• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP25: Climbing the Walls!

Great gym battle. Great episode.

Alright Ash needs to stop charging off without even knowing where the gym is. First off, I loved how the gym was on top of a giant cave and had a giant wall to climb like in the games. I liked Serena and Bonnie’s opposite reactions to hearing that one has to rock climb the rock wall to get to the battlefield. I thought it was cute that Bonnie ran up to climb the wall, but Clemont wouldn't let her. And man, Grant is so damn sexy. Ahem, moving on.

Anyway, on to the main attraction, the battle. Froakie truly is a ninja. I love how Ash had him jump across and up the Rock Tomb in order to get to Onix and how he made it relate to the gym being based around rock climbing. And then Froakie dodges that Iron Tail with the matrix. This guy is awesome. Can't wait to see his later gym battles. I love how Tyrunt's Draco Meteor looked. I also really loved how Clemont, Bonnie and Serena gave each other a triple high five during the battle. I know I've said it a million times, but I love this group's interactions.

Damn, Tyrunt’s Who’s that Pokemon music tho. Aw, Bonnie called Ash cool. That was cute. But what’s wrong with Clemont? Why did he say Ash needed to remember that Tyrunt was a dragon-type? Ash just looked up the thing on his dex so clearly he didn’t know anything about it. Also I found it funny how everyone was remarking how strong Tyrunt sounded for being a dragon-type and Dedenne got scared even though he’s immune to dragon-type moves. Anyway, too bad for Fletchling. It would have hoped to see it get off a few more damaging hits, but at least he got in a nice Steel Wing.

I like how they continued with the technique of bouncing off enemy's attack by having Pikachu use Iron Tail to move across the Draco Meteor. Seriously, I lolled at the fact that Grant said like 2 times “your Rock Tomb climb won’t work with Draco Meteor” and then Ash goes “Use Draco Meteor climb!” But my favorite was when Iron Tail smacked away the Rock Tomb into Tyrunt's mouth. That was cool. And geez, I knew Tyrunt was like twice Pikachu's size, but man it's big. When Pikachu bounced off its head I was like, "wow".

So overall, a great episode. So now Serena’s always wanted to visit Tower of Mastery? She sure wants to go a lot of places. I didn't particularly dislike anything other than Fletchling's loss. But at the same time, at least it got some experience and participated in the group effort. So, it's a 9.7/10 from me.

Why did he say Ash needed to remember that Tyrunt was a dragon-type?

Doesn't the Pokedex show the Pokemon's type too? I think that's what Clemont meant.

The dub handled this episode pretty well, some of the music were replaced but it's all gud :p

Why did he say Ash needed to remember that Tyrunt was a dragon-type?

Doesn't the Pokedex show the Pokemon's type too? I think that's what Clemont meant.

I don't know for sure. It's hard to tell since the Pokedex doesn't have any real words on it. Maybe it does and I'm just forgetting. But still, the way Clemont said it made it seem like Ash already should have known Tyrunt's type even before he dexed it. At least that's the way I took it.

Wow, really? Really? Another episode the UK aired early? Alright then, to the internet.

I don't know for sure. It's hard to tell since the Pokedex doesn't have any real words on it. Maybe it does and I'm just forgetting. But still, the way Clemont said it made it seem like Ash already should have known Tyrunt's type even before he dexed it. At least that's the way I took it.
In Kindergarten Chaos where Sylveon is introduced for the first time, after Ash finished listening to its entry in the Pokedex, Clemont asked him "Did you know that Sylveon is a Fairy-type Pokemon?" - and Ash replied 'No' - so presumably it doesn't show him that information.

The device is presumably a touch screen - it has some buttons below the main display of the Pokemon which look like navigation, so maybe Ash can find that information out if he's interested.

Despite that it never seems in episodes like Ash doesn't know the type of a Pokemon after scanning it - but I certainly can't remember off the top of my head the exact type chart for all combinations, so I'd be interested how much Ash actually knows about the type chart - especially given it randomly changed in Kalos without him seeming to care.

It'd be good to find out what it does tell him - considering in the games you don't learn about the type of Pokemon before you catch them.

When James scans a Pokemon it looks like he gets much more information about them with the device he has - so it would be weird if the device that the 'good guys' get is less detailed with its information about Pokemon.

Awesome episodes! Froakie's dodging was cool, and Pikachu bs Tyrunt was amazing to watch

Cyllage City looks so…off in the Anime. I mean, no sand or water in sight…it's just a city. I'm surprised it's designed in such a way considering it is literally surrounded by a beach in the games.

I love how they just skipped the trek up that giant mountain to get to the Gym. ASDFGHJK! Ash turned his hat around! Don’t screw with me, writers!

Serena doesn't want to climb that wall, but she was presumably fine with the climb to the Gym which was considerably higher? WTH? So because Clemont has the athletic ability of a Slakoth, Bonnie has to take the elevator. Well, screw you, Clemont. But either Ash is a fast-ass climber, or that Gym is nowhere near the height it looked when he entered. Also, they screwed with me...

Only Grant can make climbing up a wall seem like the journey of a lifetime.

I thought Bonnie and Clemont were gonna realize Serena has a crush on Ash when she got all nervous for no reason, but false alarm. It’s far too early for that, anyways. But how is Serena gonna say she knows how hard it is to win a badge? She hasn’t fought for anything! Pretty sure Dawn showed us way a back in DP that standing on the sidelines is nothing compared to actually battling. And what does she mean he’s been doing nothing but training? He was forced to stop training by her to make a stupid video, he’s been fishing, and playing with fossil Pokémon. Serena needs to STFU. And then Bonnie says they’ve all been training together? When?!

Regardless, cool battle intro time. Rock Polish looked pretty weird. Why did they make it look like an Electric move? No matter, the battle is staring off really well. Double Team looks really cool each time they use it this series. It looks like Ash is back to using his strategies in battle to win, which is really nice to see with Froakie climbing up the Rock Tomb. Speaking of…The Froakie Rock Tomb Climb? Clemont’s not the only one who’s bad at names…

Grant’s good and ready for his Onix to evolve, now isn’t he? That thing has way too many Steel-type moves. What kind of coverage is that?

Froakie. Did. The Matrix. I love that amphibian.

I imagine a STAB Water Pulse on a Rock/Ground type at close range would indeed work well…Clemont…stating the obvious

Tyrunt’s music…was powerful…and yet his cry was so chill…

Why would Dedenne be scared of Tyrunt, especially since they’re talking about it being a Dragon?

I really hope Ash wasn’t that shocked that Tyrunt could also use Rock Tomb. Did he really do all of that training and think he’d only have to use it against one of Grant’s Pokémon? Then again, Grant really should have more variety in his strategy, too.

But of course, he has the Draco Meteor. The powerful Draco...on a Physical Dragon...

Fletchling VS and Rock-type. Hell yeah. The one time we get to see Fletchling fight and it has the worst possible disadvantage. Even though it had the Steel Wing, that Dragon Tail was way too cool. Poor Fletchling; guy can’t get a break. Well the next Gym is Fighting, so...hopeful.

Pikachu’s portion of the battle was cool, but it seems like they’ve gone back into making him OP when he needs to be. What, did he take, like, no damage in that fight? Feels a little cheap, but from a logical standpoint, at Pikachu’s level, him losing would have been far worse. If he had at least struggled a bit it would have felt a bit better. But they got the win. And NO, not thanks to Fletchling! He got curbstomped.

After this episode, Grant’s badge should really be called the Wall Badge. Take a drink every time someone says wall...

Is Ash actually going to try and be a Grand Duke?! Please let him do it, writers! You already screwed with me with the hat. DON'T SCREW WITH ME HERE!

Overall, a good Gym battle. Ash used strategy and was able to pull of a victory after an intense battle. Grant is a really cool guy, too. And Ash continues to have amazing support from his groupies. Only negatives would be the pretty pitiful part with Fletchling. Hopefully he'll get to shine soon. 9/10~

This was perhaps the best dub episode to date. Granted, they did replace every single piece of music from the Japanese version, except the X/Y wild Pokemon Theme, it was enjoyable to watch.

Also a note, the UK is airing 2 episodes a week.

Ash showing his Mankey skills (movie 4? reference)

Grant is a bad ass

Nice speech from Serena. Nice bushing too.

Grant's hands are werid

and that's an awesome double team

rock tomb looking like rock slide lel

and that ref's voice sounds familiar, think it's that guy with the Deino day care

Draco Meteor at the second gym!? these Kalos gyms have been super over powered so far!

that was an awesome battle

Just watched this today. Great episode. Grant is one of my favorite gym leaders so far in the anime.

What really made me laugh is freaking Fletchling sitting on Ash's hand, just preening AS IF IT ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING. I was literally yelling at my computer screen; "Why are you so proud of yourself? You did nothing!!!"

I loved the difference in the move names; in the Japanese version it was Rock Tomb Tomb. Translated into English, that sounded a bit silly. I'm glad they changed it in the dub. :bheart:

Ash's training experience is really starting to show this season. Each battle he has just shows that, yeah, he's been to seven regions and competed in a lot of tournaments.

What really made me laugh is freaking Fletchling sitting on Ash's hand, just preening AS IF IT ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING. I was literally yelling at my computer screen; "Why are you so proud of yourself? You did nothing!!!"

It hit Tyrunt with Steel Wing and it helped Ash reveal more of it's moves.

This sure was a fantastic gym battle and you couldn't help but think that Ash really earned his badge this time!

But first things first:
The first thing I was fascinated by was the idea of building a gym into a big cave. That was quite impressive and I think more gym leaders should design their gyms according to their preferred type of Pokemon.

Then, the idea of having challengers climb up those walls and especially Grant's explanation what the reason behind all this is. Awesome! Getting inner peace when you climb thinking about nothing else than getting to the top.... I watched this scene twice because I loved this philosophical aspect. Really, really great (Man, I think I should calm down, but I can't)

And now let's concentrate on the awesome battle itself: I liked it not only because Ash came up with a nice strategy (Rock Tomb Climb and Draco Meteor Climb) but because it wasn't as close as the usual gym battles. At no time did I get the impression that Ash would lose and it's been the first time since maybe forever that you had the feeling that Ash really deserved to win. In many of the former gym battles, Ash's Pokemon seemed to be on their last legs and you couldn't help but think that Ash just won because he was lucky. But not this time! Pikachu totally dominated Tyrunt. That's the good old Sinnoh-Ash!

One little thing I need to criticize, though: The Pokedex said that Tyrunt's jaws can even crunch cars. So how come he wasn't able to crunch that rock in his mouth with ease, too? I think if you can crunch cars, the same goes for rocks.

But again, a great, great gym battle and I hope we'll get more of this!

That gym battle was pretty awesome. I liked how creative Ash was with this battle and I just loved that look Froakie had on his face after he defeated Onix (the one where he looked back at Ash and smiled). And the part where Froakie did the matrix....... Just plain awesome.

Now the part at the end of the episode where Serena mentioned the tower of mastery really got me wondering: What exactly is going to happen in Shalour city? You know what I mean by that.

Last edited:
I was pretty impressed with this episode, it might even be my favorite episode so far.

Ash somewhat reminded me of himself back in the Battle Frontier series since he was battling with a strategy and not just attempting to powerhouse his way through the competition. Seeing him battle Onix was great and watching Froakie do his Rock Tomb climb was really good, I hope we get to see Froakie evolve and become even stronger.

It appears Fletchling did nothing but I'd like to believe that he did serve a purpose and Ash had him figure out what moves Tyrant had to help prepare Pikachu.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom