• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

REVIEW: S18 EP12: A Showcase Debut!

Reaction score
First, I'll start with my thoughts.

I'm predicting many people are going to complain about the sunrise crying scene, with the replaced AZ/Snowbelle City medley and Haven Paschall's emotion.

But I think the dub did this pretty well. It's very hard to make a fake performance of crying if you're not upset yourself. But I think Paschall's performance was good for a first (second?) time. And I kind of think kids her (Serena's) age do cry like that.

I liked the music the dub used during the sunrise scene. Although not as melancholy as the Japanese AZ/Snowbelle City medley, I think the dub sets the mood right. In fact, I think the TPCi dub music has gotten a lot better ever since the XY series started, and I could really tell with the music in this episode.

Everyone else's voice performance was great, and Pierre really gives the French air to Kalos.

I liked how TPCi made this episode mostly a straight translation as well, so it kept all the drama and feels with Palermo and Serena's loss/transformation from the Japanese version.

EDIT: As for the episode itself, what Sakuraa said is almost exactly as I felt.

9.5/10

Last edited:
Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Wow...amazing. That was seriously worth the wait. I loved almost every minute of this episode.

First off, I loved the beginning where Pancham and Fennekin had the accessories Serena got them in the last episode and later when Shauna and Serena shook hands as rivals. Second, I LOVE Pokemon Showcases. If they were in the games, I'd play them non-stop. There were lots of things I liked about the first round. You really have to think quickly with what they put in those little rooms to decide how you want to dress up your Pokemon. I loved the fact that the girl with the Furfrou gave hers a Pharaoh cut since it's one we hadn't see much of before and it's one of my favorites:) I liked how Bulbasaur added some props on her bulb while Shauna was paining her face. Jessie...I don't even know what she was thinking. I wasn't surprised at all that she barely got any votes. I agreed completely. It looks like she just grabbed a bunch of stuff and threw it on Pumpkaboo. Glad that Shauna got the most votes. Also, LOVED the Heliolisk's and Dragonite’s outfits. I also love Monsieur Pierre.

I thought the outfit Serena made for Fennekin was nice and I loved the flashbacks that played when she was dressing her up. The scene where Fennekin fell was jawdropping. The fact that the music stopped really added to that effect. I felt so bad for Fennekin when she started crying. I really didn't expect Serena to lose like that. I really did like how Pancham tried to comfort her.

I liked Shauna's performance in the second round and it was great to see another of her Pokemon. I just wish it could have been a bit longer The ending where Bulbasaur was balancing on its vines was awesome. I'm totally glad that she ended up winning the entire thing.

The scene on the dock was marvelous. Seeing Serena break down was one thing, but her Pokemon tearing up as well made it really powerful. And again, the flashbacks that played right before she cut her hair was great. It truly does seem like Serena has made a transformation. I'm also really interested in Palermo. She's seems a bit sassy and yet so mysterious. Hope we get to see more of her in the future.

Finally, I'm really liking Serena's knew look and I love how they're showing off customization from the games. There were 2 things I loved about this scene. One, Pancham and Fennekin "presenting" Serena to the others and two, Ash having his hand on Bonnie's head when she was upset by Serena's new look. That was cute.

Overall this was a fabulous episode. 10/10.

Just call me EC!
Reaction score
Wasn't going to watch this whole thing, wanted to skip to the end for the mid-childhood-crisis scene, but decided if I could make it through contests in 3 different regions, I could sit through this.

Some notes I took...

Why could James and Meowth be out of disguise in Hoenn, Kanto and Sinnoh while watching Jessie compete, but not here?
Now instead of ribbons it's keys? Quite the downgrade. And also it only takes 3 of them to compete in the big finale, not 5?
The emcee is very annoying as well. At leas the contest ladies didn't talk this much. Goodness.
Honestly? Jessie's design was the best.
Okay, I take back what I said about the emcee. He's not that bad.

Okay, I guess showcases aren't that bad. I miss the battling aspect though.

Moe

Reaction score
These events would be unbelievably boring for people in the audience to watch - 10 minutes at a time of looking at a cage while they do make-up?

Ideally there'd be another stage as well - given there were so many people still in there for the final round, to be decided by just a straight vote is weird. Team Rocket should just pay people to vote for Jessie, or find a way to break the voting sticks so that they control them - or steal Pikachu, and somehow have that be relevant. Seems easily manipulated unlike the judging scheme of contests.

I suppose the lower number of keys vs ribbons is simply because we're starting this stuff so far into the series - if the goal is to get Serena to that final tournament, it's going to be really tightly packed over the next year, especially if she loses a few times between now and then.

Really not sure why this needed to be gender specific, needlessly rules out letting Ash have a go at it and showing of his sense of style again. Though maybe one for Ashley.

Hopefully there's an updated opening and title screen next week for Serena's new design.

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Eh I'm not really into the Showcases. Was just waiting on Serena's new design. I mean it was alright but how far can you take something like this in a show like Pokemon. Just seems to be to attract young females.

I liked the design of the chick with the Meowstick, I hope we see more of her.

Anyway we'll see what happens with these Showcases but I would've preferred something actually in the games, such as continuing with the PR Videos.

Reaction score
I thought that this episode was pretty darn great. It felt like it was a step up from the usual level, episode direction-wise.

First, I'll start with my thoughts.

I'm predicting many people are going to complain about the sunrise crying scene, with the replaced AZ/Snowbelle City medley and Haven Paschall's emotion.

But I think the dub did this pretty well. It's very hard to make a fake performance of crying if you're not upset yourself. But I think Paschall's performance was good for a first (second?) time. And I kind of think kids her (Serena's) age do cry like that.

I liked the music the dub used during the sunrise scene. Although not as melancholy as the Japanese AZ/Snowbelle City medley, I think the dub sets the mood right. In fact, I think the TPCi dub music has gotten a lot better ever since the XY series started, and I could really tell with the music in this episode.

Everyone else's voice performance was great, and Pierre really gives the French air to Kalos.

I liked how TPCi made this episode mostly a straight translation as well, so it kept all the drama and feels with Palermo and Serena's loss/transformation from the Japanese version.

EDIT: As for the episode itself, what Sakuraa said is almost exactly as I felt.

9.5/10
To comment on the music:

Honestly, I've been enjoying a lot of TPCi's music in XY. There are quite a few pieces and themes that standout, and I love the different motifs and variations of them that they use (like Serena's accordion theme, and that adventurous theme that sometimes plays at either the beginning of an episode or towards the end). I feel that this coherence is something has been missing in the dub since the beginning, and I think it's something that's really benefiting the dub compositions and music placement.

For example, the "Pokemon Showcase" dub theme that played a couple of times in this episode. The theme first debuted in XY21 during Serena's PokeVision video, but instead of ending up as a one-off theme, other more subtle and low-key variations of it started to be used extensively, almost making a second theme for Serena whenever Pokemon Showcases are the subject. In that light it makes the sadder, low-key version used during Serena's breakdown rather fitting, particularly if you're a dub-only watcher. It's certainly better than whatever random piece TPCi would have thrown at viewers during DP or BW.

That said, I would still very much like for TPCi to keep the original score, especially when it's an extremely pivotal piece of music in an episode or one based on a video game composition. That AZ piece used in the Japanese version during the haircut scene was absolutely gorgeous, and I reeeeeally wish they kept it in the dub.

Angelic Champion
Reaction score
First, I have to say that I'm absolutely not into Pokemon showcase. I'm not sure why they introduced it to the show but neither is it important nor is it half as exciting as contests were. Also, I hope there won't be many episodes revolving around this totally girlie-like thing because if you belong to the male audience, it's simply a pain in the neck to sit through episodes like this one. I don't want Pokemon to pick up every trend on TV and go into that fashion nonsense. That's not Pokemon, that's just ridiculous if you ask me.

Also, why Jessie lost is really beyond me! Isn't it the declared goal of the contest to bring out the best of your Pokemon? If so, then Jessie did a great job by turning Pumpkaboo into a scarecrow, because after all it fit this rather eerie ghost-type Pokemon perfectly. One more reason why fashion shows are illogical and subjective.

Ok, after surviving 17 minutes of this fashion-centered episode, I was confident that at least the scene at the docks would make up for the boring fashion show and it actually began in a very promising way but then...OH MY GOD! Serena, either you're crazy or you're totally nuts because why in the world did you have to come up with that horrible idea of cutting your hair? You had really beautiful, long hair but now you look like...Sorry I'm still looking for words to describe it. You should be punished for doing that!

No further comments from my side. I'm glad the episode is over.

Reaction score
Serena, either you're crazy or you're totally nuts because why in the world did you have to come up with that horrible idea of cutting your hair? You had really beautiful, long hair but now you look like...Sorry I'm still looking for words to describe it. You should be punished for doing that!
In Asian culture cutting long hair to short is a symbol forgetting your past problems, leave the old and start anew.

That's what they were going with for Serena, she knows her mistakes and now is gaining a new step into her goal.

Prepare for over-used stock animation!
Reaction score
I wasn't at all surprised they got rid of the silence during the scene where Serena lost and the beginning of the haircut scene but it still stung all the same. The music they used during the haircut scene was passable, and certainly better than anything 4Kids would have used, but the original still would have been much better. Team Rocket had terrible dialogue as usual (they seem to have replaced alliteration with just saying random words and hoping they'd make sense? Like seriously most of the dialogue exchange between the trio was so weird that I could barely even understand what they were even trying to say. They really need new scriptwriters.) but I kind of liked Michele Knotz's performance as Jessie. Haven Paschall's performance was pretty good and I liked the voice they had for Palermo.

But oh god the voice they had for the announcer. Like okay, we get it TPCi, this is Pokemon's equivalent of France. That doesn't excuse you for okaying that...performance....

Reaction score
But oh god the voice they had for the announcer. Like okay, we get it TPCi, this is Pokemon's equivalent of France. That doesn't excuse you for okaying that...performance....
Well, we haven't really had any characters speak with a French accent in the dub of XY, IIRC.

Protecting Gotham City
Reaction score
So this was the episode where Serena changed her look. (I'm still in the process of catching up on what I've missed.) I have to admit, I prefer her original look. The current one is a little too baggy for my taste. And I didn't realize that it came about via an "important haircut", which is one trope I didn't expect to see in Pokemon. Nice to see that she's learning from Ash about working towards one's goals and never giving up, though. The little scene with the ribbon was cute. :)

#TeamScorbunny
Reaction score
So this is the episode where Serena gets a redesign. So now I can say this: I HATE HER REDESIGN. It's just so... stupid. Even after watching this it still seems very silly. And it gets worse!
I was shocked about her change of looks, as you can't make an exact look-alike in-game anymore (the jacket/shirt/skirt combo is unavailable in the games.) I think that the outfit should be available as DLC for X and Y
If it WERE possible to make an in-game look-alike I would of been willing to forgive the writers, but no. Now she looks like a completely different person, and again, even after watching this there is no real justification for it. ...wait, what's this?
Serena, either you're crazy or you're totally nuts because why in the world did you have to come up with that horrible idea of cutting your hair? You had really beautiful, long hair but now you look like...Sorry I'm still looking for words to describe it. You should be punished for doing that!
In Asian culture cutting long hair to short is a symbol forgetting your past problems, leave the old and start anew.

That's what they were going with for Serena, she knows her mistakes and now is gaining a new step into her goal.
Ok, there's SOME justification, but I still hate it.

Eternally loyal to the dub and TPCi
Reaction score

Most definitely. Though personally, just because I felt like it, I went back and rewatched that scene and played this over it. If you've seen LoK Book 4, you'll know why.