• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP35: Adventures in Running Errands!

...why not send Serena? or Bonnie? Or Joy? or a Pokemon that can fly?

Why was that Fearow a dick for no reason?

What was Team Rocket's plan?

Why would a bunch of 10 year olds be able to fix a building? why would you let the 10 year olds? (mainly at Ash)

How the hell did Pikachu and Luxray last that long?

How does so much food come out of one can any why did Bunnelby not get 'as much as you want' too?

These answers will be answered on the next episode of never.

It was bleh. Had some fun moments but it's filler as they get.

Most of this could've been sorted by Joy and surely TR should've just aimed to steal the money.

Ps, was that Clemont's money? using the Centres would've been better since they would've paid for a handyman anyway.

TPCI had Chespin and Bunnelby making noise through the whole montage scene and that really bothered me.

In the original version we only got sound from Harimaron and Horubbi and anything else in the start and end.

Having them speaking throughout it ruins the whole point of it, that it was supposed to be a montage scene.

Last edited:
TPCI had Chespin and Bunnelby making noise through the whole montage scene, that bothered me a lot.

In the original version, Harimaron and Horubbi only made noise in the beginning and end of the montage.

Having them speak throughout it ruins the whole point of it, that it was supposed to be a montage scene.

The original went for artsy, the dub went for funny. Honestly, I don't have a preference between those two approaches.

Also, I would've loved to see Chespin actually buy the fuse Clemont sent him to the store to get.

I thought this was an okay episode.

Clemont's invention sure looked cool, but I expected it to blow up:/ I lol'd when he said it would take a day to give the weather results and Bonnie noted how it probably wouldn't even be raining anymore once that happened. That was hilarious. I honestly think Clemont made up for that failure by stepping in to repair the generator in the Pokemon center. OMG, I actually gasped, when Ash slipped on the roof. Lol. I liked how he had Frogadier use his frubbles to make sure he didn't slip again. Ok, is there any particular reason why no one woke Dedenne up to help Pikachu and Luxray? And seriously Clemont? Something in the generator blew up while you were trying to fix it:/ Aw man.

Aw, Bonnie and Serena looked so cute dressed like Nurse Joy. Ok seriously, why didn't anyone wake Dedenne. Luxray and Pikachu were clearly exhausted. Ugh, whatever.

I actually found Bunnelby and Chespin's little adventure amusing. As expected, Chespin kept getting off task while Bunnelby had to bring him back to the mission. I loved their teamwork against the Fearow and later against TR. I especially liked when they hid behind Ash but were secretly planning their own attack before Ash even brought his Pokemon to battle TR. Also, Fletchinder slicing through Shadow Ball was badass as hell.

Okay, something that really pissed me off was the ending where Chespin received constant praise and extra food for running the errand while Bunnelby got nothing. Seriously, Bunnelby was focused on the mission the entire time while Chespin kept getting distracted. Now I know Clemont didn't know that, but that's what makes it more annoying. I know what happened on the trip and to see Clemont's response upon their return was so infuriating. At least give them both equal praise and rewards. And similar to that, Bonnie's proud of Dedenne? For what, sleeping for most of the time Clemont was working while Pikachu and Luxray did all the work? And Bonnie actually saw Dedenne sleeping, so I can't excuse her.

Just want to mention some other little touches I liked, such as Serena wiping rain off Bonnie and Bunnelby mopping in the beginning of the episode. Overall, an okay episode. The only thing that really annoyed me were Dedenne's uselessness, Bunnelby's lack of praise, and TR. I'll give it a 7/10.

Okay, I gotta ask: Is Clemont a competent engineer or not? He makes a completely superfluous invention go boom early on, yet he successfully fixes the Pokémon Center's power systems. I really don't get it. And speaking of superfluous, does Poke-Earth not have any equivalent of The Weather Channel? Why build a gadget that takes 24 hours to figure out something that can be shown in five seconds on TV?

There were shades of "Sparks Fly for Magnemite" and "A Chansey Operation," but nothing too severely rehashed. I will say, however, that Pokémon Centers really need to start installing backup generators. At least the one in Viridian City had plenty of Pika-power ready to go.

Okay, I gotta ask: Is Clemont a competent engineer or not? He makes a completely superfluous invention go boom early on, yet he successfully fixes the Pokémon Center's power systems. I really don't get it. And speaking of superfluous, does Poke-Earth not have any equivalent of The Weather Channel? Why build a gadget that takes 24 hours to figure out something that can be shown in five seconds on TV?

There were shades of "Sparks Fly for Magnemite" and "A Chansey Operation," but nothing too severely rehashed. I will say, however, that Pokémon Centers really need to start installing backup generators. At least the one in Viridian City had plenty of Pika-power ready to go.

The one thing I noticed is that some Clemont's inventions have insane names that made it obvious that they are not made for any realistic situations. Those which are actually useful did not explode, as they are tested multiple times already. Those that exploded are things he made in free time for situations that are realistically not going to happen, therefore no opportunity to actually do test runs. No inventions succeed at the first try right?

About the weather forecast machine, maybe he thought the weather forecast on the TV covered big areas instead of like, exactly outside of this Pokemon Center, therefore he invented it, but never realistically find the opportunity to try it out. So..... BOOM!

Okay, I gotta ask: Is Clemont a competent engineer or not? He makes a completely superfluous invention go boom early on, yet he successfully fixes the Pokémon Center's power systems. I really don't get it.
Clemont is competent alright.

XY048 shows that even when he was younger, he was able to build a "Clemontic Shower" that allows electric types to absorb electricity. Then he has built a legit robot 'Clembot' which fights instead of him and not to mention Clemont's backpack. So yeah, Clemont is competent, but it appears that in the anime the degree of competence varies depending on the scene. If it's meant for comic relief, Clemont's machine will explode, however I should point that even in such cases, Clemont's machines actually help accomplish something rather than being totally useless.

I agree with @Tsutarja;, Clemont is competent. Most of his inventions that have self-destructed were more of spur-of-the-moment inventions. Basically an almost random idea that popped into his head and decided to make it into a machine. But he has proven his skill, as evident by his Clemontic Gear, Aipom Arm, Clembot, and the Clemontic Shower, and not all his other inventions have gone kablooie. The cake cutter in the Diantha episode and the flower detector in the previous episode worked just fine (though the latter needed a little modification first), so not all his invention go kaboom. I think that, when he puts a lot of heavy thought and planning into his ideas, then they work almost picture perfectly, but when it's a more random idea, like most of his inventions, then they're not as well designed, which results in the trademark explosion. So, yes, he is competent, it's just move of his ideas are random and spur-of-the-moment, so the time and effort put into them isn't as heavy as those that he devoted the time to. So the fact that he could repair the Pokemon Center's main system does prove his skill, as he put the time and effort into it, while most of his usual inventions didn't get that kind of dedication, so they're more haphazard and run a higher risk of malfunctioning.

I actually already saw this dub episode from when it aired in Canada on October 3.

To be honest I didn't expect an episode about something so ordinary being so entertaining!
What I liked in particular was how everybody fulfilled a certain task to help get the Pokemon Center up and running again: Clemont fixing the electricity, Ash and his Pokemon fixing the roof and last but not least Chespin and Bunnelby getting that fuse. (I'll deliberately leave out Serena and Bonnie because their outfit was pretty superfluous I'd say). But of all the characters who were involved today, it was Clemont's Pokemon that made the episode for me because their interactions were hilarious. Chespin happily and proudly walking down that road while Bunnelby was having that "OMG"-expression was priceless. I also liked that Ash didn't have to help out but that the two Pokemon were able to handle TRio on their own.

One thing I was really angry about, though: I totally agree with you that it was unacceptable that Chespin got all the praise and the extra food although Bunnelby contributed to the success of their mission at least as much as Chespin did. It shows that some of our heroes' Pokemon definitely need more attention.

All in all, a classical filler, yet with many nice and funny moments, so I enjoyed watching this episode!

Whenever Clemont says that he envisaged a situation like this happening I generally go "yeah... no you didn't", but a weather predictor seems like a general purpose invention so I was kinda fine with it that time.

I thought the episode had funny moments despite being very fillery. I prefer last week's episode on the whole, however.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom