• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP38: Forging Forest Friendships!

Wow, I really liked the premise of this episode.

The way Froakie learned cut was pretty cool. I also liked the reference to Froakie saving Pikachu in the first episode. I wonder if this will be a reoccurring thing.

I found it funny how Hawlucha seemed to demand a fist bump from Froakie before the battle could start. And I liked how Froakie had to look back to Ash for an answer. OMG Bonnie acting a referee again! I thought it would never happen. Geez Clemont, why don’t you say you’re sending out Bunnelby, seeing as he’s, ya know, your only other Pokemon. I love how Bunnelby held his own against Hawlucha. Sucks that he got knocked out, but I did like how Froakie's dodge caused Chespin to attack his own teammate.

Froakie and Hawlucha's personality clashes were fun to see. And I'm getting pretty sick and tired of Chespin being a dick eating all the group's Poke Puffs. Thank goodness Serena intelligently made those spicy PokePuffs to punish him for doing it. I’d hope that that would get him to stop, but…I highly doubt it. Guess Serena will just have to keep burning his head off, which I’m fine with:) And then Ash gets kidnapped out of nowhere.

Wow, Pikachu uses his sense of smell to locate Ash. That was unexpected. I did like how Hawlucha and Froakie decided to work together to find Ash, but it did seemed a bit rushed. I will say this though, Hawlucha was pretty...cute in this episode. I liked the scene when he put Ash's hat back on.

And Hawlucha's lack of non-fighting type moves comes to bite him in the butt. Seriously, he needs a non fighting move if he ever plans on fighting a ghost type in the future. And what was up with Ash? He knew High Jump Kick wouldn't work of Trevenant, yet he commands a Flying Press (fighting) and Cut (normal) combo on Trevenant a few minutes later. Why? In fact, why the hell didn't Ash send out his FIRE/FLYING-type to handle this thing? Seriously, he has a Pokemon PERFECT for battling Trevanant, but he sticks with the water-type with only water and normal moves and the fighting/flying-type whose only flying move is also classified as fighting and other moves are just fighting… Sorry, but these kinds of things just irk me.

The TR battle was cool. But seriously Ash, what the hell do you mean “Who are you?” Couldn't you see them right in front of you? It seems that Ash wanted Hawlucha's failed attack to act as a distraction while Froakie did the real damage against Pumkaboo. Nice strategy. The Flying Press Cut combo was pretty good against Inkay. And damn, Clemont must have the eyesight of a Luxray if he could see Froakie make that Frubble clone. Nice to see the victory fist bump, but Hawucha's tendency to pose all the time is getting pretty...annoying.

So overall, a really great episode. 9.7/10.

This turned out to be a better episode than I expected. The whole training by a waterfall cliché's getting old - and I was expecting another bubblefrog overdosed episode - but actually, it was nicely balanced out by Hawlucha. It's not often that Ash scolds his pokémon, either. After episodes and episodes of characters treating pokémon bad behaviour as something to just be tolerated (Bad memories of cries of "Myamoswine!") it's nice to see training involve discipline as well as, well, just calling attacks again and again.

The whole instant frubble sculpture is getting hard to believe. Apparently Froakie can knock one together in half a second, and if the camera doesn't watch him do it then neither can the characters. Seriously. Everyone and their pokémon were watching Froakie and Hawlucha

A very good episode where everything fitted together pretty well!

First, the training sequence which was great to see mainly due to Froakie's and Hawlucha's unique personalities and their strength. Super Flying Cut showed that every once in a while, Ash's skills as a real and professional trainer shine through. As far as I'm concerned, he could be like that in EVERY episode.
Then, the main plot started. I was hoping that the whole story would be a little bit like that great, scary Sinnoh episode "Ghoul Daze" but that didn't seem to be the writers' intention.

. And what was up with Ash? He knew High Jump Kick wouldn't work of Trevenant, yet he commands a Flying Press (fighting) and Cut (normal) combo on Trevenant a few minutes later. Why? In fact, why the hell didn't Ash send out his FIRE/FLYING-type to handle this thing? Seriously, he has a Pokemon PERFECT for battling Trevanant, but he sticks with the water-type with only water and normal moves and the fighting/flying-type whose only flying move is also classified as fighting and other moves are just fighting… Sorry, but these kinds of things just irk me.
Well, Flying Press is actually classified as both a Flying AND Fighting-type move, so maybe he thought it would work because it's also a Flying-type. But I've got to admit that the whole scene was strange. Hawlucha flew through Trevenant which resulted in Froakie crashing into its opponent. However, Super Flying Cut was originally supposed to work differently because Froakie should have started to attack with Cut, while Hawlucha finishes off the opponent with Flying Press AFTER Froakie's move. But well, Pokemon battle mechanics being turned upside down in the Anime is something we've gotten used to, right?

All in all, I liked that those two Pokemon finally made up and now have a pretty impressive new combo at their disposal. Also, I liked even more to see a clever and professional Ash today, so I think this can rightly be called a very good episode!

. And what was up with Ash? He knew High Jump Kick wouldn't work of Trevenant, yet he commands a Flying Press (fighting) and Cut (normal) combo on Trevenant a few minutes later. Why? In fact, why the hell didn't Ash send out his FIRE/FLYING-type to handle this thing? Seriously, he has a Pokemon PERFECT for battling Trevanant, but he sticks with the water-type with only water and normal moves and the fighting/flying-type whose only flying move is also classified as fighting and other moves are just fighting… Sorry, but these kinds of things just irk me.

Well, Flying Press is actually classified as both a Flying AND Fighting-type move,

I know, I said that. Which is why it doesn't make sense. The move does damage regarding both types, therefore Ash should have known that it wouldn't have worked at all on a ghost-type.

It's kind of bad storytelling, really. It's like whoever wrote this episode was determined to have Froakie and Hawlucha use Super-Awesome-Smashy-Combo move at every opportunity, and have two Ghost-types as well. Getting round the Pumpkaboo problem was clever, but it does leave me wondering whether another species could have been substituted for Trevenant

Not sure what to say about this episode other than I really enjoyed the interactions between Froakie and Hawlucha. Fist bumps, handshakes, etc.

I think it certainly doesn't help that the anime tweaks the type immunities. A lot. It would be funny if Clemont or Prof Oak investigates when and in what situations do the immunities actually kick in, and actually publish his research. Anyone remember that "Aim for the horn" moment?

At least that incident made some internal sense. I wish the anime would make up it's mind whether Ground-types are immune or simply very highly resistant to Electric attacks though. I've never had a problem with the anime working differently to the games, but there's still such a thing as consistency

So this episode starts out with some special trainin’. And in doing so, Froakie learns the most badass move ever. CUT! And the goon squad states the obvious because what the hell else are they here for?

It was sweet that Hawlucha wanted to work together, Killer Bee style, but Froakie’s really not about that life is he? Well, it was a really good double battle, nonetheless. Bunnelby can really hold his own against Fighting-types. But was the Water Pulse against him really necessary? What was Mud Shot gonna do to Hawlucha? Considering this is the Anime, it would probably KO him…

Then it gets confusing. Hawlucha wants to work together, but Froakie can’t get in his way? Well I guess that’s why Ninjas and Luchadors don’t work together…But can I just say I loved Froakie’s Double Team while sitting down. How cool was that?

I love how Ash acts like he invents the Special Training Regiments right off the dome. He should start a service.

And then we get Serena’s lying ass. She ain’t make them Poke Puffs at home. These guys don’t know by now how much Chespin steals food? Shame on them at this point. But still, how’s Serena only gonna make Poke Puffs that Fennekin likes? What the hell do the rest of them eat?

So Ash randomly gets kidnapped by the most randomnest of Trevenant…and Serena orders Fennekin to scratch instead of using a Fire-move…well alrighty then.

“This could be the work of a Pokémon.” – Clemont.
“A Pokémon?” – Serena.

Guys…is it really…REALLY…that hard to put together? WHY THE HELL WOULD IT BE ANYTHING BUT A POKÉMON?!?!

WHAT THE F*CK?! Why does Pikachu never use Ash’s scent to find him before this?! It could save a lot of damn trouble!!

Lolz, why did I know Hawlucha would put Ash’s hat on? Now if only it was backwards…

And they High Jump Kick a Ghost-type. Hawlucha, get your sh*t together. And Bubble a Grass-type. Ash, get your sh*t together!!

Sudowoodo hanging out with Trevenant confirmed! No pun intended…

So…did Trevenant expect Ash to get immune to the net? It should hurt him less with him being a Grass-type!!

And Ash still need to get his eyes checked because we can CLEARLY SEE it’s Team Rocket ONCE AGAIN coming out of buttf*ck nowhere. How the hell did they get out of the Mirror World? I’ll only forgive them this once because Meowth’s back with the disses.

And again we go from attacking Ghosts with Fighting moves to hitting Grass-types with Water moves. But Froakie learned the Replacement Jutsu, too? Well, that makes up for it. And Hawlucha suddenly being able to fly and not just glide.

I still hate the fact that Team Rocket just go from bosses to pushovers depending on the episode. Them trying to run away here is so lame!

But whatever, it was a good episode anyway. We got to see some nice special trainin’, some bonding, and Ash screaming like a girl. I’ll give it a solid 8/10.

Silly Ash, Willo wisp wont burn your Pokemon and second time!

Super flying cut also wont hurt it...

This is technically not a filler episode because cut lel.

Why does Hawlucha not have a flying move? and Fletchinder is a thing.

Below average episode.

No mention of Clemont trying to use a ground move on a flying type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom