• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP27: Rivals: Today and Tomorrow!

I enjoyed this episode for the most part, mainly because of Sawyer and Grovyle vs. Frogadier.

I'm really starting to like Sawyer more and more. I’ve even gotten used to his dub voice, even if it isn’t as cute as in the original. Oh c'mon. Are you telling me none of them saw or heard Sawyer’s book fall on the ground. That’s ridiculous.

OMG Treecko was sooooo cute when he was eating that PokePuff:) And damn, Sawyer looked pretty adorable eating his cake too. Lol Sawyer, since when does eating equate to being good at battling. I did think it was hilarious that Ash told him he didn’t need a note to remember his advice. Sawyer’s reaction to his missing notebook was pretty funny too. Well I don't blame him. Clearly it's very important to him with all his notes. I actually find it very interesting that he writes everything down in battles to create strategies to win. I love how Bonnie demanded to Clemont to make a machine to find the notebook.

Aw, Slurpuff licking everyone was so cute. I lol'd at Bonnie asking Slurpuff to lick her. I wonder why Ash didn't send out all of his Pokemon to help look for the book like the others? And with that, I wonder why Sawyer didn’t think to send out Slurpuff when Clemont and Serena sent out their teams.

Moving on, we get the book back, TR blast off, and we even learn of Serena's next Showcase location (FINALLY!:) yay. Now for the battle.

The battle pretty much went how I expected. I thought maybe Sawyer could have beat Hawlucha with Slurpuff, but I'm not shocked at all by the result. Actually, I'm quite impressed with how Hawlucha has been doing battling Fairy-types. I find it funny that I doubted him so much in the gym battle. I know Frogaider vs. Grovyle was the main fight, but I do wish the other two battles were a bit longer. I mean Bagon and Slurpuff were both literally knocked out in two hits. And geez Sawyer, don't just pull out your notebook to start writing in the middle of battle. Actually, with that said, I found it a bit weird that Ash didn't give Sawyer an opportunity to take down his notes before going for his next attack. I just thought he'd be nice like that to the newbie, but I guess not. Lol.

Treecko/Grovyle vs. Frogadier was awesome. Man, why do they keep changing the way Frogaider uses Areial Ace? First it was a punch and a kick, then it was blade hands, and now it's back to punching and kicking. Well, at least that keeps it interesting. Lol, I loved Frogadier's expression when he was dodging Bullet Seed. And man, Treecko evolved much sooner than I expected. Rivalry confirmed for the badass middle stage starters:)

Nice episode overall. 8/10.

The battle just showed the gulf in class between Ash and Sawyer. I still don't think Sawyer will beat Ash as long as he sticks to using that notebook for everything. He got better during Frogadier vs Grovyle, but that being said the only noticeable damage he did to Frogadier was the early Bullet Seed while it was still Treecko (I don't think that they did damage to each other in that Cut-Leaf Blade moment). Maybe if they meet in the Kalos League he could push Ash further than he did here but winning seems to be too far of a stretch.

Steven's dub voice just... argh... I really don't like it. It doesn't sound like a Champion's voice to me, his Japanese voice is a lot better IMO.

Still, I did like the episode.

Until the battle near the end the episode was non eventful. Take away that battle and it was needless. The battle made it watchable.

Bleh episode this week.

Also don't think Ash should've won 3-0.

Very boring filler ep, although I guess it could be classified as non filler, if its setting up for Sawyer to beat Ash at the Pokemon League, I think Sawyer is meant to be like the boy with Riolu in Unova but done right ie not squeezed in right at the end

Lol can't wait to see Frogadier vs Mega Sceptile at the league with Mega Sceptile getting its revenge on Frogadier.

Lol can't wait to see Frogadier vs Mega Sceptile at the league with Mega Sceptile getting its revenge on Frogadier.

I'd prefer a Greninja vs Sceptile

It wouldn't surprise me if we get megas of the 6th gen starters in the 3rd Kalos game, purely a theory at this point, but we got mega Hoenn starters for ORAS. I predict mega 6th gen starters and that's it for this gen. Mega 2nd & 4th gen starters in the next generation. I slightly went off topic, but I don't see them not giving Ash a mega, or having bring one of his old Pokémon back to achieve mega evolution just before the league. It would be HIGHLY anticipated, and I would watch no doubt. I just don't want them to give up on Ash so easily as before, he was portrayed strongly in this episode, but only because I feel Sawyer's notebook was distracting him from battling intensely and decisively.

Grovyle vs. Frogadier was a great battle though. I'm just still annoyed that Team Rocket didn't mention that they had been to the Devon Corp. in Hoenn a couple of years back, or that Ash had a Treecko/has a Sceptile at some point......... I know their catering to the newer fans of the anime, but give us some hope...

This episode kinda begs the question as to

1) Which Mega will Ash get. (most speculation I've read points to MC-Y)

2) If Ash and Steven will ever meet again.

Other than that, a decent episode overall, both in the Japanese and English dub.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom