• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP08: A Dancing Debut!

As far as episodes go, like the other Showcase episodes, this was a good one. In comparison to those other Showcase episodes though, this was honestly my least favorite so far.

I do like how they showed Eevee being really shy and nervous upon arriving to the Showcase hall. I liked seeing Palermo again, but I really wish she would have done something aside from seeing the Serena in the beginning and just watching the showcase. She could have spoken to Serena at the end of the Showcase or something. This silence is rather annoying. I have to say once again, I love that Pancham sleeps with his glasses on. That's just so cute. And I loved the scene of Serena and her other Pokemon comforting Eevee.

I'm extremely pissed that TR tried cheat for Jessie to win the Showcase more easily, which only makes me even more furious that she ended up passing the first round. Trying to cheat shouldn't end in victory, it should end in failure. Especially since they were wrong and thought the Theme Performance would based on hat making. She definitely should have failed.

Thrilled to see Nini again and her Smoochum crushing on Pancham. Though to be honest, I was rather disappointed to see that her new Pokemon was a Gothita. Not only because I don't care all that much for the species, but because it's really similar in body style and design to Smoochum. Not to mention that they're both Psychic types. Heck, in both her Pokepuff performance and her Freestyle Performance, Smoochum and Gothita did pretty much the exact same thing as each other; with Gothia only using Psychic as a difference.

I did like that for this Pokepuff based Theme Performance they were judging how they made the Pokepuff, rather than mainly judging the taste like in the earlier Showcase. That's pretty interesting and a nice change. Nini's was okay, but again it was mainly due to herself and Farfetch'd since Smoochum and Gothita were just doing the same thing. I like how she used 3 Pokemon, but I just wish the 3rd was something other than Gothita. Serena's was nice. Pancham was cute drumming on the pans and bottles, but I wish he would have done more actual baking since he was the only Pokemon Serena used. The only thing that interested me with Jessie's was the end where Meowth imprinted his charm on the Pokepuff. That was very creative, but like I said, I strongly feel she should have lost this round.

2 minor things I just want to say. I like how Clemont put berries in Eevee's food to get her to eat and the Performer with the Leafeon and Glaeon had an amazing design.

Moving on, I'm glad we finally got to see Nini's Heartbreak Performance in an actual Showcase. Also Farfetch'd's outfit was amazing. But for the 3rd time, Smoochum and Gothita's similarities made the performance a bit lackluster. And I felt it was rather short. Jessie's was a bit better simply because her Pokemon had different body styles and because of Gourgeist. Otherwise it was pretty meh. Wobbufett did nothing but use Mirror Coat and Counter to bounce back Jessie's body and Gourgeist's attacks, while Gourgeist made everything happen. Heck, I think it would have been better had she also included Meowth. I already figured Serena would lose since she won her last 2 Showcases and because of Eevee's shyness. But as soon as Eevee fell, I was certain. Her performance was beautiful overall, and her comeback after Eevee's mishap was great, but that fall man. Also, even though she only used Pancham for the 1st round, I wish she would have used him in her freestyle. So far, Nini today is the only Freestyle Performance that's been seen using more than 2 Pokemon. The rules say Performers can use their entire team, but most only use up to 2. I hope we see a 6 Pokemon Freestlye performance at some point.

I'm really pissed that Jessie won the whole Showcase. I really wish Nini would have won. Lackluster Freestyle Performance, but at least she didn't try to cheat. Oh well, maybe next time. Also James annoyed the hell out of me this entire episode with his constant cheering.

Better luck next time Eevee and Nini. Overall an ok episode, but my least favorite Showcase. 7/10.

Looks like Ash is reading the title for this episode in the dub instead of Serena. Oh well. It was a nice performance. The only thing matters me is that Jessie won the her first key. I feel sorry for Eevee, but Serena did a good job. Maybe next time she will win.

I really liked this episode; it was fun to watch and it wasn't boring.

1.) Serena's theme performance didn't wow me but her freestyle was really good and enjoyable to watch.
2.) Jesse's theme and freestyle was my favorite all around in this episode and was happy she got her first key, but she does need to learn some humility lol. :D
3.) Nene's prformance overall didn't wow me but it was okay.

Loved Chespin and his glutton like tendencies & Pancham was cool and adorable as always; they are always a treasure to watch. :cool: :love:
Eevee is still the cutest thing ever and you can tell how much Eevee trusts Serena; it just makes my heart melt with happiness everytime Eevee is in an episode. :love:

I must say I was impressed with Meowth in the theme performance; he's the reason I liked Jesse's theme performance so much. :D (y)

Eevee is freaking adorable. Every time she appears, my heart melts.

Okay, so Serena's fourth Showcase happened today. And predictably, she didn't win. They weren't gonna make it that easy for her, after all. It does bother me a bit that the only two Showcases Serena has lost so far were due to mistakes rather than someone else truly outperforming her. It'd be a bit more realistic if she gave it her all and the audience still preferred someone else... but I'm not that annoyed by it. Palermo finally reappeared, and it's obvious that she sees something special in Serena. It's amazing to me that she recognizes Serena after all this time, especially with the haircut and Fennekin's evolution and whatnot - but like I said, she saw something special in Serena, so maybe it just stuck with her.

Gotta love Chespin. Chespin's begging for the Poké Puffs during the performances was the cutest thing ever, and I love Clemont's reactions to it. Either way, the thing with Chespin drooling over the Poké Puffs and then sitting like a statue when Clemont promised to have Serena bake some extra puffs was a nice addition. I always love the little things in each episode.

While we're on the subject of the theme performance, Jessie, James, and Meowth have reached a whole new level of stupid. Just... wow. First of all, why would the people running the Showcases draw a Poké Puff on a piece of paper that Jessie could conveniently steal? And second of all, how in the world did they not recognize it at as a Poké Puff? Anyway, the entire theme performance in general was pretty lackluster for me. They already did Poké Puff-related things - admittedly, not with the "performance" aspect to it, but still. And I've still got a huge problem with the audience deciding who advances and who doesn't in Showcases. That makes them come down to nothing more than popularity contests.

Serena's performance was, as usual, great. I absolutely adore Eevee's outfit, and even with Eevee's fall it was fun to watch. Nothing really "stood out" per se, but I liked that Palermo obviously enjoyed it. But at the end, I'm disappointed they didn't show the little key meters to let us see how many votes everyone got. Yeah, we know Jessie won, but by how much did Serena lose? I want to know!

Also, Jessie's victory. Her performance is a perfect example of why Showcases should be judged by a panel of judges and not by the audience. The entire performance was designed to make herself look good - she didn't do all that much in the way of showing off Gourgeist and Meowth outside of their flashy moves. Jessie's attitude about Pokémon Showcases is completely wrong - it's the Contests all over again, she thinks too much about herself and not nearly enough about her Pokémon. I'd have been happiest if the key had gone to one of the other nameless Performers rather than Nini, Serena, or Jessie.

I also think Nini's makeup is ugly as sin. But whatever.

So I know I said a lot of negative things in this review, but I definitely liked this episode. It was a great performance by Eevee, and Eevee's slip-up was not at all out of line with her personality and shyness. The audience's cheers overwhelmed her, which is completely realistic. I really want to know why Eevee's so scared of new people and Pokémon anyway - being shy is one thing, but trembling in fear is quite another. I wonder if something traumatic happened to her that we'll hear more about later, sort of like we did with Goomy. Anyway, I give this episode a 7/10.

Good episode, but got ruined because of the bland background music.

My Jessie did win, so that's a plus.

8/10

Finally watched this episode and it was OK. I liked it but compared to pass showcase episodes i would argue this being the weaker episode because of this not being that impactful or serious as others. I will agree with everyone and say that Jessie winning this was pretty good but just how it was staged kinda felt too sketchy and staged which i could see why people might not enjoy this and the fact that Nini was here was also pretty meh as well. Still liked the interactions between everyone and the Pokemon but overall I'd say this is an episode that you take in with a grain of salt because what goes wrong here. I give this a 7/10(y)

I'm really glad Jessie won, I thought her performance was easily the best. Honestly Serena's poke puff making was the least impressive, she maybe shouldn't have even gone to the second round. Still I'm glad to see Eevee perform, I wish she would've used an attack. Eevee's outfit was way to much, it made me think of when Dawn had to learn the hard way that she was supposed to show off her Pokemon with her Ambipom. A subtle outfit like the flower hat was much better for Eevee. It was nice to see Braixen use fire blast for the first time in a while, I'm still wondering it if she will even learn psychic or psyshock. I do not like Nini at all, she is a pretty dull character, and the way she dressed up farfetch'd was awful. Overall it was a good episode. It brought back D&P memories with Jessie actually winning something, and she actually was really good and she used Wobbuffet very well.

You know I'm not really into Pokemon Performances because the concept of Pokemon Contests was far far better and in most cases what the performers do is just jumping and dancing around on stage...Meh, seriously? That's why I won't comment on this episode in detail, just a few minor points:

- Serena's performance was...well, what exacxtly was it? If you asked me, I couldn't even describe it and that's what I was trying to say about the uselessness of Pokemon Performances at the beginning.
- Jessie was definitely the best this time because, in spite of her trying to cheat at first, she put up a remarkable and creative show. She deserved to win, no doubt about that.
- Who agrees with me that Nini is really ugly and rather looks like an old lady?
- Baking PokePuffs as part of the show? What for? That's plain boring and why should somebody want to see that?
- One last positive aspect, though: I really like that village, the stage and the scenery. All those waterfalls looked really nice and I'm almost a bit disappointed this couldn't be the stage for the master class because it's definitely a worthy location for such a contest.

All in all, well... a Pokemon Performance-episode...enough said. Let's move on to the next one :)

Hasn't there been pokepuff baking in all Showcases? how would it be anything BUT that? and it would be a freaky looking hat.

It was one of the better Showcases I guess but I'd rather still avoid them. Jessie wins though woo! I wanted to see the final results.

Also one thought I had, how is Serena ALWAYS on last?

Hasn't there been pokepuff baking in all Showcases? how would it be anything BUT that? and it would be a freaky looking hat.

It was one of the better Showcases I guess but I'd rather still avoid them. Jessie wins though woo! I wanted to see the final results.

Also one thought I had, how is Serena ALWAYS on last?
Because the writers assume everyone will think she's most important and therefore The Fresh Princess of Kalos/Bell-air. Kek.

Also, it adds much more tension.

Personally I am not thrilled at all how they felt they had to change Eevee's voice. She was perfect already...Same with Puni-Chan's (Squishy's) voices being changed. Was there really any reason at all to change the non speaking voices such as Zydoge's roar? Dogasu was right when he said that TPCi will change things just to change things...

Personally I am not thrilled at all how they felt they had to change Eevee's voice. She was perfect already...Same with Puni-Chan's (Squishy's) voices being changed. Was there really any reason at all to change the non speaking voices such as Zydoge's roar? Dogasu was right when he said that TPCi will change things just to change things...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Eevee's voice hasn't been changed since its second episode.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Eevee's voice hasn't been changed since its second episode.
I checked it out just out of curiosity and they did change its voice from the first time the dub got to it...I just don't see a point in changing the voice. It was perfect as is..Same with Zygarde dog's roar...No need to change it. It sounds way off and lazy..

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom