• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP33: A Festival Trade! A Festival Farewell?

This was a cute episode. The owner of that prince Pumpkaboo was one of the strangest-looking characters I've seen in this show. I got a big laugh when Bonnie said "look at all my goods." It sounded like she said "look at all my Gods."

I'm sure i'm not the only one to think this, but, The Gourgeist Festival seems a little too much like Halloween

1. People and animals dressing up in costumes

2. Exchanging sugary treats

3. Doing so at night

4. Having Pumpkin themed props (those bowls at the end were practically jack-o-lanterns)

So for hundreds of episodes, Our Gang has frequently failed to see through even the TRio's flimsiest disguises...and now, it's the TRio who get fooled by Our Gang's costumes. Kinda weird bit of poetic justice, as well as reinforcing the idea that this world is seriously lacking in ophthalmologists. (For the record, I had to go on Wikipedia to figure out how to spell that. I hate words that I have trouble spelling. Or pronouncing.)

And Jessie's back to being comically wishy-washy. She makes a good speech about how nothing can break the bond between trainer and Pokémon--until the promise of Mega Evolution comes up, and then it's "All righty then! Let's do this!" So much for that nice little speech. And speaking of speeches, she makes another one about how it's bad to depend on Mega Evolution. During the phase of the anime that introduced Mega Evolution, and has spent several episodes showing us how awesome it is. Are TPTB really gonna undermine established game mechanics like that? I'm starting to suspect that the staff has a collective case of bipolar disorder. Or something. (I am, admittedly, not a psychologist. If any actual psychs wanna weigh in, go ahead.)

It was a really good episode with great moments if only there hadn't been that silly count ...:conangry: I'm angry because the rest of episode and the conversations in particular were really mature and serious, but then we got that childish and kitschy-looking castle and a count who looked like a fantasy character in a cartoon for infants... This was so damn unnecessary!!:banghead: Also, was his accent supposed to be German?? That sounded just horrible!

Apart from that, I really enjoyed the portrayal of the main characters' quirks, above all Jessie's!
DracoMan said:
I'm starting to suspect that the staff has a collective case of bipolar disorder. Or something. (I am, admittedly, not a psychologist. If any actual psychs wanna weigh in, go ahead.)
haha, I laughed so hard when I read that but let me tell you something, my friend: This is how women work :D And that's the reason why I called the episode mature. Because it had plenty of more or less hidden allusions to charcter traits that you can find in our world as well. Great!
But poor James and Meowth! I can understand them so well in those scenes when they are in the background with their faces down to the floor thinking "OMG...that girl..." :D

Also, awesome costumes, Pikachu and Chespin! Ash looking like a fat Snorlax is something I still have to get used to, though.

And last but not least, tell me why they need that huge machine to trade Pokemon? As long as I've been watching this show, I've never got to understand that! How about just exchanging the Pokeballs???
Besides, trading Pokemon should be forbidden anyways because it totally contradicts the message that the show keeps conveying, namely that the bond between trainer and Pokemon is never-ending.

Anyways, a nice episode and good entertainment!

Not the best episode ever, but a very cute one. I like it especially because Pumpkaboo never really got the spotlight before, she was just sort of there and was literally caught just after she popped out of the ground way back in episode 11. James's Inkay had its episode in Facing the Grand Design!, so I'm glad Pumpkaboo gets this episode even though it's a little bit a lot less intense.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, I thought it was kind of funny how Jessie's Gourgeist was the super size one and she had the high voice while all the others' voices were a lot lower :).

By the way, about that part with James and Meowth missing Jessie's birthday: it was like that in the original Japanese version of this episode.

First off how did Serena fit all those massive costumes into that tiny box? Is she Mary Poppins now? And why does she even have them in the first place. Who makes tiny Corphish costumes for something Dedenne size, and when/why did Serena think she would need it?

Also we've had Christmas in pokemon before, why are they not calling Halloween, halloween, why are they basically having halloween in a different name?

Interesting how pumpkaboo never had much screen time to this point and Jessie never showed any particular fondness until now. It seemed so forced to suddenly add those cutscenes about how close they were, like it looking after her when she was ill and celebrating her birthday!

And why does the trade machine look so awful now???

"The soup bowls look just like gourgeist" um no serena, no they dont!

Overall it was an ok filler, nothing great.

I'm alright with Monsieur Pierre's sketchy French accent but the Count's German accent was absolutely ridiculous, in the hilarious way mind you. What the hell was that?! :p

It's an alright episode but having to sit through Jessie being her usual arrogant, contradictory self got a little tedious, possibly amplified as I watched the original version. But still.

Meowth's subtle reference to the events of DP178 was a highlight for me. (If it was a subtle reference at all)

Overall, the episode wasn't remarkable, but it did have some worthwhile moments. Seeing the town's pseudo-Gothic architecture was pretty neat too.

Literally the only things I liked about this episode were Ash and his friends and their Pokemon dressed up in Poke costumes (Pikachu as Psyduck was adorable) and Meowth's callback of losing love due to an evolution. Jessie's hypocritical speech after Pumpkaboo evolved was ridiculous.

.5/10.

The costumes in this episode were incredible. Just absolutely incredible. Great episode!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom