• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP13: A Meeting of Two Journeys!

Meh.

So, guess we're starting off with a battle. Ok. Well, I did like how Bonnie actually cheered Sawyer on. And the glorious return of Hawlucha's poses. Sucks that Sawyer got stuck with that stupid sword, but I guess that hopefully means no one else will get one. Honestly though, this entire battle was pretty lame, but I suppose that's what happens when battles start in media res. All we saw of Sawyer's newly evolved Shelgon was it being KO'd by Hawlucha. Poor thing didn't even get to use a move on screen. Then the ugly sword gets OHKO'd by one Thunderbolt after only getting to use one move. (Nice treatment for the new Mon, eh). Sceptile vs. Greninja, as expected, was the only match with some depth, but even then, it still just amounted to Greninja getting thrashed by Sceptile until he got his power boost. It's also annoying since this battle was almost the same as their last 3 on 3. Hawlucha pwns a mon, Pikachu pwns a mon, and the newly evolved Greninja vs. Sceptile with Ash winning. Talonflame and Noibat taking the first two battles would have been much nicer. Well, at least Sceptile's face when he was knocked out was amusing.

And then, just like that, Sawyer leaves? First we don't even get to see him meet up with the group, then he just leaves after his battle and a conversation with Ash and co.? Ok, I seriously think this episode should have been split into 2 separate episodes. Sawyer's appearance was rushed as hell and overall extremely mediocre. They may as well have had this episode been solely focusing on Alain and Team Flare and given Sawyer a decent appearance some other time.

Moving on, it's nice to see Team Flare up to something. Damn...they made a tree grow. Cool I guess. And enter TR with their Pikaplot. Lol at Ash swinging on dat pole though. That was certainly entertaining. But seriously Ash, you couldn't have sent out Talonflame or Noibat to chase TR before jumping out of your window? And it looks like no one else brought their Pokemon either... Well good thing Alain was stalking you and is here to save the day.

I will say that Ash and Alain's battle was better than the first one, mainly due to the fact that Sawyer's was rushed and rehashed. But as a whole it was still far to short to enjoy. And I hope we get some decent explanations about Greninja's transformation soon. It's really odd seeing Ash use this mysterious power up that he knows nearly nothing about.

Everything I needed to say I already said. This episode would have benefited if Sawyer's battle took place in a different episode so both of these battles could have been less rushed. 6/10. Not terrible, but not good.

I think the Mega Evolution dialogue ("beyond evolution, mega evolve") is kind of lame, overdramatic, and too similar to digivolution, for that reason I'm only rating the episode 6/10.

I think what surprises me is how civil Alain and Ash are. I was expecting more Trip/Paul related dialogue. They may not be on the same side now, but I can see the two becoming good friends as the story moves forward.

I can see Sawyer becoming Ash's achiles heel at the Pokemon League, which kind of stinks, I find Sawyer absolutely annoying.

I think the Mega Evolution dialogue ("beyond evolution, mega evolve") is kind of lame, overdramatic, and too similar to digivolution, for that reason I'm only rating the episode 6/10.

I think what surprises me is how civil Alain and Ash are. I was expecting more Trip/Paul related dialogue. They may not be on the same side now, but I can see the two becoming good friends as the story moves forward.

I can see Sawyer becoming Ash's achiles heel at the Pokemon League, which kind of stinks, I find Sawyer absolutely annoying.

Now why an Achilles' Heel at the Pokémon League? His method of learning his opponents beforehand and exploit their weakness seems to set up a scenario where Ash will have to outthink him to win. And considering what is to come, Ash will need to change to prepare himself for the battles to come.

The battle between Alain and Ash could have been better if it were longer. And the battle with Shota was too much of a one sided battle.

Now why an Achilles' Heel at the Pokémon League? His method of learning his opponents beforehand and exploit their weakness seems to set up a scenario where Ash will have to outthink him to win. And considering what is to come, Ash will need to change to prepare himself for the battles to come.

Well, what you said only happens in a perfect world. Cameron was a bit of an idiot in my opinion, but that didn't stop Ash from losing to him. The writers never let things go in Ash's favor.

Well, what you said only happens in a perfect world. Cameron was a bit of an idiot in my opinion, but that didn't stop Ash from losing to him. The writers never let things go in Ash's favor.

Well, I would say more... but they involve spoilers from episodes already aired in Japan.

A great episode! Finally Ash and Alan, one of the strongest and most promising trainers in that region get to meet. How great!

Also, we get to see Ash-Greninja which has probably been the writers' best idea besides Mega Evolution since D/P. I simply love that concept of becoming one with your Pokemon. It epitomizes a higher level of skill, a higher kind of consciousness, a higher degree of perfection...Sorry, I'm always getting all hyped up when thinking about it. Just a perfect concept!

I just hope we'll get much more Alan and Ash/Ash-Greninja action. The show absolutely needs that!

Sawyer got wrecked. Ash already won when he was 2-0 up, so they could've given the meaningless third win to Scottie I mean Swayer. We also didn't get to see battle one at all...

Both Team Flare and Rocket not giving a shit about damage to property.

Must be the first time TR have thought of taking Pikachu at night. ...maybe one day they can try and have Meowth pick their lock and steal Pikachu quietly, then fly off into the night back to Kanto. Too much to ask, I suppose.

Ash you could've just sent in your 15 Flying types, or Greninja to use Ninja Shurikin. It's a fucking baloon.

TR as an excuse for Ash to meet Alain, cool. Must be the first time Charizard has been seen fighting outside of his mega form.

Battle ends when one Pokemon is unable to continue. Agreed? agreed! what else would it have been, a body slam match?

Pretty cool battle but I cringe at Cut. Ash'Greninja probably needed a loss just so it isn't something stupidly overpowered just cuz. Guess Alain added Thunderpunch after getting wrecked by Mega Blastoise. Good thinking.

There were moments in the dub where I felt a lack of consideration for how epic the battle was intended to be. I've only just started watching the anime again in Japanese with the first episode of XY&Z, and I'm glad I did, because the dub is very.......... anti-climatic.

I understand they rarely use the same music from the original episode (which is actually very devastating, the music is crazy good)... but it's like they gave Ash less to say in the dub? It was like he seemed way more confident with the form in English, than in Japanese? I hope they give more reasonable dialogue to Ash during this time, it is supposed to be a climax in the series before the league, why hinder it with less-than-exciting shouting and movements (which in the dub) don't coincide with the speech/action.

I can't complain about Natochenny, she's definitely improved MILES since she started, but I feel it dipping again.......... The Ash-Greninja thing is a BIG deal and something that's hardly ever happened in the anime, she needs to STEP up the vocal aggression imo. The dub just came across very 'weak' in terms of speech this episode.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom