• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP43: Origins of Mega Evolution!

I didn't care much for this episode.

But first let's talk about the positives. Ash and his Pokemon dancing was hilarious. I especially got a kick out of Pikachu, Hawlucha, and Froakie. Fletchinder was amazing with his "air dancing". And of course Ash was amusing as hell to watch. I was cracking up right along with Clemont and Bonnie, which was also pretty funny. Even Chespin was pretty cute. If only he could be more like this rather than annoying most of the time.

I dunno why, but I feel like we haven't seen a Clemont invention in a while, so I was actually glad to see this one today. But seriously, why the hell does Clemont think using his machines on max power is a good thing? Especially considering his record. But anyway, that was funny too. Also, I'm glad Serena helped Ash to dance, aiding in his training, but why couldn't they have shown that on-screen? Sucks, that would have been nice to see. I also like how the Tower of Mastery is mainly an island that can only be accessed during certain times during the day.

And now this is where the episode gets lame. The TR plot was pretty boring and I really didn't see the need to Mega Evolve Lucario just to beat them. Especially since he won with, like, one attack. Though it was funny when everyone found out that Gurkinn's scroll had nothing to do with Mega Evolution. I will end off saying that I like how Froakie is watching the gym battle, continuing the recent trend of all of Ash's Pokemon helping out with the gyms battles in some way, (when he helped train Pikachu and Fletchling with his Frubbles and how they all faced Grant.) I'll give this episode a 5.5/10.

The TR plot was pretty boring and I really didn't see the need to Mega Evolve Lucario just to beat them. Especially since he won with, like, one attack. Though it was funny when everyone found out that Gurkinn's scroll had nothing to do with Mega Evolution.

Yeah, TR needs to learn that when someone has a Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, they should just stay out of it, not just because it's boring, but because they get they're butts handed to them every time they do, it's so predictable! Also, just something interesting I've noticed, whenever their plan involves Mega Evolution, it always seems to have a hole big enough to drive a truck through. For example, in The Bonds of Evolution, when they capture Diantha's Gardevoir they don't take her Keystone too, thus, without the item essential to Mega Evolving a Pokemon, stealing it then gets them nowhere. Jeez, glad it never made it to Giovanni, he would have had a field day with them.

Last edited:
Pokeplayer150 said:
For example, in The Bonds of Evolution, when they capture Diantha's Gardevoir they don't take her Keystone too, thus, without the item essential to Mega Evolving a Pokemon, stealing it then gets them nowhere.

I don't think the Rocket trio (or Ash and his friends, for that matter) knew about the whole "Mega Stone / Keystone" thing back then. I don't really remember the details all that well but I don't think they were around when the requirements for Mega Evolution were being explained.

I think we've established that the TRio have lost whatever competence they had in early BW. Then again, this is one instance when it would've been okay for them to get away with their target, considering how useless it would've been for them. Kinda like when they stole what they thought was a vial of perfume from Erika's gym, but they just got the stinkiest ingredient. Serves 'em right.

Seriously, did Giovanni tell them anything they needed to know, or did he just send them to Kalos so they'd be out of his hair?

Oh yeah, it's Korrina and (Mega-)Lucario time again!
I already made it clear a few weeks ago, how much I loved that mini arc, Korrina's personality, and above all, Lucario, one of my favorite Pokemon, so needless to say that this episode made me very happy one again!
OK, admittedly, things like Ash trying to dance and making a fool of himself or those rather ordinary and unspectacular rules for gym leaders were a bit unnecessary, but it was still acceptable.

All in all, a nice introduction to a hopefully great gym battle which I'm really really looking forward to!

Pokeplayer150 said:
For example, in The Bonds of Evolution, when they capture Diantha's Gardevoir they don't take her Keystone too, thus, without the item essential to Mega Evolving a Pokemon, stealing it then gets them nowhere.

I don't think the Rocket trio (or Ash and his friends, for that matter) knew about the whole "Mega Stone / Keystone" thing back then. I don't really remember the details all that well but I don't think they were around when the requirements for Mega Evolution were being explained.
I just double-checked the episode I mentioned, it shows that all of them do learn about the stones and how they relate to Mega Evolution as well as the bond required (TR found out via eavesdropping and it seems they heard the whole conversation). What they didn't know was how powerful Mega Evolution was or that it wasn't permanent. Just thought I'd try to clear that up for you.

Last edited:
I like how there just happened to be six beds. How awks would it have been if two of them had to share. Ash would've been in the floor I imagine. Oh Lucario's in one. Pokeball it I suppose.

Korrina in PJs~

What was the point of mga evolving if they just repeated the slap back Shadow Ball with Bone Rush thing?

*scroll conveniently falls into Korrina's hand*

Worst scroll ever.

Amazing roller skating tbf.

Unneeded episode, next should be good.

Seriously, did Giovanni tell them anything they needed to know, or did he just send them to Kalos so they'd be out of his hair?

Probably to get them out of his hair, but if he really wanted to get something done, he should have sent a duo that was actually competent, like Biff and Cassidy or Attila and Hun, the latter of which probably being the better choice (See Legend of Thunder).

My word, get this gym battle over with so we never have to hear that voice ever again. Chespin is still the best character on this show, by the way.

DUDES!! Homegirl's back! Yaaass!! I wasn't expecting her to be back already~

LMAO at Ash's face when Korrina told him he couldn't go to the Gym. But the dancing has to be the funniest thing I've seen yet. Why couldn't Hawlucha do some kind of Mexican Hat Dance? Pikachu's dancing is adorable and so was Froakie's.

Bonnie basically just said Ash looked like he was drunk while dancing! LOL! Truer words have never been spoken. Who in the hell was he watching when he learned that?

There's no way Clemont should be allowed to build anything that should ever go on a human's body.

And here comes Serena's trolling ass. If she's such an "excellent" dancer, why didn't she say anything sooner?

First of all, how come the path only appears at certain times? Secondly, why is that not in the games? That's awesome, though I guess it would be inconvenient. Thirdly, why is the Gym in the Tower of Mastery? That's sick as hell.

Why do they keep saying, "The fact is..." before everything? Whatever happened to "Ya see..."

Gurkinn is the soundest sleeper I've ever seen. Also, they didn't even consider taking the dude's Key Stone, which was right there on his hand that he sleeps with above the sheet cover...

DAMN Korrina's hair is long. I always wondered what it would look like down. The running up those stairs cinematics were pretty cool.

And all of that for some health rules you'd tell a Pre-Schooler. We really worked our asses off for that? This man may be an even bigger troll than Cedric. I'm especially loving that: "Eat in moderation, even if it's delicious." Hehehe...

Whoever animated all of that skating for Korrina to get her ass down to the battlefield, kudos to you. That sh*t looked so hype.

For some reason, I really enjoyed this episode. Not much really happened, but what we got was hilarious or just really entertaining. All in all, a good episode, and it could have been much better if not for the unnecessary inclusion of Team Rocket again. This episode gets a 9/10.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom