn't Believe Meowth and was trying to Convince them GREAT. Wobbuffet Scaring Bonnie and she Yelled in His Face pretty PRICELESS IMO, the Pikachu Robot good, a few Other Parts but the BEST was Team Rocket Scared of Inkay because it Evolves into Malamar LOL. I Laughed my Butt Off here.

Now another Con I had was the Pokemon Corps which Consisted of Beedrill, Pangoro, Exploud, Scolipede, and Noivern, they appeared VERY Weird and felt Uncessicary to Me.

Now onto Cthulhu, it's Open to Discussion whether or NOT it's a Team Flare Pokemon, I Don't Know but I Feel like we haven't seen the Last of this Malamar.

Overall I just simply LOVED this Episode, it's a 10/10 for SURE, and A Conspiracy To Conquer is AWESOMETACULIAR :)

I really loved this episode (I've enjoyed most of XY's episodes, believe it or not). Some key points that I really adored:

- They came close, but ultimately it was NOT Ash and Pikachu's Power of Friendship that saved the day, but instead it was CLEMONT'S DISCARDED INVENTION THAT WAS LABELED A FAILURE. That is awesome. I welcome everything that breaks overdone formulas.

- ALRIGHT. Whether or not this Malamar has Team Flare connections, I think this finally gives concrete proof that there ARE bad Pokemon in this world, contrary to what a certain terrible episode last series was trying to convey. Even if it is a Team Flare Pokemon, everything it's done this episode is explicitly stated to be part of its natural personality thanks to the Pokedex entry, so brainwashing/trainer influence isn't going to cut it to make this Malamar out to be an innocent victim of anything. Almost out of spite I wish that the Malamar was a Noivern or some other Dragon-type just to further invalidate the crappy episode I mentioned, but this is fine as it was, really, I do mean that. XD

- Also, since I slacked off on keeping up with what was going on in Japan, I'll admit I was surprised Madame X was really a hypnotized Jenny. :p That may make me a moron, but I like that kind of twist.

- BEST WAY TO END THE EPISODE EVER. Really, that's perfect Nightmare Fuel. "Oh hey James, that Inkay of yours... might evolve into that evil hypnotizing monster one day. And we'll end up spending the rest of our lives as slave to it. MAYBE INVEST IN AN EVERSTONE??" while the Inkay just gives a cryptic ^_^ face. That's just great, great dark comedy.

Also, Bonnie's "zombie slave" tone of voice while under Malamar's control was adorable~

TRio brainwashed, clemont's inventions always explodes and inkay's evolved form... WHAT NEXT?
Best episode so far in kalos region 10/10

Last edited:
I hate to be that guy, but I found this episode to be a hit-and-miss…

Sooooo…is this what Team Rocket has been doing all this time, stating the obvious? Like really, they can’t just now be figuring out that they have to separate Ash and Pikachu to catch Pikachu…SURELY they’ve shown before that they know this…THEY DON’T NEED A FANCY-ASS COMPUTER TO REALIZE THIS NOW, RIGHT?!?!

And Madame X is this stupid enough to want Pikachu, too? You’re kidding if you think you can take over the entire world with the help of a Pikachu…Madame X can’t be this retarded…Team Rocket, sure, they’re always like that…but this chick seems somewhat competent and it turns me off of her character quite a bit already.

Skipping all that hypnotic stuff, Meowth finds the twerps and damn, does he look fu*ked up. But wait, that’s not even the best part. He faints. They need to get medical help. “Quick, 7-year-old! Help!” Really now, Clemont, I know Bonnie is good at taking care of Pokémon, but don’t you think Meowth looks rather screwed up and that perhaps we shouldn’t be making a child treat him? I mean, if Bonnie can do it, and she can, I see no real issue (if help is there, you take it), but I just find it odd that they now see fit for Bonnie to do stuff like this when someone else usually does it.

Well, once again, the Anime seems to want us to think Psychic moves can hurt Dark-Types. These guys really don’t know type matchups, but they sure can rhyme. Don’t get me wrong; James’ command would be understandable assuming they didn’t know what type Malamar was…but then you get to the end of the episode…

Okay, so two things. Firstly, Serena, I don’t think the name of Madame X is that important right now. Secondly, someone doesn’t play games...

I was with Meowth for while there. He’s right. They can’t take over the world with Pikachu. But not because it’s wrong, because it’s impossible. Seriously, there is no way a single Pikachu, no matter how strong, will be able to somehow conquer the world (ignoring the rest of the “Pokémon Patrol”). Someone will have a powerful-ass Garchomp or Excadrill and stop him. Please stop putting Pikachu on a pedestal.

Another thing that bothers me. Firstly, why did Clemont think we’d need this machine? Is he that much of a downer to think Pikachu would get abducted (and, yes, I know it happens from time to time, that’s not the point)? Second, and the real issue, why did Clemont think we’d need this machine when we have Dedenne? He can clearly track Pikachu from a reasonable distance, so why the hell did no one bring him up?

So robot goes boom, we all know the drill. But, come on! If the robot crashed there, isn’t it pretty much obvious (assuming it even somewhat worked) that the place where it was last…alive…is the place Pikachu would be? So why are we all standing outside derping around and wasting time? Is Meowth really the smart one here?

So when naming the Pokémon the twerps own, they manage to mysteriously forget that they also have Bunnelby, Dedenne, and Fletchling…Were Diggersby tho and Talonflame not seen as worthy enough…or…

Ash and Serena pair up and I can’t even use this as a shipping moment. Disappointing…

It is now here that I can mention that Meowth clawing faces to prevent hypnotization is pretty badass and, apparently, effective. And now for the moment of truth. Serena, Ash, and Meowth are at risk of being hypnotized, the only way to prevent this being some claws to the dome. Ash and Meowth take the like Fury Swipes bawses. Will Serena get over herself this one time and let Meowth slash away for her own well-being?....Nope. Nope. She doesn’t. She doesn’t. She allows herself to become a human slave, because her face was more valuable. I’ve had it at this point. Serena is a selfish, conceited, dumbass and I now officially hate her. I’m trying really damn hard, not to go on a rant about this…

Alright, so lemme call down real quick. So they find Pikachu and he zaps Ash. This is apparently new to Ash for some strange reason and he can’t seem to fathom why he’s being zapped. Perhaps it has something to do with…being hypnotized? Honestly, did you forget that was what’s going on?

So this Pokémon Patrol they keep mentioning…why call them that? I mean, for a creepy-ass villain, the name doesn’t really strike fear into my heart…Especially considering they make up a bunch of huge, scary Pokémon and Pikachu.

So Ash gets to feeling up on Pikachu. He better not snap out this easily. If this is another thing like Colress and Ghetsis, I will be pissed off. But Madame X is doing some Sasuke sh*t, trying to snap all them bonds.

SUDDENLY PIKABOT! Well, I guess that one was good for something. Still seems like a cop out of a real resolution, though.

Madame X is Officer Jenny?!!??! PLOT TWIST!!! Maybe this makes me a dumbass, but I honestly didn’t see that coming.

So Malamar has this evil plot of world domination. Damn…this sh!t’s getting real. Malmar is a terrorist. WTH?

Moving on, I love how Bonnie is the first to chase after Malamar behind Ash. She’s so awesome, in that aspect. I really do like how they make her just as involved, and more so, than the older kids.

That is one evil and sadistic Malamar. He basically tried to kill everyone. But…why blow up his weapon at all? Did he really need to just because they saw it? Couldn’t he easily just have hypnotized everyone to forget they saw it and teleport them away? Really, I don’t understand why he’d blow it up, unless he just really wanted to kill those guys.

Why would the narrator try to make us believe Ash’s Gym Battle is somehow more relevant that what we just witnessed?

So Team Rocket did know Inkay evolved into Malamar...I was honestly hoping so, it’d been in the back of my mind since Malamar first appeared if they realized. And I’m just as disturbed as they are at this potential weapon of mass destruction they wield…

I’m sorry, this could have been a great episode if it didn’t have so many damn flaws. Team Rocket in the beginning being stupider than usual, the twerps being pretty slow, too, Madame X, Ash, and Meowth putting Pikachu back on that pedestal of being powerful-as-hell when he isn’t. Then Serena being a little b*tch, Ash not realizing the obvious of Pikachu being under mind-control, Pikachu almost being easily snapped out of confusion to the Pokémon with the strongest hypnotic powers known to man, Pikabot easily resolving the conflict, Malamar blowing up the joint for no real reason, the narrator trying to convince me this was no big deal…

Well, what it did well, it did well, and what it screwed up at, it failed massively with little to bring it back up. It really sucks because Malamar was a damn good Pokecharacter and Pokevillain (which in itself is very rare) they introduced, and all of this crap just really brought his episode down. He was truly the best thing about this episode and I'm sure he'll have to come back so we can find out just why he wants to dominate the world, hopefully in a better episode than this one. Don't get me wrong, everything about MALAMAR was excellent, but I can't ignore all the BS that was pretty much everything else. And maybe I'm just being nitpicky pointing all of these things out, but, it just stands out too much. I’ll give it a 4.7/10, with all of those points directed at Malamar and Bonnie.

Last edited:
Amazing episode one of the best eps on XY so far. :) 10/10

What a strange episode. I thought it was ironic that Jessie made a comment about her and James becoming puppets for Madame X.

Simultaneously one of the creepiest and silliest episodes I've ever seen. I loved the double subversion of Clemont's Pikabot saving the day, rather than simply exploding and yet another of Ash's Power of Getting Hurt By Pokémon saving the day. Serena's got a point ... tell that to the authors of Pokémon Special ;)

I think that there was enough fun, and enough in the way of inventiveness to save this episode. I really think that the Pokémon anime is at its worst when it tries to do dramatic - yes, I am aware that I am in a minority there - and this episode could have been no different

I have to admit I have some problems with this episode
1 it was too easy to figue out Who madam X was
2 Clemonts invention did the blow up gag thing
3 Ash being able to reach pikachu through friendship
But there were some great points
1 We may have seen our first really evil pokemon:)
2 Clemont fixed his machine to the point where it actually worked, he's getting better
3 We learned that Officer Jenny can have a seriously Dark side
4 Some potential Forshadowing for James's Inkay and how it will act if it ever evolves
5 I know somoene already wrote this but Malamar may have been a team flare pokemon, which means that team Flare could be already active in Kalos
6 Meowth once again proves he is not easily controlled, something we have not seen since Unova
7 Ash though quickly and decisively in order to not be controlled by Malamar
Overall I give thi episode an 8/10 mainly because of who Madam X was

This episode was a bit crazy. I actually figured out who madam x was when I saw officer Jennys bike and that Malamar was controlling her. I think it's kind of ironic that Jessie scolded madam x about eavesdroping when the 3 of them do it all the time. I swear to Arceus those guys have got to be the most idiotic people on the show (which is made clear when Meowth contradicted himself). You know I can't help but wonder what that Malamar was planning (aside from the obvious). I get the feeling that we might end up seeing it again kinda like with pokemon hunter J.

LOVE episodes where Team Rocket or just a member of Team Rocket (like Meowth in this case) has to team up with Ash and the gang. Very glad it didn't end with the typical "okay, we helped, now let's steal Pikachu!" bit.

As for Malamar, oh boy that is one creepy Pokemon. And the voice is perfect. Just perfect.

Best episode of the whole season so far. And thats saying a lot as I really have not liked the season so far (or what I have seen from the Japanese episodes).

Why would Ash help Meowth... he never learns. Least the others called Meowth on it.

Damn Malamar is evil as hell, must make battling easy. Malamar has such an annoying voice.

I guess X is Jenny then from the close up on her face. I suppose Malamar is controller her too?

Thunderbolt should've killed Ash dammit! (not saying I want him to die, js that something like that would kill you)

lol called it being Jenny. Assume everyone else did too.

James, Malamar is a dark type. You should know that.

This would've been a good two parter.

The Pokemon protecting everyone was a good touch.

Ooh I guess it is a two parter then? or we'll just never see Malamar again.

Last edited:
Why would Ash help Meowth... he never learns. Least the others called Meowth on it.
Back in BW, at the end of the Subway arc, Ash told Meowth that he had fun travelling with him. Ash just has a really big heart. Now Pikachu, on the other hand, doesn't have the same heart. You can tell how suspicious of Meowth he was in one scene.

The animation was horrendous this episode. Some parts were good, but on the whole it wasn't very good to look at. I really liked it when Zombie!Serena held her arms out and walked towards Ash, only for Ash to back away and dodge her. really want to gif that, because it would be hilarious to take out of context.

But yeah, boring episode. I thought the idea was interesting, but other than that it was a dull episode. Malamar would make a great villain, but if they don't actually build up on it in a later episode, then the ending would be such a shitty Deadtime Stories-esque twist. I gotta compliment Bonnie's zombie voice, though.

Wow.. this was an unexpected call. I really liked this episode because it was a bit more sinister than the other episodes in the XY series. My first thought when Malamar flew off like that was that they are maybe hinting that Malamar will be a returning antagonist next to Team Flare. Think about it: instead of humans, a Pokemon could be the villain for the first time, something like Pokemon Hunter J was in the DP series. I mean, what the hell was that weapon for?!

On a side note: it took me a long time to figure out that Madame X was Officer Jenny, even with the motorcycle scene. Lol.

To be totally fair, when you've been traveling together for 17 years, I think it's pretty much okay to break out of hypnotism through friendship. It's totally obvious that Ash is using Pikachu to his fullest this series.

This has definitely been one of the best, or even THE best Kalos episode so far.
Every now and then the writers produce episodes as awesome as this one, but I wonder why they can't always do that?

Oh I don't even know where to start.
First, the episode didn't start as usual but with a pretty creepy introduction. And hey, Team Rocket analyzing Pikachu's strengths? It seems those guys are starting to use their brains.

Then we had the mysterious Madame X with her great appearance and her frightening design. These are the villains that we want to see!

Also, the scenery which was chosen was great. Needless to say, that old radio observatory was more than just fitting. It was simply fantastic.

My only point of criticism is Malamar's voice. As far as I'm concerned it sounded too goofy and I would have given it a deep, slow and echoing voice.

Then, of course, we mustn't forget Ash's heroic effort to help Pikachu snap out of his confusion. A very heart-warming and moving scene that reminded me of movie 1.

But the best thing about this episode in my eyes was when Madame X turned out to be Officer Jenny in fact. I love such twists and turns and it makes this week's episode so much better and mature! Great!

And finally, it seems that there are indeed some bad Pokemon. It's a very good idea that the writers had here and it makes the episode very mature, but it's also very sad to hear that Pokemon can be evil after all those episodes we've seen so far. But well, maybe Malamar will eventually turn out to be somebody else's marionette. For the sake of the idea of an ideal Pokemon world, please let that be true, writers.

As I said at the beginning, a great episode!

Last edited:
To be totally fair, when you've been traveling together for 17 years, I think it's pretty much okay to break out of hypnotism through friendship. It's totally obvious that Ash is using Pikachu to his fullest this series.

But it hasn't even been one year. :ksmile:

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom