• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP02: Love Strikes! Eevee, Yikes!

In my opinion, Hariborg's voice in the original Japanese version sounded better than Quilladin's in the English dub.

Liked the episode, from Horubee and Eevui being shown together, to actually seeing a Hariborg being competent-- very good stuff.

Musashi should keep Seed Bomb in mind as it can counter Horubee using Pumpjin.

Ew, Qualladins voice sounded like way too much of Jimmy Zoppi's work. I prefer Hariborg's.

8/10

Eh, so this was a weird one.

First off, I like that the episode started with the group telling Sycamore about Squishy. Lol at Bonnie spinning when he just wanted her to spin Squishy. I also liked seeing Bonnie brushing Eevee and Serena sewing a pouch for Squishy of Bonnie's satchel. Okay, I really didn't like that Quilladin essentially just came out of nowhere when Eevee and Serena were practicing for the Showcase and just immediately fell in love with her on sight. Also, am I the only one who thought it was odd that Serena had both Eevee and Pancham out of their Pokeballs, but not Braxien. I dunno why, but it just felt so odd for her not to be there with the other two.

Anyway, lol at Quilladin's glowing heart shaped Vine Whip. Nice to see Pancham and Chespin not fighting once again, but instead trying to protect Eevee together. Ok, if Quailladin had a crush on Eevee, why the hell was he attacking her? This guy has weird ways of expressing his love. But aside from that, I lol'd when he fainted after seeing all of Eevee's Double Team copies. And then we have Pancham and Chespin comforting Quilladin when he just attacked them and their friend. This episode is weird, man.

I don't get why Quilladin seemed to think beating up Pancham would make Eevee all of a sudden fall for him, but whatever. He's a weirdo and so is Ash who's just like "alright a battle", unlike Serena who clearly understands that that's NOT how you try to get a girl. I thought Quilladin's reaction upon seeing Eevee so comfortable with Bunnelby was hilarious. I also really liked the hearts that appeared before versus screen. With the battle being so short, I didn't think much of it, but I have to say Pancham dodging the 1st Rollout was swag. I liked Bunnebly's nervous expression during the battle. And wow, Eevee just fell asleep on it. It was so hilarious with how much Quilladin was failing in his quest to woo Eevee.

So, are Pancham and Chespin officially friends now? I know they worked together when they fought Quilladin earlier in the episode, but I figured that was because they both wanted to protect Eevee. But their interaction when they switched during the battle seemed like something you'd see from any other Pokemon who never had a rivalry. If they are friends, thank goodness and FINALLY. If they're not and they just didn't fight today...well at least they didn't fight today.

I have to say, I loved Quilladin's Who's that Pokemon music.

Props to Bunnelby chewing through the net to free everyone and carrying Dedenne and Squishy. I like how Bunnelby stepped up to fight TR to protect the others with Dedenne joining in too. But seriously, why do they always get knocked out so quickly when the gang isn't around? Whatever. I thought it was pretty funny that Squishy was about to transform before Ash and co. showed up. I just don't get why Pancham, Quiladin, and Chespin had been arguing so much up until this point.

Lol, after that all that Quilladin still tried to win Eevee over. But seriously, after that he just runs off to chase a Flareon? This guy's like Oshawott isn't he? Oh well, at least he's gone forever. And lastly, I swear I heard Pancham say "Chespin" a few times in this episode. But I was probably just hearing things:p

Wow, this turned out being a lot longer than I planned, lol. Overall, a weird, funny, and actually entertaining episode. 6.5/10.

Sereevee is pretty much the cutest thing ever. At this point I would honestly rather it never evolve. This was a pretty funny episode as a whole. It was cool to see Bunnelby use wild charge as I feel we haven't seen that in a long time, and Bunnelby was pretty much a boss in this episode, protecting the group and chewing through the net. I thought it was interesting Dedenne was more willing to fight than Eevee was. I wasn't sure if they were implying the Chespin and Pancham were in love with Eevee too or not, haven't had a in group love story since Buneary unless Meloetta counts as part of the group. I guess this is when we guarantee Eevee is a girl, although that was never in doubt. Also thought it was odd they chose a Flareon for Quilladin to chase after, as they are super rare and we hardly ever see them and yet one just shows up at a perfect time. The focus on squishy wasn't too bad for this episode, but I can see that getting really annoying really fast.

As far as filler episodes go, I really enjoyed this one. I think the best word to describe it is cute, because there are a lot of moments in it that made me laugh. Squishy is still adorable, and its mannerisms are a joy to watch - the timing of its relaxed expression and the subtle motions it makes as it moves are very well done.

I'm not real thrilled with the overall premise of this episode. I completely get that Pokémon, while they have natural instincts akin to those of animals, have very humanlike emotional ranges, including matters of the heart. That said, the whole "Pokémon in love" business has been used so much in the anime, and it was kind of randomly put into this episode. Also, Quilladin's advances didn't really serve to help Eevee break out of her shell by the end of the episode - I'd at least liked to have seen Eevee walk up to Quilladin or something to show that she's getting more comfortable opening up to wild Pokémon. But maybe it's a bit soon for that. Also, did anyone else think Quilladin's Pokédex entry was unusually long? After the first sentence, I expected it to stop, but then it kept right on going. It's not a complaint, but it just took me by surprise a little bit. They're usually shorter than that. But Bonnie's reaction to the Pokédex was priceless: "Chespin evolves into that?" I love the voice Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld uses when portraying Bonnie as disappointed or sarcastic, and in my opinion that line was the single funniest thing about this episode.

I have to say that the battles in this episode were fantastic - especially the one between Quilladin and Pancham. I really like how confident at battling Serena's getting, and she didn't even need encouragement from Ash during the battle - she ran the whole show herself, and I like seeing that from her when she's not on a stage. The duel between Quilladin and Chespin was great as well, although that match was interrupted by Team Rocket. And speaking of Team Rocket... I think they've reached a whole new level of stupid. "Beautiful Jess", "Cool James", and "Meowth Jr."? Really? It was a bit comical, I guess, but the number of times they referred to those names in the episode drained all the humor out of it - that is, until Jessie's line about Cool James sounding like a hippie name. That was great.

Also, we get a great performance by Bunnelby in this episode. Bunnelby's always been the "caretaker", if you will, of Chespin, Eevee, Dedenne, and now Squishy. I absolutely love how he deliberately sets Dedenne and Squishy behind him and turns to try and take on Team Rocket on his own, because ever since the episode where Bunnelby and Chespin went on an errand together, we've seen much more of Bunnelby's maturity.

And a couple of other quick things: The eventual friendship between Chespin, Pancham, and Quilladin was very cute, but I'm a little surprised at Pancham's actions in this episode. Was Pancham being protective of Eevee, or is he in love with her, too? I thought it was just Chespin that loved Eevee. Either way, it's cute and very believable how Dedenne was the one who got Bunnelby, Squishy, and Eevee into the trap. But I have a very hard time believing that Talonflame and Noibat couldn't find Team Rocket's balloon within about thirty seconds. Talonflame can fly so much faster than the balloon can.

Before I watched the episode, I was planning on giving it something close to a 5 or 6, just because of the whole "Pokémon in love" storyline that is kind of old by this point. I have to say, though, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed watching it. 8/10.

Am I the only one who thought of the Naruto Harem Jutsu when Eevee used Double Team and caused Quiladin to collapse, or was that just me?

A classical filler, yet a nice one!

I wish Professor Sycamore had revealed more about Squishy but I guess they did it on purpose to keep up the suspense.
What I liked most about the episode was the teamwork between Chespin, Quiladdin and Pancham. That looked really smooth and professional.
By the way, I always wonder how it might feell like for a Pokemon to meet its evolved form? Do they see it as some kind of role model or rather as rival?

A decent episode.

Pokemon Day and a busy week kept me from seeing this episode until now.

Eh, I've seen more demented love stories than this (*coughDisney'sTheHunchbackofNotreDamecough*). But this episode was still lots of fun. I'd say this was the XYZ season's first funny episode.

I love one of Jessie's motto lines being "To protect the world from dumb Pokemon names!" I think we could all give her a very expansive list of names to avoid giving (V****** being at the top of my list).

Did anyone else notice how disappointed Bonnie sounded when she said: "'Chespin evolves into that?"

I felt like she basically spoke for lots of Pokemon fans who had that kind of reaction to when Quilladin was first revealed.

I also loled at 'evolves into that', the double team, the heart Vine Whips, etc.

Was good to see Team Rocket's Pokemon actually win tbh, even if it was brief. Since it's fully evolved, Gorgeist should win more.

Quilladin was probably one of those 'treat them mean to keep them Keen' guys...

Overall an okay episode I guess

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom