• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP37: The Cave of Mirrors!

VERY FUNNY and Entertaining Episode. I Like the Concept of another World of themselves, it's Cool. This Ended up being VERY HILARIOUS! The Mirror Versions of Everyone was VERY FUNNY!!! Team Rocket were ACTUALLY Funny I thought. And at the End I thought it was VERY FUNNY that Meowth sounded like a Tennor Singer LOL. 10/10

I really enjoyed this episode for the most part.

I like how the Mirror World looked a bit duller than the real world along with all the other characters. I liked Mirror Ash, but at the same time I didn't like him. He was cute and the perfect opposite to Ash, but at the same time, I don't really like weak, crybaby characters. Not to mention that his crying got pretty damn annoying. I'm glad he became a bit braver at the end. Though at the same time, that kinda ruins him since it makes more like the real Ash now. Well he’s still much more timid and less reckless than Ash still so I guess he’s okay. Mirror Serena I didn't really like at all for essentially just being a rude asshole, especially mocking Crybaby Ash after their battle to the point that he ran away crying. I did like seeing the more battle-ready Mirror Fennekin though.

Mirror Bonnie was cute like regular Bonnie. I liked how she was very respectful to Mirror Clemont and supportive of his ideas. But at the same time, I don’t really get how she was supposed to be an opposite of Bonnie. Ok, so she spoke really proper and called Clemont “brother dear”. Doesn't seem very opposite to me, especially since normal Bonnie affectionately calls Clemont “big brother” and does show her support for him. Maybe she was supposed to seem more adult-like? I dunno. I also didn't see at all how Mirror Dedenne was supposed to be Dedenne's opposite, but whatever. Just like the regular group, Mirror Clemont was my favorite of the bunch. His quick running skills and magic theme as opposed to science was really amusing. I loved the scene where he stomped on Meowth's head when he saved the Pikachu.

Ok Clemont, what the hell? You did NOT know that you’d eventually come across a situation where you’d need to travel to different world! If you did, you’re nuts and need serious help. Oh wait… And I’m with Jessie on this one. James’s hair hurt? What? In fact, while we’re on this topic, how the hell did real TR even get in the Mirror World? Why was that NEVER touched upon? How did they not notice? Whatever, it was still pretty funny to see Mirror Pikachu smirking as he fought them. And of course, Magic Mirror Clemont’s spell casting as opposed to an invention blasting was pretty funny. But…Clemont Kadabra. I dunno, I just think something like Abra-ka-Clemont would have been better.

Speaking of the TR battle, I liked seeing the Hawlucha's different personality. But again, I don't care much for timid characters and Crybaby Ash's Hawlucha was pretty annoying. Though I did think it was funny when Hawlucha nearly turned on its counterpart. It was also nice seeing Mirror Serena and Fennekin help out during the battle.

As for the rest of the episode, I liked the scene where the real gang pulled Ash back into the real world. But why did Ash take Pikachu off his shoulder and hold him in his arm to jump. If anything that just made everything worse since he only had one hand to work with. Overall, I did like this episode, but I wished we could have seen more out of the Mirror gang, especially their Pokemon. I would have loved to see a Mirror Bunnelby, Fletchinder, and even Chespin. And more of Mirror Dedenne and Froakie. Oh and I loved Mirror TR’s Meowth’s voice at the end. 9.5/10.

Oh God Mirror Wobbuffet's voice. AND CLEMONT RUNNING AND CASTING MAGIC! This is my favorite episode in the entire series. XD

It was a good episode, but it was one of those ordinary episodes, where the characters drift apart from the game`s plot.

I really liked this episode when I saw the original a few months back, and the dub did a pretty good job - including giving the Mirror World characters a distinct voice.

It's just not an episode I can find fault with, this is one I'll be rewatching fairly regularly.

As for the rest of the episode, I liked the scene where the real gang pulled Ash back into the real world. But why did Ash take Pikachu off his shoulder and hold him in his arm to jump. If anything that just made everything worse since he only had one hand to work with.
So he had control of Pikachu. If he just dove forward without holding Pikachu, he might have lost his grip and flown off into that zone between the worlds - at least if Ash screwed up the jump because he was holding Pikachu, they'd be together.

It was a good episode, but it was one of those ordinary episodes, where the characters drift apart from the game`s plot.
This is about the most game-plot relevant episode you could have. It explains how there can be an X and Y version of the game - parallel alternate universes.

So he had control of Pikachu. If he just dove forward without holding Pikachu, he might have lost his grip and flown off into that zone between the worlds - at least if Ash screwed up the jump because he was holding Pikachu, they'd be together.

I guess that makes sense, but I still feel it would have been better/safer if he had 2 hands available. Guess it doesn't really matter since they were destined to make it anyway.

This is about the most game-plot relevant episode you could have. It explains how there can be an X and Y version of the game - parallel alternate universes.

Oh sorry Mr. Hawlucha, but I never played the 6th genration!

Kind of funny, this one - I like it when the anime invents instead of just being a straight game adaptation. I wonder whether the end scene means that we'll see more of Team Rocket in the mirror world - though I somehow doubt it. Nice to see that the mirror world was interpreted as different rather than completely opposite, though there were some opposite ideas in there

Anyone else notice that Mirror Bonnie's little ponytail is on the opposite side from Prime Bonnie's? Just a nice little detail.

Mirror Bonnie was cute like regular Bonnie. I liked how she was very respectful to Mirror Clemont and supportive of his ideas. But at the same time, I don’t really get how she was supposed to be an opposite of Bonnie. Ok, so she spoke really proper and called Clemont “brother dear”. Doesn't seem very opposite to me, especially since normal Bonnie affectionately calls Clemont “big brother” and does show her support for him. Maybe she was supposed to seem more adult-like?

Mirror Bonnie is the opposite of regular Bonnie in terms of mannerism. Also, she's more lady-like and mature compared to the tomboyish Bonnie. I think instead of regular Bonnie who is more energetic, Mirror Bonnie is more calm. That's what I think Mirror Bonnie is supposed to be.

Mirror Bonnie is the opposite of regular Bonnie in terms of mannerism. Also, she's more lady-like and mature compared to the tomboyish Bonnie. I think instead of regular Bonnie who is more energetic, Mirror Bonnie is more calm. That's what I think Mirror Bonnie is supposed to be.

Well, I personally don't view Bonnie as being tomboyish. Maybe not as girly as Serena, but certainly not a tomboy. I will say I do believe she is supposed to be more mature and calm than regular Bonnie. Though in spite of that, she still just didn't seem to deviate from her regular world counterpart like the other characters did. I still think I could identify more similarities between the two than differences.

I was pleasantly surprised today because the concept behind the episode's plot was amazing! Except for movie 11 with Giratina and Shaymin, that has never been done before and so it was really interesting to see mirror versions of our main characters. Mirror Serena as dominant and rude brat, Mirror Clemont as sporty guy who relies on magic instead of science and Mirror Ash as a frightened crybaby. They were all portrayed in a very convincing way, although I have to say that Mirror Pikachu was almost exactly the same as the Pikachu we know. Sure, it seemed to be a little more aggressive but still I didn't see how he would be the opposite of Normal Ash's Pikachu.

All in all, a very entertaining episode that could also have been a great two-parter.

Oh, by the way, Serena worrying about Ash was quite cute, wasn't it? Writers, listen, if their friendship doesn't eventually end in a romance, I'll be very angry. Man, Ash can't be that immune to all kinds of emotions...

I rather enjoyed this episode. It was refreshing and felt fun compared to the seriousness that we've been seeing lately. I thought the concept of the mirror world in itself was cool to see. My favorite moment would have to be the opposite Team Rocket scene near the end. Overall, 10/10 for me.

I'm tempted to agree with that. At least mirror Serena does things for her own sake rather than to gain Ash's approval
Um, I know that Serena's writing isn't exactly perfect, but how does Serena seek Ash's approval?

Whatever Serena does, she does because she likes it, not because she wants to impress Ash.

I'm tempted to agree with that. At least mirror Serena does things for her own sake rather than to gain Ash's approval
Um, I know that Serena's writing isn't exactly perfect, but how does Serena seek Ash's approval?

Whatever Serena does, she does because she likes it, not because she wants to impress Ash.

I'd have to rewatch a couple of episodes to be spot on with my comments, but so far it seems that whenever Serena does anything beyond the standard travel companion cheer section, it's mere seconds before she's asking Ash what he thinks. I'm pretty sure that was true when she first made macarons, when she was making a video ... even the baking episode managed to end up being about Ash rather than Serena winning for her own sake.

When Serena's first capture rolls round I'm fully expecting her to turn right to Ash to see if he liked it. If I am mistaken in this - and I might well be - then it says a lot for Serena's writing. I want to like Serena, and I didn't mind that she doesn't have a burning dream to fulfil, but it's steadily getting to the point where I'm going to want to give her a good slap

I'd have to rewatch a couple of episodes to be spot on with my comments, but so far it seems that whenever Serena does anything beyond the standard travel companion cheer section, it's mere seconds before she's asking Ash what he thinks. I'm pretty sure that was true when she first made macarons, when she was making a video ... even the baking episode managed to end up being about Ash rather than Serena winning for her own sake.
Yes, it is true that Serena asked Ash how she looked like or what he thought, but that doesn't mean Serena does everything just to impress him. I guess the following few episodes will prove it to you as the Summer Camp arc comes up. Serena is mainly worried about herself, not Ash.

When Serena's first capture rolls round I'm fully expecting her to turn right to Ash to see if he liked it.
Why would she do that? It's a Pokémon capture. She's catching Pancham for her own sake because she wants to use it in the Tripokalons, not because she wants to impress Ash. She doesn't seek his improval.

Remember to use spoiler tags guys; its a dub review thread.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom